Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
- Essentially, the Old Testament shows the beginnings and history of God's dealings with mankind, and it points forward to His "great salvation" in His beloved Son.

- It is important to be “rightly dividing the Word of Truth” as God says, and there is a tendency of some to misapply verses and “scramble” scripture.

- There is a danger of new Christians to minimize the Word that God has ministered to us, and then listen to popular and charismatic men, who also do not engage in comparative studies and value sound Bible scholars down through history.

- We need to see that the OT is the foundation for the NT, and the church is given in the NT as a new dispensation of God for a bride for Christ, rather than the religion given for Israel.

- Faithful believers in Christ are the “children of God”, who highly esteem sound renderings of His Word. The Old Testament saints were both the earliest saints ---Noah, Abraham, Isaac, etc.; and the latter saints –Israel, Moses, etc. The New Testament is about the Redeemer ---the Lord Jesus Christ; and His Apostles, the church ---His bride; and the future. – [from Understanding The Bible]

Last edited:
Reactions: SoldierOfSoul

Buzzy

Saved by Grace
Aug 1, 2011
Oklahoma USA
✟7,981.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OK, I can find very little to disagree with on that. I want to defend the OT but it was a stumbling block for me for many years, up to the point where the Holy Spirit showed me Christ in every part of it. Honestly I would have been better to have left the OT alone until that time.

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I too want to defend the OT, but at the same time I also defend Y'shua (Jesus) as Messiah, Redeemer, and Savior. The great thing is that there is no contradiction between Y'shua and the OT. Y'shua didn't come to destroy the Law and Prophets (Tenakk), but to fulfill it. Now how would this sound "Jesus didn't come to destroy the Law, just to destroy the Law". It wouldn't make sense, would it? But yet this is what many teach. Without Jesus, we would never be able to obey God and we'd be under penalty of the law for we all have sinned. But with Y'shua, we can obey God and know that there is grace when we have fallen short.

Upvote 0

Buzzy

Saved by Grace
Aug 1, 2011
Oklahoma USA
✟7,981.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I too want to defend the OT, but at the same time I also defend Y'shua (Jesus) as Messiah, Redeemer, and Savior. The great thing is that there is no contradiction between Y'shua and the OT. Y'shua didn't come to destroy the Law and Prophets (Tenakk), but to fulfill it. Now how would this sound "Jesus didn't come to destroy the Law, just to destroy the Law". It wouldn't make sense, would it? But yet this is what many teach. Without Jesus, we would never be able to obey God and we'd be under penalty of the law for we all have sinned. But with Y'shua, we can obey God and know that there is grace when we have fallen short.

Amen and well said.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK, I can find very little to disagree with on that. I want to defend the OT but it was a stumbling block for me for many years, up to the point where the Holy Spirit showed me Christ in every part of it. Honestly I would have been better to have left the OT alone until that time.

Yes, that is quite true, Buzzy. I often tell serious seekers to begin reading the Gospel by John, then Romans, then Acts, before going to the OT. One needs to be saved for eternity and in the church, not in the Israelite religion.

Don't get me wrong, for the history and beginning of God's dealing with mankind is important, but that is something after one becomes a child of God. Until one is saved ("born again") they will likely not make much sense of Genesis. Look up always!

- 1 Watchman

Upvote 0
S

SOLICHRISTOS

I believe it's always good to read both. Start with a Gospel and with Genesis and read a little of both.

This way you're getting to see Christ throughout the whole of Scripture. I believe that we always get a richer understanding of who Jesus is and God's redemptive plan for our salvation through the lens of the OT and we see all of the prophecy fulfilled which is pretty amazing. :)

Dave

Upvote 0