Jan 22, 2005
✟457,287.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We went to a petting zoo that comes around annually and towards the end of our visit, we met another autistic man whom I guess to be in his 30s. He lives in that area. First he came around, shaking everyone's hand with a hello. Then he came back to my daughter and me, both our long hair are in ponytails and he swishes them around with his hands and comments that we have such nice long hair and gives us both hugs before he went and jumped onto the horse-pulled wagon for another free ride. :D

In my experience (not being biased because I have an autistic son) but I find this community to be the least judgmental and most accepting. They can pick up on your friendly (and not so friendly) attitudes. They don't care about your background or ethnicity. They see you as a human being like them. There is alot to be learned from the "lesser" community and it's always so rewarding to be around them, even if only a few minutes. Instead of so many people condemning them because they don't fit in their "ideal world", they should be more accepting of them to make everyone's world just a little bit brighter.

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We went to a petting zoo that comes around annually and towards the end of our visit, we met another autistic man whom I guess to be in his 30s. He lives in that area. First he came around, shaking everyone's hand with a hello. Then he came back to my daughter and me, both our long hair are in ponytails and he swishes them around with his hands and comments that we have such nice long hair and gives us both hugs before he went and jumped onto the horse-pulled wagon for another free ride. :D

In my experience (not being biased because I have an autistic son) but I find this community to be the least judgmental and most accepting. They can pick up on your friendly (and not so friendly) attitudes. They don't care about your background or ethnicity. They see you as a human being like them. There is alot to be learned from the "lesser" community and it's always so rewarding to be around them, even if only a few minutes. Instead of so many people condemning them because they don't fit in their "ideal world", they should be more accepting of them to make everyone's world just a little bit brighter.
Very true words, they can smell a bad spirit in a person just like an animal. They are so innocent minded and loving, I find them an absolute pleasure to be around, they put a smile on my face.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
There is alot to be learned from the "lesser" community and it's always so rewarding to be around them,
I tried to be a disability support worker but failed miserably. Too anxious around hoists. Scared of hurting them physically. I didn't realise you need a lot of skill to work with them.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,287.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very true words, they can smell a bad spirit in a person just like an animal. They are so innocent minded and loving, I find them an absolute pleasure to be around, they put a smile on my face.
So true, too! They are very keen people! My friend and I are always saying we can monitor "normal" people by the way our sons act around them.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So true, too! They are very keen people! My friend and I are always saying we can monitor "normal" people by the way our sons act around them.
And thats no lie, I do the same, with kids, animals and special needs. I sit back and Im like hey, watch this........... They have awesome radars :oldthumbsup:

• Agree
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,287.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I tried to be a disability support worker but failed miserably. Too anxious around hoists. Scared of hurting them physically. I didn't realise you need a lot of skill to work with them.
You didn't fail. :) I totally understand your anxiousness around the hoists! I used to be a special needs bus monitor so I didn't have to work the hoists, just keep the kids buckled in their seats which was never a problem for me. There are other ways to help with the community. Calling up your local office for ideas can help. :)

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,287.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And thats no lie, I do the same, with kids, animals and special needs. I sit back and Im like hey, watch this........... They have awesome radars :oldthumbsup:
Egg-zactally!

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My wife has worked with several autistic children, and my sister in MO works with special needs children at the school where she lives. I like being around them, and y'all are right, they can tell when theres a rat in a squirrel suit.
The area I used to drive truck in sent me to lots of farms, and I had several farmers tell me, "I can't believe my dog let you pet him, he never lets anyone near him." Kinda funny.
God bless

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You didn't fail. :) I totally understand your anxiousness around the hoists! I used to be a special needs bus monitor so I didn't have to work the hoists, just keep the kids buckled in their seats which was never a problem for me. There are other ways to help with the community. Calling up your local office for ideas can help. :)
I've worked in aged care. Tried to get back into that recently but 99% women are hired these days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I wish more people think like you. I was treated like a mistake that needed to be corrected all my life and it does not help that I see things like this every time on I'm the net.

autistic-people-should.png

Heartless Aspergers

Trust me, it's difficult to believe that you are made in God's image when you are treated like a defective subhuman all your life. Thank you for this post.
Powerful post Wayholka. You really made your point well there.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,287.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish more people think like you. I was treated like a mistake that needed to be corrected all my life and it does not help that I see things like this every time on I'm the net.

autistic-people-should.png

Heartless Aspergers

Trust me, it's difficult to believe that you are made in God's image when you are treated like a defective subhuman all your life. Thank you for this post.
You are most welcome, Wayholka. :hug: I've seen first-hand how my son was treated and I used my "mom power" to help fight those battles. My son, my rules. As I meet other autistics and hear other parents' stories, we have an amazing capacity to fight the dirtiest of battles and God is with us every step of the way. I follow a site called Autism Digital and I'm constantly reminded how badly the special needs are treated. It reminds me to keep praying and praising those who need our love and compassion the most! I just want to encourage those who are capable of helping to keep up the good work! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Praise God. Thank you for sharing this precious testimony and your thoughts. :)

Upvote 0
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am Autistic too and it has given me a heightened sense of smell. Mom thinks that is one of the byproducts of it. My sense of smell is so good that if I smell anything foul, I might gag.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,287.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is true. Although a heightened sense of smell can also come from other health-related issues as well, it is very true for autistics. :)

I should also add to this thread that a Down's Syndrome and another autistic boy that my son used to go to public school with, these boys received their secondary school diploma this year! The DS boy we could never be sure if he would make it year by year because he has heart conditions. He made it up to the stage, without his wheelchair and accepted his diploma! Very proud of both of these boys. :clap: They've been through very rough roads.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums