Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm at a crossroads in my life where I am having to pick between Presbyterians and Nazarenes and which church to go to. As a result, I have to come to understand whether I believe in Calvinism or Arminianism, or maybe Molinism, which is more or less a third option that I think warrants examination.

Does anyone have any recommendations for arguments in favor of Arminianism against Calvinism? I have plenty of resources on the Calvinist side but less on the Arminian side.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm at a crossroads in my life where I am having to pick between Presbyterians and Nazarenes and which church to go to. As a result, I have to come to understand whether I believe in Calvinism or Arminianism, or maybe Molinism, which is more or less a third option that I think warrants examination.

Does anyone have any recommendations for arguments in favor of Arminianism against Calvinism? I have plenty of resources on the Calvinist side but less on the Arminian side.

I am on the Arminian side of that discussion.. not sure if this is the right place for me to say more about it.

We could start with Isaiah 5:4 and John 1:11

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Well as an Eastern Christian believer I like this little article.

Dialogue on Free Will & Determinism

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you like books there's some available on the subject.
"Why I am not a Calvinist" by Jerry Walls and another fellow for example.

Good Day, Renniks

Here is the complete video of the released version of the debate between two Calvinist professors , Bruce Ware and Tom Schreiner, and two Wesleyan scholars, Joe Dongell and Jerry Walls. The debate took place in 2001 in Lexington, KY.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day,

Classic Arminianism would never affirm the illogical presupposition of Molinism

upload_2022-7-8_11-31-11.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SashaMaria

He is risen! Alleluia!
Jun 23, 2018
East coast
✟203,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The gentleman in this video is a Methodist and in this video called “A Biblical Alternative to Calvinism,” he makes a case for Armininism to a group of Methodists. He seems to recommend reading writings by John Wesley about Calvinism, and also works by a theologian called Ted Olson.

In his video prior to the above video, “Explaining Calvinism (to a bunch of Methodists)” he explains what he understands Calvinism teaches.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The gentleman in this video is a Methodist and in this video called “A Biblical Alternative to Calvinism,” he makes a case for Armininism to a group of Methodists.

But even so -- he makes it based on what is found in the Bible not merely based on opinions outside the Bible.

Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Verses are helpful, but does anyone know of any good books arguing for Arminianism?

I will look into this for you assuming you want something Methodist or Wesleyan in orientation? I could refer you to Patristic writings which align with the Arminian perspective.

By the way as a general study on Methodist theological principles, the Oxford Handbook of Methodist Studies is very good. They also have a Handbook of Anglican Studies which pairs extremely well with it as it provides the context John Wesley was working in as a priest in the Church of England.

Upvote 0