• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Son with aspergers not doing well

anma

Sep 20, 2015
✟8,339.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
For the last few days my son has been in aspergers mode, just not doing well, not talking and not reading God's word. He told me today that He can't hear God so maybe he isn't reall. Also a lot more stuff, but it is all related to God. He told me that God only created him to torture him. He deliberatly was late for work today. I take him to work, and he just took his time getting ready. I could really use some prayers for him, I never know how to handle this when he is like this. I worry that he won't want to go to church on Sunday.

Reactions: brinny

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi; just saw your post.

Reading the Word together at home and praying is probably even more important than meeting with other Christians; the two are linked, of course.

While it's good your son can do some work, I hope he can become motivated.

Reactions: anma
Upvote 0

Locum7

Mar 2, 2016
Uk
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Allow him to ask difficult questions, and dont answer in panic, just in love. Share your journey with him when an opportunity comes, pray for him, pray for his peace. Have fun with him, maybe see if there are some Christian social events he can attend?

Upvote 0

anma

Sep 20, 2015
✟8,339.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I will pray, but sometimes we just need space. Something is likely bothering him. Find the source. He will come around after he copes.
I can always tell when he is going to get like this, I see the signs gradually approaching. If you recomend space, then I will give it to him. I just hope that he goes to church tomorrow. Thanks so much for your reply.

Upvote 0

anma

Sep 20, 2015
✟8,339.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Prayers for you and you son...
Darkhorse, I know that you told me before that you have two sons with this. Maybe you could give me some guidance? He wasn't diagnoised until he was 18, so much that goes on in trying to help him, makes him think that I dont think he can take care of himself, if that makes sense.?

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I can always tell when he is going to get like this, I see the signs gradually approaching. If you recomend space, then I will give it to him. I just hope that he goes to church tomorrow. Thanks so much for your reply.
Even if he doesn't go tomorrow, that's fine. There's next week. Sometimes we really just need space, as I said, and a mental break. I'd worry long term, but not over tomorrow. You're welcome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said: ↑
Bless yer heart, and his....praying for your precious son, and for you at this very difficult time (((hug)))

Thank you so much for the prayers, they are really needed!

You are most welcome, continuing to pray, dear heart (((hug)))

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Darkhorse, I know that you told me before that you have two sons with this. Maybe you could give me some guidance? He wasn't diagnoised until he was 18, so much that goes on in trying to help him, makes him think that I dont think he can take care of himself, if that makes sense.?

My boys are 23 and 20 now, and I am still teaching them life skills like doing laundry, managing money, locking doors, being aware of scams, driving safely, etc. I try to emphasize that these are skills everyone should know, but many people running around in the world don't know them well enough. I also emphasize that I am always learning better ways to do everyday things too, and I want to pass that knowledge along (not pass it down) to them. Maybe he can come to see you as a partner, rather than "someone who knows" teaching "someone who doesn't know". Hopefully this helps...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anma

Sep 20, 2015
✟8,339.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My boys are 23 and 20 now, and I am still teaching them life skills like doing laundry, managing money, locking doors, being aware of scams, driving safely, etc. I try to emphasize that these are skills everyone should know, but many people running around in the world don't know them well enough. I also emphasize that I am always learning better ways to do everyday things too, and I want to pass that knowledge along (not pass it down) to them. Maybe he can come to see you as a partner, rather than "someone who knows" teaching "someone who doesn't know". Hopefully this helps...

I do work with him on driving letting him know that he needs to be the one watching all around him because others don't watch things as they should.He knows how to cook, and is into healthy living styles. He does fast and pray when he isn't like he is right now. My husband has helped him with money, and he is pretty good with it. So much for himself during the week, makes sure he does his tithing for church etc...

I would like to see him get a car, he is 23 right now and we still take him to work and pick him up. He wants to get past being a janitor, part time in our school system.

Right now he is upset because he says that God doesn't talk to him. I don't know how to explain to him that we don't actually hear his voice but it comes to us through reading God's word and listening to our thought processes, and he does want to go to college, but doesn't know for what though.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Locum7

Mar 2, 2016
Uk
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you write to someone, you are communicating with them, even if they dont hear you, the same goes for sign language. The bible is Gods letter to us, it says a lot to us, we need to give ourselves to it. Maybe go through some encouragingpadsages or verses that encourage, like Gods promises, and see if he can grasp that that is Godtalking to him through his word.

Upvote 0

anma

Sep 20, 2015
✟8,339.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If you write to someone, you are communicating with them, even if they dont hear you, the same goes for sign language. The bible is Gods letter to us, it says a lot to us, we need to give ourselves to it. Maybe go through some encouraging padsages or verses that encourage, like Gods promises, and see if he can grasp that that is God talking to him through his word.

When He is like this he doesn't want to think about God's word. This is what makes it difficult to tell him of different Scriptures to read. He will call the Bible, just a book of nothing :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Locum7

Mar 2, 2016
Uk
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Keep the pressure off, he needs to find it in his own time, wait for opportunities to talk or address things, but dont push it onto him or he may pull further away. Arrange a movie night at home. The less pressured more likely he will talk. What about his dad?

Upvote 0

anma

Sep 20, 2015
✟8,339.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Keep the pressure off, he needs to find it in his own time, wait for opportunities to talk or address things, but dont push it onto him or he may pull further away. Arrange a movie night at home. The less pressured more likely he will talk. What about his dad?
I don't think that his dad ever accepted that he has this, even though he and I both went to counseling together in regards. It just makes his nerves bad as per his line of thinking.

Joe wants to Hear from God, a voice. I just don't know how to ansswer that one anymore other then telling him that it is through Gods word and prayer that we hear him in our consciences speaking to us.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe he can understand that, since God is all-powerful, He doesn't need to use sound in our ears to reach us; that He can place thoughts directly into our minds, and read our thoughts as well.

If he has trouble distinguishing this inner voice of God from his own thoughts, remind him that God can (and often will) supply us with knowledge and wisdom that we could never think of on our own.

If this is an issue of faith in God's existence, maybe he can understand that God seldom gives people solid, irrefutable, undeniable proof of His existence. He gives us plenty of evidence to believe, but He leaves room for disbelief. He wants to develop and strengthen our faith, and faith isn't really faith without room for unbelief.

Upvote 0

Locum7

Mar 2, 2016
Uk
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, going a bit deep here, but if his dad is emotionally distant, its possible that how joe feels about God. Its quite common that our views of parents affect our views if God. Worth calmly and peacefully praying through. Think you are in for a bit of a journey with it. Prayer needs to be your best friend.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm just seeing this thread now and don't know if your son went to church that Sunday you were referring to, but you can't force him to do something he doesn't want to do.

Praying for wisdom and guidance for you in this whole situation and that God would 'talk' to your son in a way that is very clear to him.

Gillian

Upvote 0