Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not posting this thread to ask people's opinions about whether or not they agree with door-to-door soul-winning, or the effectiveness of it; this is beside the point. So, if you are going to post a response which is against it, you can keep that comment to yourself please.

What I am asking about is soul-winning in regards to warnings against no solicitation. I know that the Supreme Court has ruled that handing out free literature cannot be considered solicitation since you do not ask for anything tangible from the person you are engaging with, like money or whatever else, and I know that evangelism cannot be considered solicitation either.

However, last night when I went soul-winning in an apartment complex that is in my town, I knocked about 12 doors before a lady came and told me to leave, that there was no solicitation in the area. This is the first time this has ever happened to me personally, so I complied and left at her request. However, I feel upset at myself now currently because I knew very well that what I was doing was not legally considered solicitation, and that I left out of the request of men instead of following the will of God.

Has anybody had experience with this? And when you go soul-winning, and thus confronted about it, how do you handle it? Are you able to let them know that you're not legally soliciting? And does that work? Or is it always better to leave when they say so?

Last edited:

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not posting this thread to ask people's opinions about whether or not they agree with door-to-door soul-winning, or the effectiveness of it; this is beside the point. So, if you are going to post a response which is against it, you can keep that comment to yourself please.

What I am asking about is soul-winning in regards to warnings against no solicitation. I know that the Supreme Court has ruled that handing out free literature cannot be considered solicitation since you do not ask for anything tangible from the person you are engaging with, like money or whatever else, and I know that evangelism cannot be considered solicitation either.

However, last night when I went soul-winning in an apartment complex that is in my town, I knocked about 12 doors before a lady came and told me to leave, that there was no solicitation in the area. This is the first time this has ever happened to me personally, so I complied and left at her request. However, I feel upset at myself now currently because I knew very well that what I was doing was not legally considered solicitation, and that I left out of the request of men instead of following the will of God.

Has anybody had experience with this? And when you go soul-winning, and thus confronted about it, how do you handle it? Are you able to let them know that you're not legally soliciting? And does that work? Or is it always better to leave when they say so?
Our role as Christians is to tell people about the gospel and to testify to what Jesus has done for us. There is nothing in the Book of Acts where Paul went door to door with the gospel. He taught in the Jewish synagogues and in the market places. He demonstrated the truth of the gospel through signs and wonders, ie, getting people healed and freeing them from demonic influence and domination.

Going on to private property is an invasion of personal privacy and I don't believe it is supported by the New Testament. It is actually counter productive, because going door to door identifies genuine Christians with JWs and Mormons whose method is principally door to door solicitation.

One of the most effective ways of sharing the gospel is to do deeds of kindness to others - neighbors, workmates, family members, and others who come across your path. In this way, they see your works and glorify God. Weeding on old person's garden, or mowing their lawns for them is one of the most effective ways of sharing the goodness and love of Christ to them.

In the Book of Acts, whole communities came to Christ when one lame guy was healed, and in another place, a woman was raised from the dead.

People will read us before they read the Bible, and if they see our love, joy, peace, gentleness, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, patience, and self control in the way we interract with those who come across our path, then they will be the ones who will want to know more about why we are like this, and this gives us the opportunity to testify of what Jesus has done for us.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Our role as Christians is to tell people about the gospel and to testify to what Jesus has done for us. There is nothing in the Book of Acts where Paul went door to door with the gospel. He taught in the Jewish synagogues and in the market places. He demonstrated the truth of the gospel through signs and wonders, ie, getting people healed and freeing them from demonic influence and domination.

Going on to private property is an invasion of personal privacy and I don't believe it is supported by the New Testament. It is actually counter productive, because going door to door identifies genuine Christians with JWs and Mormons whose method is principally door to door solicitation.

One of the most effective ways of sharing the gospel is to do deeds of kindness to others - neighbors, workmates, family members, and others who come across your path. In this way, they see your works and glorify God. Weeding on old person's garden, or mowing their lawns for them is one of the most effective ways of sharing the goodness and love of Christ to them.

In the Book of Acts, whole communities came to Christ when one lame guy was healed, and in another place, a woman was raised from the dead.

People will read us before they read the Bible, and if they see our love, joy, peace, gentleness, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, patience, and self control in the way we interract with those who come across our path, then they will be the ones who will want to know more about why we are like this, and this gives us the opportunity to testify of what Jesus has done for us.
I didn't ask your opinion on whether you agreed with soul-winning or not. It works, period. I've seen it work. It's worked for me. I've heard of it working for others. I've met people on whom it has worked. Entire congregations have been built on nothing but door-to-door soul-winning. Just because you think it makes us look a certain way is not the point.

I'm asking for advice not on soul-winning itself, whether or not it works, but methods of confrontation that will inevitably come one's way when they go out into the world to preach the gospel to every creature; particularly no solicitation.

Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Planet earth
✟15,451.00
Country
Iceland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

You did the right thing, I think. You showed respect, and it's always good. Your heart told you what to do and you followed. You're a golden human being. I wish more people were like that.

As for that lady's claim, I think it's a good practice to check such things beforehand. If there's indeed a no-solicitation request in effect for an apartment complex, then find other complexes. I think there are many like that for you to canvass. So if some lady tells you this next time, you would know for certain if she's telling you the truth or is lying to you just to get rid of you.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What you're doing, in their perception, is solicitation...whether it is to the letter of the law or not is irrelevant unless the cops get involved. I wouldn't let it trouble your heart. The Lord did not make their hearts receptive to the Word and therefore your effort was met with the response you received. Carry on.

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I don't know that I'd rely on the "letter of the law" so to speak to try and get around a no soliciting sign. The general intent of that is that they don't want people going door to door bugging people for any reason, or people with ill intent using the cover of that to gain access to people's homes for criminal purposes.

1. Is it posted that there is no soliciting? Then don't go.
2. If it's not posted, I don't know that I would let one person telling me that make me leave. That may be just an excuse they are trying to use to silence you.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I trust you took the time to shake the dust from your sandals?

Matthew 10:14-15 And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town.

Seriously though, you've learned from the experience. Next time someone presents you with a false accusation, you'll have a better answer. ;)

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I trust you took the time to shake the dust from your sandals?

Matthew 10:14-15 And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town.

Seriously though, you've learned from the experience. Next time someone presents you with a false accusation, you'll have a better answer. ;)
True, you're right. I guess it's just one of those lessons learned the hard way.

• Friendly
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
...or people with ill intent using the cover of that to gain access to people's homes for criminal purposes.

That's a good point. I just came home from vacation to find a Jehovah's Witness tract on my doorstep, which I found frustrating for no reason other than they just alerted everyone to the fact that I wasn't home. I had a coworker who was burglarized by a couple of guys who used door-to-door fundraising as a way to discover who wasn't home. Refusing any kind of door-to-door solicitation, regardless of how the courts define it, is a security measure.

I'm afraid I don't have a good answer to the question of how to do it. I've been addressed by Mormons and JWs when I was walking on a path or in a parking lot. I just had an Indian man stop me to talk to me as I was walking by his home and he was standing outside, smoking. Still, I know I have neighbors who never see the light of day, because they confine themselves to their own homes, and the only way to reach them would be to knock on their doors. Frankly, I don't think there is a universally applicable rule to reaching people. Just play it by ear and don't beat yourself up for going down one road and not another.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The church I was a member of for 15 years went door to door and still do. They will door and ask if the residence have any prayer requests or needs and drop a flyer with service times on it. I don't see a problem with that and will probably take part when I join another church.

The Baptist church I attend now is so low key I didn't know they still had regular services! I thought it was a historic building until one night I was driving by and seen a dozen cars in the lot. If they would have left me a flyer I probably wouldn't have stopped by years ago.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

• Informative
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That's a good point. I just came home from vacation to find a Jehovah's Witness tract on my doorstep, which I found frustrating for no reason other than they just alerted everyone to the fact that I wasn't home. I had a coworker who was burglarized by a couple of guys who used door-to-door fundraising as a way to discover who wasn't home. Refusing any kind of door-to-door solicitation, regardless of how the courts define it, is a security measure.

I'm afraid I don't have a good answer to the question of how to do it. I've been addressed by Mormons and JWs when I was walking on a path or in a parking lot. I just had an Indian man stop me to talk to me as I was walking by his home and he was standing outside, smoking. Still, I know I have neighbors who never see the light of day, because they confine themselves to their own homes, and the only way to reach them would be to knock on their doors. Frankly, I don't think there is a universally applicable rule to reaching people. Just play it by ear and don't beat yourself up for going down one road and not another.
The Biblical way to reach people is to simply preach the Gospel and leave the rest to Christ Jesus the Lord. When He has determined the time of love and mercy on a chosen sinner He will see to it that he/she hears the Gospel preached.

It is only when you want to do that which belongs to the Lord that you try to make church members.

And yes I do believe in handing out tracts, as long as they promote biblical truth instead of seeking to get folks to recite a prayer, or going on radio and tv preaching the Gospel of Christ, as long as He provides the means and we don’t have to ask for support. We cast our bread upon the water believing that He will use it to call out His sheep.

We are to simply and clearly do what He has called us to do and leave the rest to Him.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

You're bold, I would have a hard time knocking on doors. Usually, in a case of door-to-door soul winning I allow them to come to me LOL. Oh, the interesting conversations I had with some Church of God folks. My neighbor next door was there, because they had knocked on his door too, and he began to side with me (strangely, if you knew him) when it got a little heated whether God has/is a mother. So I was able to hit two birds with one stone there!

I tend to walk when I pray, and these Church of God "missionaries" happen to often cross paths with me here and there, and it opens the door for evangelism. Sometimes I talk to people on drugs, sometimes people who are homeless, sometimes people kicked out of their house, and it is usually them looking for someone to talk to (they come up to me). Great opportunity I have. I'm sure I couldn't do this in another state, it is safer here than most places in the US.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to be on the side that proselytizing was not really needed. However, recently I have begun to think that it might be of more value than we tend to think. The LDS/Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are still growing (slightly) in this country, mainly out of a sense of offering people a place they can belong, by reaching out. Even if the missionaries are not approached themselves, they are a visible presence in the community. I think more denominations should be a more visible, personal, presence in the community, and the mainstream Christians could take some lessons from the LDS and JW's on how to get out there and talk to people.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

ObadiahHaidabo

Apr 8, 2019
Portland, Oregon
✟13,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The LDS/Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are still growing (slightly) in this country, mainly out of a sense of offering people a place they can belong, by reaching out.

Some JWs are doing 20-30 hours per week every week for long stretches. Some are full time and some are beyond full time. There are at this moment thousands of JWs going door to door.

I've heard it said that it's sad that they will do for a lie what Christians won't do for the truth.

This isn't the whole story, of course. Jesus commanded us to "go therefore" not specifically to knock on doors in pairs of two. Door knocking is by no means the only form of evangelism, and it's fair to observe that JWs do not engage in debate, do not publish significant apologetics, do not participate in non-JW forums, etc., so there are many forms of evangelism they are missing.

Still, I think it's fair to wonder if these cults are spending more energy on spreading lies than we do on spreading truth.

Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some JWs are doing 20-30 hours per week every week for long stretches. Some are full time and some are beyond full time. There are at this moment thousands of JWs going door to door.

I've heard it said that it's sad that they will do for a lie what Christians won't do for the truth.

This isn't the whole story, of course. Jesus commanded us to "go therefore" not specifically to knock on doors in pairs of two. Door knocking is by no means the only form of evangelism, and it's fair to observe that JWs do not engage in debate, do not publish significant apologetics, do not participate in non-JW forums, etc., so there are many forms of evangelism they are missing.

Still, I think it's fair to wonder if these cults are spending more energy on spreading lies than we do on spreading truth.

All true. Interestingly enough, I went to a community event (food trucks, stage performance, etc.) this weekend that was PACKED! Who was there, a JW literature stand and two JW missionaries. No other church had anyone handing out information or talking with people. These events are great places to reach out, but they are barely used by anyone. This is actually the first time I have seen a JW kiosk at an event like this, but it is a great idea.

Upvote 0