✟83,723.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 16:

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
Why was Jeremiah mentioned here at all? Is there OT justification for connecting the Son of Man with Jeremiah?

2 Esdras 2:

18 I will send my servants Jeremiah, Isaiah, and Daniel to help you. It was on their advice that I have made you holy. I will prepare twelve trees with various kinds of fruit for you.
Pulpit explained:

Some opined that he was Jeremiah, who was expected to come as a precursor of Messiah (2 Esdras 2:18), and reveal the tabernacle, ark, and the altar of incense, which, according to the legend of 2 Macc. 2:4-7, he had hidden in Mount Nebo, "until the time that God gather his people again together, and receive them unto mercy."
On the other hand, Mark 6:

15 Others were saying, "He is Elijah," and still others, "He is a prophet, like one of the prophets of old."
Luke 9:

8 others that Elijah had appeared, and still others that a prophet of old had arisen.
Neither Mark nor Luke mentioned "Jeremiah" in their parallel accounts.

Dan2255

Nov 1, 2023
Toledo
✟11,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 17 tells us who John was.
12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them. 13 Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,723.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 17 tells us who John was.
12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them. 13 Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.
Is there OT justification for connecting the Son of Man with Jeremiah?

Upvote 0