Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If I choose tomorrow to live a monastic life: giving away my material possessions, leaving my family commitments and moving to a simple community. I could easily see myself finding a way to live in a constant thankful prayer. As is, I am far too involved in the things of this world, so Instead I more make many reminders and personal commitments to return to that space and live moments everyday in contemplative reflection and prayer.

There is a certain inclination to live all life only focused on fasting, study, prayer, singing and quiet work; however, I still think I am made better by my choice to be in the world, spending much of my days in the complexity of business, family, friends, wife and children.

Hello thank you for the message. I also am involved in the world and am not really close at all to a monstic life. i think i find what is happening to me is that i am praying more often as i go about my day, often in short sentences like, "Lord, protect me today, or, " Lord, i need you to give me strength to get through work today". I wondered if this is what is meant by praying without ceasing (and not on our knees with our eyes closed before the Lord). I therefore wondered how often people were praying throughout their days ( iguess as a result of mine feeling guilty for not doing it more often).
There is something to witnessing how quickly I can lose my composure in something as trivial as hitting a traffic jam.
We've all been there!

For indeed in that moment I can find myself lost in murderous rage and question if I ever even had a peaceful nature to begin with. Or the pure difficulty of watching a child complete defiance or my wife or friend challenging my beliefs.
I do not have a family myself, but i can imagine what that must be like. I will definitely pray for you over this. Is your wife not a christian?

I find these things difficult and even ugly but can't help but think they enhance the moments where I can be completely in prayer.

Perhaps, I am just justifying my own resistance to a better life, but at least for now it seems to be working and simply choosing to make prayer apart of my everyday routine is enough.

I hear you brother. as i continue my walk with the Lord- even though i have heard it a million times before- prayer seems to be the key (and reading the Bible, of course) .

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, oh looks like some people are being a little confusing. It say pray without ceasing, never quit. That could be all day, or all night. It could be morNing and night. Whatever you need. It’s your relationship with Christ that matters and how much help you need. Sometimes I just cry out to God, in myself. Other times I want more formal.

Upvote 0

jameshjr

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2021
Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Oh, oh looks like some people are being a little confusing. It say pray without ceasing, never quit. That could be all day, or all night. It could be morNing and night. Whatever you need. It’s your relationship with Christ that matters and how much help you need. Sometimes I just cry out to God, in myself. Other times I want more formal.
I certainly do not intend to be confusing. i was expressing my recent experiences, and thoughts on prayer.

Here is an explanation of the greek word used in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 for unceasingly:

It seems that it can mean both 'without interruption', and it can also mean 'as often as required'.

I think we can agree that we should all look to pray more often, and not only in 'lip-service' but purely flowing from the heart.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello all, i wanted to get your experience of praying.

I know that we are told to pray constantly, however, being a man, i do not do this. I wondered how often you all speak with the Lord.

( I hope that this makes sense.)

Thanks and God bless,

James.

P.S. this seemed like the most appropriate forum that i could find for the thread, though it is not a request for advice, but a request for people to share their personal experience.
For some people, all day long walking with the Lord becomes an ongoing conversation. "I am with you always."

Reactions: jameshjr
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I know that we are told to pray constantly, however, being a man, i do not do this. I wondered how often you all speak with the Lord.

I.e. when walking down the street are you speaking with the Lord and saying thank you for my ability to walk and for the ability to create a plan and follow it etc.

Thanks and God bless,

James.

P.S. this seemed like the most appropriate forum that i could find for the thread, though it is not a request for advice, but a request for people to share their personal experience.
I'm not sure why being a man would make any difference. I'm the worst at formal prayer for sure but I am the best at thinking and meditating on Him continually. I do throw in a supplication and thankfulness now and then when it is genuine because God knows my heart. Prayer as a form of practice is not what He is looking for. Blessings.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I.e. when walking down the street are you speaking with the Lord and saying thank you for my ability to walk and for the ability to create a plan and follow it etc.

Thanks and God bless,

James.

For me personally, I set aside time each day to pray. I might skip a day here or there if I am tired. Continual prayer does not mean we have to pray every moment of the day, we can't do that if we are working, or doing something that requires attention. It means to not give up in prayer, to pray regularly.

Upvote 0

jameshjr

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2021
Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure why being a man would make any difference. I'm the worst at formal prayer for sure but I am the best at thinking and meditating on Him continually. I do throw in a supplication and thankfulness now and then when it is genuine because God knows my heart. Prayer as a form of practice is not what He is looking for. Blessings.
I meant man as in mankind, human etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jameshjr

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2021
Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
For me personally, I set aside time each day to pray. I might skip a day here or there if I am tired. Continual prayer does not mean we have to pray every moment of the day, we can't do that if we are working, or doing something that requires attention. It means to not give up in prayer, to pray regularly.
Thank you for your thoughts.

Upvote 0