new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John 16 was only spoken to the Apostles. This is part of the root problem I will address shortly

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hearing voices = not good. (possibly crazy). Scripture = good.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John 16 was only spoken to the Apostles. This is part of the root problem I will address shortly

Yes, John 16 and 17 was Jesus speaking to the eleven--Judas had already left--and preparing them as best he could for what was about to happen. In Chapter 18 we have the betrayal, the arrest, the trial.

But I believe what he said in John 14:
John 14:12 “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father."

So I suppose there are good arguments to be made on both sides. But it isn't important that we settle it here. I trust God to inform us of what He needs us to know when the time comes that we need to know it.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟252,555.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Jesus walked with the disciples, and when he left he sent the Spirit to remain with us to the end of the age and the ends of the Earth. They became apostles. The Spirit is still on Earth and Son on his throne in Heaven. We ought to be disciples of the Holy Spirit. And the Spirit is in the holy angels.

The Spirit is the teacher of all truth, he hovers over us as we read the Bible. Sola Scriptura is a man made device and we need go beyond it and learn from the Spirit with scripture and testimonies.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you stray beyond scripture, you are not listening to God.
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17) (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟252,555.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
The whole Bible from start to finish, with exceptions like genealogies and wisdom, is about God present with man. Abraham needed more that Genesis chapters 1-8... God can do! The Spirit apprehends us that we in turn reach out for him. Pelagius falsely taught that we have the word and human effort now, no longer the Spirit. The word by itself and we dry up, the Spirit by himself and we blow up, but the word and the Spirit and we grow up. Without Jesus' blood, what we are left with?

Php 3:12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

Act 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
Act 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
Act 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

The scriptures speak of God, the Spirit, the ruarch, we cannot manage without him, he is the life of the church. We know him and test for him by using the scriptures, they show us what is of the Spirit and what is counterfeit. "You will know a tree by it's fruit"... Prophecy encourages and comforts, and edifies... As in OP quotes like 1 Corinthians 14.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Crafty Paul gave a long rope to babes of Corinth who were faking what happened in Pentecost and advised them to give up on that which finally stopped. It has relapsed due to delusion in USA about a century ago!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Unless God has also furnished an interpreter, then any speaking is worthless.
And I've never heard of anyone interpreting, in my lifetime.

Scripture now fills that role.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟252,555.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Unless God has also furnished an interpreter, then any speaking is worthless.
And I've never heard of anyone interpreting, in my lifetime.

Scripture now fills that role.
The OT was used to test the NT when it was being written. Tongues is the least of the gifts and is still useful. It has not yet been replaced.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The OT was used to test the NT when it was being written. Tongues is the least of the gifts and is still useful. It has not yet been replaced.

You've not met the criteria for usefulness yet:
28 But if there is no interpreter,
he should remain silent in the church
and speak only to himself and God

It is pretty straightforward.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟252,555.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
You've not met the criteria for usefulness yet:

It is pretty straightforward.
Yes, in church.

At home tongues is for prayer.

At some church meetings, in particular prayer meeting with no preaching, tongues may be sung in harmony, followed by interpretation or other gifts like, word of knowledge.

It is a matter of common sense not rules. Preaching in the known language is more important than hearing an angelic one, not knowing what is being said.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

None of your advice follows scripture:

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟252,555.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
None of your advice follows scripture:

In church we do not interrupt the most important things. Better to follow scripture in understanding and principle than to start obeying it like it is law.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In church we do not interrupt the most important things. Better to follow scripture in understanding and principle than to start obeying it like it is law.
The law of the OT is obsolete. We now live under grace.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No the scriptures are described as a "dim mirror". The Bible has missing parts. There were three letters written to the Corinthians. The women in the Gospels, their works were not written down or were not kept.
I would give these ideas you have some thoughtful payer and study.

The idea that the God who created all things cannot determine and see to it the Truth that He wants to reveal to us is contained within the 66 Book canon I feel is shortsighted.

Now obviously there are other writings that did not make it into the canon. The gnostic texts are one example.

But I think it is in error to think that God did not decide not to include them for a good reason.

I would be wary of ‘other’ text not approved by God as Truth and thinking God in His Glory made a mistake.

Upvote 0