Somehow I don't think he gets it

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
So the narrative -- and the supposed reasons for impeachment -- change by the day.
Give that Trump's stories change by the minute, the rest of the world has long since given up trying to hold him accountable!

EXAMPLE: Yesterday this President said he withheld the $250 million from the Ukraine because there was too much corruption - today's excuse was that it was withheld because European countries weren't contributing their fair share!

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
The only thing that's constant about this non-event (the president speaking with another head of state --imagine that!) is that the people who have been trying for years to find some reason for impeachment are still at it.
The content of that conversation was enough for a "whistleblower" to register a complaint and for Trump's own Inspector General to confirm that it has merit!

Perhaps "Albion" would care to explain as to why the name of Joe Biden, the Democrats leading presidential candidate for the 2020
Election with polls showing that he would easily beat Trump, came up in the conversation with the Ukrainian Prime Minister multiple times?

If this President has evidence that Biden and his son committed a felony, why didn't he arrange to have it investigated by the FBI instead of relying on the Ukrainians that he's criticized publically as being "corrupt!"

If Trump had bothered to read the Mueller Report he would have known that any attempt to solicit the support of a foreign power to influence the outcome of an American election is a federal offence!

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi jgarden,

You wrote:
If Trump had bothered to read the Mueller Report he would have known that any attempt to solicit the support of a foreign power to influence the outcome of an American election is a federal offence!

That's crime #2! So, President Trump has broken the laws of the United States by not allowing the whistleblower complaint to be handled in the manner prescribed by our laws and he has made an attempt, again, to get a foreign government to meddle in issues that are intended to discredit, and thereby affect, our election process. Both of those are laws of the United States for which he held up his hand and swore that he would enforce and uphold.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Did the right ever get over Watergate after defending Nixon so vehemently?
Well, the fact is that "the right" (undefined in your comment) did NOT defend Nixon so vehemently. It took prominent Republicans and a good number of them to bring Nixon down. And he was at a very low point at that time in the popularity polls--exactly the opposite of Trump's standing.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Give that Trump's stories change by the minute, the rest of the world has long since given up trying to hold him accountable!
But whether or not that is true to say, it is not incumbent upon HIM to have a genuine, Constitutional reason for any impeachment proceedings. With the Democrats in Congress, it's different.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, the fact is that "the right" (undefined in your comment) did NOT defend Nixon so vehemently. It took prominent Republicans and a good number of them to bring Nixon down. And he was at a very low point at that time in the popularity polls--exactly the opposite of Trump's standing.

Hi albion,

LOLOLOLOLOL! You've really got to stop taking those mind altering products. Don't be foolish. It will take some prominent Republicans, and a good number of them to bring President Trump down also. President Trump has pretty much regularly been low in popularity polls and these impeachment proceedings, much like with President Nixon, may likely be the harbinger of even lower poll numbers, as President Nixon also got as his impeachment proceedings progressed.

Despite subsequent historical judgment that holds a strongly negative view of Richard Nixon and his presidency, Nixon’s first years in office saw strong public approval ratings. Well over half of those polled through 1969 and 1970 approved of Nixon’s performance as president.

Nixon's approval rating didn't begin to tank until it was a pretty sure thing that his presidency was over. At the time he left he had a 24% approval rating. If President Trump is impeached, then we'll be able to compare whose approval ratings were lower on the day that they left office. Just prior to President Nixon's problems, he actually enjoyed approval ratings in the 60% range. Something that President Trump can only dream about.

Nixon's Presidential Approval Ratings

It wasn't until mid 73 that Nixon's approval rating began to tank. By that time, Watergate was a daily news story. He actually had enjoyed an almost 70% rating just 4 months earlier.

So, I'm not really so sure that if one were to actually look at all of the evidence, that a case could be made that President Nixon's approval ratings were more dismal than President Trump's. But that's ok. You are free to believe what you have convinced yourself is the truth despite the facts.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi again albion,

You also wrote:
But whether or not that is true to say, it is not incumbent upon HIM to have a genuine, Constitutional reason for any impeachment proceedings. With the Democrats in Congress, it's different.

I'm not exactly clear on what it is that you're saying here. "But whether or not that is true to say,...

That was actually the very thing that ran Gen. Kelly off. He saw that it was an impossible task to hold President Trump to any kind of accountability. One of his very long friends, the Mooch, has also now made the claim that there is no holding accountable President Trump. His own personal butler is on record that President Trump does not feel the need to be accountable to the truth. Declaring to his butler when questioned about the veracity of a story he was telling people visiting Mar-a-Lago, "Who cares?" The truth does not matter to Donald Trump unless it supports his understanding. If the truth does not support his understanding, then it just simply is not the truth. He knows in his gut what the truth of important matters is. His gut!

However, besides all of that gibberish, I'm not sure I understand what 'it is not incumbent upon HIM to have a genuine, Constitutional reason for any impeachment proceedings', has to do with the comment that 'the rest of the world has since given up trying to hold him accountable'.

I don't see why one would read the statement made by jgarden and think that it had anything to do with whether or not it was incumbent upon the accused to have some genuine constitutional reason for impeachment. Maybe someone else could explain it to me if you'd rather not.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I guess the topic is moot now.

Hi timothyu,

Maybe, maybe not. President Trump has made a lot of promises and a lot of threats that he hasn't followed through with. While he says he's going to release the unredacted transcript of a single call, the report, as I understand it, was about several contacts. So, it's possible that this particular call doesn't have much evidence of malfeasance, if there is any. Then again it could.

He has also said that he's going to instruct those who have the actual report to turn it over to Congress. We'll see. Personally, I don't put any credence in anything that President Trump says he will do, until he has actually done what he said he'd do. I remember him going to the middle east early in his presidency and crowing about how he'd single handedly gotten contracts for billions of dollars in sales of goods. To date, I don't think there's been any particularly large sale that wasn't already on the table before he was even elected.

He likes to boast and he likes to swagger and he absolutely loves to play the game. So, when the people in Congress actually have free access to all of the report, then I'll agree that he's done what he said he would do. It just seems awfully odd to me that not three days ago, his attorney, Giuliani and his people in the DOJ were making a lot of noise about how they weren't going to turn over the report. Now, Rep. Pelosi has opened up an impeachment inquiry and the story has changed. We'll see.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,760.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And reflecting what many said in the beginning over 2 years ago about Mr Trump and his business dealings and associates... the dealing with the Ukraine is being called a 'mafia shakedown' in reference to the style Mr Trump has long used and been associated with. Power is as power does.

Upvote 0