Speed of light

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
In response to the original question of this thread...

Since you obviously are a Cristian, and you believe the Bible, you shouldn't find it too hard to accept that God made Adam a mature man. This means that Adam didn't grow into a man from a baby. The normal amount of "time" was skipped in order to create a mature male.

But would God give Adam a belly button, scars from injuries he never suffered, and memories of being a child? If not, then why do we see a history in the stars that spans billions of years? We see supernova remnants, galaxies tearing each other apart in a dance that lasts millions of years, large meteor impacts that have not occurred in recorded history (and would have been recorded), etc. When you look at the night sky you do not see maturity. You see a history. According to you, God faked this history.

Reactions: Wiccan_Child
Upvote 0

bibleblevr

Jan 27, 2009
Lynchburg VA
✟8,745.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would say there are two possibilitys: ether some crazy physics thing happened when God made the universe where the speed of matter broke the speed of light and changed the equation of speed by bending time. Or the six days of creation where not six earthly days. (remember for a few days the earth was not created, or at least not in it's present form, so there was no "day") In Hebrew the Genisis acount uses three words for the word "day" we put in place of them. One of them is the "day" as in one revolution of the earth, one is a "day" meaning a span of time better translated an epoch and thirdly one of the "days" is used in the same way as one would say, " Back in my "DAY" we walked to school up hill both ways" so the first "day" may have been 15 billion years. Ezekial states, " to God a thousand years is a day and one day is one thousand years"

Chistianity and sience are perfectly compatible Just look a little harder.

"All wisdom, knowledge, and Good counsel is from God" Proverbs

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I would say there are two possibilitys: ether some crazy physics thing happened when God made the universe where the speed of matter broke the speed of light and changed the equation of speed by bending time. Or the six days of creation where not six earthly days. (remember for a few days the earth was not created, or at least not in it's present form, so there was no "day") In Hebrew the Genisis acount uses three words for the word "day" we put in place of them. One of them is the "day" as in one revolution of the earth, one is a "day" meaning a span of time better translated an epoch and thirdly one of the "days" is used in the same way as one would say, " Back in my "DAY" we walked to school up hill both ways" so the first "day" may have been 15 billion years. Ezekial states, " to God a thousand years is a day and one day is one thousand years"

If you look hard enough, you can reconcile any text with science. It's a pastime of fans to explain away internal and external inconsistencies, plot-holes, and other hiccups in fictional universes.

That you can do the same with the Bible should be no surprise, nor should it be taken as evidence for the veracity of the Bible (anymore than explaining the physics of Stargate proves that the TV show is a documentary...).

Upvote 0

J0hnSm1th

Jan 12, 2006
Australia
✟2,166.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But would God give Adam a belly button, scars from injuries he never suffered, and memories of being a child?
Perhaps He did. I agree that the universe appears to be billions of years old. If God is in the equation, then the real age of the universe could be anything.

There are many stories in the OT of God allowing, even encouraging, deception/delusion. I dont have a problem with that. Perhaps God has critically important reasons for the universe appearing to be old whilst needing to be young.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are many stories in the OT of God allowing, even encouraging, deception/delusion. I dont have a problem with that. Perhaps God has critically important reasons for the universe appearing to be old whilst needing to be young.
Alternatively, the universe may really be old, and God has critically important reasons for (deceptively) making the Bible look like it's describing a young earth (and a typical ancient near eastern cosmology, too). One version of this idea is my "appearance of youth" theory: in reality, Genesis provides a detailed, scientifically accurate description of an old universe and of the evolution of life, but God makes the text look like it's talking about seven days of creation a few thousand years ago. That theory makes at least as much sense to me as appearance of age theories (which is to say, none at all).

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
No one can look at the face of the moon with its million-odd impact craters and conclude that that represents the span of only a couple thousand years. The Earth is considerably larger than the moon and occupies virtually the same space. Had several million asteroids struck the Earth over the past 6000 years, chances are we wouldnt be here to talk about it.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,343.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

"some crazy physics thing" ...

Yeah, that's what it must be, some crazy physics thing...:doh:

<wanders off muttering about today's kids>

Upvote 0

Gatheris

Sep 30, 2009
✟7,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am a Christian but I have a hard time coinciding a literal 6 day creation alongside the fact that we can see stars millions of light years away. Does anyone have a sciencetific explaination and I mean a good one. I've taken plenty of physics in college so please don't respong with "God made it so it appears that way". Thanks....

God is NOT bound by the OUR laws of SCIENCE. this isn't your scientific answer, but, if you believe that God created the world, stars, sun, moon, and everything in 6 days about 6,000 years ago. Don't you think he could make it so we could enjoy the stars without having to wait millions of years?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
God is NOT bound by the OUR laws of SCIENCE. this isn't your scientific answer, but, if you believe that God created the world, stars, sun, moon, and everything in 6 days about 6,000 years ago. Don't you think he could make it so we could enjoy the stars without having to wait millions of years?

You might want to familiarize yourself with the difference between the appearance of age and the appearance of history before jumping into this discussion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

You might also want to familiarize yourself with the word "please", but here you go.
Omphalos
And my readers digest version:
Everything we perceive doesn't just have the appearance of age, it has the appearance of history. That is, we don't just see dormant volcanos that "look old", we can layers of lava flow and buildup or the evidence of previous eruptions. For the Hawaiian Islands we can see new islands have grown and eroded as they've moved over the Pacific hotspot with even newer ones replacing them.
Hawaiian hotspot [This Dynamic Earth, USGS]
When we look at starlight we see similar effects of history such as lensing when the light passed around another object many millions of years before reaching Earth. Also there are nebula and other stellar remnants that are hundreds of thousands of light-years away that resulted from supernovas that many years ago. A great example of what we can learn from observations of supernovas is SN 1987A.

What we observe doesn't just look old, it looks like many different things have happened to it many different times over many, many years.

Upvote 0

Gatheris

Sep 30, 2009
✟7,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What we observe doesn't just look old, it looks like many different things have happened to it many different times over many, many years.

ahhh, so you are on of those people that say a little water and a lot of time did this and i'm the type that says a lot of water and a little time did this.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
ahhh, so you are on of those people that say a little water and a lot of time did this and i'm the type that says a lot of water and a little time did this.
Long-term erosion and short-term flooding leave different traces, so we can tell which one occurred. For example, we know the Grand Canyon wasn't formed by a flood, because floods leave the following:

• a wide, relatively shallow bed, not a deep, sinuous river channel.
  • anastamosing channels (i.e., a braided river system), not a single, well-developed channel.
  • coarse-grained sediments, including boulders and gravel, on the floor of the canyon.
  • streamlined relict islands.
Source.

What do you think created the Grand Canyon?

Upvote 0