Some U.S. Seminaries Report Surge in Enrollments Even as Nationwide Numbers Remain Flat...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seminarian enrollment in the United States has been on a decadeslong decline as fewer young men seek out the priesthood and the number of active priests in the U.S. continues to dwindle. But some dioceses are reporting a notable surge in enrollment, signaling a potential turnaround in some regions.

Annual data from the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate at Georgetown University, released in June of this year,showed “a continuation of relatively slow long-term decline” in priestly vocations at the pre-theology and theology levels, falling from over 6,400 men in 1970 to 2,759 in the most recent academic year.

Similar sharp drops have been observed in both college- and high school-level seminarian enrollment over the same time period. In recent years the decline in priests and seminarians has been observed globally as well.

Yet some seminary and diocesan officials told CNA that the number of seminarians they have in training for the priesthood has increased in recent years.

Continued below.

• Friendly
Reactions: WarriorAngel

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, this is definitely some good news. We need more priests. That said, my 8-year-old son has expressed an interest in becoming a priest when he is older. He's expressed this interest to me a couple of different times. I think it would be truly awesome if he has a vocation to the priesthood. Nothing would make me more proud of him than to see him become an ordained Catholic priest. He will be receiving His first Reconciliation and first Holy Communion in the Spring of 2024. Please keep him in your prayers. His name is Colton.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, this is definitely some good news. We need more priests. That said, my 8-year-old son has expressed an interest in becoming a priest when he is older. He's expressed this interest to me a couple of different times. I think it would be truly awesome if he has a vocation to the priesthood. Nothing would make me more proud of him than to see him become an ordained Catholic priest. He will be receiving His first Reconciliation and first Holy Communion in the Spring of 2024. Please keep him in your prayers. His name is Colton.
Aw! Very nice. Praying for Colton. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Ave Maria
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
God bless Colton abundantly. Prayers

• Friendly
Reactions: Ave Maria
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums