Speaking in Tongues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand what you're saying Lambslove. I have seen churches totally out of "order" everyone carrying on in what they consider to be tongues making weird noises and such-this gives us charismatics a definately weird rep, sigh. There should always be interpretation! What you are talking about is when someone speaks in the tongues of men... when they don't know the language... read the scriptures in my earlier post ok? I agree with you that this is speaking in tongues and very beneficial! What a blessing... but, I also propose there is a heavenly prayer language only understood by God... read 1 Corinthians and the other scriptures I've listed if you are truely interested. This is a hard subject to understand without in depth study. (please don't take last statement the wrong way- i seem to have already offended without meaning to). :angel:

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
"If I could speak in any language in heaven or on earth but didn't love others, I would only be making meaningless noise like a loud gong or a clanging cymbal."

This doesn't say anything about speaking a special language that only God understands. :scratch:

A person who speaks in tongues is strengthened personally in the Lord, but one who speaks a word of teaching strengthens the entire church. I wish you all had the gift of speaking in tongues, but even more I wish you were all able to teach. For teaching is a greater and more useful gift than speaking in tongues, unless someone interprets what you are saying so that the whole church can get some good out of it.

Hmm, it really sounds like he is saying that being able to understand and teach the word is better than speaking in tongues. And if you read the whole chapter, it looks like he's saying not to get all hung up on speaking in tongues. In fact, here is the thesis statement of that whole chapter:

Let love be your highest goal, but also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives, especially the gift of teaching. 1 Corinthians 14: 1

So why is that speaking in tongues seems so much more important to many Christians, so much that they divide who is and who isn't filled with the Holy Spirit by it?

Upvote 0
speaking in tongues isn't meant to divide christians at all... it is a gift of the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost (depends on your translation of the Bible) if I could choose one of the gifts of the Spirit, I'd personally pray for the gift of healing and prophecy ... but lambslove, we are all part of one body in Christ (read 1Corinthians 12.. all of it!)... no one part is more important than the other! These gifts are for unification of the body not division! :angel:

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I agree with you kathleen, the gifts are not meant to divide, but I have been in churches where a new believer had to demonstrate their ability to speak in tongues, or membership and baptism was denied to them! It's sad, and I know that WE don't agree with that, but there are churches where speaking in tongues is grossly abused, and those are the cases that irk me. I DO believe in speaking in tongues, but I don't think that ALL the tongue-speaking these days is from the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
Then I leave you to your ignornace. :wave:

Luke 2:73-8
And the angel said unto Mary, "Tfio meltsas thesda!"
And Mary said unto him, "What??"
And lo, the angel said, "Tfi-o melt-sas thesda?"
to which Mary responded, "Theo what now?"
And Gabriel did flapeth his wings and cried, "THESDA! Tfio meltas!!"
And Our Lady spoke slowly unto the angel saying, "Dooo yooouu speeak Heee-brew?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by lambslove
Otherwise, you're going to be doing some explaining to God....
:eek: I'd better brush up on my Hebrew then!

It would be just as bad for me if I am right, not to stand up for truth, is all I'm saying. Then I'd have to explain to God why I didn't do everything in my power to convince zamar of the truth. "Damned if you do...."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.