Son of Church of Satan Founder Preaches Jesus Christ

Fenrir

The Violent Wolf
Feb 27, 2004
✟113.00
Faith
Atheist
Actually... I honestly am not sure if the whole Anthony/Jess/whatever LaVey thing is true. Here's the quote from a Satanic LiveJournal community concerning this story.

"The site that the news article was copied from published a later article casting doubt on it's authenticity.

The dramatic testimony of a minister claiming to be the son of Anton LaVey, the founder of the Church of Satan, has been called into question. Critics say that Jess LaVey's story does not add up -- and he has refused to provide information that could confirm his identity.

LaVey's testimony, which he has told in churches, interviews and posted on the Internet, includes accounts of how he suffered years of abuse by his infamous father, who he said wanted him to become the satanists' leader, before breaking free from the world of the occult and becoming a Christian.

After LaVey's story was reported by Charisma News Service in April, John W. Morehead of the cult-watching group Watchman Fellowship said that he had not been able to corroborate LaVey's claims and that LaVey's descriptions of LaVeyian satanism "have no basis in fact."

LaVey, who is based in Yucaipa, Calif., sent Charisma News copies of personal documents to confirm his identity, but the Social Security number was discovered to have been issued to someone of another name, and some of the papers were found by an identities investigator to have been doctored in places. LaVey then declined to provide an original copy of his birth certificate.

"Our initial inquiries weren't as thorough as they should have been," said Charisma News editor Andy Butcher. "In the light of the unanswered questions, we regret having given the story further exposure."

[posted by theoptimist, a LJ member]

Makes me wonder... That was a pretty interesting story indeed. =)

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I personally have some doubts myself considering that Charisma news service later said they wished they didn't publish that article or something like that. I can't remember exactly what the article said. But regardless, it is a good story. If it is true, then praise God! But I'd have to see some more validation before I put much trust in the story.

From what I understand, true Satanic Ritual Abuse or SRA is actually very rare. I found this informative page about Satanic Ritual Abuse for those interested:

Satanic Ritual Abuse

All I know is that I truly hope that this man didn't actually have to go through what he went through. I hope no one ever has to go through that. :prayer:

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Holly3278 said:
From what I understand, true Satanic Ritual Abuse or SRA is actually very rare.

It would probably be more accurate to say it either doesn't exist, or that we haven't found any legitimate cases of SRA.

dolphindancer, You picked a good thread to bump. It's very interesting how unskeptical people in the earlier posts of the thread were. This "Jess Levay" guy reminds me of Bill Schoeblin who claimed he was a 34th degree Mason, master witch and high muckity muck in the Church of Satan. Apparently certain evangelical churches, especially those that embrace the end times a little to tightly love these sorts of charlatans making presentations.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Invader Pichu said:
If you go to the church of satan's website it'll say that it's one of their laws that you cannot harm little children. And yes, ritual child abuse and sacrifice HAVE been part of Pagan practices, but that was many years ago. Christians, as well, have done some pretty cruel things in the past.
Yeah, ancient Pagans did participate in a number of practices that we would consider barbaric. Most modern Pagans are very peaceful people though. In fact, I don't know of any modern Pagan group that advocates the barbaric practices of the ancient Pagans.

Upvote 0

Melody21

Oct 15, 2003
✟136.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There is a follow up article from Charisma at www charismamag.com/articledisplay.pl?ArticleID=6348

Here's another article about the alleged "LaVey" from www cornerstonemag.com/features/iss123/randomp.htm#fake

Fake LaVey?
by John Morehead

YUCAIPA,California —On April 29 Charisma News reported that Anthony Jess LaVey,son of Anton LaVey, the late founder of the Church of Satan,had converted to Christianity after a lifetime of physical and psychological abuse by his father,and was now preaching the gospel and warning Christians about the dangers of Satanism and the occult.

As a result of his conversion story,Anthony LaVey has been a frequent guest speaker on Christian radio programs and at churches.The major problem with this story is that Anton LaVey had no son named Anthony Jess LaVey. LaVey fathered three children, two daughters named Karla and Zeena, and one son named Xerxes. This fact has not stopped a number of individuals from making fraudulent claims to be LaVey offspring in order to gain the support of Christians and churches for themselves and their ministries.

When contacted and asked for documentation to support his claims, Jess "LaVey" responded that he was unable to provide evidence due to satanic conspiracies against him. He then threatened litigation for those who disputed his claims. In addition to a lack of supporting evidence, counterevidence is available. As noted above, biographical data supports the existence of only three authentic LaVey children, and Jess "LaVey's" alleged satanic experiences perpetuate debunked Satanic Ritual Abuse stories and all-too-common evangelical misrepresentations of the diverse beliefs of Satanists. To make matters worse, EP News Service picked up the story on May 9 and circulated it as legitimate.

Unfortunately, evangelical gullibility and misrepresentation are commonplace in the areas of Satanism, Wicca, and Paganism. •

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Melody21 said:
There is a follow up article from Charisma at www charismamag.com/articledisplay.pl?ArticleID=6348

Here's another article about the alleged "LaVey" from www cornerstonemag.com/features/iss123/randomp.htm#fake

Fake LaVey?
by John Morehead

YUCAIPA,California —On April 29 Charisma News reported that Anthony Jess LaVey,son of Anton LaVey, the late founder of the Church of Satan,had converted to Christianity after a lifetime of physical and psychological abuse by his father,and was now preaching the gospel and warning Christians about the dangers of Satanism and the occult.

As a result of his conversion story,Anthony LaVey has been a frequent guest speaker on Christian radio programs and at churches.The major problem with this story is that Anton LaVey had no son named Anthony Jess LaVey. LaVey fathered three children, two daughters named Karla and Zeena, and one son named Xerxes. This fact has not stopped a number of individuals from making fraudulent claims to be LaVey offspring in order to gain the support of Christians and churches for themselves and their ministries.

When contacted and asked for documentation to support his claims, Jess "LaVey" responded that he was unable to provide evidence due to satanic conspiracies against him. He then threatened litigation for those who disputed his claims. In addition to a lack of supporting evidence, counterevidence is available. As noted above, biographical data supports the existence of only three authentic LaVey children, and Jess "LaVey's" alleged satanic experiences perpetuate debunked Satanic Ritual Abuse stories and all-too-common evangelical misrepresentations of the diverse beliefs of Satanists. To make matters worse, EP News Service picked up the story on May 9 and circulated it as legitimate.

Unfortunately, evangelical gullibility and misrepresentation are commonplace in the areas of Satanism, Wicca, and Paganism. •
Well, I think we Christians should realize that false witnesses to things like this such as this Jess "LaVey" guy only serve to make people trust Christians even less. It is sad but true. I do not support ministries that use lies to advance their cause. I am not saying that this Jess "LaVey" story is false but I do have serious doubts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SuzQ

I'm.....Wonder Woman
Apr 8, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
✟11,417.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Holly3278 said:
Yeah, ancient Pagans did participate in a number of practices that we would consider barbaric. Most modern Pagans are very peaceful people though. In fact, I don't know of any modern Pagan group that advocates the barbaric practices of the ancient Pagans.

This is true, but is actually even MORE dangerous than someone who's an outright confessed satan worshipper, such as LaVey, Aleister Crowley, Marilyn Manson, etc. They're generally NOT the problem to those who have not yet accepted Christ - it's these more "peaceful" people you speak of. You don't have to look scary or be "barbaric" to do catastrophic damage to others by leading them away from the light of Christ & the path to God. Plain & simple.

My sister has a good friend who is a former wiccan & is now a believer in Christ, thank the Lord! :) Most wiccans ARE truly nice people just trying to find direction, love & acceptance, but she soon started dabbling in "occult" activities with her fellow wiccans - such as casting spells, tarot card reading, etc, and other seemingly "harmless" activities. They are NOT "harmless" & she can attest to this now by telling others they are activities against GOD.

We also recently had a 400-person gathering in Madison, WI of "peaceful pagans", some that came from a "temple of Diana" in Dane County??? It saddened me a great deal that it got "positive" news coverage in our SUNDAY paper with a picture & story. I know I can do nothing but pray for those people's souls. False gods, false idols, a religion of "peace" led by great "deceivers" - these are all things warned about very CLEARLY in the Bible.

We as Christians are to love, reach out, & pray for these people, but at the same time be careful not to encourage any type of blasphemy.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SuzQ said:
This is true, but is actually even MORE dangerous than someone who's an outright confessed satan worshipper, such as LaVey, Aleister Crowley, Marilyn Manson, etc. They're generally NOT the problem to those who have not yet accepted Christ - it's these more "peaceful" people you speak of. You don't have to look scary or be "barbaric" to do catastrophic damage to others by leading them away from the light of Christ & the path to God. Plain & simple.

My sister has a good friend who is a former wiccan & is now a believer in Christ, thank the Lord! :) Most wiccans ARE truly nice people just trying to find direction, love & acceptance, but she soon started dabbling in "occult" activities with her fellow wiccans - such as casting spells, tarot card reading, etc, and other seemingly "harmless" activities. They are NOT "harmless" & she can attest to this now by telling others they are activities against GOD.

We also recently had a 400-person gathering in Madison, WI of "peaceful pagans", some that came from a "temple of Diana" in Dane County??? It saddened me a great deal that it got "positive" news coverage in our SUNDAY paper with a picture & story. I know I can do nothing but pray for those people's souls. False gods, false idols, a religion of "peace" led by great "deceivers" - these are all things warned about very CLEARLY in the Bible.

We as Christians are to love, reach out, & pray for these people, but at the same time be careful not to encourage any type of blasphemy.
I agree SuzQ. I've never been much of an evangelizer but I believe we should respect these religions while we at the same time reach out to them in love. This does not give us the right to blatantly offensive to them in my opinion. It is my opinion that we should reach out to them as Christ would have done, in love. Remember, even Christ sat and dined with sinners!

Upvote 0

SuzQ

I'm.....Wonder Woman
Apr 8, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
✟11,417.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Holly3278 said:
I agree SuzQ. I've never been much of an evangelizer but I believe we should respect these religions while we at the same time reach out to them in love. This does not give us the right to blatantly offensive to them in my opinion. It is my opinion that we should reach out to them as Christ would have done, in love. Remember, even Christ sat and dined with sinners!

:amen: Just ask former prostitute Mary Magdalene. ;) You don't have to be much of an "evangelizer" to reach out to someone you know is not saved. Although I can get "feisty" for Christ on these message boards, I am truly respectful of those non-Christians I encounter in "real life".

About a year ago, I had a conversation with an agnostic I know & love. He knew I was a devout Christian. He respects that, but told me he just didn't feel a "need" for Jesus in his life & that he prays to a God when he has a "real" problem, but otherwise doesn't want to "bother" God. I didn't "preach", but instead just asked him a lot of questions to find out more & was very respectful of his feelings. He told me a few months ago that he decided to start asking questions of some Christian men in a chat room & was finding out more information for himself! :D Another "non-religious" friend of mine recently asked to borrow my "Passion of the Christ" DVD???

We just have to pray that God uses us in some positive way & trust Him (even when we want to shout out, "How can you not love someone like Christ???!! Lol!). You're right, we cannot be people who point a finger at non-Christians & condemn them. You also cannot "deceive" people to Christ, if the person in the OP story really turns out to be a fake. That would be sad.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SuzQ said:
:amen: Just ask former prostitute Mary Magdalene. ;) You don't have to be much of an "evangelizer" to reach out to someone you know is not saved. Although I can get "feisty" for Christ on these message boards, I am truly respectful of those non-Christians I encounter in "real life".

About a year ago, I had a conversation with an agnostic I know & love. He knew I was a devout Christian. He respects that, but told me he just didn't feel a "need" for Jesus in his life & that he prays to a God when he has a "real" problem, but otherwise doesn't want to "bother" God. I didn't "preach", but instead just asked him a lot of questions to find out more & was very respectful of his feelings. He told me a few months ago that he decided to start asking questions of some Christian men in a chat room & was finding out more information for himself! :D Another "non-religious" friend of mine recently asked to borrow my "Passion of the Christ" DVD???

We just have to pray that God uses us in some positive way & trust Him (even when we want to shout out, "How can you not love someone like Christ???!! Lol!). You're right, we cannot be people who point a finger at non-Christians & condemn them. You also cannot "deceive" people to Christ, if the person in the OP story really turns out to be a fake. That would be sad.
Honestly, I think we just need to be respectful to people of different religions. If they're open to witnessing them then witness to them if that is what you feel called to do. But be sure you do it in love! If you do it in a hateful or bigoted way, you'll only turn them off to the Gospel. Also, a lot of Pagans are former Christians. I used to be a Pagan myself and believe me, most of them do not like to be proselytized. Or at least that's the way most of the Pagans were that I knew. We can always show them the love of Christ through our lifestyle. Remember, we plant the seed and God waters it.

Upvote 0