Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
My smallest son is watching a show called rick and morty and i think its a bad influence for him but i can't get him to stop since he just goes to his friends to watch it how do i promote the idea that violence and cursing is bad?

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Get em off that show asap, certainly not a good show for kids.

Cursings the least of your worries with that show.
However, you can just have a frank talk with your son about the inappropriatness of cursing, and the negative effects of violence.
Best way to do it, no beating around the bush.

And I've watched a fair bit of anime, a lot of it is very pseudo sexual, I guess you'd say. A lotta anime aint for kids.

But, Pokemon, dragonball z, naruto, yu yu hakesho, I remember watching these as a kid and I turned out fine. They all aired on CW for kidz, so I mean, they're pretty clean.

• Useful
Reactions: Camila Smith
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it really depends. Anime is a really catch all term for a super wide variety of shows. Just like any programming, there is decent, good, and bad. As Wolfe said, Dragonball Z, Pokemon, and some others are quite tame and akin to most any cartoon we might be familiar with. Then there is a whole other side that is on the complete other end of the spectrum - and a lot in between. Maybe try and familiarize yourself with some? The anime streaming service "Crunchyroll" has a free trial, you could check out some programs and maybe give him a list of "Mom approved" shows? I feel it is better to offer alternatives rather than ban it entirely.

• Useful
Reactions: Camila Smith
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
"Rick & Morty" isn't anime.

Anime = Animated material produced in Japan. Some people will also bunch animated material from South Korea and China into the mix.

That being said, it's normally broadcast during a late-night or overnight time slot, so how's he watching it?

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Anime = Animated material produced in Japan. Some people will also bunch animated material from South Korea and China into the mix.

That being said, it's normally broadcast during a late-night or overnight time slot, so how's he watching it?
Good catch, I had not heard of the show before....but after looking you are right, that is really just a cartoon similar to Family Guy, not really my genre so I have not watched it.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Good catch, I had not heard of the show before....but after looking you are right, that is really just a cartoon similar to Family Guy, not really my genre so I have not watched it.

I tried watching one episode just to see what the fuss was about. That's 15 minutes of my life I'm not getting back.

Upvote 0

Camila Smith

mother of towo
Sep 20, 2017
Auburn, Alabama
✟9,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

it is animated so i will call it anime, he watches it on his phone, he goes on websites like you tube. i have taken his phone and downgraded him to an old nokia. but the problem is that he goes to his friends to watch it and i don't want to ban him from doing so

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it is animated so i will call it anime, he watches it on his phone, he goes on websites like you tube. i have taken his phone and downgraded him to an old nokia. but the problem is that he goes to his friends to watch it and i don't want to ban him from doing so

It is animated, that is for sure! :)
However, it is not really "anime". Anime is a specific type of animation, usually from Asia and more specifically Japan and some people qualify some animation from China, Korea, and Taiwan, but it still has to fit the style of art.

Anime is really a style of animation art and printed/drawn/computer art material like manga (kind of like comic books). Further, in Asia anime tends to appeal to most age groups, from children to the elderly, unlike "animation" which tends to not be widely appealing for people over their mid 20's. From the outside it looks like anime=animation, but that would be like calling a motorcycle a car. Sure they both have motors and get people places, but they are not the same thing and one would not call a motorcycle a car or a car a motorcycle.

All that said, I think the original answers are even more valid. In animation there are tons of different styles and shows available, and there certainly are decent and good shows that are not immoral or "bad".

Good luck, I think there is a fair balance that can be achieved. :)

Upvote 0

PinkDragon

Dream crusher
Oct 29, 2016
Europe
✟27,786.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I watched every episode of Rick and Morty about 4 times and I can say that the show is great once you get in to it. So great that you can't stop when you are hooked. Since new episodes come every week there is always something to do on a Sunday/Monday (dependant on where you live). The show might be kind of bad because of cursing and some bloody scenes but I think you are hurting your child more by not letting him watch it than letting him do so freely. Have a talk with him and tell him cursing is bad and stuff like that but don't stop him from watching the show it's no use if he is just going to go to his friends to see it anyways.

• Agree
Reactions: Allied_Spice
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Just let him watch it, the current season is only one more episode, and then it will be two years until the next season comes out. By then, you'll be wishing back for a slightly problematic cartoon show to worry about.

• Agree
Reactions: Allied_Spice
Upvote 0

Camila Smith

mother of towo
Sep 20, 2017
Auburn, Alabama
✟9,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
It is animated, that is for sure! :)
However, it is not really "anime". Anime is a specific type of animation, usually from Asia and more specifically Japan and some people qualify some animation from China, Korea, and Taiwan, but it still has to fit the style of art.

Anime is really a style of animation art and printed/drawn/computer art material like manga (kind of like comic books). Further, in Asia anime tends to appeal to most age groups, from children to the elderly, unlike "animation" which tends to not be widely appealing for people over their mid 20's. From the outside it looks like anime=animation, but that would be like calling a motorcycle a car. Sure they both have motors and get people places, but they are not the same thing and one would not call a motorcycle a car or a car a motorcycle.

All that said, I think the original answers are even more valid. In animation there are tons of different styles and shows available, and there certainly are decent and good shows that are not immoral or "bad".

Good luck, I think there is a fair balance that can be achieved. :)
motor cycles are cars because they have tires and go on the road and i will continue to call it anime because that is what my sons says :)

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So why come here to ask a question only to not listen to others answer that "it is not anime" (and it's not). That seems very counter productive...

Anyway, to answer your question; I think it would be wise to research, what you call anime (even though it's not), for your son. That's what I would do if I had kids. Actually that is what my dad did with me.

• Friendly
Reactions: Toro
Upvote 0

MissRowy

Ms Snarky
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
Western Sydney
✟250,212.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
Ricky and Morty is not anime and its not for kids.

Some good suggestions from me:
Howls Moving Castle - this has won numerous awards
Voltron Defenders of the Universe (2016) - great show and teaches about diversity and how being different is not a bad thing

Upvote 0

John "Sir Ota" Go

<Insert Wacky Title Here>
Oct 21, 2017
Quezon City
✟10,180.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From what I've seen, Rick and Morty is a show DEFINITELY not for kids. That being said, there are many anime's (Just to note, Rick and Morty is not anime, since anime is made in Japan) aimed for kids like Pokemon, Digimon, Yokai Watch, and etc.

That being said, you can't really stop him, since he'll just continue to find ways to watch it on his own, so I think you should counsel him on what's right and what's wrong. Tell him swearing is bad, it's not good to punch other kids, etc. Try to counter all the bad things the show tries to teach him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Camila Smith

mother of towo
Sep 20, 2017
Auburn, Alabama
✟9,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
So why come here to ask a question only to not listen to others answer that "it is not anime" (and it's not). That seems very counter productive...

Anyway, to answer your question; I think it would be wise to research, what you call anime (even though it's not), for your son. That's what I would do if I had kids. Actually that is what my dad did with me.
no

Upvote 0