✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Your on a roll.

I believe we should be open to the DELUGE that the Spirit wants to pour out on us all.

EVEN Billy Graham said he had a POWER encounter - and although he has never claimed to have speoken in tongues -I reckon he was FULL of the Spirit.

His ministry, despite no miracles, evidenced this.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT
WHAT ARE THEY ?

The Holy Spirit is still working today.

1. He draws saints together.
I Cor. 12:13,27
"...HAVE ALL BEEN MADE TO DRINK INTO ONE SPIRIT...NOW YE ARE THE BODY OF CHRIST, AND MEMBERS IN PARTICULAR..."

2. He sends and operates the gifts through the saints.

I Cor. 12:28
"GOD HATH SET SOME IN THE CHURCH, FIRST APOSTLES, SECONDARILY PROPHETS..."

Eph. 4:8, 11, 12
"WHEN HE ASCENDED UP ON HIGH, HE LED CAPTIVITY CAPTIVE AND GAVE GIFTS UNTO MEN...FOR THE PERFECTING OF THE SAINTS, FOR THE WORK OF THE MINISTRY, FOR THE EDIFYING OF THE BODY OF CHRIST, TILL WE ALL COME INTO THE UNITY OF THE FAITH..."

3. He helps in the preaching of the gospel.

I Th. 1:5-6
"FOR OUR GOSPEL CAME NOT UNTO YOU IN WORD ONLY, BUT ALSO IN POWER, AND IN THE HOLY SPIRIT..."

Acts 10:44
"THE HOLY SPIRIT FELL ON THEM THAT HEARD THE WORD."

4. He aids prayers.

Rom. 8:26-27
"LIKEWISE THE SPIRIT HELPS OUR INFIRMITIES, FOR WE KNOW NOT WHAT WE SHOULD PRAY..."

Ephesians 6:18
"PRAYING ALWAYS WITH ALL PRAYER AND SUPPLICATION IN THE SPIRIT..."

Jude 20
"BUT YE, BELOVED, BUILDING UP YOURSELVES ON YOUR MOST HOLY FAITH, PRAYING IN THE HOLY SPIRIT..."

5. He gives gifts of miraculous power to help the saints do the work of the Lord.

I Cor. 12:4
"NOW THERE ARE VARIETIES OF GIFTS, BUT THE SAME SPIRIT..."

+++++++

Before we proceed, we need to understand the difference between the GRACES, the OFFICES, and the GIFTS of the Spirit. Too many confuse these three, and some neglect one or more of the three. A correct understanding of them is necessary.

GRACES are the fruit of the Spirit as listed in Galatians 5:22-23. These are given to all Christians at the moment of salvation. These are:
"LOVE, JOY, PEACE, LONGSUFFERING, GENTLENESS, GOODNESS, FAITH, MEEKNESS, TEMPERANCE..."

These are the evidence that the Lord has made the saint into a "new creation." We are to be recognized as a child of God by these signs. Like the fig tree that the Lord cursed after coming to it expecting to find figs, and found none; many today are supposed to have these fruit, and have ceased to bear the fruit that the Lord desires. ( Mark 11:12-14) As in the Old Testament, when Isaac returned to find the wells that Abraham had dug, he found they had been filled with stones.

The fresh water seemed to be gone. Yet when the stones were all removed, the fresh water still was there in the well. In the same way, many Christians seem to have little of the fruit evident in their lives. If they remove the stones of unforgiveness, apathy, sin, doubt, etc, the wells are still able to produce a fresh flow of good water.

The OFFICES of the Spirit are the plan of the Lord for the administration of the local churches. The Spirit's plan for the rule, guiding, feeding, and guarding of the church include these offices.

Christ is the Head (Eph. 1:22, Col.1:18)
Elders (I Tim. 3:1-7)
Deacons (I Tim. 3:8-13)
Priests (I Pet.2:5,9)
"YE ALSO, AS LIVELY STONES, ARE BUILT UP A SPIRITUAL HOUSE, AN HOLY PRIESTHOOD."

Since we are all "priests" and there is only One Mediator between us and the Father, we do not answer spiritually to the elders and deacons. The other offices are not meant to be "heads" over the priests, but rather to be "examples."

I Peter 5:3
"NEITHER AS BEING LORDS OVER GOD'S HERITAGE, BUT BEING EXAMPLES TO THE FLOCK."

The GIFTS of the Spirit are divine endowments of special power for service in the body of Christ. These are God-given abilities, strengths, and divine endowments. They are not natural talents. Natural talents are given of God through genetics. Talents are received at birth. Talents should be dedicated to God for His use. However, the gifts of the Spirit are given of God, independent of the parents. They are received at conversion, or later. They are to be used as God directs. The gifts are not talents already present, that now must be increased. The gifts are not more of what was already present. The gifts of the Spirit are not enhancements.

The gifts are not received from schooling or training. The gifts are endowments of the supernatural. They are manifestations of the Spirit as He works through the saint as His vessel.

Four words are used in the Greek to refer to the gifts.

1. Charismata - This refers to them being gifts of God's love and mercy. ( I Pet. 4:10, Rom. 12:6, I Cor. 12:4,9, 28,30,31)

2. Pneumatikos - This emphasizes that they are gifts that proceed from the Holy Spirit. (I Cor. 14:1)

3. Phanerosis - This word emphasizes that they are a manifestation of the Spirit. (I Cor. 12:9, II Cor. 4:2)

4. Domata - This word stresses the reality of the gift, rather that the beneficial nature of the gift. (Lk. 11:13, Eph. 4:8, Mt. 7:11)

These gifts cannot be earned, they are freely given of God to His children. These gifts are a manifestation, a showing forth, a making visible of the power and workings of God. The focus of the exercise of the gifts is not on the Holy Spirit, nor on the person the is operating the gift. The focus of the gifts are to be on the magnifying and glorifying of Jesus Christ.

There are several ways to classify the gifts of the Spirit. Here we will divide them into five classifications.

1. Those that impart the power to know:
word of wisdom
word of knowledge
discernment of spirits

2. Those that impart the power to act supernaturally:
faith
miracles
healings

3. Those that impart the power to speak supernaturally:
prophecy
tongues
interpretation of tongues

4. Those that aid one's own ministry:
pastor-teacher
evangelism
apostleship
exhortation
teaching

5. Those that give help to the ministry of others:
shewing mercy
administration
giving
helps
intercession

These gifts are spoken of in many places within the Bible. Please check and read the lists given in these references.
Romans 12:6-8
Ephesians 4:11
I Peter 4:11
I Corinthians 12:6-10, 28-30

Every believer may have one or all, as he covets them and seeks God. (I Cor. 12:8-31, 1:5-7, Romans. 1:11, 12:3-8, John 14:12, Mark. 16:15-20, 9:23)

These gifts are distributed to every individual believer.

Ephesian 4:7
"BUT TO EACH ONE OF US GRACE WAS GIVEN ACCORDING TO THE MEASURE OF CHRIST'S GIFT."

I Cor. 12:7
"BUT TO EACH ONE OF US IS GIVEN THE MANIFESTATION OF THE SPIRIT FOR THE COMMON GOOD."

I Cor. 12:11
"BUT ONE AND SAME SPIRIT WORKS ALL THESE THINGS, DISTRIBUTING TO EACH ONE INDIVIDUALLY JUST AS HE WILLS."

I Peter 4:10
"AS EACH ONE HAS RECEIVED A SPECIAL GIFT, EMPLOY IT IN SERVING ONE ANOTHER, AS GOOD STEWARDS OF THE MANIFOLD GRACE OF GOD."

These gifts of the Spirit are dispensed on the basis of grace, unmerited favor. We do not deserve them. We cannot earn them. There is a danger amidst the saints to go to one of two extremes. We could have arrogant pride and feel that we earned, and deserve the gifts. We could brag on them. This is wrong. The other extreme is equally dangerous. We could feel it is presumptuous to think that God would give us a gift.

We could shy away from His gifts so much that He would be unable to manifest the gifts through us. We should simply accept the gifts as unmerited favor. We should acknowledge the reception of the gifts, and humbly use them for the glory of God, not ourselves.

Remember these facts:

You have at least one gift.

You may have more than one.

You probably will not have all the gifts, for the Bible indicates that God wants us to be dependent upon each other. (I Cor, 12:15-21)

Your gifts are essential to the efficient functioning of the church. ( I Cor. 12:14-18)

Not one gift is higher that the others, for all are needed. The way in which God rewards us for the use of our gifts is how we use, or misuse it, the exercising of it willingly, or the neglecting or burying of it. The key is faithfulness with your use of the gift. The reward is not on the basis of what gifts you have, but on how you faithfully use the gifts you have been given.

The purpose of the gifts of the Spirit is to enable us to do the works of Christ. We need to carry on the work that He began. (Acts 1:1-2, 12-15, I Cor. 1:7, 12:4-31, 14:1-40, Rom. 12:3-8, Heb. 2:3-4) The ministry which we are commanded to do is to be confirmed by the signs and wonders which emanate through the exercise of the gifts. (Mark 16:15-20, Romans 15:18-19, 29)

The possession of gifts does not necessarily indicate that one is spiritual. Corinth displayed many gifts - but they were not very spiritual. (I Cor. 3:1-4) Corinth was torn by divisions, and lawsuits; they had drunkenness and gluttony. In Corinth, some denied Paul's apostolic ministry. Some denied the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Paul said you can have various gifts and not have love. He indicated that in these cases, the exercise of gifts will profit nothing. (I Cor. 13:1-2)

Where are the gifts today? Some churches find the subject of gifts to be strange. Some saints have not discovered or allowed the use of their gifts. Some do not even know what gifts are available. The church age is the Age of the Spirit. We are to have the Holy Spirit working and manifesting gifts through us during this church age.

For many, the Holy Spirit is just the last part of the doxology. To know the Spirit in that way is like understanding the workings of all the parts of the car, except the starter and accelerator. The Holy Spirit and His gifts have been neglected too much. We need to know Him as a Person, speak with Him regularly, and allow Him to work through us.

The fruit of the Spirit was given to us at salvation. We need to continue to develop and harvest these. However, the gifts of the Spirit need to be coveted, and sought. The Spirit has gifts for each of us. Don't feel, as many have, that "I'll take the fruit, others can have the gifts." If Jesus had felt that way, He would have had to tell the sick, blind, etc, - "I love you." Yet, He could do more than that - He could love them by exercising the gifts of healing, and the gift of miracles.
Paul admonished us to learn about the gifts.

I Cor. 12:1
"NOW CONCERNING SPIRITUAL GIFTS, BRETHREN, I WOULD NOT HAVE YOU IGNORANT."

If we do not learn how to receive and operate these gifts, we will fail to do the ministry of the Lord as He has planned. We need the gifts of the Spirit operating in the church. If we are ignorant of these gifts, we will find that the devil will have a "hay day" with his gifts.

False gifts the devil will endow:
Gift of faultfinding
Gift of hypocrisy
Gift of discouragement
Gift of unfaithfulness
Gift of pessimism
Gift of unbelief and doubt
Gift of dissatisfaction
Gift of slamming with the tongue
Gift of interpretation of slams
Gift of misdirecting others
etc.

Let's learn about the gifts that the Holy Spirit wants to endow upon us. We can have a church full of the gifts of the Spirit.

Don't let jealousy come into the body of believers. In Corinth, this happened. The arm can sometimes be jealous of the hand, and the eye can be jealous of the ear, etc. What if Nathan had been jealous of David's gifts? What if Moses had been jealous of Aaron's?

Too often in the church, the hindrance of the ministry of many gifts, is the jealousy, or the fear to upset the feelings of another. The pastor may be jealous of one with the gift of teaching. The teacher may be jealous of the administration gift of a deacon. These things hinder the gospel proclamation.

They ought not to be in the assembly of believers. The Lord is the head, and one may plant, another may water, but the Lord will give the increase. If David had stopped Nathan from exercising his gift, David may have died in his sin. Paul disagreed with Barnabas exercising his gift of exhortation on John Mark, and it caused a split of these two men of God. Paul was out of order in his stand, yet did not recognize it until later. We must be very careful trying to be the "head", and telling others not to exercise their gifts. The Spirit will direct the exercising of the gifts, learn to follow Him.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
THE GIFT OF PROPHETIC UTTERANCE

There are some gifts of the Spirit that are known as the "vocal gifts," as the "gifts of inspiration," and as the "utterance gifts." These are perhaps the most discussed gifts. There is much confusion and disagreement concerning these gifts. In Corinth, Paul found much abuse of the "vocal" gifts. Still, we find abuse of these gifts.

THE GIFT OF PROPHETIC UTTERANCE IS ONE OF THREE VOCAL GIFTS

I Corinthians 12:10
"...TO ANOTHER PROPHECY...TO ANOTHER DIVERS KINDS OF TONGUES; TO ANOTHER THE INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES..."

THE GIFT OF PROPHECY is a direct revelation from God that is given as one begins to speak. It does not necessarily pass through the thinking process first. Like the gift of tongues, it passes through the lips with direction from the mind of the Spirit.

The nature of the gift of prophecy is described by Paul. He indicated that the gift should be validated by two or three prophets that confirm the same truth.

He also said the gift needed to be judged.

When another begins to speak, the first prophet should be quiet and allow the next to proceed.

The purpose seems to be spelled out as a method to "learn," and a method for God to give "comfort."

The prophecy is subject to the prophet, meaning the prophet may speak it or not, he is not under some compelling force that makes him speak. The possessor is responsible for its use or misuse.

I Corinthians 14:29-32
"LET THE PROPHETS SPEAK BY TWO OR THREE, AND LET THE OTHER JUDGE. IF ANY THING BE REVEALED TO ANOTHER THAT SITTETH BY, LET THE FIRST HOLD HIS PEACE. FOR YE MAY ALL PROPHESY ONE BY ONE, THAT ALL MAY LEARN, AND ALL MAY BE COMFORTED. AND THE SPIRITS OF THE PROPHETS ARE SUBJECT TO THE PROPHETS."

Like the other gifts, this one also is bestowed by the laying on of hands.

I Timothy 4:14
"NEGLECT NOT THE GIFT THAT IS IN THEE, WHICH WAS GIVEN THEE BY PROPHECY, WITH THE LAYING ON OF HANDS."

This gift is not restricted to males. Philip had four daughters and they had this gift.

Acts 21:8-9
"ENTERED INTO THE HOUSE OF PHILIP THE EVANGELIST, WHICH WAS ONE OF THE SEVEN; AND ABODE WITH HIM. AND THE SAME MAN HAD FOUR DAUGHTERS, VIRGINS, WHICH DID PROPHESY."

Joel's prophecy said that "YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY."

Many women are included in the list of church leaders given by Paul in Romans 16 (Phebe, Priscilla, Mary, Tryphena, Tryphosa, Persis, Julia).

The Holy Spirit distributes these gifts "AS HE WILL" fortunately, for many would like to limit them to one sex, or to the clergy, etc.

This gift is a foundation gift for the church. It must not be confused with the word of wisdom, or the word of knowledge.
Those are for revelation to the mind of facts or the purpose of God. They may or may not be spoken by the person receiving them. The gift of prophecy, however, is spoken as it is received. It is not for guidance, but for edification, exhortation, and comfort. (I Cor. 14:3)

The gift of prophecy is a supernatural utterance in the known tongue of the speaker.

It is a miracle of divine utterance that has nothing to do with human thought.

The acid test for validity of this gift is the Word of God.
All prophetic messages should be tested by the Word.

One should never misuse or suppress these utterances.

Yet, false utterances should never be tolerated.

A prophecy that is determined as unscriptural should be pronounced worthless, and repudiated, without fear.

A false utterance is detected by:

the wrong spirit of the speaker,

a rebuke or an unseemly utterance,

a message that glorifies man, and not the Lord,

an unscriptural utterance,

a message that attempts to establish or begin a new doctrine,

a message that produces "fruit" in the hearers that is unseemly,

the anger of the prophet if his message is not obeyed.

The purposes of the gift of prophecy are these.

1. God wants to speak to mankind supernaturally.
2. God wants to edify believers.
3. God wants to exhort the church.
4. God wants to comfort the distressed, and weak.
5. God wants to convict the unbeliever by speaking directly to him, and manifesting the secrets of his heart. (I Cor. 14:24-25)

We are instructed to greatly desire this gift.

I Corinthians 14:1, 39
"FOLLOW AFTER CHARITY, AND DESIRE SPIRITUAL GIFTS, BUT RATHER THAT YE MAY PROPHESY... COVET TO PROPHESY..."

The word "covet" is from the Greek word -zeloo. It means "to strive for, to be eager for, enthusiastically zealous."

It obviously sounds as though God wants us to really want this gift. It is essential to the proper functioning of the church.

It takes faith to exercise this gift. To begin to speak forth a prophecy, not knowing what may be spoken forth takes a great deal of faith.

Romans 12:6
"LET US PROPHESY ACCORDING TO THE PROPORTION OF FAITH..."

We must be careful to give the proper respect to prophetic messages that are valid. Some do not listen to them, some ignore, some show disrespect during the message. These messages are given by the Spirit as a message from Jesus, or God, the Father. To hold them in low esteem is to insult the Trinity. If the Spirit is inspiring these messages, the disregarding of them will greatly grieve Him.

I Thessalonians 5:20
"DESPISE NOT PROPHESYINGS."

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
THE GIFT OF TONGUES

THE GIFT OF TONGUES is the ability to give a message from God in an unknown language.

It needs an interpreter to be understood.

The purpose is to edify the church.

This gift is different from the use of the prayer language that is received when one is filled with the Spirit initially. The prayer language is given for self-edification. It is given to be used for private prayer to God. The gift of tongues may be the same language, yet it is different gift to be used to edify a body of believers.

Since this is one of the most questioned of the gifts, it is the one we are most often compelled to discuss.

It is a gift that is received by many people, and thus also is often discussed in Christian circles. It was the first gift questioned on the day of Pentecost - "WHAT MEANETH THIS ?" (Acts 2:12)

The languages of this gift are said to be the languages of men, or angels. The speaker does not understand the language, but the Holy Spirit uses the vocal cords, tongue, and lips of a Spirit-filled saint and speaks through that one a message from God or Christ.

It does not come into the mind first, but flows though the mouth and the speaker listens to it as the others present do. It has nothing to do with linguistic ability, or with the mind, or with the intellect.

There are specific uses for the prayer language that all Spirit-filled believers receive.

These are:
1.The tongues, or prayer language, is one of the physical evidences of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

As on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4), and at Caesarea eight years later when the Gentiles received (Acts 10:46), and at Ephesus, 23 years later, (Acts 19:6), the reception of the Holy Spirit was climaxed with the unknown tongues.

2. The prayer language is given to allow Spirit-filled people to speak supernaturally to God. (I Cor. 14:2)

On the Day of Pentecost, the people heard the 120 magnifying God in these tongues.
We also will glorify God with this prayer language.

3.A third reason for the prayer language is that we may be edified by the worship.

Our own spirits pray and request things that our conscience minds are unaware we need.

I Cor. 14:4, 14
"HE THAT SPEAKS IN A TONGUE EDIFIES HIMSELF...I WILL PRAY WITH THE SPIRIT, AND I WILL PRAY WITH THE UNDERSTANDING ALSO."

Romans 8:26-27
"...THE SPIRIT ALSO HELPETH OUR INFIRMITIES; FOR WE KNOW NOT WHAT WE SHOULD PRAY FOR AS WE OUGHT; BUT THE SPIRIT HIMSELF MAKETH INTERCESSION FOR THE SAINTS ACCORDING TO THE WILL OF GOD..."

The gift of tongues has a separate purpose. And it is given for that reason to specific ones who are Spirit-filled. A message from God or Jesus is conveyed by the Holy Spirit to a body of believers in an unknown tongue through some saint with this gift.

Then a person with the gift of interpretation is given the meaning of the message in the language of the hearers and tells the people what the Spirit is conveying to them. (I Cor. 14:12-13,5,26)

This method of God speaking to believers is meant to be a sign to unbelievers that are present.

Can speaking in tongues be counterfeited?
All the gifts of the Spirit can be counterfeited.
There are certainly strange utterances and sounds that are made by those who worship other gods. They are counterfeits of the true gift of the spirit. Anything that God does, the devil will try to counterfeit. God has promised that he will not allow a counterfeit to take a Christian. (Lk. 11:11-13)

Even though there are counterfeits out there, we are told to desire this gift.
We are also commanded to not forbid the speaking in tongues.
Many churches are guilty of breaking this command.

I Cor. 14:39
"COVET TO PROPHESY, FORBID NOT TO SPEAK WITH TONGUES."

The test for the use of the gift of tongues is EDIFICATION.

Is the gift used at a time that edifies the service? Does the message edify the meeting of believers? Is it done decently and in order?

I Cor. 14:26,40
"LET ALL THINGS BE DONE TO EDIFYING...LET ALL THINGS BE DONE DECENTLY AND IN ORDER."

+++++

INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES

THE GIFT OF INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES is a supernaturally given interpretation (not translation) of the message from God that was given in the unknown language.

This gift gives sense and meaning to the message given in tongues. Therefore it is closely related to, and dependent upon -the gift of tongues. This gift does not necessarily use the mind of the speaker.

The one with the gift may be given a few words that begin the interpretation, or may be given a mental picture that God is about to describe to the hearers, but most often, begins to speak without knowing what is about to come through their lips.

The one with the gift listens to the message as the other hearers listen.

There are some regulations for this gift that need explaining.

1. Do not despise one's message for being less eloquent than another's message. The Spirit uses the vocabulary of the person speaking. The person may put the interpretation in the "King James' English" with all the "thee's and thou's", or it may come in the coarse language of the common person, or anywhere in between the two extremes. The message is still from the Lord. Judge the message, not the vocabulary, accent, intonation, etc.

2.Those who speak the message in tongues are to pray for the gift of interpretation also.

I Cor. 14:13
"WHEREFORE, LET HIM THAT SPEAKETH IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE PRAY THAT HE MAY INTERPRET."

3. There is to be no more than one interpretation for each message in tongues.

I Cor. 14:27
"IF ANY MAN SPEAK IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE... LET ONE INTERPRET."

4. Don't expect monopolies. There should not be only one person who can interpret a message within the church. This gift should be had by a great many people within the local church. If the only interpreter were absent, could God not speak in this manner? If, there is no interpreter present, and the one about to give a message in tongues is sure they cannot interpret, then the utterance in the unknown tongues must be for personal edification, and not for the church. The person speaking in the unknown language should not interrupt the service by speaking aloud.

I Cor. 14:28
"...IF THERE BE NO INTERPRETER, LET HIM KEEP SILENCE IN THE CHURCH; AND LET HIM SPEAK TO HIMSELF, AND TO GOD."

5. A common regulation given for interpreting tongues is found in I Cor. 14:27:

"LET IT BE BY TWO, OR AT THE MOST THREE..."

This is commonly thought to mean that two or three messages and interpretations are allowed during any one service.

Perhaps this is the correct understanding. Yet there is only one verse to back up this idea, and the understanding of its meaning has been questioned.

Having been raised in a fellowship that taught this idea, I find it nigh impossible to interpret a fourth message. I feel checked within my spirit, perhaps because of my upbringing.

I have heard a fourth interpreted, and felt nothing was wrong with the message and interpretation.

If there were not to be four, then how do we know the fourth was the one "out of order" and not that the first, second, or third were "out of order?"

Then, also, what if a message in tongues and interpretation is given in a Sunday School class, does that limit the worship service to only two more?

Do we start over with the worship service being a new beginning? Perhaps from the context, it may be argued that the meaning is that only two or three people should be giving the messages within a service.

The true understanding of this verse is not totally grasped by me, and therefore, in honesty, I cannot teach that one must interpret it one way or the other. Pray about it and be thoroughly convinced in your own concept, if you can. Don't judge others too harshly, if they hold to another understanding until you can absolutely prove your concept with the Word of God.

According to Rabbinic teachings in those days, when the Hebrew Scriptures were being read in the synagogues where people did not understand Hebrew very well, the targum (or paraphrase) of the Scripture could be also read.

The rule that was to be observed in such cases was taught that the Hebrew was to be read two or three times, and then one could interpret in the paraphrase. This was done to keep the emphasis on the original Hebrew text, lest any should misunderstand the paraphrase.

Paul, having been schooled as a Pharisee, had undoubtedly heard this rule very often in his pre-Christian training. Perhaps this is what he had in mind for the Corinthian church to help correct their misuse of tongues and interpretation.

Perhaps he meant for two or three people to give the message in the various languages chosen by the Spirit, and then another could interpret the message of all three.

This would allow more people to be involved in the process.

The Corinthians had a zeal to all be used, and they all wanted to bring a message or interpret. To use as many as possible, and to encourage the congregation to realize the divine origin of the message, the use of three or four in the supernatural revelation from God would help. Some think this is the teaching of that passage. This would be a local instruction, that does not need to be followed by every church, and in every situation. Paul was handling a local misuse problem. That may be why there are no further Scriptures on the subject.

Any important doctrine that is for all churches to observe always has at least two or three passages to confirm the teaching.

Therefore, I am leaning more and more to this latter interpretation of I Corinthians 14:27.

The Azusa St revival was a service that lasted three years, were they limited to two or three during that whole three year service... ??? I think we need to re-evaluate the meaning of this passage, we do not have the correct evaluation, I believe, and have thereby hindered the move of the Holy Spirit.

6. The interpretation of tongues takes more faith than the giving of the message in the unknown tongues.

The devil will try to tell you that you are making it up.

Pray for more faith whenever you pray for this gift.

Your ultimate goal should be to be given the gift of prophetic utterance. This gift is the ultimate of the speaking, vocal gifts. It requires the most faith, and is not dependent on another gift, as the gift of tongues and the gift of interpretation of tongues are.

I Cor. 14:1
"FOLLOW AFTER LOVE, AND DESIRE SPIRITUAL GIFTS, BUT RATHER THAT YE MAY PROPHESY."

I Cor. 14:39
"WHEREFORE, BRETHREN, COVET TO PROPHESY, AND FORBID NOT TO SPEAK WITH TONGUES."

7. These vocal gifts are to be commonly expected within a service. If they are not common, they are to be "STIRRED UP."(II Tim. 1:6) Yet they are to be controlled and "JUDGED."

I Cor. 14:29-40
"LET THE PROPHETS SPEAK TWO OR THREE, AND LET THE OTHER JUDGE... THE SPIRITS OF THE PROPHETS ARE SUBJECT TO THE PROPHETS... GOD IS NOT THE AUTHOR OF CONFUSION... LET ALL THINGS BE DONE DECENTLY AND IN ORDER..."

The basis of judgment of the tongues, interpretation, or prophetic utterance is the Word of God.
(Deut. 18:10-12, 20-23, Isa. 8:19-20, Rev. 22:18-19, Ezek. 13:2-3, Jer. 23:25-29, 32, I Cor. 13:1-3, Deut. 13:1-9)

The possessor is responsible for its use or misuse.

Much prayer and Bible study is necessary.

The making sure of our love for the Lord and the brethren is absolutely necessary.

Don't take these gifts lightly. They are not "inferior" gifts in any way. That they be used properly and scripturally is vital to the proper functioning of the church.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
THE POWER GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT

I Corinthians 12:9-10
"TO ANOTHER FAITH BY THE SAME SPIRIT; TO ANOTHER THE GIFTS OF HEALING BY THE SAME SPIRIT; TO ANOTHER THE WORKING OF MIRACLES..."

I Corinthians 14:1, 12
"...DESIRE SPIRITUAL GIFTS...YE ARE ZEALOUS OF SPIRITUAL GIFTS..."

Gifts are given to be used, not neglected, not buried, and certainly not forgotten. We cannot afford to be ignorant of these gifts. They are vital to the functioning of the church. If we are to be the kind of church that Jesus wants, we must have these gifts in operation. Yet, we find that in many churches, they have considered these gifts to be so unreachable that they have become apathetic to the very thought of them ever being in their church.

The church is told to seek the best gifts. The best gifts are the ones that are needed at that very moment. When a miracle is needed, the gifts of tongues is not the best gift.

When you need an answer of direction in God's will, the gift of the word of wisdom is needed. It would at that time be the "best gift." The dividing of the gifts in the church is done by the Spirit so that we can all find dependence upon one another. As we find our gifts that the Spirit will use through us, we find where we fit into God's church.

THE GIFT OF FAITH

THE GIFT OF FAITH is a special impartation of faith to believe in what God wants done.

Hebrews 11:1
"now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."

Faith is the mark of all Christians. We cannot please God if we do not have faith. (Hebrews 11:6) Yet, the gift of faith is a supernatural impartation of this faith for special, unique situations. There must first be a trial. For without a trial, there is no faith needed. Therefore if Christians were not to go through any troubles, etc. then no faith would be needed.

We need faith for the time when we are going through troubles. Until a miracle, healing, or deliverance from the trial arrives, we need a special impartation of faith.

God has told us that He will deliver us from all our troubles. He has promised to make all things to work together for our good. Yet, sometimes the trial seems to be so long, and the miraculous answer seems to take so long to come. During this waiting time, we need a special impartation of faith. It is the greatest of the gifts of power.

It is different from saving faith, for saving faith comes before salvation, and this gift of faith can only come after salvation.

It is different from natural faith. Natural faith is like positive thinking. Some nod their heads to belief in a report. This kind of faith is found in the world. The devil and his angels believe and tremble, yet they insult God and work evil. The gift of faith is to believe God's Word in such a way that honors God and helps one endure the trial until a miracle comes.

The gift of miracles, and the gifts of healings are active, the gift of faith is a passive power. If Daniel had slain the lions with a word, that would have been a miracle, yet he endured the night by a gift of faith. His passive power was an impartation of faith. If the disciples in the storm-tossed boat had received the gift of faith they could have endured a stormy crossing of the lake. Yet, their lack of faith required a miracle to be done by the Lord. The gift of faith does not provide deliverance from the trial, as does miracles or healing, but it provides the courage and endurance for the trial. The faith imparts a burst of belief, and enables one to continue, until the miracle comes.

The gift of faith is equally miraculous to miracles and healings, but its duration is longer. God wants to meet every need in the body of believers. In every trial, sickness, problem, He wants to give a miracle, healing, or the faith to endure until the answer comes. Sometimes, God considers faith to be the gift that is best. As in the case of Mary and Martha, Jesus sought to have them exercise the gift of faith for the four days of Lazarus' sickness and death, and then have the miracle. Too often the impatience of Christians demands the miracle now and doesn't want a gift of faith.

The prayer lines in churches often have the same people in them, service after service. The Lord obviously isn't giving the miracle or healing yet. He is trying to operate the gift of faith in their lives, for now. This gift can be a great witness too. The world can see us endure our "lion's den", and our bed of affliction, and still be rejoicing in Jesus. When the world sees this type of faith, they marvel.

The lack of this faith is evident when Christians go about demanding that the walls of their Jericho's fall on the first day, not the seventh. Many want to strike the lion's dead, not spend the night with them to exercise the gift of faith.

In Hebrews chapter 11, the great list of heros of faith are praised for enduring their trials, and awaiting the fulfillment of the promises God gave them, by the exercising the greatest of the power gifts--the gift of faith. Some of the heros of faith even died while exercising the gift of faith and never in this life saw the miracle or healing.

Hebrews 11:13
"THESE ALL DIED IN FAITH, NOT HAVING RECEIVED THE PROMISE, BUT HAVING SEEN THEM AFAR OFF, AND WERE PERSUADED OF THEM, AND EMBRACED THEM..."

This exercising of faith is not the popular Christianity. Most would rather see the miracle. The desire for the miracle is not wrong. The willingness to patiently endure the trial, and await the miracle is what God wants to see in His saints. The persuasion of the validity of God's promises even though we have not yet seen the fulfillment of the promises is greatly rewarded by God. To the great heros of faith, it is recorded in Hebrews 11:16 that -
"WHEREFORE GOD IS NOT ASHAMED TO BE CALLED THEIR GOD..."

God is probably ashamed to be called the God of those who complain, moan, and gripe about their trials, storms, lion's dens, that they are supposed to patiently endure. God will demand that we exercise the gift of faith, even if we try to make it clear that only the healing or miracle will satisfy us. God is greatly displeased when Christians refuse to pray for this gift of faith.

Hebrews 11:38
"NOW THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH; BUT IF ANY MAN DRAW BACK, MY SOUL SHALL HAVE NO PLEASURE IN HIM."

We need the word of wisdom, and the word of knowledge to know which gift God wants to exercise upon us when we are in trials. If in healing lines, the word of knowledge is to be exercised so that the minister can know how to pray for those in trials. The ones who are to receive the gift of faith do not need to go home feeling that since they did not receive the gift of miracles, or the gift of healings, God must not want to give them anything. The greatest gift God can give at that time is the gift of faith. That, when properly received, will bring greater glory to God that the miracle or healing. It is still a sign and wonder. The world marvels at the faith of a Christian enduring the trial with the gift of faith.

There are uses of the gift of faith that need to be explained. Though the gift of faith is the greatest of the power gifts, it is the least understood, and the least desired. We are told to seek the best gifts, and this is the best gift of the power gifts.

It is to be used:

1. for personal protection in perilous trials. (As Daniel during the night in the lion's den, and the long walk of the three Hebrew children to the fiery furnace, we are to seek to have an impartation of faith during our trials. Can you imagine the friends of Daniel saying, "If you had real faith you'd be able to speak a word and the lions would fall dead."? Too often the church of today has become like Job's comforters, and find fault with those who have to endure and have the gift of faith instead of a miracle or healing.)

2. for supernatural sustenance in famine or fasting.(In the life of Elijah, he did not have a miracle of great supply of food, but had to exercise a constant faith as God supplied his sustenance was given on a daily basis. Too many of today's "faith" people would berate such a man as Elijah for not being rich, and having to live one day at a time waiting for God to supply.)

3. for receiving the astonishing promises of God. (Abraham had to believe the promise of God that he would have a son, and seed as the sands of the sea, even though the promise seemed to never even have a beginning of fulfillment. In this day of "prosperity" religion, many would have criticized Abraham for believing a promise that never was fulfilled even at his time of death. But Elijah believed in faith, and though he was blessed with some material blessings, his search was for a "CITY WHOSE BUILDING AND MAKER IS GOD.")

4. for courage when the trial is long. (On the mountain top, Moses stood with his arms uplifted. As long as his arms were lifted up, Israel would be winning the battle. As he lowered his arms the battle would turn, and the enemy would begin to win. His long standing, and holding up of his arms was an exercise of the gift of faith. Exodus 17:11 Some would have told Moses, "Why not speak a word and have a miracle! Have the earth swallow them up! Today, many are not desirous of exercising the gift of faith, they want the miracle only. This is often not God's way.)

++++++++++

THE GIFTS OF HEALINGS

THE GIFTS OF HEALINGS is the special abilities to heal diseases. The plural form of the words "gifts" and "healings" indicate the varieties of ways in which God heals. These gifts are the impartation from God to heal, cure, repair, and make whole the physical body, and deliver it from demons or disease.

Three times in I Corinthians 12 (vss. 9, 28, 30), the gift is mentioned and each time it is "gifts of healings". Each of the other gifts is mentioned in the singular. This is because God has many methods of working healings. These include:

1. The pressing through of the individual for healing, as the woman who touched the hem of Jesus' garment...

2. The calling for others to pray the prayer of faith, as we are instructed to call for the "elders" to pray...

3. The rebuking of the devil or demons who are obsessing the individual...

4. The commanding of the sick to do certain deeds to obtain the healing, as Naaman had to dip seven times in the Jordan, and the lame man had to "take up" his bed...

5. The giving of a point of faith, as the shadow of Peter, or the prayer cloth, or the anointing oil...

6. The repetitive prayer, as Elijah's seven-time prayer for rain...

Another reason for the plural of these words may be that God provides some with the gift to heal certain diseases, and to another provides the power to heal other diseases. This teaches a congregation to depend upon each other, for all are needed to exercise their gift as needed.

There are many reasons God will choose to exercise the use of the gifts of healings. These include:

1. To deliver the sick and destroy the works of the devil in the human body.

Acts 10:38
"...WENT ABOUT DOING GOOD, AND HEALING ALL WHO WERE OPPRESSED OF THE DEVIL..."

2. To authorize the gospel that has been preached.

Acts 8:6-7
"AND THE PEOPLE WITH ONE ACCORD GAVE HEED UNTO THOSE THINGS WHICH PHILIP SPAKE, HEARING AND SEEING THE MIRACLES WHICH HE DID. FOR UNCLEAN SPIRITS, CRYING WITH A LOUD VOICE, CAME OUT OF MANY THAT WERE POSSESSED OF THEM; AND MANY TAKEN WITH PALSIES, AND THAT WERE LAME, WERE HEALED."

3. To draw people to Christ.

John 6:2
"AND A GREAT MULTITUDE FOLLOWED HIM, BECAUSE THEY SAW HIS MIRACLES WHICH HE DID ON THEM THAT WERE DISEASED."

4. To inspire faith and courage in God's people.

Luke 13:17
"ALL THE PEOPLE REJOICED FOR ALL THE GLORIOUS THINGS THAT WERE DONE BY HIM..."

++++++++++++
see part 2

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
part 2 of THE POWER GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT

THE GIFT OF MIRACLES

THE GIFT OF MIRACLES has to do - with more than recovery from illness - and could include restoration of limbs, raising the dead, etc. Moses exhibited it in Egypt and in the wilderness. Elijah exercised the gift of miracles on Mt. Carmel, and at the widow's home. Jesus exercised the gift of miracles when He fed the 5000.

The gift of miracles is one of the gifts that those who have the ministry gift of apostleship are to have.

II Corinthians 12:12
"TRULY THE SIGNS OF AN APOSTLE WERE WROUGHT AMONG YOU IN ALL PATIENCE, IN SIGNS, AND WONDERS, AND MIGHT DEEDS."

The power to intervene in the course of nature, when the work of the Lord may be furthered thereby, is the gift of miracles. There is much confusion to the meaning of "miracle." A miracle is a supernatural act in the physical realm. A miracle is the temporary suspension of accustomed order. A miracle is a sovereign act of the Spirit, irrespective of laws or systems.

The Bible records many miracles. These include:

1. Elisha made an axe head to swim. (II Ki. 6:1-7)

2. Aaron cast a rod before Pharaoh, and it became a serpent.
(Ex. 7:10)

3. Jesus raised the dead to life. (John 11:1-47)

4. Peter raised Dorcas to life. (Acts 9:40)

5. Paul restored Eutychus to life. (Acts 20:10)

Miracles are used of the Lord to:

1. Miraculously deliver God's people (as Moses leading the nation across the Red Sea on dry ground.)

2. Provide for those in need (as the widow's handful of meal, and the feeding of the thousands by Jesus with 5 loaves and 2 fishes.)

3. To carry out divine judgments (as the plagues on Egypt.)

4. To confirm the Word preached (Acts 13:11-12).

5. To deliver from danger (as the calming of the storm.)

6. To raise the dead (as Lazarus was raised by the Lord.)

7. To display God's power and magnificence (as the miracles of Jesus drew the attention of John the Baptist's disciples.)

Divine miracles are not pointless spectacles to grasp peoples's attention. The main emphasis is to show the grace and love of the Lord on a world of need.

Miracles can occur today. Miracles were not explosions of Almightiness for just the apostolic age. Modernists have mocked at the idea of miracles. Yet God is the same today as He has always been. If miracles were needed in Jesus' day, they are even more needed in our day of sin and rebellion to catch the attention of this world. God's plan is for many miracles to occur. The apostles saw many miracles done (Acts 2:43). In these last days, we too should have the gift of miracles in operation.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
THE REVELATION GIFTS
OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

I Corinthians 12:8,10
"FOR TO ONE IS GIVEN BY THE SPIRIT
THE WORD OF WISDOM;
TO ANOTHER THE WORD OF KNOWLEDGE
BY THE SAME SPIRIT...
TO ANOTHER DISCERNING OF SPIRITS..."

The Holy Spirit still wants to operate in the church. He wants to supply us with supernatural gifts - "AS HE WILLS."

Divine energies are implanted in the Christians.

These "gifts" are unmerited bestowments from the Lord.

The gifts that are divine implantations of knowledge, understanding, and discernment from the mind of God, are some of the most neglected of the gifts.

Paul longed to impart to the Romans some spiritual gift.

Romans 1:19
"FOR I LONG TO SEE YOU, THAT I MAY IMPART UNTO YOU SOME SPIRITUAL GIFT, TO THE END THAT YE MAY BE ESTABLISHED."

The revelation gifts are vitally important to the church today, so that it may be established and stable. These gifts are often the "best gifts" since they are so often needed.

What are these gifts ?

1. WORD OF KNOWLEDGE is the supernatural revelation of facts in the Divine Mind. The Word of knowledge gives us a bit of knowledge that is needed either as a sign, or as guidance. This does not come by logic or analysis, it comes by divine bestowment. We must beware lest we mistake intuition for this gift. This gift is God's way to guide and teach in special circumstances.

2. WORD OF WISDOM is the supernatural revelation of the purpose of God. The Word of Wisdom is God's method of helping His church understand His purpose in events that are happening. We need to know why some things happen. The Word of Wisdom tells us what God has in mind. By this revelation, we can know what we can do to fit into God's plan.

3. DISCERNMENT OF SPIRITS is the supernatural insight into the realm of the spirits. Discernment of spirits is God's way to reveal whether the agent at work is the human spirit, a demonic spirit, or God's Spirit.

THE GIFT OF WISDOM

THE GIFT OF WISDOM is the special, supernatural revelation, from God to the believer's mind, of the purpose and reason for the workings of God.

Paul describes this gift in some detail in 1 Corinthians 2:6-12 (KJV):
6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Since the Spirit knows all the things in the mind of God, and He dwells in us, we can freely be given fragments of that wisdom to use. We are not tapping into a great computer, but into the very mind of God who knows - not only all the facts, but also all the wherefore's and reasons behind all the facts.

This gift is the receiving, knowing, and presenting of the wisdom of God, and the purpose of God behind His doings. It is the insight into the divine acts as to how and why God is working. It is the unfolding of the purpose of His dealings. It is the greatest of the revelation gifts.

Wisdom presupposes knowledge. To just know what God is doing, or what the facts or events are, is not enough. We must also know why, and the purpose of God in these facts.

The gift of discernment tells us "WHO" is at work, whether it is God, or not:
the gift of the word of knowledge tells us "WHAT" God is doing:
but the gift of wisdom is ultimately needed then to tell us "WHY" God is doing these things.

In I Kings 21:18, Elijah is told a word of knowledge- i.e. - to meet Ahab in the vineyard. Then, he is given a word of wisdom:

"WHERE HE IS GONE TO POSSESS IT..."

This wisdom told Elijah the purpose of Ahab. Then God instructed Elijah with more knowledge and wisdom as to God's purpose in sending Elijah there.

The revelation gifts are needed to be received as a package.

To have all of them is ideal. There are occasions in the church, where one is given the discernment to know that God is at work in a certain situation. As that discernment is given, another may be given the facts from their gift of knowledge of what is about to transpire. Then God may use a third to reveal the word of wisdom, and tell why God is doing these things.

God can use the different revelation gifts in this way to teach us to depend on each other, as a body of believers.

It also helps us to realize the source of the information is God, not some super-gifted person.

Yet at many times, because we have not allowed God to use us with these gifts as He would like, God must use one person with all three of these gifts at once. So it is wise to seek all three as a package, so you may be available to use all three at once, or if God can find two more with these gifts, to be used in conjunction with them with one of the three gifts.

The gift of wisdom is often confused with deep spiritual insight. It is sometimes confused with administrative wisdom. Others may confuse it with prudence or discretion. Yet, it is none of these. It is a revelation from God's mind to us about His purpose to help us understand why He is working out certain events.

How do we recognize the true word of wisdom? One sure test is "THE FEAR OF THE LORD." Wisdom and knowledge are given to those who have a "FEAR" of God.

Proverbs 1:7
"THE FEAR OF THE LORD IS THE BEGINNING OF KNOWLEDGE."

Proverbs 9:10
"THE FEAR OF THE LORD IS THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM..."

Thus, to have the proper respect, and awe for the greatness of the Person of God, is necessary before the Spirit will begin to reveal the thoughts, purposes and facts from the mind of God to us.

There are many reasons for the word of wisdom.

These include:

1. A word of wisdom is given to warn and guide people concerning future judgment. Noah was told a word of knowledge about the flood, but then was given a word of wisdom concerning what God intended to do in saving his family, and in judging the rest of the world. Abraham was told a word about the judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah. The wise men were warned about the intent of Herod, so they departed and did not return and inform Herod of the Messiah child's whereabouts.

2. A word of wisdom is given to reveal God's plans to those He is going to use. Joseph was told the meaning of Pharaoh's dream. Daniel was told the meaning of Nebuchadnezzar's dreams.

3. A word of wisdom is given to assure a servant of God that he has a divine commission. God spoke to Moses from the burning bush and told him of his calling to lead Israel out of Egypt.

4. A word of wisdom is given to reveal the acceptable order and manner of divine worship. God revealed to Moses, upon Mt. Sinai, the way they were to worship God.

5. A word of wisdom is given to explain to a prejudiced person that God's love is not restricted to a select few. Peter was told of the foods once considered unclean were allowed to be eaten. Then God revealed to Peter that the Gentiles were included in the gospel message.

6. A word of wisdom is given to assure of coming deliverance in the midst of calamity. Paul told the people of the ship that the ship was to be destroyed, yet God would save every life aboard the ship.

7. A word of wisdom is given so God may declare His future plans. Paul was told of God's plan to include the Gentiles into the church.

8. A word of wisdom is given to assure a future blessing. Abraham was told that he would be the father of many nations.

end of part 1

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
THE WORD OF KNOWLEDGE

THE WORD OF KNOWLEDGE is the supernatural revelation of certain facts in the mind of God to a Christian.

Man has nothing to do with it, except to receive that bit of knowledge that God chooses to reveal.

The knowledge will help make a scholar, but being a scholar will never help one to obtain this knowledge.

God does not impart all knowledge, only a fragment that is needed for a temporary need.

This knowledge is not acquired by study, but it is a miraculously conveyed knowledge.

It is a mental impression, or picture, or vision in which the Spirit discloses some hidden fact or circumstance.

This is not a vocal gift, it may be spoken, but it is received in silence.

The gift of prophetic utterance is a similar gift, but the one who speaks the prophecy listens to it as the other hearers.

The word of knowledge is given to the mind first, and the use of that knowledge varies.

It may be held in silence, as Mary pondered in her heart the facts told to her about Jesus by Gabriel.

It may be spoken, as Noah preached about the flood that he was told about.

Why does God give us a word of knowledge?
There are many reasons, these include:

1. It may be given to tell us to pray for someone's need, that we wouldn't know naturally. Sometimes God will tell someone what is in the mind of yourself through someone else having a word of knowledge. This will show you that God is aware of your thoughts.

I Samuel 9:19
"I WILL TELL THEE WHAT IS IN THINE HEART."

2. A word of knowledge may be given to help us recover lost property.

3. It may reveal causes of sickness, or demonic possession. The Lord revealed to Peter that Satan had inspired Ananias and Sapphira to lie to the Holy Spirit. So Peter knew the source of the trouble was satanic suggestion. Sometimes in the lives of people today that are troubled by the demons, there is an underlying reason that needs revealed. For Ananias and Sapphira it was their greed and selfishness that allowed the devil to make them lie.

4. A word of knowledge may reveal facts in the lives of others for spiritual correction or profit. John wrote to the seven churches and revealed their spiritual condition to them. Elijah exposed the hypocrisy of Gehazi by knowing from God what he had done. Through a word of knowledge the hiding place of Saul, amidst the baggage, was revealed. David's sin with Bathsheba was revealed to the prophet Nathan.

5. It may reveal facts for us to use in our witness. Ananias was told of Saul's conversion and blindness. Peter was told in a word of knowledge about the fact that Jesus was the Son of God, and was told to not use it in his witness until later. Jesus knew about the past of the woman at the well, and thereby could witness better.

6. A word of knowledge may tell us facts to enable us to know what to do. The location of the Syrian camp was revealed to Elisha. Peter was told of the soon arrival of the men from Cornelius' household.

7. It may be revealed to enlighten and encourage us. Elijah was told by God that he was not the only one left, there were 7000 more.

8. A word of knowledge may be used to take away the arguments of opponents.

Luke 21:14-15
"SETTLE IT THEREFORE IN YOUR HEARTS, NOT TO MEDITATE BEFORE WHAT YE SHALL ANSWER: FOR I WILL GIVE YOU A MOUTH AND WISDOM, WHICH ALL YOUR ADVERSARIES SHALL NOT BE ABLE TO GAINSAY NOR RESIST."

DISCERNING OF SPIRITS

DISCERNING OF SPIRITS is insight into the spiritual realm to reveal which type of spirit is at work in and through a person. Discernment of spirits outside the spiritual realm is the word of wisdom, and the word of knowledge. This gift is the ability to determine whether someone is speaking or acting under the influence of the Holy Spirit, or under the influence of their own spirit, or under the influence of a demonic spirit.

The word, "discerning", comes from the Greek word - "diakrisis." It means - "judging through." This refers to a seeing through of that which is outward. God sees the heart of man, and man looks on the outward appearance.

The Spirit, through the gift of discernment, helps us see through the outward, and into the inner being.

There are three kinds of spirits.

There is the Divine, the satanic, and the human.

To know which of these is at work in a situation is very difficult. Sometimes, if on our own, we would only be able to guess. The Holy Spirit can enable us to pinpoint the source.

There are many instances whereby we can see this gift in action.

Elisha perceived a lying spirit in Gehazi.

Peter exposed a demonic influence on Ananias and Sapphira.

Peter also exposed the evil condition of Simon.

Paul exposed the woman who praised Silas and himself, as being demonically inspired.

There is a definite need for this gift today. We have been warned often in the Bible that in the last days, there would be many false prophets, many who would sneak into the church to disrupt the work of the Lord, and many who would fall away from the grace of God. Satan will attempt to deceive the very elect, if possible. The doctrines of devils will flourish in the last days.

If we are to stop these false doctrines, and seducing spirits that are so evident in the last days, we need the gift of discernment to alert people to the problem.

The gift of discernment is to be used to:

1. help in delivering those afflicted by demons...

2. discover a servant of the devil...

3. expose plausible error...

4. unmask demonic miracle workers. (II Thess. 2:9)

There are different methods by which people receive the gift of discernment. These include:

1. Sight - The person actually sees the demonic spirits.

2. Hearing - The person hears God speak a word to them concerning the spiritual activity.

3. Spiritual insight - The person has a kind of knowing, an intuition about the situation.

4. Physical sensation - Some have experienced the hair on the back of the head to stand up whenever the demonic influence is near. For others, the ears burn. Many have reported a sick feeling in the stomach whenever a human or demonic spirit is doing an evil work.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

The revelation gifts are best to be sought as a package. When out on the work of the Lord, it is most often necessary to need all three at one time.

We need to "COVET EARNESTLY" (I Cor. 12:31) these gifts, because they are vital to the church.

We would see more healings and miracles if the word of knowledge were more in use to tell us what God wanted done, and how, and if there were a reason for the healing not coming yet.

All of these revelation gifts need to be in operation daily in the church body.

These are not gifts that are only needed several times a year. There are church problems, doctrines, attacks of the devil, etc. that come daily to a congregation.

The operation of these gifts in one's life should not be used as an excuse for not studying the Word of God. Bible study is commanded, and to neglect that command, yet still expect the Lord to give a word of knowledge is presumption.

These words of wisdom, and words of knowledge, and the discernment of spirits, come to those who "FEAR" and reverence the Lord. If we reverence Him, we will reverence His Word. If one does not study the Word of God, he cannot adequately test the revelations given to see if they are scriptural and valid.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
THE MINISTRY GIFTS

Ephesians 4:11-12
"AND HE GAVE SOME, APOSTLES; AND SOME, PROPHETS; AND SOME, EVANGELISTS; AND SOME, PASTORS AND TEACHERS; FOR THE PERFECTING OF THE SAINTS, FOR THE WORK OF THE MINISTRY, FOR THE EDIFYING OF THE BODY OF CHRIST."

Christians all have an office to fill. There are three offices available. These are:
ELDERS
DEACONS
PRIESTS

All believers are priests. Even as priests we have a ministry.

We may not all be elders (pastors) in charge of a church. We may not all be elected to the position of deacons (board members). But we are all priests, and all priests have ministries.

The gifts of the Spirit are given to aid the church, and to aid our own ministries for Christ.

"BUT TO EACH ONE IS GIVEN THE MANIFESTATION OF THE SPIRIT FOR THE COMMON GOOD."

God places these gifts in the church as He desires. This way, we all need each other.

I Cor. 12:18
"BUT NOW GOD HAS PLACED THE MEMBERS, EACH ONE OF THEM IN THE BODY, JUST AS HE DESIRES."

If the ministry gifts are given for the equipping of the saints for service and perfecting of the saints, then the church would be gravely hurt without them. Spiritual growth is vital to the church body. Some saints do not grow in the Lord. But these gifts are not optional, and we cannot let the clergy try to do all the ministering. There is in this list, a ministry gift that is meant for each saint.

GIFT OF PASTOR-TEACHER

This is one gift, not two. The description of it takes two words to explain. The word, "pastor", means "to shepherd." The elders were all to be shepherds of the "flock." (Acts 20:28-31, I Peter 5:1-5) This word -"pastor" - shows that the elder is to have the God-given ability to feed, lead, and give heed to the church.

The second word, "teacher", means that the person is to be divinely equipped to prepare and serve a balanced, nutritious, and spiritual diet.

Every believer is a priest, but some are called to have the "pastor-teacher gift." They are to aid in the leading and feeding the flock.

Elders were to "shepherd the flock" (Acts 20:28, I Pet. 5:1-4). They were not to "lord" over the flock, but to be "examples" to them. This was a position of leading by example and love. Too many, in that day and this day also, try to make the leaders of the church a superior class of Christian. They want almost a priesthood, to "lord" over the laity. This was the doctrine of the "Nicolaitanes" referred to in Revelation chapters 2 and 3. The Lord said He hated this doctrine. We are all "priests" to God. The elders were in leadership of the facilities, outreach, and serving of the priesthood. They were not the "bosses" of the flock. Only the Jesus is our "Lord."

Elders were to be "able to teach" (I Tim. 3:2). The early church had a plurality of elders in the local churches (Acts 14:23, 20:17, I Peter 5:1-4). One of them may be elected to head the church, but many "pastor-teachers" are needed in the church. Some teach, some will edify or exhort others in other positions in the church.

Paul said that he was a "pastor-teacher." He described this gift in I Thessalonians 2:7-12:
"GENTLE...AS A NURSING MOTHER...FOND AFFECTION IN LABOR AND HARDSHIP...WORKING NIGHT AND DAY...DEVOUT, UPRIGHTLY, BLAMELESSLY WE BEHAVED...EXHORTING, ENCOURAGING, IMPLORING...AS A FATHER...SO YOU MAY WALK IN A MANNER WORTHY OF GOD..."

++++++++++

GIFT OF EVANGELISM

A person with this gift has the capacity to present the gospel message with exceptional clarity. The Spirit leads him to the right place, at the right time to reap a harvest of souls. Just as Philip was led to the Ethiopian eunuch, a person with this gift often finds that he is near a person ready to accept the Lord.

FOUR CHARACTERISTICS
1. Consuming passion for souls
2. Clear understanding of the gospel message
3. Ability to present the message clearly

4. Great joy in seeing people come to the Lord

Every believer is to witness, and spread the gospel message. Yet, there are some whom the Spirit will give this as a special ministry gift. A few have a gift for mass evangelism, as Billy Graham. Yet, many have a gift for face to face evangelism. Philip was an evangelist (Acts 21:8), and he did both public (Samaria), and personal (Ethiopian eunuch) evangelism.
Timothy was told to do the work of an evangelist.

II Timothy 4:5
"BUT WATCH THOU IN ALL THINGS, ENDURE AFFLICTIONS, DO THE WORK OF AN EVANGELIST, MAKE FULL PROOF OF THY MINISTRY."

Obviously, this was not his primary gift. Yet, he still was told to do the work of one. So all may evangelize, but the evangelists have a special anointing to clearly, and powerfully present the gospel message.

++++++++++++

GIFT OF APOSTLESHIP

A person with this gift is given a capacity to speak with great authority in matters of faith and practice. The word "apostle" means "sent one." It is one sent out to do a ministry among churches or areas. They are great church starters, revival starters. They are sent to specific situations at specific times to do a special ministry for the Lord. In the local church, one with this gift will be the one who calls at the right time, visits at the right time, to be of special help in a crisis.

The early apostles had been with the Lord. (Acts 1:21-22)

They had seen the risen Christ (Acts 1:2-3, I Cor. 15:8).

Paul was an apostle.

The apostles had one thing in common - they had received their gospel directly from the Lord.

Today, there are some who by direct revelation, and the Word of God, speak forth with great clarity and authority the Word of God.

Paul was a frequent recipient of direct revelation. He received direct revelation, and spoke with authority on such things as:
resurrection (I Cor. 15:51-52)
church (Eph. 3)
gospel (I Cor. 15:3
Lord's supper (I Cor. 11)
the indwelling Christ (Col. 1:27)

Galatians 1:12
"FOR I NEITHER RECEIVED IT OF MAN, NEITHER WAS I TAUGHT IT, BUT BY THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST..."

The apostles are church planters. Today, we call 'apostles', i.e. sent ones, to be 'missionaries. They plant churches in spiritually dark places, and receive revelation direct from Jesus on how to present the gospel to these who have not had the Christian upbringing most of us have had.

Barnabas was an apostle (Acts 14:14). Titus was called a "messenger" (literally, "apostle") [ II Cor. 8:23].

+++++++++++

THE GIFT OF EXHORTATION

This word "exhortation" literally means "a calling to one's side, and to their aid." The person with this gift urges one to pursue some course of conduct. The teacher helps one to see and to understand, but the exhorter helps one to do.

Barnabas was a "son of encouragement." (Acts 4:36) He came to Paul's aid when others shunned him (Acts 9:27). He came to John Mark's side when Paul rejected him (Acts 15:39). Apparently, Barnabas succeeded in helping John Mark (I Tim. 4:11).

This type of ministry is vital to a church. They give counsel, guidance. They minister to aching hearts, to the hurting, and to the "weary and heavy laden."

Some people fear to have others who counsel in the church.

Yet the Spirit gives the gift of exhortation as He wishes. True counseling requires so much time, counsel, and intercession, that one person cannot handle the needs of a congregation.

The church need not fear when people that are gifted with this ministry respond to the Spirit and do this work. Actually, there is seldom a problem with too many exhorters.

There is often a problem with too many gossips, too many condemners, and too many faultfinders. Let's pray for more exhorters.

The gift of exhortation may be used in sermon preparation, in lesson teaching, or in "one on one" encouragement.

+++++++++++

THE GIFT OF TEACHING

The teacher is one who is supernaturally endowed with the ability to explain God's Word in a comprehensible manner. It is mentioned in several lists (Romans 12:7, I Cor. 12:28-29, Eph. 4:11).

Paul had the gift of teaching. He spent a year and six months in Corinth. There he was:
Acts 18:11
"TEACHING THE WORD OF GOD AMONG THEM."

Aquila and Priscilla were gifted teachers (Acts 18:26).

Those who are teachers will love to teach. They will do it with enthusiasm. They will love to study the Word of God. The gift is supernaturally endowed, yet they will not depend simply on the Spirit for the words. They will take the insight and truth the Spirit gives them, add it to the special insight into the pupils that the Spirit gives, and add much preparation in the Word, and present the truth in a way that startles the understanding of the hearers.

Every church should have many with this gift. If it has only a few with this gift, and the other teachers are trying to do it with only natural talent, hard work, or training, -then the gifted ones should lay hands on the others so they may also receive this gift.

+++++++++++

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The purpose of these gifts is given by the Lord, through Paul, in Ephesians 4:12-13. In these verses some nautical terms are used that we miss in the English translation. The word, "PERFECTING" (katartizo), is a nautical term referring to the mending of a fishing net. The word, "EDIFYING" (oikodome), refers to the building of a ship. With this in mind, let us look again at these verses, and see what the Lord says about the purpose of the ministry gifts.

Ephesians 4:12-13
"FOR THE PERFECTING (katartizo, mending of the fishing nets, likening the ministry of the church to a net that catches fish, yet may have holes in the net that let the fish fall out before being brought into the ship) OF THE SAINTS, FOR THE WORK (ergon, employment) OF THE MINISTRY (diakone, the act of serving as a servant), FOR THE EDIFYING (oikodome, building of a ship, likening the church to a ship on the way to port, and catching fish in the nets while on the journey) OF THE BODY OF CHRIST, TILL WE ALL COME (katantosomen, arrive, reach the port) INTO THE UNITY OF THE FAITH, AND THE KNOWLEDGE (epiginosko, to fully know, recognize, and discern) OF THE SON OF GOD UNTO A PERFECT (teleios, mature) MAN, UNTO THE MEASURE (metron, to measure as with a ruler) OF THE STATURE (helikia, mature stage) OF THE FULLNESS (pleroma, completely full of) OF CHRIST."

These verses show that the ministry gifts of apostle, evangelist, pastor-teacher are mainly for the getting of the church set on the right course (as a ship must sail on the right course to reach the correct port).

The keeping of the nets mended will aid the ship in arriving at the port with a full catch of fish.
If the ministry gifts are used properly, the ship will reach port safely, but if the gifts are not in operation correctly, the nets will lose many fish through the holes, and the ship may stray from the correct destination.

Too often in church history, the church has lost many from its nets. People leave the church for many reasons. They may say it is because there are hypocrites in the church, or because they have been hurt by someone in the church, etc.; yet, the truth is usually that the ministry gifts that are to be in the church have not been functioning properly. The nets need frequently mended.

Too often the devil has more of his "gifts" operating in the church, than the Lord can get of His gifts. There are many gifts the devil wants to keep operating in the church. These gifts will put holes in the nets.

The devil's gifts include:
gift of faultfinding
gift of hypocrisy
gift of discouraging
gift of unfaithfulness
gift of pessimism
gift of unbelief and doubt
gift of dissatisfaction
gift of slamming with the tongue
gift of interpretation of slams
gift of misdirecting of others
etc.

These gifts are countered, and handled when the Lord has the ministry gifts of apostle, pastor-teacher, evangelist, exhorter, and teacher, are operating as a team. (We must remember that the leader of the team is the Holy Spirit.)

+++++++++++++++

THE GIFTS OF HELPS

THE GIFTS THAT AID THE MINISTRY OF OTHERS

These gifts are for the profit of the church, and are intended to help the ministry of others.

I Corinthians 12:7
"THE MANIFESTATION OF THE SPIRIT IS GIVEN TO EVERY MAN TO PROFIT WITHAL."

For the good of all, for the aiding of the ministry gift of another, and for the edification of the church, there are some gifts given to the saints. These gifts of helps are vital to the church. Don't be misled by the name. They are important. Without these gifts, the church would be stagnated and cold.

++++++++++++

THE GIFT OF ADMINISTERING

Romans 12:8
"HE THAT RULETH, WITH DILIGENCE..."

The word "RULETH" in the Greek means, "he who leads, presides, stands before." In I Thessalonians 5:12, the elders are described as those who "HAVE CHARGE OVER YOU IN THE LORD." The elders of the church are given a duty to administer the service of the church. They are to see that the spiritual table is set for the feeding, leading, and caring of the church and its assets.

The idea is that this is a helps ministry for the caring of the body of Christ. The other ministries are to be evangelizing, exhorting, teaching, shepherding, etc. , while this gift of ruling, and administering is making sure the facilities, services, and methods of ministering are in place.

The same idea is referred to in I Corinthians 12:28 by the word, "GOVERNMENTS" (KJV). The word, "GOVERNMENTS" is a word that referred to a pilot steering a ship. The idea is not a "taskmaster." It does not mean people with this gift are to make rules of "do's and don't's" for morality. It is a vocation of helping other ministries.

Joseph, Daniel, and Nehemiah are examples in the Old Testament. Titus was left in Crete "TO SET IN ORDER WHAT REMAINS." (Titus 1:5) Paul was great in the gift of administration. His letters show a ministry of this gift, even when he was away from the church. He guided them through crisis after crisis. He did it with love. He gave guidelines to help them escape legalism, avoid conflicts, win souls, encourage each other, and grow in the faith. This is the purpose of the gift of administration.

Pastors, board members, leaders of departments, and other helpers desperately need this supernatural help in their job.

One may have the position, and not have this gift in operation.

To depend on natural talent, and training is futile when serving in such capacities and having the devil as your enemy. We need supernatural guidance in the church. The Spirit gives this guidance through operating this gift in people.

++++++++++++

GIFT OF SHOWING MERCY

"HE THAT SHEWETH MERCY, WITH CHEERFULNESS."

Mercy is undeserved aid. Hopefully, all Christians can show mercy. With the love that is to be our trademark, we should be able to show kindness to the unlovely. Yet, the Spirit indicates in the Word, that there is a supernatural gift of "shewing mercy" to be received by some. This gift is needed so one may have the power to do good to those who in the natural would revolt them, or to those who will never be able to repay in kind, or to those that no one is able to understand how you could do good for such an evil person. This is a special ministry.

The good Samaritan helped the man in the road. The man had been beaten and robbed. He was Jewish, and the Jews hated and shunned Samaritans like himself. The Samaritan helped him because of a supernatural gift of shewing mercy.

Barnabas was called the "son of consolation." He helped John Mark even when it meant a split with his good friend, and anointed man of God, -Paul. Sometimes God puts us into the place where we must help the hurting, the troubled, etc. The cost of helping may be the loss of the friendship of someone who has been a close friend. It takes a supernatural gift. The Lord says in the Word that some will have to give up father, mother ,sister, etc. for His sake.

Sometimes the reason we lose relationship is the mercy we show to those the others cannot love because of prejudice, etc. Sometimes the ones we lose by using this gift, will realize their mistake, sometimes they will not. Paul did realize his mistake, and called for John Mark to come to him.

This gift is needed for many special ministries. Those who have the gift of evangelism, may need it to minister to the ones God loves and wants to save. They may be rough, tough, mean, etc. Ananias had to minister to Saul (Paul), who had been persecuting Christians and even helped stone Stephen. Imagine how hard it was for Ananias to deal with a man who had been so evil. Those who deal with the sick, diseased, destitute, imprisoned, etc. will often come to those who are so unlovely a person, that a supernatural gift is needed to allow them to minister as they are told.

+++++++++++
see part 2 of gifts of helps

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
part 2 of gifts of helps

THE GIFT OF GIVING

This gift is the supernatural bestowment of goods upon a person for the purpose of giving in abundance to the Lord, His church, and to others in need. This gift is to be done contently, liberally, sometimes sacrificially, with wisdom and cheerfulness.

Just as God bestows the ability to teach to one with the gift of teaching, and it is that person's responsibility to use that gift for the Lord; in the same way, some are given financial blessings by the Lord, and they are to use this gift for Him.

Some who have received the gift of giving from the Spirit, have buried this talent. Some think their blessings are for hoarding, and building up bank accounts. The rich young ruler asked what he must do, and the Lord said to sell all that he had, give it to the poor, and follow Jesus. Those with this gift of giving are likewise, not to hoard, but to give in abundance.

The Lord then keeps supplying them more, so they can give more.

This giving is to be done without secret reluctance.

II Corinthians 9:7
"EVERY MAN ACCORDING AS HE PURPOSETH IN HIS HEART, SO LET HIM GIVE; NOT GRUDGINGLY, OR OF NECESSITY; FOR GOD LOVES A CHEERFUL GIVER."

This gift is to be done without outward show.
"...HE THAT GIVETH, LET HIM DO IT WITH SIMPLICITY."

There are a number of good examples of this gift in operation within the Word.

Dorcas (Acts 9:36), who was "FULL OF GOOD DEEDS AND ALMSGIVING WHICH SHE DID," is a good example of the early church period.

Joseph of Arimathea provided the tomb for the burial of Jesus.

The widow provided what she thought was her last meal for Elijah. God multiplied her food until the end of the famine.

Have you been blessed financially? We are not to lay up treasures here on earth. The prosperity we receive here is to be used for the Lord. As the priesthood of believers, we have given to the Lord, our all. By giving what we receive, you will lay up wealth in heaven. Those who have been given the gift of healing, seek out the sick to pray for and share the gift with them. Those who have been given an abundance of material goods, are to seek out the needy, and provide for the church, etc.

The church of Laodicea is described as a church that felt rich, but were spiritually poor. This seems to indicate that in the last days many will be given the gift of giving, but hoard it to themselves. This will bring them to spiritual poverty.

The rich young ruler refused to part with his goods in Jesus' day, and in the last days, the Laodicean church will also miss their opportunity to use this gift. Imagine the wealth possible for the rich young ruler, had he parted with his worldly possessions, in trade for the eternal treasures that our Lord offers. He died, and unless he had been saved at a later date, is now in the eternal poverty of hell. He could have been enjoying the true riches of heaven.

++++++++++++++

THE GIFT OF HELPS

The word, "HELPS" of I Corinthians 12:28, is "antilepsis." It means "to support, in place of." It refers to a series of gifts that add support to the other ministries. It is used of serving food in Acts 6:1. It is used of Phoebe in Romans 16:1. It is translated "service" or "ministering" in Romans 12:7. There is a natural help that all Christians are to do. Yet, in some circumstances the Spirit will endow some with a supernatural ability to provide service that will aid in someone else's ministry gift.

II Timothy 1:16-18
"THE LORD GIVE MERCY UNTO THE HOUSE OF ONESIPHORUS; FOR HE OFT REFRESHED ME, AND WAS NOT ASHAMED OF MY CHAIN: BUT WHEN HE WAS IN ROME, HE SOUGHT ME OUT VERY DILIGENTLY, AND FOUND ME. THE LORD GRANT UNTO HIM THAT HE MAY FIND MERCY OF THE LORD IN THAT DAY; AND IN HOW MANY THINGS HE MINISTERED UNTO ME IN EPHESUS, THOU KNOWEST VERY WELL."

I Corinthians 16:15
"...YE KNOW OF STEPHANAS, THAT IT IS THE FIRSTFRUITS OF ACHAIA, AND THAT THEY HAVE ADDICTED THEMSELVES TO THE MINISTRY OF THE SAINTS."

Some, like Onesiphorus and Stephanas, give themselves to the work of helping a man of God. They will aid in many ways. In the local church, some may usher, others do art work, some will be the intercessors, others will aid the ministry of music, some will do visitation. At times this "helps" ministry can become heavy and time consuming. It can become more than natural talent, and devotion can give. It is then that the Holy Spirit will step in and give divine enabling to those with the gift of helps.

In the church of the last days, we need more than dedicated nursery workers to watch the children in the nursery. We need anointed, gifted workers who not only watch the children, but pray over them, pray for their families, and are a spiritual blessing to the child, its parents, the church, and to the minister who is speaking while they help. Too often, the churches end up with reluctant workers in the nursery, Sunday School, children's church, church kitchen, ushering staff, etc.

These reluctant workers try to do their best, but end up with carnal, weak, and often disastrous results. The Spirit wants to endow some with a special gift that will empower these helpers to do a job that will be beyond what any talent and hard work alone could produce. This gift is supernatural, just as all the other gifts involve supernatural power.

++++++++++++

Which of these gifts can the church do without?

This is like asking someone, which limb can they do without?

What part of your body can you spare?

It is best to have all parts of the body.

If one part suffers, so do all parts. We all need each other. Too often, a part of the body of believers thinks they are the only indispensable part. They want all other parts to follow their direction, and or cease working so as to allow them to function only. This is not "decent and in order." It is not the prescribed way of serving. When a church does not allow a gift to be operated as the Spirit desires, that church is destined to stay small, or split.

The gifts need to be in operation as the Spirit wills them to be. We need to function under the leadership of the Spirit. In that way, we will all have a gift to share with the entire body of believers.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
HOW TO FIND YOUR GIFT

James 1:17
"EVERY GOOD GIFT AND EVERY PERFECT GIFT IS FROM ABOVE, AND COMES DOWN FROM THE FATHER."

God's gifts are perfect, even if the receivers are not.

They are not earned, nor retained by good works. They are unmerited gifts. We should all, as Christians, have gifts operating in our lives. The church should have many gifts in operation. In too many churches the gift of "pew-sitting" is the predominant gift. The Spirit does not intend to have such churches.

Romans 8:32
"ALL GOOD THINGS ARE GIVEN US FREELY..."

Freely, the Lord offered to fill us with the Spirit (Luke 11:13). Freely, the Spirit offers us gifts. Yet, many saints do not appropriate these free gifts by faith (Matthew 9:29, Romans 12:6). The value of these gifts is unimaginable. Yet, if one were told they had won a million dollars, would they neglect to collect it? Then why are we supposed to believe that people truly value the gifts, if they don't hunger, seek, desire, covet, and appropriate them as soon as they can???? Since they are truly of the greatest value, let's show the Spirit we value them and desire them as we should.

These gifts are to continue during the church age.

Tongues, prophecy, and knowledge are to cease when that "WHICH IS PERFECT IS COME"(I Cor. 13:8-13).

"THAT WHICH IS PERFECT" is Christ. He has not yet come. When He does, those three gifts will not be necessary, for those three inform us what He has to say to us. When He is come, He Himself can inform us what He wants to say. He will no longer have to say it through those gifts of the Spirit. Now during the church age, we need to know what the Lord wants to tell us, and one method He uses is through these gifts of the Spirit.

The mission of the church is manifold. Yet, for every part of the mission, the gifts of the Spirit are necessary.

The mission of the church is:

1. To glorify God.

The gifts of the Spirit glorify God.
(Rom. 15:6,9, Eph. 1:5-18, 3:21, II Thess. 1:12, I Pet. 4:11)

2. To edify itself.
The exercising of the gifts of the Spirit edify the church.
(Eph. 4:11-16)

3. To purify itself.

Exercising the gifts, helps the church purify itself.
(Eph. 5:26-27)

4. To educate its constituency.

The gifts are given to educate us to the will, and message form the Lord.
(Eph. 4:11-12)

5.To evangelize the world.

Signs are to follow the preaching of the Word. These gifts are the signs.
(Matt. 28:19, Mk. 16:15, Lk. 24:46-48, Acts 1:8)

6. To be a hindrance to Satan.

We, as the church, are to be a hindrance to the devil.

We can best hold back the lawlessness when we have the power of the gifts of the Spirit.
(Matt. 5:13-16, II Thess. 2:6-7)

Then, if these are the mission of the church, why don't we get these gifts so we may accomplish what the Spirit wants us to accomplish? There are some reasons that the church hasn't received these gifts as it should.

These include:

1. Because of ignorance of the gifts of the Spirit...

2. Because of unbelief in the gifts...

3. Because they are ashamed or afraid of them...

4. Because they do not seek them...

5. Because they have grieved the Spirit...
I Corinthians 12:31
"COVET EARNESTLY THE BEST GIFTS."

I Corinthians 14:1
"DESIRE SPIRITUAL GIFTS."

I Corinthians 14:12
"FORASMUCH AS YE ARE ZEALOUS OF SPIRITUAL GIFTS, SEEK THAT YE MAY EXCEL TO THE EDIFYING OF THE CHURCH."

I Timothy 4:14
"NEGLECT NOT THE GIFT THAT IS IN THEE."

If you have been baptized in the Spirit, you have at least one gift. That gift is meant to be used, not buried or ignored. Whenever there is a need for that particular gift, the Spirit is going to try to use you. Whenever, you need personal edification, and you ask for help, the Spirit is trying to use the gift to edify you. Whenever the church body needs edified, the Spirit is going to expect you to use that gift to edify them. Don't neglect to know, use, and appreciate your gifts.

Are the gifts permanent, or temporary?

They are always permanent.

Romans 11:29
"FOR THE GIFTS AND THE CALLING OF GOD ARE WITHOUT REPENTANCE."

These permanent gifts can be neglected, and at times, the gifts need to be stirred up.
(I Tim. 4:14, 1:6)

There are two wrong ideas about gifts. One is that everyone baptized with the Spirit has all the gifts and can exercise them at will. The truth is that the Spirit gives and manifests the gifts at His discretion.
( I Cor. 12:11)

The second wrong conception is that God permanently gives only one or several gifts to individuals. This makes people think they can have no more gifts that the ones they have already found in their lives. This leads to stagnation, and limits what the Spirit may wish to develop in them. God wishes to develop many gifts in us.

Gifts may be abused or misused.

Solomon, while backslidden, used the gift of wisdom and knowledge that God gave him to further his own rebellion. (Eccles. 1:12-18, 2:4-11).

Moses misused his gift of miracles by striking the rock twice, and not once. (Num. 20:7-13, Deut. 3:48-52)

Paul taught one could have gifts, and if they did not have love with the gifts, the gifts would profit nothing.

Paul also corrected many abuses of the gifts in the local churches of his day. (I Cor. 13:1-3, 14:1-40) Likewise today, there are many abuses of the gifts of the Spirit.

When you discover your gifts, they will serve as a signpost in your life. They will show you the main direction that God wants to use you. The Spirit chose to give you those gifts to equip you for your God-given ministry. Your gifts will enable you to be in harmony with God's will for you.

When you know your gifts, you will be able to set priorities in your life. If your gift is evangelism, you may tend to avoid administrative positions, so you may be available to evangelize. Too often in the churches, people with one gift are given a job that requires a different gift.

Knowing your gifts also helps the "team effort" of the church. We need not be jealous of those with the "pastor-teacher" gift when we know our gift, and realize the importance of it to the body of believers. We don't need to be discouraged when God uses another with a different gift, for we know that when our gift is needed, we can be useful then. The church can be the "team" the Lord envisioned. The Spirit is the head of the "team", and we are the members of it, functioning together.

How do we discover our gift?

1. Start with prayer.

Ask God to direct you to the proper gifts.
(Philippians 4:6-7)

2. Study the various gifts.

Know what they are, and define each gift and its importance.

3. Which gift do you desire the most? It is all right to aspire to a particular gift. All desire for spiritual gifts comes from God. So the gift you desire the most, is probably the one God wants you most to have.

4. Confirmation will come by the exercise of the gift in your life. Look for the workings of God. Ask someone with the gift that you desire to lay hands on you and pray for you to receive the gift for which you've prayed.

5. Blessings will follow the exercise to your gifts.

"BUT THE MANIFESTATION OF THE SPIRIT IS GIVEN TO EVERY MAN TO PROFIT WITHAL."

The purpose of the gifts is to edify, bless, and build up. If your gifts do not do these things, something is out of order. The greatest use of gifts is to evangelize. God doesn't give gifts just to satiate an adolescent church that just wants to see more and more miracles. But He will give more and more miracles to aid us in winning souls. If your gift is operating properly, you will see it work with the other gifts in the church to encourage and allow souls to be won.

6. Remember to thank the Lord for these gifts. Then also remember to ask for more gifts. Don't ever be satisfied with what you have. Paul had many gifts. God is no respecter of persons. So we may ask for many also. The more gifts we have, the more useful we may be for God.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
UNLEASHING OF THE POWER
OF THE SPIRIT

II Timothy 3:5
"HAVING A FORM OF GODLINESS, BUT DENYING THE POWER THEREOF, FROM SUCH TURN AWAY.."

"FOLLOW AFTER CHARITY, AND DESIRE SPIRITUAL GIFTS, BUT RATHER THAT YE MAY PROPHESY."

Many want power. Healings, miracles, etc. are desired by the churches. It is frustrating when the power is missing from the churches. They have the "FORM" (morphosis, an outward semblance), of religion. This "form" is often called "tradition," and may be beautiful, and meaningful. Yet, the power of the religion is missing. The gifts are not in operation. There is a reason. The reason is that they are "DENYING" (arneomai, to act in opposition to profession, to have deeds show that the profession was false), the power.

How do we "deny" the power of our faith? The context of II Timothy 3:5 shows the reason. In verse 2, "LOVING SELF", and not others is shown as the cause. In verse four, "LOVING PLEASURE MORE THAN GOD" is shown as a method of "DENYING" the "POWER."

Misplaced love saps the power out of Christianity.

In verse 1 of the context, we are told the time of this is to be "IN THE LAST DAYS." So the last days are to see a powerless religion. At the same time, the latter rain revival is to be in operation. Power is to be flowing through the revived saints, as never before. In others, the power is to be missing. How do we get the power?

Misplaced love caused the power to dissipate.

So we need to look at the subject of love, and discover its secret.

Ephesians 4:30
"GRIEVE NOT THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD."

Grief is deeper than sorrow. Herod felt sorrow when he took the head of John the Baptist. Grief springs from love. The deeper the love, the greater the grief. Herod felt no grief, only sorrow. The Spirit feels grief, because He loves greatly.

If the Spirit can be grieved, He must love us greatly. If we grieve the Spirit by our lack of love, the power of the Spirit cannot flow.

Note the context of the verse on grieving the Spirit. In the context the emphasis is love, or rather the lack of it, that grieves the Spirit.

vs 25 "PUT AWAY LYING"
vs. 28 "STEAL NO MORE"
vs. 29 "LET NO CORRUPT COMMUNICATION PROCEED OUT OF YOUR MOUTH"
vs. 31 "LET ALL BITTERNESS AND WRATH AND ANGER AND EVIL SPEAKING BE PUT AWAY FROM YOU, WITH ALL MALICE"

When the Spirit sees the lack of love in the midst of Christians, it grieves Him. The gifts and the power of the church is sapped.

Galatians 5:22
"THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT IS LOVE..."

If the Spirit brings a harvest of love, He Himself must be love. The word "love" is the Greek word, "agape." This word refers to a strong, tender compassionate devotion, recognizing the spiritual worth of even the most unlovely of personalities. If the Spirit is to bring this into our lives when He dwells within, how can we deny this kind of love and expect Him to be there to let power flow through us.

Romans 15:30
"THE LOVE OF THE SPIRIT"

The Holy Spirit engenders us with a personal love, a love pure in content. Paul, in the context of Romans 15:30, recognized the need of prayer and power to come upon him while on the way to Jerusalem. So, by "the love of the Spirit",
Paul requests prayer. Without the love of the Spirit, the prayers would have little power.

II Corinthians 6:6
"BY KINDNESS, BY THE HOLY SPIRIT, BY LOVE UNFEIGNED..."

Note that the "Spirit" is sandwiched in the verse between "kindness" and "love". Whenever the Spirit is allowed to work, kindness and love flow.

I Peter 1:22
"SEEING YE HAVE PURIFIED YOUR SOULS IN OBEYING THE TRUTH THROUGH THE SPIRIT UNTO UNFEIGNED LOVE OF THE BRETHREN, SEE THAT YE LOVE ONE ANOTHER WITH A PURE HEART FERVENTLY."

When your soul is purified into obedience to the Holy Spirit, the result will be true agape love for the brethren. When this happens, the Spirit's power will be able to flow.

Colossians 1:8
"WHO (Epaphras) ALSO DECLARED UNTO US YOUR LOVE IN THE SPIRIT."

Your love is inspired by the Spirit. We become like those with whom we live. Because we dwell with the Spirit daily, and His presence fills us, we should have a great amount of love. In the context of the above verse, Paul says that because of their love, they will be "STRENGTHENED WITH ALL MIGHT..." (verse 11) If love is present, power will be present.

The Holy Spirit is likened unto a dove (Matt. 3:16). The dove is a lovebird. As God spoke out of heaven -"THIS IS MY BELOVED SON...", the love-bird dove descended upon Jesus.

The Trinity loves each other. When this Spirit comes upon us, His nature should also come upon us. Jesus began His powerful ministry after the dove descended upon Him. We need the Dove of love upon us.

The Holy Spirit is called the "COMFORTER." (John 14:16) He comforted the early church. Comfort is an outlet of love. If the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to comfort the believers, how can we get grudges, bitterness, anger toward those He is showing love and comfort, and not grieve Him and His power?????

Romans 5:5
"AND HOPE MAKETH NOT ASHAMED, BECAUSE THE LOVE OF GOD IS SHED ABROAD IN OUR HEARTS BY THE HOLY SPIRIT, WHICH IS GIVEN UNTO US."

The Spirit floods our hearts with love. The more He has of us, the more we can exhibit the love of heaven. If we are co-workers with God, then we possess love.

A lawyer may not love his clients.
A doctor may not love his patients.
A merchant may not love his customers.

But God does not want His co-workers to not love others. It is easy to work with God and the Spirit, if you love. When we cease to love another, the Spirit is grieved and the power of the Spirit dissipates. The Spirit is shedding love upon us, as we receive it and let it flow from us, so will His power.
The Spirit is pictured as a jealous lover.

James 4:5
"DO YOU THINK THAT THE SCRIPTURE SAITH IN VAIN- 'THE SPIRIT THAT DWELLS IN US, LUSTS TO ENVY.'"

God has even told us in the Word, that His name is "JEALOUS". He wants love from us. As we show Him our love, to both Him and to His children, His power will flow through us freely. If we love the world instead of the Lord and His children, He is jealous, and will not be able to bless us as before. God demands first place. His jealousy is insistent upon love being shown.

II Corinthians 13:14
"THE GRACE OF OUR LORD JESUS, AND THE LOVE OF GOD, AND THE COMMUNION OF THE HOLY SPIRIT BE WITH YOU ALL. AMEN."

Note that it is the "communion" that we are to have with the Spirit. Communion is fellowship. Fellowship is impossible without love. The communion of the Spirit demands love between the brethren, who also are in fellowship with the Spirit. We need to show unmerited favor like Jesus did. There is great power available when we get into harmony with the communion, fellowship that the Spirit operates within the body of believers.

If we are filled with the Spirit, we must be filled with love.

John 13:35
"BY THIS SHALL ALL MEN KNOW THAT YE ARE MY DISCIPLES, IF YE HAVE LOVE ONE TO ANOTHER."

The disciples at one time were anxious for supremacy over each other. Jesus said that greatness came through love for others. This love is to be our trademark. To deny the trademark that Jesus insisted that we have, and then to ask why there is no power in our midst, is foolish. To avoid love, avoids the power.

"FOLLOW AFTER CHARITY (love), AND DESIRE SPIRITUAL GIFTS."

If we follow the order of the above verse, we will first "FOLLOW AFTER" the love for the brethren, and then DESIRE spiritual gifts.

To "FOLLOW AFTER" is from the Greek word - diokete. It means "to chase down and pursue." This indicates there should be a great effort made to achieve love.

Then we are told to "DESIRE" the gifts. The word "DESIRE" means "to earnestly want."

We earnestly want the gifts and the power of the Spirit in operation. Yet, some don't want to chase down the love that God wants in the body of believers. If we seek the gifts, and do not have love, we become "LIKE SOUNDING BRASS AND A TINKLING CYMBAL." (I Cor.13:1)

Gifts are linked to love in many places in the Scripture. We want gifts. Some have been given a gift many years ago, and haven't seen it operate for years. Some have never seen God use them with gifts. The reason deals with the flow of love. If we learn to unlock the flow of gifts, by using the key of love, we shall have gifts and power in abundance. In the flow of love will come the gifts. In the lack of love, we will find a "FORM OF GODLINESS, BUT DENYING THE POWER THEREOF."

I Corinthians 14:12
"EVEN SO YE, FORASMUCH AS YE ARE ZEALOUS OF SPIRITUAL GIFTS, SEEK THAT YE MAY EXCEL TO THE EDIFYING OF THE CHURCH."

The reason that the Spirit requires love to be flowing before the gifts can flow, is that the purpose of the gifts is to edify the church. To have the gifts in power as we desire we first must get into harmony with the reason for the gifts of the Spirit.

What is this love ??

See I Corinthians 13:4-8
"SUFFERS LONG" = patient, will allow others to hurt them without retaliation
"KIND" = love in action, deeds that show love
"ENVIES NOT" = not envious or upset by another's blessings
"VAUNTS NOT ITSELF" = humble, love in hiding
"NOT PUFFED UP" = not stuck on self, not glued to a mirror admiring oneself
"DOES NOT BEHAVE UNSEEMLY" =polite, not rude
"SEEKS NOT HER OWN" =seeks good for others
"NOT EASILY PROVOKED" = good tempered
"THINKS NO EVIL" = not looking for faults in others
"REJOICES NOT IN INIQUITY" = not happy when others fail
"REJOICES IN TRUTH" = not deceitful
"BEARS ALL THINGS" = does not retaliate
"BELIEVES ALL THINGS = trusts
"HOPES ALL THINGS" = has positive goals
"ENDURES ALL THINGS" = works hard, no effort is deemed to great for the other
"NEVER FAILS" = doesn't quit

Peter and John loved enough to stop at the gate of the temple and speak to a lame man. The result was a miracle.

Friends lowered a man down through the roof to Jesus, because of their love for the man, and the result was a miracle.

Jesus loved Lazarus and the result was a resurrection from the dead.

Whenever love is poured out, the result is the POWER of the Spirit will flow. If we want miracles, healings, prophecies, words of wisdom, etc., let us chase after the love we need to allow the Spirit to flow with power. If we have grieved the Spirit with a lack of love, let us repent. We can unleash the power of the Spirit, see many signs and wonders, if we simply let love flow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
GETTING TO KNOW THIS PERSON WHO HAS FILLED YOU WITH ALL THIS POWER...

It is vital to get to know the Holy Spirit. He is One of the Trinity, and often the 'forgotten' One. We come to God through Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit initiates that process, with conviction for sin, and then immerses us into Jesus, and then makes sure the communion with the Trinity is possible.

In the infilling by the Holy Spirit, power flows through us, as He wills, to allow us to minister with signs and wonders. There should be signs and wonders done in our lives daily, weekly, so often we may sometimes forget to notice all of them.

So, this relationship with the Trinity, should not ignore the One Who is producing the rivers of living water that flow from us, in rhema words, in miraculous powers, with inspired messages being given.

The Bible reveals much to us about the Person of the Holy Spirit. One way we are shown how, who, what, and why of His personality is through the revelation of His names that describe Him.

Let's look at those names...

The names that we are given in Scripture for the Godhead, reveal much to us. Jesus is given nearly 200 names in Scripture, as Jesus, Savior, Lord, Christ, Messiah, Emmanuel, etc.

Each name reveals an office, a service, a trait, or a fact about our blessed Lord.

God revealed many names for Himself, as Elohim, Jehovah, Jehovah-nissi, Jehovah-rohi, etc. Each of these reveal to us facts about the nature of God.

The same is true for names given to us for the Holy Spirit.

Each name is designed to describe something to us about the Spirit.

Often, we also use titles to substitute for names. If the car needs fixed, we need a mechanic. If we are sick, we need a physician. If our teeth need attention, we go to a dentist. The name indicates the work which the person can do for us, and is really a title.

The Spirit is called many names or titles:

HOLY SPIRIT

The emphasis is on "holiness", and our Lord is a holy God. If we come into contact and relationship with the Holy Spirit, we will come into a new holy relationship with the Lord. Holiness is found by relationship and fellowship with the Holy Spirit.

Isaiah 6:3
‘Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty..."

Because of His holiness, you can expect Him to uncover, expose, and condemn sin. We need the Holy Spirit.

John 16:8
"And when He is come, He will reprove the world of sin."

The Holy Spirit reveals, and emanates, holiness. Without the Spirit's working, the convicting, the revealing, etc., we would not become HOLY. We will not develop holiness, apart from the works of the Spirit in our life.

SPIRIT OF GOD

Ephesians 4:30
"Grieve not the Spirit of God..."

I John 4:2
"Hereby know we the Spirit of God..."

This name shows that the Spirit has a relationship with the heavenly Father. As we develop a relationship with the Spirit, we have a Mediator between us and the Father. We hear what the Lord God, and Jesus also, have to say to and about us, because of the Spirit of God.

The Spirit "proceeds from the Father" (John 15:26). And thereby He can reveal the truth of God ("will guide you into all truth..." John 16:13).

This Spirit of God will guide us toward God (Romans 8:4).

In order to have any relationship with the Father, you must have a relationship with the "Spirit of God."

SPIRIT OF CHRIST

Romans 8:9
"Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His..."

The Christ-life is imparted to us by the one known as the "Spirit of Christ."

He reveals the things of Christ (John 16:14 "for He shall receive of Mine, and show it unto you..."

The Spirit will take the place of Christ, and be the comforter, advocate, and one who gives us strength to carry on... (John 14:16 "He will give you another comforter...")

COMFORTER, ADVOCATE

The word for "Comforter" is the Greek word - paracletos. It means "one who walks alongside, an advocate..."

The Holy Spirit is the Comforter, and as we have a relationship with Him, we receive comfort, aid, and defence from Him. This name reveals another thing that the Spirit wants to give us.

HOLY SPIRIT OF PROMISE

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Promise, for He is part of the fulfillment of the promise of the Lord, and as you develop a relationship with the Spirit, you will have more and more of the promises of God come to you.

Every promise of God is to be given to us by His Spirit.

SPIRIT OF GRACE

Hebrews 10:29 speaks of some who insult the "Spirit of Grace..."

This name of the Spirit reveals to us that His nature and ministry is to bestow and share the grace of God with us.

We come into contact with grace, via the Spirit.
We continue to enjoy the grace of God, because of the Spirit...
The Spirit confers grace to us.

"Mercy" is "not receiving what we deserve," and "grace" is the "receiving of what we do not deserve." We need both.

Jesus paid for the mercy we need, and the Spirit comes to bestow gifts of grace to us.

The gifts of the Spirit are the "charismata" (bestowments of grace).

No merit is needed, for they are received by grace, and that grace is given to us by the Spirit of grace...

SPIRIT OF LIFE

Romans 8:2
"For the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."

A relationship with the Spirit will bring us to a place wherein we can live free from the law of sin and its resultant death penalty.

He quickens our bodies, and makes aware our spirits to live a life of righteousness, and holiness.

Life in the spiritual realm is a product of a relationship with the Holy Spirit of the Lord...

The Spirit of Life is a name that reminds us of that fact.

more revelations about the Holy Spirit from His names to come... stay tuned...

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
SPIRIT OF ADOPTION

Romans 8:15
"...but ye have received the Spirit of Adoption, whereby we cry 'Abba Father'..."

One of the special works of the Spirit is to take "sons of the devil" and make them to become the "sons of God..." As we develop our relationship with the Spirit, He encourages a close relationship with our Father... we cry "Abba Father" which is like us saying, "Daddy" or "Pop". The closeness of our relationship with God is a result of the work of the Spirit of Adoption.

Adoption brings us to a place whereby we are legally "heirs" of God, a true part of the family and all its blessings. We need this relationship with the Spirit of Adoption, and to share the "adoption" blessings from Him.

THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH

This brings me now to a name that has been ignored, misunderstood, or neglected for too long. The Holy Spirit is about to do a work which will bring back into eminent position, the ministry of the Spirit of giving us His glorious TRUTH.

Often in Scriptures, the Holy Spirit is called the "SPIRIT OF TRUTH..."

John 15:26
"...when the Comforter is come, Whom I will send unto your from the Father, even the Spirit of Truth... He shall testify of Me..."

There is a grave need of the TRUTH in Christianity today. There have been false prophets, false doctrines, errors of doctrine, hypocrites and hypocrisy galore, deception and half truths pervading the congregations of these last days.

God has never desired to have Christianity floundering in the midst of such lies and liars. He wants us to know the truth, live in the truth, and be in relationship with the Spirit of Truth.

I Timothy 2:4
"Who (God our Savior) will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth..."

Where the Lord is, in strength and power... there will be truth. Wherever God is in power and revival, truth will prevail.

God will show forth the truth, the Spirit will reveal in His way the truth, and condemn the lies and false doctrines of the false prophets.

Psalms 89:14
"...mercy and truth shall go before Thy face..."

Psalms 57:3
"...God shall send forth His mercy and His truth..."

When the truth of God prevails in the church, the power of God will also be manifest.

If the truth of God is marred and leavened by the hypocrites of the church, the power of God will be hindered.

It is the presentation of the truth to the sinful of this world, and the power of God that accompanies such proclamations, that makes the consciences of mankind be sparked toward acceptance of the gospel.

II Corinthians 4:2
"...by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God..."

To bring TRUTH back into the ministry of the church, we need the SPIRIT OF TRUTH...

He must minister TRUTH to us, and He alone can guide us to the truth.

The neglect of this ministry of the Spirit has hindered, yes - even devastated - the church and its proclamation of the gospel.

John 16:13
"Howbeit, when He, the Spirit of Truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth..."

Jesus says that He is the "truth" (John 14:6), and the Holy Spirit will reveal Him, and the truth to the church...

He has been trying to do such, and will increase His efforts in these last days.

We have seen Him bring a revival of intercessory prayer to the church of the last days, we have seen the Spirit bring a revival of charismatic gifts to the church... Both of these revivals are necessary.

The perversions of truth, the hypocrisy of the false prophets, and the deceptions of so-called Christians have devastated the church, and kept the revival of the last days from its true impact, and kept it from its glorious power that God wants to send.

It will take a judgment and a spiritual revival of the ministry of the Spirit of Truth to effect the latter rain revival as we desire it.

Isaiah 42:3
"He shall bring forth judgment unto truth..."

Zechariah 8:16
"...execute the judgment of truth and peace..."

Proverbs 16:6
"By mercy and truth iniquity is purged..."

II Peter 2:2-3
"Many shall follow their pernicious ways (false doctrines that bring destruction), by reason of whom, the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you; whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not..."

This judgment upon the deceit, hypocrisy, lies, and false doctrines of the church in these last days - must come... in order that sanctification and revival might come in strength.

John 17:19
"And for their sakes, I sanctify Myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth..."

We cannot even truly hear the voice of God, be instructed by Him as we should, until we receive the truth as the Spirit of Truth seeks to impart to this latter rain revival.

John 18:37
"...Everyone that is of the truth heareth My voice..."

We have been spiritual garments to wear in our spiritual warfare against the devil, and if we are not in truth, as we should be, we are missing a very important part of that battle garb.

Ephesians 6:14
"having your loins girt about with truth..."

The church of these last days has much untruth, many lies, abundant false prophecies, and terrible wrong doctrines. The church has had a self-deception about such... Just as those who say they love God but hate their brother are in a self-deception that such is possible... so many other deceptions are in the church.

I John 1:8
"... we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us..."

The church is encouraged to get truth into our midst.

I John 3:18
"let us not love in word but... in truth..."

The world will never get truth, the way the church is supposed to have it. The world, commerce, business, politicians, courts, doctors... all have many deceptions, lies, and prevarications. It is normal for them... They do not even understand the need for unadulterated truth...

John 14:17
"Even the Spirit of Truth, Whom the world cannot receive..."

The world, and much of the church, have perverted TRUTH. The Bible speaks of this happening within and about the church...

Romans 1:25
"...who changed the truth into a lie..."

Romans 2:8
"unto them that... do not obey the truth..."

Galatians 2:14
"walked not...according to the truth..."

II Thessalonians 2:10
"...because they received not...love of the truth..."

I Timothy 6:5
"...disputings of men... destitute of the truth..."

II Timothy 3:8
"...so do these also resist the truth..."

II Timothy 4:4
"shall turn away ears from the truth..."

Titus 1:14
"fables... of men, that turn from the truth..."

The warning in the book of Hebrews is frightening:
Hebrews 10:26-27
"For if we sin willfully, after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries..."

There is a "spirit of error" at work in the world, and definitely within the church of the last days. Most warnings in the Bible of "false prophets" are given to the last day period. This "spirit of error" (I John 4:6) is devastating, and deceiving many within the church.

There needs to be a great repentance of the church for accepting the deceptive doctrines, and false prophecies of this "spirit of error." After the church has repented, the truth will become more known, and the Spirit of Truth will not be so grieved by the false, the lies, the prevarications within Christianity that He is hindered in His revelation of truth.

II Timothy 2:25
"In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth..."

The Spirit of Truth is doing a great work in these last days, and His next emphasis will be to make us more and more aware of the truth. Just as He has given gifts to the church, He is now seeking to give ALL TRUTH to the church.

If we repent of the falsity of the church, if we seek to abandon hypocrisy in all its forms, if we agree to not be blatant with our revelations of truth in opposing lies, liars, hypocrites, and false prophets... the Spirit of Truth will begin to reveal much to you...

How we handle such truth will determine if we grieve the Spirit of Truth and cease to receive such revelations.

Notice that the Bible says "in meekness" (II Tim. 2:25) we are to instruct... We must sometimes "swallow hard", and act as though we do not know the Truth... We must often allow the liars to go unscolded, unhindered in their work, allowing the Spirit to do His work, His way!

SEE PART 2

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
PART 2 OF TODAY'S

The Holy Spirit will reveal truth, and cause a separation between the hypocrites, liars, and false prophets...

He will cleanse the church of them by the harvest of tares (Matthew 13), and He will have this church which has received the truth proceed to the double portion of the latter rain revival, and be truly ready for the rapture of the church.

Many years ago, the Spirit of Truth tried to "bless" me with this gift in a fullness that scared me. When someone spoke a lie.. I would sense the Spirit of Truth telling me that it was a lie. I was instructed by the Spirit to not show that I knew it was a lie (usually). I had to be "meek" and suffer the pain of the knowledge. It hurt so much to know every lie, that I finally asked God to only tell me such if I really needed to know - otherwise to allow me to be lied to - unawares. The Lord did grant my request, and only at times has the Spirit informed me of lies and liars.

Recently, I have been taught of the Spirit of Truth, that I have hindered His work in my life by that partial rejection of His gift.

I am now being shown the importance that "truth-awareness" in the ministry of the gospel.

The Spirit of Truth revealed to Peter when Ananias and Sapphira brought their gifts to the church and lied...

Jesus knew when the woman at the well was being partially deceptive with Him.

Jesus was aware of the source of Peter's words when He told Peter, 'Get thee behind me, Satan...'

Jesus spoke angrily to the Pharisees and scribes (calling them vipers and serpents) when they deceptively tried to trick Jesus with their questions.

The Spirit of Truth wants Christians today to know the truth, live the truth, and recognize the deceitful, hypocritical, false prevarications in the church today...

The Spirit of Truth is restoring the fullness of this gift to many in these last days. He wants to eliminate the false doctrines, the self-deception, the hypocrisy, and expose the hidden tares of the last day revival period. The "tares" have grown amidst the wheat unnoticed for many centuries. Now as the wheat nears its harvest in the rapture, the wheat is turning "white", and the tares are turning "black." This is indicative of the revelation of truth, and the revelation of who are the tares...

Matthew 13:26
"But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also..."

An increased revelation of truth will be given to all saints who desire it...

"...desire spiritual gifts..."

This gift will then remain with those who do not grieve the Spirit of Truth by misusing the gift...

Ephesians 4:25-32
"Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbor; for we are all members one of another. Be ye angry and sin not... Neither give place to the devil... Let no corrupt communication proceed from your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God... Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamor, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice. And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you..."

If we follow those instructions, we will not grieve the Spirit of Truth... and the gift will remain, and do a work the church so desperately needs.

The Spirit of Truth desires us to know "all truth" in these last days...

A double portion of truth is upon us.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.