✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
SAINTS COMMANDED TO MARRY FOR ETERNITY.
The Lord has commanded us, as it is recorded in the revelations, that marriage among members of the Church should be performed in his holy house, and not for time only, but for time and all eternity. Therefore, those who are satisfied to receive a ceremony for time only, uniting them for this life, and are content with that, are ignorant of this fundamental principle of the gospel and its consequences, or they are in rebellion against the commandments of the Lord.
Now, what I want to say is intended very largely for the parents of the young people. I think the parents, perhaps, are more to be blamed, because, in many instances, very many instances, they have not taught their children the sacredness of the marriage covenant….
It fills my heart with sadness when I see in the paper the name of a daughter or a son of members of this Church, and discover that she or he is going to have a ceremony and be married outside of the temple of the Lord, because I realize what it means, that they are cutting themselves off from exaltation in the kingdom of God.

SORROW IN RESURRECTION IF NO ETERNAL MARRIAGE.
These young people who seem to be so happy now, when they rise in the resurrection-and find themselves in the condition in which they will find themselves-then there will be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and bitterness of soul;
and they have brought it upon themselves because of their lack of faith and understanding of the gospel, and from, I am sorry to say, the encouragement they have received many times from their own parents….
Of course there are people who are not worthy to go to the temple, and therefore should not go to the temple. No one should go to the temple except those who are worthy, as the Lord has said, "who [have] overcome by faith," and are cleansed and are just and true. Then they can go to the temple. If they are unclean, if they lack the faith, they had better stay out until they get the faith and are clean.

Doctrines of Salvation, 2:60

Whoa! That's a bitter pill to swallow!

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The church that claims the eternal importance of the family unit has no compassion for converts' families who are forbidden access to their children's wedding. A day that is celebrated by Jewish, Catholic, Orthodox, and other relgions is not allowed in Mormonism. Attending a reception doesn't equal attending a wedding.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
The church that claims the eternal importance of the family unit has no compassion for converts' families who are forbidden access to their children's wedding. A day that is celebrated by Jewish, Catholic, Orthodox, and other relgions is not allowed in Mormonism. Attending a reception doesn't equal attending a wedding.

If you've been in a temple, you'd know how small the individual rooms actually are in there.

This means that even if both families are 100% LDS, it's usually only the immediate family and a few close others who are in there.

It's also why so many LDS families compensate via massive receptions afterwords, and sometimes even multiple receptions as well.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If you've been in a temple, you'd know how small the individual rooms actually are in there.

This means that even if both families are 100% LDS, it's usually only the immediate family and a few close others who are in there.

It's also why so many LDS families compensate via massive receptions afterwords, and sometimes even multiple receptions as well.

The Mormon church had no problems building HUGE temples or making large rooms (basket ball courts). They deliberately make small or large rooms. There is no one closer than immediate families. The size of the rooms is not the reason non-members of the Mormon church are excluded.

• Agree
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Receptions are not weddings. Fathers want to walk their daughters down the aisle.

Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
The Mormon church had no problems building HUGE temples or making large rooms (basket ball courts). They deliberately make small or large rooms. There is no one closer than immediate families. The size of the rooms is not the reason non-members of the Mormon church are excluded.

The temples are large because they have a lot to contain, which means some of the individual rooms themselves - even the important ones - are small.

And for the record, the "basketball courts" are actually intended as overflow areas. If the sanctuary can't hold people for services, then the overflow areas are opened up and chairs pulled out. Once services are done, the dividers are put back in place and the overflow is segmented up for classroom space. The reason why the hoops are there is because in some of the larger chapels, the overflow area is large enough for a regulation game; the hoops (which in many buildings are retractable) provide the membership with an activity that they can do.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The temples are large because they have a lot to contain, which means some of the individual rooms themselves - even the important ones - are small.

The room's size is not an excuse for the attitude towards non-members whom Mormons judge as unworthy to be there!

And for the record, the "basketball courts" are actually intended as overflow areas. If the sanctuary can't hold people for services, then the overflow areas are opened up and chairs pulled out. Once services are done, the dividers are put back in place and the overflow is segmented up for classroom space. The reason why the hoops are there is because in some of the larger chapels, the overflow area is large enough for a regulation game; the hoops (which in many buildings are retractable) provide the membership with an activity that they can do.

It is a multipurpose room for dinners, roadshows, dances, wedding receptions, etc. The older buildings had doors to that room, not dividers.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
The room's size is not an excuse for the attitude towards non-members whom Mormons judge as unworthy to be there!

It is a multipurpose room for dinners, roadshows, dances, wedding receptions, etc. The older buildings had doors to that room, not dividers.

"Attitude"?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
SAINTS COMMANDED TO MARRY FOR ETERNITY.
The Lord has commanded us, as it is recorded in the revelations, that marriage among members of the Church should be performed in his holy house, and not for time only, but for time and all eternity. Therefore, those who are satisfied to receive a ceremony for time only, uniting them for this life, and are content with that, are ignorant of this fundamental principle of the gospel and its consequences, or they are in rebellion against the commandments of the Lord.
Now, what I want to say is intended very largely for the parents of the young people. I think the parents, perhaps, are more to be blamed, because, in many instances, very many instances, they have not taught their children the sacredness of the marriage covenant….
It fills my heart with sadness when I see in the paper the name of a daughter or a son of members of this Church, and discover that she or he is going to have a ceremony and be married outside of the temple of the Lord, because I realize what it means, that they are cutting themselves off from exaltation in the kingdom of God.

SORROW IN RESURRECTION IF NO ETERNAL MARRIAGE.
These young people who seem to be so happy now, when they rise in the resurrection-and find themselves in the condition in which they will find themselves-then there will be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and bitterness of soul;
and they have brought it upon themselves because of their lack of faith and understanding of the gospel, and from, I am sorry to say, the encouragement they have received many times from their own parents….
Of course there are people who are not worthy to go to the temple, and therefore should not go to the temple. No one should go to the temple except those who are worthy, as the Lord has said, "who [have] overcome by faith," and are cleansed and are just and true. Then they can go to the temple. If they are unclean, if they lack the faith, they had better stay out until they get the faith and are clean.

Doctrines of Salvation, 2:60

Whoa! That's a bitter pill to swallow!

Compared to what the scriptures actually say:
Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

Everyone will be in an "exalted" state---not just a few---weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth, bitterness of soul are for those that go to hell only.

Mat_13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Mat_24:51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Mat_25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Luk_13:28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.

"Of course there are people who are not worthy to go to the temple, and therefore should not go to the temple. No one should go to the temple except those who are worthy, as the Lord has said, "who [have] overcome by faith," and are cleansed and are just and true. Then they can go to the temple. If they are unclean, if they lack the faith, they had better stay out until they get the faith and are clean."

So far off from saying--come into my house, and I will clean you--here they have to clean themselves up before coming to God, which is not possible---It is Jesus that cleanses our sins. We come as we are, He does the rest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Whoosh. You missed the point. The LDS intentionally build the temples as they do to limit those in attendence. If they had wanted to allow more people to attend, they could have made them bigger. Makes them seem snobbish.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whoosh. You missed the point. The LDS intentionally build the temples as they do to limit those in attendence. If they had wanted to allow more people to attend, they could have made them bigger. Makes them seem snobbish.
If you don't in the church why would you want to participate

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
If they had wanted to allow more people to attend, they could have made them bigger.

Not always.

The church is often in competition with other groups for property, and so it very often has to make do with what's available.

For example, the NYC temple had to be built inside of an existing property; the lower floors are used as a chapel, while the temple property is on the upper floors.

Or the Lubbock (Texas) temple was built on a piece of property that was adjoining the lot the stake center was on; the property was about the same size, and so the buildings were about the same size.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you don't in the church why would you want to participate
Gee, I don't know... maybe because my 2 mormon sister-in-laws got married in the temple and my wife (their sister) couldn't attend, along with other non-mormon members of the family. Exclusion was not was Jesus preached. The gospel is open to all.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not always.

The church is often in competition with other groups for property, and so it very often has to make do with what's available.

For example, the NYC temple had to be built inside of an existing property; the lower floors are used as a chapel, while the temple property is on the upper floors.

Or the Lubbock (Texas) temple was built on a piece of property that was adjoining the lot the stake center was on; the property was about the same size, and so the buildings were about the same size.
Wow, a minority to represent the majority? Don't think so. The temples I have seen, and those I have seen online, could have been built to accomodate at least 100-200 people, if not more, to witness a ceremony.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any evidence to support this claim?
What is the purpose of the temple? For endowments, right? Do you really want me to go there? As I understand it, there is an order to the rooms as they are built to represent your "progression" via certain "endowments". These endowments (including marriage/sealing) are not open to the public are they?

So why would large rooms be built to accomodate such ceremonies? They are not. But since you asked...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_architecture_(LDS_Church)

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/articles/facts/
A large priesthood assembly room was standard in all temples until the Salt Lake Temple was dedicated. Since then, very few temples have included such a room, representing a design transition that focused more on ordinance work and less on general assembly.

Upvote 0