No, I'm not sleeping I just have small eyes
Dec 22, 2003
Virginia
✟16,105.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can speak for the tongues part. When you speak in tongues, you just keep praying in what seems to be jibberish but it isn't. It sounds like you are talking like a baby in a way but it isn't. Interpretting....not sure about that. You may need someone who has that gift (although if you speak in tongues, you most likely have interpretation just haven't uncovered it).

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2004
Visit site
✟2,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
ChrisinMI said:
Since I have never witnessed this first hand...how does one know that they are indeed 'speaking in tongues'? And how would you know you had the gift to interpret it?

Always very curious about this fruit of the spirit.
There are actually two separate kinds of tongues, one is meant for public / group edification, and the other one is meant for personal edification (personal prayer language). The public kind (known as the 'gift of tongues') need to be interpreted to edify the group of people around you. The personal kind is meant to build you up spiritually.

The personal kind comes with the baptism of the Holy Spirit. You can learn more about both of these here: http://www.greatbiblestudy.com/holy_spirit_baptism.php

Hope this helps! :wave:

Bobby

Upvote 0

dodad91

Aug 25, 2005
✟7,769.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Greetings Chrisin MI,

The link that TruthSetYouFree had a great deal of information in it, and some of which I would have provided again, but since it was packaged in one place along with a variety of other topics, it could be rather confusing. Because this topic needs months of study in order to fully grasp the various view points.

Much of the information I tend to agree with except the fact that denominations teach different understanding of this subject. It appears from what I read in the link that the writer was either Charismatic or Pentecostal.

I do not believe that one (professing Christian or otherwise) needs to "lay hands" on a new convert in order for them to receive the Holy Spirit, or for that matter, that a person has to "tarry for the Holy Spirit". When Jesus told his disciples to tarry for the Holy Ghost, he told THEM to tarry, because there was a unique reason for them to go to Jerusalem because this was the place in which the events would take place that change the face of Chrisitanity as we know it. Because the church was just beginning and events that pertain to it was used by God to capture the attention of many followers.

And as for laying on hands. Nowhere in scripture that you see any other person who professed or confessed Chrisitanity who laid hands on anyone and they received the Holy Spirit. We only see where the disciples of Jesus Christ did this act. Again, it was unique to the situation at that time and was used as a witness to others who were present that the Holy Spirit was given the Gentiles.

Other than these 2 points, I believe that the article was many truths that lined-up with scripture.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2004
Visit site
✟2,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
dodad91 said:
I do not believe that one (professing Christian or otherwise) needs to "lay hands" on a new convert in order for them to receive the Holy Spirit, or for that matter, that a person has to "tarry for the Holy Spirit". When Jesus told his disciples to tarry for the Holy Ghost, he told THEM to tarry, because there was a unique reason for them to go to Jerusalem because this was the place in which the events would take place that change the face of Chrisitanity as we know it. Because the church was just beginning and events that pertain to it was used by God to capture the attention of many followers.
Hi dodad! :)

I agree that we no longer have to tarry as the disciples did, and I don't believe it is necessary for every believer to have hands laid on them. The article posted though doesn't mention tarrying, and it doesn't say that you must have hands laid on you. The Holy Ghost is given in a variety of ways, including hands being laid on people, people hearing the Word, an act of God, etc. Laying on of hands can certainly help or promote the person to receive the Holy Ghost, just like the laying on of hands can help a healing take place (Mark 16:18). Acts 8:18, "And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money," It's not a necessity, but in many cases it can certainly help bring it about! :)

dodad91 said:
And as for laying on hands. Nowhere in scripture that you see any other person who professed or confessed Chrisitanity who laid hands on anyone and they received the Holy Spirit.

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]1 Timothy 4:14, "Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery."

I remember laying my hands on my aunt, and asking God to baptize her with the Holy Ghost... she got it, right then and there! :wave:

Brother in Christ,
Bobby

[/font]

Upvote 0

Treasurer

May 31, 2005
At home.
✟17,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am one who also believes that speaking in tongues is for other reasons as well. Scriptures say: And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability.

Godly Jews from many nations were living in Jerusalem at that time. When they heard this sound, they came running to see what it was all about, and they were bewildered to hear their own languages being spoken by the believers... (Acts 2:4-6)

And

So you see speaking in tongues is a sign, not for believers, but for unbelievers, prophecy, however, is for the benefit of believers. (1 Corinthians 14:22 I suggest reading 22-25).

I believe the ability to speak in tongues and interprete tongues is a gift of the Spirit. And perhaps given when needed.

When we lived in California we stayed with some relatives on a ranch (it was an orange grove). And they employed mexicans there. The mexicans couldnt speak english. My grandfather could understand them. It was a gift, that is the only way to explain it. He was a carpenter who never graduated high school, in fact he dropped out of school very young. However, my grandfather could not speak spanish, but he would speak to the mexicans, and it somehow appeared like they knew what he was saying to them or at least understood him. And he understood them. They always sought him out for help when they needed to got to the store or something. It was unbelievable.

I believe this was a true gift of the Holy Spirit. Straight from the book of Acts. For I had never seen anything like this before in my life. (And it was definately not jibberish). It was like a miracle. (I only heard it in my language, and they only heard it in theirs, maybe that is how it was in Acts).

I just thought I would share this story with you. Because I personally have never experienced the gift of tongues, but I have never needed them.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Treasurer

May 31, 2005
At home.
✟17,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ashley86 asked a very good question. And one I had once asked myself before too, but never really knew the answer too. But here is what I believe the answer is: Speaking in tongues is of the Spirit. So I believe it must be revealed to us by God. Just as Jesus is revealed to us by God. You know when it is asked of us, how do you know Jesus is the Son of God. It is revealed to us.

And how do we recieve understanding of scriptures? By revelation.

There is also this scripture: try the spirits (1 John 4:1 Beloved believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are from God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world)

So we can check out the truth, to see if it is really truth. Because that is what revelation is, truth. Having our eyes opened to the truth. And our minds opened to understanding (and we learn that from Isaiah 6:9-13 when the Lord says he closes ears, shuts eyes, and heardens hearts. And at the end of this verse he says when it will grow again-Isaiah says in chapter 11 who has the spirit to open the eyes and ears and hearts of the people. And in chapter 33:5-6).

So then by going back to 1 John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God. And every spirit that confesseth not Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of the antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come and even now already is it in the world.

We see why confessing Jesus is so important.

See the interesting thing that I noticed (and I dont know if this is important or not but it is interesting) is this: Acts 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

(Then as you near the end of what happened you see this as Peter continued to speak the words of his Lord to the crowd)

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost....

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day they were added unto them about three thousand souls.

(What I had noticed here was all of it was about the word of God, Jesus Christ. Even the message given in tongues/other languages. And then hearts were touched afterwards, and people came to salvation of their souls).

(When the Lord does things like these, miracles, signs, wonders, it causes belief. In one place I had read before it said, prophecy was for the believers, and tongues was to cause belief in unbelievers *1 Cor. 14:22*)

Blessings :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
W

woman.at.the.well

This is a really good question which I'm glad that CrisinMI asked and have greatly enjoyed reading the responses. I too am going through a question period concerning this subject matter. I'm wondering why it seems like some religions think EVERYone is suppose to have this gift? I don't think it is suppose to be this way. They almost seem to get offended if someone doesn't have the gift of speaking in tongues or like there is something wrong with you if you don't.

I was wondering if anyone can clarify how it edifys us -- individually -- if we are praying in a language WE don't understand it? I understand that their seems to be two kinds of tongues - a tongue as in a language to build up a church, and then a tongue that builds us up individually. But what or who does it edify if it is not audible/understandable?

Upvote 0

ChrisinMI

Nov 18, 2005
✟15,439.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
woman.at.the.well said:
I was wondering if anyone can clarify how it edifys us -- individually -- if we are praying in a language WE don't understand it? I understand that their seems to be two kinds of tongues - a tongue as in a language to build up a church, and then a tongue that builds us up individually. But what or who does it edify if it is not audible/understandable?

Was waiting for an answer...anyone have one??

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2004
Visit site
✟2,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
woman.at.the.well said:
This is a really good question which I'm glad that CrisinMI asked and have greatly enjoyed reading the responses. I too am going through a question period concerning this subject matter. I'm wondering why it seems like some religions think EVERYone is suppose to have this gift? I don't think it is suppose to be this way. They almost seem to get offended if someone doesn't have the gift of speaking in tongues or like there is something wrong with you if you don't.

I don't put somebody down if they don't pray in tongues... we are told to love one another!! If anything, I may try to help them receive it... but I don't push it on anybody, or put them down for not having it! :wave:

woman.at.the.well said:

If you look under the header "Why pray in tongues?" on this article, it will explain how the prayer language works and how it edifies us even if we don't understand it: http://www.greatbiblestudy.com/holy_spirit_baptism.php

I hope this helps :)
Bobby

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
ChrisinMI said:
Since I have never witnessed this first hand...how does one know that they are indeed 'speaking in tongues'? And how would you know you had the gift to interpret it?

Always very curious about this fruit of the spirit.

Umm.. I have seen it many times but hard to explain beliee me if you have it you know it you will start speaking in a different lang. not spanish and all of that it will be just words coming out of your mouth that if someone was to say them you would have no idea what they are saying.Unless they have the gift to inperte it:)You have it than believe me you will know.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
asianchexmix said:
I can speak for the tongues part. When you speak in tongues, you just keep praying in what seems to be jibberish but it isn't. It sounds like you are talking like a baby in a way but it isn't. Interpretting....not sure about that. You may need someone who has that gift (although if you speak in tongues, you most likely have interpretation just haven't uncovered it).

I agree with you except for the interpretation part, not everryone has it not everyone is meant to have it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godslilgurlalways

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
woman.at.the.well said:

Okay when I answer this I will just use speaking in tongues I am not going to separate them so it won't be confusing.Speaking in tongues can bild a person through faith,spiritual,emctionally,physically, and many other ways. I have learned that it build you up b/c the prayer is from your spirit man, which causes it to be pure.Sometimes you could be building up and praying for some one in another country that you never have even heard of before.I think the point of not knowing what we pray is so that God will have control b/c when we pray like that it's pure b/c it's straight from God we can't put in our own wants desires and self can't get in the way. It's one of those things you have to believe faith without works is dead, but without faith it's impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe....... Heb. 11:6. Sorry if it confusing or hard to read I was rushing God bless:)

Upvote 0

Treasurer

May 31, 2005
At home.
✟17,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
woman.at.the.well

I think you are talking about 1 Corinthians 12-13-14 right? The languages: to build up the church and build up individually.

If you dont mind I would like to dig in a little bit. See what we come up with.

I ask myself this: Why would God use tongues as a sign in the first place?

(With God there is always significance. So lets see what we can find)

No place like the beginning of languages if you ask me...Genesis 11:1-9 (I wont quote it all, I'm sure you are glad, lol).

At one time the whole world spoke a single language and used the same words...

let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth...

And the Lord said, Behold the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city....

And you know the rest...Babel.

And now Just from this what can we gather? that we already know about Jesus? What was he sent to do? His purpose was to gather the lost sheep. And Jesus sent his disciples out into all the world in search of his children.

Another interesting thing about this story is that the people were trying to reach into heaven (I dont believe it specifically tells us why. But maybe man was trying to get back to God. Of course we think that is impossible because of our vast knowledge today. However, what did God do for us? By giving the Holy Spirit and uniting the language in this way, he came to man by a sign, uniting them in a way they never even imagined. A way a tower or a city could never get them to heaven or God).

Ok, now I am going to 1 Corinthians.

I find it interesting that Paul says that tongues are for a sign. And this is why he says that: 14:20-22 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. In the law it is written,

With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. (this is in Isaiah 28:11-12)

Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophecying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

And in the book of Acts, I too believe that was for a sign. God was giving the people of Israel a message through signs and wonders.

Now as for the purpose of speaking in unknown languages in the church body, I believe Paul deals with that in chapter 12, 13, and 14.

What Paul is trying to get across to us is this, speaking in tongues is this: another language. Simply stated. Cant get any easier than that. If I am american and I hear someone speaking cantinese, I am not going to understand them. It is another language. It does me no good. I cant learn anything from it, not unless it is interpreted by someone who has been given understanding of that language by the same spirit, that gave this person the message from the Lord. There are many languages in the world, and the Lord God made them all. (Even the heavenly ones).

There are people who have been given a gift of speaking in unknown languages. Doesnt really mean they are unknown, just means, hey I dont know what you are saying. I personally believe that - that person should be in the missionary field, why because the Lord gave that person a special gift. To speak the gospel of Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit (for all I know you have the tower of babel in you-the gift to speak to every nation, tribe and tongue).

Perhaps this gift wasnt meant to build up the believers in Christ, but to build up unbelievers into believers in Christ.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Lauri4Him

Nov 11, 2005
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gifts of tongues was given to the disciples so that all who were present could hear the gospel message. There were many people there from other parts of the world that spoke other languages.

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.5 ¶And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

They spoke different languages and the people present understood them. It was not confused, garbled or baby talk, it was clearly understood for the sake of spreading the gospel.

Acts 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Acts 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

And the rest of the chapter goes on to talk of Jesus and the message of salvation.

Acts 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Anytime I hear someone speaking a foreign language I know it is a real language. Someone who speaks English and that dialect can interpret what they are saying for the benefit of others. This can be learned or as in the case of the apostles God gave the gift of speaking and understanding other peoples languages.

No where in the Bible does the gift of tongues manifest as nonsense that cannot be understood.

1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Please search out this matter for yourself.

This speaking in tongues that is spreading through church groups is a false spirit. Search the Bible, is there an example in the scriptures of what you are witnessing?

The story in acts in no way resembles what I have seen as being called the gift of tongues in the Pentecostal church.

People who can understand, speak or translate in another REAL language have the gifts of tongues.

Sorry if I have offended some of you.

May God bless you and grant you wisdom in all things.

Lauri

Upvote 0

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I grew up with conservative beliefs. Then 1 nite all I remember is setting up in bed and the Spirit came over me & suddenly I was speaking in a *foreign language* tongues. It does sound like a very distinct language(some say a heavenly language & you really almost can hear that in the sounds:)) I think.
Sometimes one's mind bcomes blank & others the Lord will interpret what you are saying/proclaiming in the natural & spirit world mentally or you will verbally speak out the message the Spirit is givng.
& I do believe the laying on of hands will trnsfer the annointing of the Spirit which can include tongues.

There is a verse about the believer speaking out mysteries(future/unknown) which I believe tongues can do as well as edifying the church. I believe that means a word is given to encourage & strenghthen believers. & like was mentioned it is a supernatural sign for the unbelievers in the meeting.
But one must absolutely be careful & prayerful with interpretation...Does it follow scripture & if given during a service for the congregation the Word should be interpreted.

Upvote 0