Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Claire,

There are many great books out there explaining doctrine and defending beliefs, and there are others which can help us in growing close to God. The best way to know if the book reflects Catholic teachings and practices is to look for an imprimatur and a nihil obstat. This is a declaration by a bishop that the book is free from doctrinal error. You will find these words along with the name of the Bishop who has approved the work on the inside cover on the copyright and publishing page.

Everyone has given great advice so far. I think we all read the same books!:blush: As for rosary beads, it doesn't really matter which ones you get. If you or your son take them to the priest he will pray a blessing over the beads praying that your son will grow closer to God through the prayer. It might be worth getting a meditation booklet to help your son to pray the rosary. There a tiny ones which simply mention one verse from Scripture, larger ones which have a small meditation on that Scripture, and larger ones which mention more of the Scriptures and have multiple reflections. I recommend 'The New Rosary in Scripture' by Edward Sri. It's comprehensive (in my opinion) and has some writings by JPII about the rosary at the back. It cost me AU$23.95. It's great to have something to help you to think more deeply about the mysteries (passages of Scripture) used in the rosary because of course the rosary is all about the Gospel:clap:. And, of course, feel free to join in and pray the rosary as well.;)

May God bless you!
Clare.

Upvote 0

ClaireZ

Senior Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
USA
✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Claire,

There are many great books out there explaining doctrine and defending beliefs, and there are others which can help us in growing close to God. The best way to know if the book reflects Catholic teachings and practices is to look for an imprimatur and a nihil obstat. This is a declaration by a bishop that the book is free from doctrinal error. You will find these words along with the name of the Bishop who has approved the work on the inside cover on the copyright and publishing page.

Everyone has given great advice so far. I think we all read the same books!:blush: As for rosary beads, it doesn't really matter which ones you get. If you or your son take them to the priest he will pray a blessing over the beads praying that your son will grow closer to God through the prayer. It might be worth getting a meditation booklet to help your son to pray the rosary. There a tiny ones which simply mention one verse from Scripture, larger ones which have a small meditation on that Scripture, and larger ones which mention more of the Scriptures and have multiple reflections. I recommend 'The New Rosary in Scripture' by Edward Sri. It's comprehensive (in my opinion) and has some writings by JPII about the rosary at the back. It cost me AU$23.95. It's great to have something to help you to think more deeply about the mysteries (passages of Scripture) used in the rosary because of course the rosary is all about the Gospel:clap:. And, of course, feel free to join in and pray the rosary as well.;)

May God bless you!
Clare.

Thank you. I will be sure to look at any books I consider to be sure they have been approved by a bishop. I most certainly don't want him to waste his time on something that other people say about what Catholic belief is.

I did read the section here about the Rosary and the meditations, and I can now understand how this would help focus your mind while working through the rosary. I never realized how long it would take to complete a rosary correctly! I also plan to get this book that you mentioned on the rosary for my son, it sounds wonderful.

Please continue in prayer for my son as he begins his search, and for me, that I might have wisdom to guide him.

Upvote 0