Sources Familiar say GOP Hard-liners plot to replace McCarthy with a deputy next week (after government shutdown)

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Voters with freedom caucus members: throw the bums out!

I say this as someone who lived in George Santos' district for 16 years (with better representation.) Have my former neighbors lost their minds?

But the freedom caucus won't find votes to install a speaker from their own ranks (aka a national embarrassment.) McCarthy's short term proposal got 198 Republican votes with 21 freedom caucus nays.

Looks like their fellow Republicans see them as the destructive distuptors they are.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would hope Republicans would not be stupid enough to remove the Speaker, at least this Congress, in the middle of a government shutdown. If they remove McCarthy, I can see it being a couple of weeks -- while the government remains shut down -- before Republicans can get a new Speaker elected and even begin to try to reopen the government.
If he kept his word they should keep him, he was only made speaker by agreeing to certain conditions. If he broke his word they should boot him. Otherwise the corruption will continue forever.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
If he kept his word they should keep him, he was only made speaker by agreeing to certain conditions. If he broke his word they should boot him. Otherwise the corruption will continue forever.
He (and many others) also gave their word when they made a deal to raise the debt ceiling. That bill raised the debt ceiling *and* set spending caps for 2024 and 2025 that Joe Biden agreed to. The bill passed the House 314-117, a huge victory margin. That's where the center of the county is. That's where the big majority is. Among the nays were House Freedom Caucus members and the Democratic 'Squad'.

Why can't the GOP just stick to the deal most of them made?

Joe Biden's on board
Both aisles of the Senate are on board
House Democrats are on board

But the House GOP is being held hostage by a tiny fraction of their members, when there's a bipartisan budgetary level with huge support.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He (and many others) also gave their word when they made a deal to raise the debt ceiling. That bill raised the debt ceiling *and* set spending caps for 2024 and 2025 that Joe Biden agreed to. The bill passed the House 314-117, a huge victory margin. That's where the center of the county is. That's where the big majority is. Among the nays were House Freedom Caucus members and the Democratic 'Squad'.

Why can't the GOP just stick to the deal most of them made?

Joe Biden's on board
Both aisles of the Senate are on board
House Democrats are on board

But the House GOP is being held hostage by a tiny fraction of their members, when there's a bipartisan budgetary level with huge support.
I don't really follow such supposed deals, if the agreements are not in writing it's always he said, she said. As I understand it, a small number of Republicans are voting with the Democrats against the bill. I'm not a member of either party, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. The problem is that people put party above country. I've dealt with many members of Congress and their staff, and some would rather let people die instead of expose dishonesty or other wrongdoing within their own party. Let them argue it out, it is a lot better than going along with broken promises.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I don't really follow such supposed deals, if the agreements are not in writing it's always he said, she said.
It's in the text of the bill. It is in writing.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's in the text of the bill. It is in writing.
Oh, are you arguing that they should leave the passed bill alone? Passing a new bill or an amendment in such cases would not be breaking anyone's word.

Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't really follow such supposed deals, if the agreements are not in writing it's always he said, she said. As I understand it, a small number of Republicans are voting with the Democrats against the bill. I'm not a member of either party, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. The problem is that people put party above country. I've dealt with many members of Congress and their staff, and some would rather let people die instead of expose dishonesty or other wrongdoing within their own party. Let them argue it out, it is a lot better than going along with broken promises.
Yeah, and there's no reason for Democrats to help him when he broke his word to them about raising the debt ceiling.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As we know .... there was difficulty with putting McCarthy into speakership, yes there were concerns about how he would lead. McCarthy made promises on some specific things and has not delivered on those promises so is being called out on that ... and rightfully so.

If a government shut down occurs .... both parties are responsible for it. Both parties are responsible for the massive debt we have.

The mass migration is a huge problem because as we see it is causing great chaos across our nation ... this is our biggest problem right now ... it is impacting every aspect of our economy ... overwhelming the system .... if it is not controlled .... IT will shut this nation down (destroy it).

Either way (now or later) ... if the border is not secured to the highest degree ... a shut down will indeed occur (overwhelmed system) ... whether or not the government is funded now or not.
Really? Sounds like you have unreasonable expectations in a week he's been in office. You all are bound and determined not to give him a chance.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Really? Sounds like you have unreasonable expectations in a week he's been in office. You all are bound and determined not to give him a chance.
Not at all .... I am very hopeful the new speaker will get the republican party back to it's core values. He has some great ideas. Also, know change isn't easy and it will take some time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not at all .... I am very hopeful the new speaker will get the republican party back to it's core values. He has some great ideas. Also, know change isn't easy and it will take some time.
If he holds fast to the Freedom Caucus' demand to not negotiate with Democrats, he will fail. I hope he does not.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On the contrary ... I am hopeful ... but also history of the past Republican party has always caved to the Democrats ... we will see.

Upvote 0