ENNIS
✟15,997.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
my south Indian Bible believing (Pentecostal) parents (father is a pastor) are forcing me to get married, they say the choice is yours but as many women aren't liking your profile (as I have receding hairline), if something comes up I can't say NO outright. There was a recent alliance that came and I said no and they kept doing my head in saying what's the reason (thanks be to God she said no) and also threatening me that they'll disown me and cut me off any inheritance ,(emotionally blackmailing me), they kinda already did that with my sister as she married someone she loved and parents didn't approve him, cut off all communication and settled her with a so called inheritance (lowest of lowest) such that she couldn't file a case in court seeking inheritance.

I said I'm not ready to get married yet,

they said they'll show no concern if I marry anyone else and will be disowned

Every conversation with them now is a head ache, they are quoting children obey your parents in the Lord verse and honour the parents verse. If I don't obey them, they say it's dishonouring them.

But in my head I think if I give into what they say, it's a plain example of mental slavery (also I'm doing wrong to the woman, who've done me no harm).
Kindly advise

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
my south Indian Bible believing (Pentecostal) parents (father is a pastor) are forcing me to get married, they say the choice is yours but as many women aren't liking your profile (as I have receding hairline), if something comes up I can't say NO outright. There was a recent alliance that came and I said no and they kept doing my head in saying what's the reason (thanks be to God she said no) and also threatening me that they'll disown me and cut me off any inheritance ,(emotionally blackmailing me), they kinda already did that with my sister as she married someone she loved and parents didn't approve him, cut off all communication and settled her with a so called inheritance (lowest of lowest) such that she couldn't file a case in court seeking inheritance.

Every conversation with them now is a head ache, they are quoting children obey your parents in the Lord verse and honour the parents verse. If I don't obey them, they say it's dishonouring them.

But in my head I think if I give into what they say, it's a plain example of mental slavery (also I'm doing wrong to the woman, who've done me no harm).
Kindly advise
Can you tell us how old you are?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Kindly advise
Unless women are stating that they aren't liking your profile, then you should not assume that it is because of your receding hairline. Dating sites are notoriously difficult for men and should be avoided if possible. While it is nice for parents to leave an inheritance for their children, I don't see it as being something that they owe to their children, so while it is not the greatest move as parents to threaten to disown you and not give an inheritance, I think that it is within their rights. If you are an adult, then you have the option of trying to call their bluff and just say bye to them, though you should also be prepared for the consequences if they go through with it. If they want you to get married so bad, then it seems odd that they would also be just as willing to actually disown you. Alternatively, you could make a list of reasons for why you don't want to get married to help them understand your position. Or you could agree that you would get married if you found a woman with certain qualities who was interested in you, discuss with them what qualities those are, and then say that if they want you to get married so much, then they need to find a woman with those qualities for you. Getting married to any woman who likes your profile regardless of her qualities is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
My parents are in India and I'm in Europe but they do my head in at every phone call, I really hope this wasn't the case
As you are 30, you are no longer under the authority of your parents. That is the age that Lord Jesus began His ministry. You can remind them of that, graciously and lovingly but firmly.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Finnpan

Aug 25, 2021
ENNIS
✟15,997.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Have you met the woman and talked with her, about this?

No,not in person but virtually, as I'm in Europe and she is in India, I've spoke to her as an initial conversation and later after that call, her dad told my dad that she said no. That chapter is now closed. But my parents are now saying that no one like your profile coz you've a receding hairline. In my head I'm thinking hair doesn't pay the bills

Upvote 0

Finnpan

Aug 25, 2021
ENNIS
✟15,997.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
As you are 30, you are no longer under the authority of your parents. That is the age that Lord Jesus began His ministry. You can remind them of that, graciously and lovingly but firmly.
It's tough to have a firm conversation with my parents, if I say anything they'll say I'm back answering and if I remain quiet they say I'm possessed, seems like I'm screwed either way

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
No,not in person but virtually, as I'm in Europe and she is in India, I've spoke to her as an initial conversation and later after that call, her dad told my dad that she said no. That chapter is now closed. But my parents are now saying that no one like your profile coz you've a receding hairline. In my head I'm thinking hair doesn't pay the bills
About 85 percent of the male population has a receding hairline or will have by the time they are 50. Most of those men are or will be married. There is no truth in the rumour that marriage accelerates the balding process. Now you may go grey quicker............

Upvote 0

Finnpan

Aug 25, 2021
ENNIS
✟15,997.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Unless women are stating that they aren't liking your profile, then you should not assume that it is because of your receding hairline. Dating sites are notoriously difficult for men and should be avoided if possible. While it is nice for parents to leave an inheritance for their children, I don't see it as being something that they owe to their children, so while it is not the greatest move as parents to threaten to disown you and not give an inheritance, I think that it is within their rights. If you are an adult, then you have the option of trying to call their bluff and just say bye to them, though you should also be prepared for the consequences if they go through with it. If they want you to get married so bad, then it seems odd that they would also be just as willing to actually disown you. Alternatively, you could make a list of reasons for why you don't want to get married to help them understand your position. Or you could agree that you would get married if you found a woman with certain qualities who was interested in you, discuss with them what qualities those are, and then say that if they want you to get married so much, then they need to find a woman with those qualities for you. Getting married to any woman who likes your profile regardless of her qualities is a recipe for disaster.

This is exactly the same thing I thought, how do I get married to a person without knowing their character/qualities (same goes for the person who wants to marry me too), but the Indian culture looks only at education, family status (the fame and value they hold in society) and not at the character of the individual.
I think, even before purchasing any items, like a phone, we research to see the spec of the device and see if it's worth the investment for the phone, same goes with buying a car- reading forums and seeing possible issues and actually test driving the car, wouldn't the same go in marriage too - getting to know the person and seeing if it'll work out in all senses (spiritually, mentally and physically).
I don't want to end things in a disaster.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It's tough to have a firm conversation with my parents, if I say anything they'll say I'm back answering and if I remain quiet they say I'm possessed, seems like I'm screwed either way
Well, you are better off being falsely accused of back answering than the alternatives. Stick to your principles. You are not responsible for your parent's actions or words. They are also not supposed to provoke you to anger. It cuts both ways.

Reactions: Finnpan
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But my parents are now saying that no one like your profile coz you've a receding hairline. In my head I'm thinking hair doesn't pay the bills
That is what I would expect a man to say. Does your mother really think this? You say "they" say that.

And in case a man really supposes he can speak for what every woman thinks . . . this can mean he does not know how to love people. Possibly, he has not gotten to know and love a variety of people so he can realize not all woman are alike.

So . . . in case this is so . . . they brought you up. So, it is possible they have somehow passed on unloving ways to you. And their unloving ways in you could be sneaking around to have you doing things not loving the way Jesus wants. I know, in my case, anyway, I have discovered things in me which could have come from my parents, and I have needed correction.

So, I say trust God to truly make you the way you need to become, so you can get with a genuinely Christian woman.

Trust God for however He knows you yourself need correction. And consider Hebrews 12:4-14 about what is involved in real correction by God Himself in us.

And I will offer > :) > it is possible to find a really Christian person, but there are reasons why God's word says we need "longsuffering" (Ephesians 4:2) and "forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (in Ephesians 4:31-32). And > "Do all things without complaining and disputing," (Philippians 2:14) And, "Husbands love your wives, and do not be bitter toward them." (Colossians 3:19)

Because . . . if I understand this right > even mature Christians can still have things that are wrong; so you need to be ready with that "longsuffering" and forgiveness, for if and when you discover the real truth about your wife and other very special Christian companions.

When you find out the real truth about her, will you still love her? With God, our love will increase > we will become better and more mature in how we love and bless and care for and have hope for . . . any person.

How we really are can come out only after we are very closely involved with someone. After you are married, then can be when you will discover you are not be as strong in love, as you supposed. And then is when we need to seek God for real correction, not to merely be criticizing someone else and blaming anyone else :)

Before I got with my lady friend, I knew there could be times when things would come out about my weakness and her faults. And then I would need real deep correction so I could become a genuinely loving person with her, and not so charmed. And yes during the pandemic we were more involved, at times, with each other, and that brought out my weakness so I could get nasty and controlling; it didn't matter if she had been doing something wrong > my bad ways of reacting were proof of how I myself needed to pray and depend on God to really correct and mature me. And then see how I could be caring and creative with her and encourage her in any way she needs to do better.

And I would tell her, see, I am not so great, after all, and I need real correction much more. But she says she still wants me :) and at times I ask her if she does.

And our love seems to be better and better, deeper, quiet but caring and strong . . . not just charming and romance. She told someone I am more mature than she is. Excuse me? lololololololololololololol

So, I now see how God can bring us to a special someone, so then we can discover how we really are and seek God with each other for real correction and maturing in His way of loving. We can tend to attract together with someone who really is more like we are in our character; but then is when we together can learn with Jesus how to love in a close relationship. And then help others.

By the way > Jacob had Leah, and he did not find her to be attractive and he did not love her. So, how did the LORD handle that?

Genesis 29:31

He did love Rachel who was quite beautiful. But the LORD expected him to love Leah, and the LORD enforced that. Therefore, the LORD was not going to have Jacob dictating to God, about if Jacob found Leah to be attractive or not, I would say.

But yes in my opinion, there are both men and women who have a major problem, that they can not love someone unless someone looks attractive, is charming, tones one's voice nicely, talks smart. There is what I call the "You can use me" act which worldly people look for. And even predators and con artists can put on this act and fool people into feeling they are trustworthy and desirable.

So, in case your parents have not found out how to love and how to depend on God to guide them . . . make sure you get wise to any of their ways which they might have passed on to you. Their ways could be sneaky, showing up in you in some different way of not loving any and all people the way God desires, and not first seeking our Heavenly Father for His personal guidance. You could be self-depending in other ways, but still self dependent, for example. They might use arguing and intimidation to get things they want, but you might have other ways of lording yourself over other people so you can use them . . . trying to control people, versus leading and relating by example >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

So . . . in my case I understand I am never to try to lord myself over my lady friend, but always win her to what is good, by good example and encouraging her . . . while trusting God to make her character the right way so what she does can be good for her. If we only change our acting, instead we need how God will change our character so we are loving the way He desires.

Upvote 0

Finnpan

Aug 25, 2021
ENNIS
✟15,997.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
That is what I would expect a man to say. Does your mother really think this? You say "they" say that.

And in case a man really supposes he can speak for what every woman thinks . . . this can mean he does not know how to love people. Possibly, he has not gotten to know and love a variety of people so he can realize not all woman are alike.

So . . . in case this is so . . . they brought you up. So, it is possible they have somehow passed on unloving ways to you. And their unloving ways in you could be sneaking around to have you doing things not loving the way Jesus wants. I know, in my case, anyway, I have discovered things in me which could have come from my parents, and I have needed correction.

So, I say trust God to truly make you the way you need to become, so you can get with a genuinely Christian woman.

Trust God for however He knows you yourself need correction. And consider Hebrews 12:4-14 about what is involved in real correction by God Himself in us.

And I will offer > :) > it is possible to find a really Christian person, but there are reasons why God's word says we need "longsuffering" (Ephesians 4:2) and "forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (in Ephesians 4:31-32). And > "Do all things without complaining and disputing," (Philippians 2:14) And, "Husbands love your wives, and do not be bitter toward them." (Colossians 3:19)

Because . . . if I understand this right > even mature Christians can still have things that are wrong; so you need to be ready with that "longsuffering" and forgiveness, for if and when you discover the real truth about your wife and other very special Christian companions.

When you find out the real truth about her, will you still love her? With God, our love will increase > we will become better and more mature in how we love and bless and care for and have hope for . . . any person.

How we really are can come out only after we are very closely involved with someone. After you are married, then can be when you will discover you are not be as strong in love, as you supposed. And then is when we need to seek God for real correction, not to merely be criticizing someone else and blaming anyone else :)

Before I got with my lady friend, I knew there could be times when things would come out about my weakness and her faults. And then I would need real deep correction so I could become a genuinely loving person with her, and not so charmed. And yes during the pandemic we were more involved, at times, with each other, and that brought out my weakness so I could get nasty and controlling; it didn't matter if she had been doing something wrong > my bad ways of reacting were proof of how I myself needed to pray and depend on God to really correct and mature me. And then see how I could be caring and creative with her and encourage her in any way she needs to do better.

And I would tell her, see, I am not so great, after all, and I need real correction much more. But she says she still wants me :) and at times I ask her if she does.

And our love seems to be better and better, deeper, quiet but caring and strong . . . not just charming and romance. She told someone I am more mature than she is. Excuse me? lololololololololololololol

So, I now see how God can bring us to a special someone, so then we can discover how we really are and seek God with each other for real correction and maturing in His way of loving. We can tend to attract together with someone who really is more like we are in our character; but then is when we together can learn with Jesus how to love in a close relationship. And then help others.

By the way > Jacob had Leah, and he did not find her to be attractive and he did not love her. So, how did the LORD handle that?

Genesis 29:31

He did love Rachel who was quite beautiful. But the LORD expected him to love Leah, and the LORD enforced that. Therefore, the LORD was not going to have Jacob dictating to God, about if Jacob found Leah to be attractive or not, I would say.

But yes in my opinion, there are both men and women who have a major problem, that they can not love someone unless someone looks attractive, is charming, tones one's voice nicely, talks smart. There is what I call the "You can use me" act which worldly people look for. And even predators and con artists can put on this act and fool people into feeling they are trustworthy and desirable.

So, in case your parents have not found out how to love and how to depend on God to guide them . . . make sure you get wise to any of their ways which they might have passed on to you. Their ways could be sneaky, showing up in you in some different way of not loving any and all people the way God desires, and not first seeking our Heavenly Father for His personal guidance. You could be self-depending in other ways, but still self dependent, for example. They might use arguing and intimidation to get things they want, but you might have other ways of lording yourself over other people so you can use them . . . trying to control people, versus leading and relating by example >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

So . . . in my case I understand I am never to try to lord myself over my lady friend, but always win her to what is good, by good example and encouraging her . . . while trusting God to make her character the right way so what she does can be good for her. If we only change our acting, instead we need how God will change our character so we are loving the way He desires.
Thank you so much for the detailed insight. But since that proposal has been dropped off from her end, that chapter is closed.
But the truth is that I'm not ready to get married yet and not to a person without knowing that person and same vice versa.
But the Indian culture is tie the knot first (get married) and then live and love that individual

I totally understand and agree with what you say by leaning on to the Lord and the word and getting to know the person.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The best way forward is meeting in the middle. I have a daughter your age. She isn't ready to marry but she's willing to listen and accept familial input. We've earned her trust and respect as wise counselors.

I submit to the same. When I rekindled my relationship with a previous companion I ran it by them the next day. I wanted to hear their feedback. My grandmother advised me on the qualities I should seek in a spouse. She was married over sixty years. It ended when my grandfather died. I won't disregard her advice casually. She accomplished what I'm attempting.

If you want to diffuse the situation you can't meet strife with strife. That exacerbates the problem. Turn the question around.

Ask how they made it work
What have they learned from their time together
What would they do differently

You should be gleaning from them. Once they tell their story turn the topic back to yourself.

Ask them what you should look for in a wife
What qualities does she need to offset your weaknesses
Where have they noticed you struggle
What are your strengths

Your parents know your shadow better than anyone. That's the part that causes problems and divorce. Addressing it offensively in the natural and spiritually through prayer is wise. As @com7fy8 indicated, it comes out. You need someone who can handle it without calling it quits.

My daughter asked me to find her husband. I told her I'm willing to scout but the choice must be hers. To minimize blame later on. ;)

Practically speaking it makes sense. She's been sheltered. I know the market better than she does and I'm shrewd. I won't be enamored by the things that would sway her. I'm looking at fit.

You can bring your parents into the process without giving up control or having arguments. Show them you value their experience and counsel. They should calm down. Keep some questions in tow. Ask about dates. Let them reminisce. And listen attentively. You'll change the environment.

~bella

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Finnpan

Aug 25, 2021
ENNIS
✟15,997.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The best way forward is meeting in the middle. I have a daughter your age. She isn't ready to marry but she's willing to listen and accept familial input. We've earned her trust and respect as wise counselors.

I submit to the same. When I rekindled my relationship with a previous companion I ran it by them the next day. I wanted to hear their feedback. My grandmother advised me on the qualities I should seek in a spouse. She was married over sixty years. It ended when my grandfather died. I won't disregard her advice casually. She accomplished what I'm attempting.

If you want to diffuse the situation you can't meet strife with strife. That exacerbates the problem. Turn the question around.

Ask how they made it work
What have they learned from their time together
What would they do differently

You should be gleaning from them. Once they tell their story turn the topic back to yourself.

Ask them what you should look for in a wife
What qualities does she need to offset your weaknesses
Where have they noticed you struggle
What are your strengths

Your parents know your shadow better than anyone. That's the part that causes problems and divorce. Addressing it offensively in the natural and spiritually through prayer is wise. As @com7fy8 indicated, it comes out. You need someone who can handle it without calling it quits.

My daughter asked me to find her husband. I told her I'm willing to scout but the choice must be hers. To minimize blame later on. ;)

Practically speaking it makes sense. She's been sheltered. I know the market better than she does and I'm shrewd. I won't be enamored by the things that would sway her. I'm looking at fit.

You can bring your parents into the process without giving up control or having arguments. Show them you value their experience and counsel. They should calm down. Keep some questions in tow. Ask about dates. Let them reminisce. And listen attentively. You'll change the environment.

~bella
Thank you Bella, really great insight, I really hope we'll reach a resolution.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums