Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had a bit of a fun experiment yesterday, I tried to use google translate to detect if my speaking in tongues was real.

The problem is you have to choose the language before you interpret so it can be hard to find which language you are speaking. I eventually found that Japanese picked up a lot of the words I was saying.

I found that generally, the stuff was not real clear. But one thing that changed my mind, was my son is really conscious of his hair, and loves to spend time in front of the mirror.

I called him across and asked him if he would like me to speak and get an interpretation for him. When I spoke, the translator replied a sentence about using "hair product". To me, I was stunned, becasue he knew how much he played with his hair. He also thought it interesting that it said that.

I won't be using google transalte to get any words of knowledge any time soon, as it can be quite hard to decipher. But this exercise showed me that God can speak through it.

• Useful
Reactions: Leaf473

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I had a bit of a fun experiment yesterday, I tried to use google translate to detect if my speaking in tongues was real.

The problem is you have to choose the language before you interpret so it can be hard to find which language you are speaking. I eventually found that Japanese picked up a lot of the words I was saying.

I found that generally, the stuff was not real clear. But one thing that changed my mind, was my son is really conscious of his hair, and loves to spend time in front of the mirror.

I called him across and asked him if he would like me to speak and get an interpretation for him. When I spoke, the translator replied a sentence about using "hair product". To me, I was stunned, becasue he knew how much he played with his hair. He also thought it interesting that it said that.

I won't be using google transalte to get any words of knowledge any time soon, as it can be quite hard to decipher. But this exercise showed me that God can speak through it.

wow and that glorified GOD?

Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟67,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know of a few who have learned what their prayer language is, and each time it was in a way that glorified God.
The first I knew of was a lady on a tour of Israel, the tour leader recognized it as a form of ancient Hebrew no longer spoken, thus it served to draw the Jewish tour leader closer to the Savior.
This is separate from a public tongues message, we are required to "pray without ceasing", keeping an ongoing dialogue with the Father and the best and most powerful way I know of is in the Divine prayer language He has made available to all who are His. He knows what we need to pray about more than we ourselves.
bless you and thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
not trying to be skeptical but i thought speaking in tongue is a gift from God i didnt know one can do it at will....
(1Co 12:7)
It is a manifestation (evidence) of the gift, of holy spirit (not a gift in itself) …and can be done at will …Just as when you normally speak your native language.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(1Co 12:7)
It is a manifestation (evidence) of the gift, of holy spirit (not a gift in itself) …and can be done at will …Just as when you normally speak your native language.
But how do you know it comes from God and not a counterfeit?

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm not something I would ever do. Its not of this world. Its between me and Him. Most the time I have no clue what I am saying.. yet with in me I know I have the right to ask to know :) All I am saying is :) its not something I would do.

• Friendly
Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
wow and that glorified GOD?
We were just having a bit of light-hearted fun with it. We were not after some massive sign. We both had a bit of a laugh about the "hair product" thing.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm not something I would ever do. Its not of this world. Its between me and Him. Most the time I have no clue what I am saying.. yet with in me I know I have the right to ask to know :) All I am saying is :) its not something I would do.

I tried every language on the site, and I can't get one that works with my tongue language, so I guess I will not be doing it any time soon either. I was just curious, if it worked it could have been a good way to know God's will. In the same way, there is an "interpretation gift" for tongues.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We were just having a bit of light-hearted fun with it. We were not after some massive sign. We both had a bit of a laugh about the "hair product" thing.

so you can have fun with a gift of the HOLY SPIRIT at will?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so you can have fun with a gift of the HOLY SPIRIT at will?

Yes. As for speaking in tongues, it is done at "will". God is not a wet blanket, putting out the fires of joy, I was not being irreverent just light-hearted with my son.

1Co 14:5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

Speaking in tongues does not just burst out. It is subject to the person. It is a form of prayer.

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.

I was trying to see if I could interpret, as the bible says "unless indeed he interprets", the tongues.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is actually a language identifier at Spoken Language Identifier - API and Demo if a person is speaking a known language.

Although it only supports 8 languages: English, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Portuguese, Dutch, and Russian.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

For me …it’s not a problem.

Long story short:

I spoke in tongues (sit) before I ever heard of it ….or knew what it was.

I read from a book (Power in Praise) that after accepting Jesus Christ…. God gave you a special language that you could speak. The book said just thank God for it open your mouth and start to speak….so I did. It was bizarre and awesome and cool and….I felt like I was floating…It was the highest high I ever had in my life ….I stopped and started several times that night …even went out and found some other people and they did the same.

It took me a few years to learn about the greatness of it and the benefits from it….My tongues have remained the same since that night.

It can’t be counterfeited….but it can be taught and faked…but that is very detectable. I have seen that happened at a couple of at some revival meeting. But anybody that I have ever guided into tongues has manifested …..not because of me…. because God’s promises are true.

All 9 of the manifestation of the spirit are available today… to every born again believer.

Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟67,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What an awesome post! Thank you kindly.
You are one of gems in His crown.
I was very young, playing outside alone, when He brought it to my mind to give Him control of my tongue and the Divine prayer language came out, immediately confirmed by Him in the Holy Spirit pouring out in confirmation and ever since He confirms His truth in the same way.
All the gifts Jesus manifested are available to each of us today.
I like what John wimber related in this video teaching just a few months before he went home- at about 23 minutes is the place I want to share from this

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Bless God , for giving us this gift.
I pray in tongues more than I speak in tongues.
often when I hear what I'm saying I'm just coming out of the experience.
I have interpretation on few occasions, mainly prayer.
I hear people sometimes speaking in tongues that sound exactly alike others.
They seem repetitive, with no dialect.
Not for me to judge.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
After seeing videos of false prophets and teachers who spoke in tongues as part of their prophetic display, I observed that their tongues were not actually articulate and expressive language, but mainly the "Sha ba ba ba" type or something similar. Their language was very disjointed and did not flow in the same way that a normal world language would flow.

I remember a time when I prayed for a guy for him to receive the gift of tongues, and when he spoke, it was such a beautiful articulate language our reaction was joy and praise to God. The language was nothing like what is heard from Kenneth Copeland or Sid Roth. Also, because tongues is sacred and holy prayer communication to God, then it is spoken to Him in a very respectful way, acknowledging that we are praying to an almighty and holy God. Therefore if I hear someone speaking in tongues in either a crazy, or disrespectful way and it makes my skin crawl instead of giving me joy and praise to God, then I know that it is false. There is a major difference between speaking tongues just from the mouth, and genuinely praying in tongues from the heart.

Also, what made my skin crawl was hearing Kenneth Copeland and Sid Roth "laughing in the Spirit". That is not how people naturally laugh! Their "laughing" was so put on that it was totally ridiculous! When we hear a good joke that makes us laugh, the laughter bubbles up from inside of us. We call it a "belly laugh". Laughter that comes from genuine joy is natural laughter which has a beginning, a middle and an end. It never goes out of control. People can roll around the floor laughing, but not like in Pentecostal meetings. Genuine laughter is actually laughing at something funny, or something that makes us joyful. But it certainly is not out of control laughing at nothing in particular just for the sake of laughing.

Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I tried every language on the site, and I can't get one that works with my tongue language, so I guess I will not be doing it any time soon either. I was just curious, if it worked it could have been a good way to know God's will. In the same way, there is an "interpretation gift" for tongues.
Firstly, praying in tongues is a holy lifting of the heart to an awesome and holy God. "Having fun" with anything to do with prayer to God is actually mocking Him, and the Scripture says that God is not mocked. I think it would be a good idea to repent of making light of godly prayer so that the Spirit is no longer grieved.

Also, the gift of interpretation of tongues is for the body of Christ, and not for personal use. Therefore it is a gift that is used in fellowship meetings and services where tongues and interpretation are used to edify all who are present. You might have to repent of misusing the gift of interpretation of tongues as well, to get yourself back to being right with God.

• Agree
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have just finished watching a cessationist video where the speaker said that tongues is preaching the gospel in understandable world languages. He said that when the disciples on the Day of Pentecost spoke in tongues they were preaching the gospel to the crowd who heard them in their own languages, and when Peter got up to speak, he continued to address them in tongues.

So, let's look at the Acts references to tongues and see what the Bible actually says.
Acts 2:1-15:
When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. 2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested[a] on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Here they started to speak in tongues. Note that it says "as the Spirit gave them utterance". This means that they didn't make it up. The Spirit enabled them to speak languages they had never learned.

5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. 6 And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. 7 And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, 11 both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians
The people in the crowd were bewildered, because each heard the disciples speaking in his own language. They were amazed because they knew that the speakers were Galileans, who they knew would not have any way of knowing all the regional languages the disciples were speaking. Ordinary Galileans would be able to speak Aramaic and Greek, and would not be likely to have been able to speak Hebrew, because it was the educated Jews who could do that.

—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.” 12 And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?” 13 But others mocking said, “They are filled with new wine.”
Note that they were speaking the mighty works of God. There is no mention that they were preaching the Gospel. Therefore the view that they were preaching the Gospel in tongues to the crowd is adding something into the text that isn't there.

Peter's Sermon at Pentecost
14 But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. 15 For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day
Now Peter gets up and explains to the crowd what the tongues meant, and goes on to preach the Gospel to them. There is nothing in the text that he continued in tongues when he started preaching. It is quite probable that he preached in either Aramaic or Greek and the crowd, knowing both languages would have understood. He didn't need to preach in tongues. So the idea that he preached in tongues is also reading into the text something that isn't there at all.

Let's look at what happened to Cornelius and his family:

34 So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, 35 but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him. 36 As for the word that he sent to Israel, preaching good news of peace through Jesus Christ (he is Lord of all), 37 you yourselves know what happened throughout all Judea, beginning from Galilee after the baptism that John proclaimed: 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. 39 And we are witnesses of all that he did both in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They put him to death by hanging him on a tree, 40 but God raised him on the third day and made him to appear, 41 not to all the people but to us who had been chosen by God as witnesses, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42 And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead. 43 To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”
Notice in this passage, Peter preaches the Gospel to them. He doesn't preach to them in tongues. He used Greek, because he was preaching to a Gentile who probably knew Greek better than Aramaic.

The Holy Spirit Falls on the Gentiles
44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. 45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. 46 For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, 47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days
. (Acts 10:34-48).

It was after Peter preached the Gospel to them that the Holy Spirit fell and they spoke in tongues. But they weren't speaking the Gospel at all. They were praising and extolling God for His wonderful works just like the disciples at Pentecost. Peter told the Apostles at Jerusalem later on that "the Holy Spirit fell on them in the same way He fell on us."

Let's now look at the Ephesus disciples:

And it happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the inland[a] country and came to Ephesus. There he found some disciples. 2 And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” 3 And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” They said, “Into John's baptism.” 4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying. 7 There were about twelve men in all. (Acts 19:1-6).

Notice here that Paul preached the Gospel to these disciples in the Greek language, and then baptised them in the name of Jesus. He did not preach to them in tongues. It was after he preached that the Holy Spirit fell on these men. There is no mention in the text that they preached the Gospel when they spoke in tongues and prophesied.

So what we see in these three references to tongues in Acts, that the Scripture as it is written, does not support anyone preaching the Gospel in tongues. The cessationist view that tongues was used to preach the Gospel is a product of eisegesis not exegesis. They are reading into the text what is not there. Therefore the teaching that tongues is used to preach the Gospel is false, and there is no evidence that tongues were ever used to preach the Gospel anywhere. The teaching that when Paul spoke in tongues more than all the Corinthians, he was using tongues to preach the Gospels wherever he went is totally false.

Reactions: Disciple_mike
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Bless God , for giving us this gift.
I pray in tongues more than I speak in tongues.
often when I hear what I'm saying I'm just coming out of the experience.
I have interpretation on few occasions, mainly prayer.
I hear people sometimes speaking in tongues that sound exactly alike others.
They seem repetitive, with no dialect.
Not for me to judge.

I met a guy who's gift of interpretation would operate for people praying in tongues. It's quite rare for it to operate that way I think, since it is mostly associated with interpreting the spoken tongue in the assembly, but all 3 of the inspirational gifts are able to be stepped out and operated at will, but most only learn to operate their prayer tongue.

Upvote 0