Sort of sabbatical; what would you use it for?

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,016.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Way back in my Presbyterian days I had a somewhat prophetic pastor. I've got a vague memory that he predicted something like this, probably in relation to a future business one of his sons would have, and which would be badly affected by a pandemic, which it has been.

He commented, "I think they'd have been better to have let it run through the community." But then he shrugged, "I suppose they will have wanted to save some lives."

He predicted that before he died himself in January 1992, along with a few other things eg. "I think you'll become Catholic."

Now we'll have to wait for the second and third waves, with Victoria pretty much isolated from the rest of Australia, and NSW increasingly so. International tourism will remain in the doldrums most likely till a vaccine has been developed and is widely available. We have no herd immunity. Government debt is going through the roof, and the piper will want to be paid sooner rather than later.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,143.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Still, I look at what's happening overseas and I'm glad we seem to be being spared the worst, for now, at least.

Planning a move to NSW is much more complicated than usual, but no doubt it will all work out in the end, one way or another.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Still, I look at what's happening overseas and I'm glad we seem to be being spared the worst, for now, at least.

Planning a move to NSW is much more complicated than usual, but no doubt it will all work out in the end, one way or another.

Alas, the world needs more Utah. ;)

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Way back in my Presbyterian days I had a somewhat prophetic pastor. I've got a vague memory that he predicted something like this, probably in relation to a future business one of his sons would have, and which would be badly affected by a pandemic, which it has been.

He commented, "I think they'd have been better to have let it run through the community." But then he shrugged, "I suppose they will have wanted to save some lives."

He predicted that before he died himself in January 1992, along with a few other things eg. "I think you'll become Catholic."

Now we'll have to wait for the second and third waves, with Victoria pretty much isolated from the rest of Australia, and NSW increasingly so. International tourism will remain in the doldrums most likely till a vaccine has been developed and is widely available. We have no herd immunity. Government debt is going through the roof, and the piper will want to be paid sooner rather than later.

A pandemic was fairly widely predicted; the film Contagion seems uncanny, but before you had Contagion, you had Outbreak, The Stand, the Michael Crichton classic The Andromeda Strain, and a slew of zombie apocalypse films and TV series, as well as much terror over the prospect of biological warfare. That said, your pastor does sound like a great futurist and thinker, someone who could objectively analyze and comment on future trends in an objective and non-sensationalist manner. This is a rare gift; I get too upset by the inevitable miseries of the short term future to do it myself.

Upvote 0