Aug 27, 2004
✟17,949.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Up till last night I had no direction on anything other than I knew I was gonna be a preacher and singer. But I still felt that I needed to find a career besides that and I didnt study up on college last year like everyone else did so Im kind of lost.

I know that I want to be the kind of doctor that does like Botox injections and stuff..what do you call those? lol

And with everything in college..do you have to take basics like math and english and stuff??

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Dermatologist? Cosmetic surgeon?

Anyway, if you're going into ANY area of medicine (even veterinary medicine) your courses as an undergrad will be basically the same as all the other pre-med students. Some schools have an actual pre-med major. Others, like mine, simply tell biology and chemistry students interested in medicine to pick up additional classes that med schools require (chemists take a biology lab, everyone takes an additional physics lab, etc.)

As for general education requirements...Yes, your freshman year, you'll be taking a lot of things irrelevant to your major. Here, all science majors have to take two semesters of calculus and one semester each of English, history, economics, and programming. (Plus a few more looser requirements.) That might seem overwhelming, but since you get to spread it out over four years it;s not too bad.

Upvote 0

sc4s2cg

'Cause human tears are older than the rain.
Nov 28, 2004
Somewhere on Earth.
Visit site
✟20,163.00
Faith
Presbyterian
If it helps, here's my pre-Nursing schedule at a University in the Northeastern area of the US. :)

Everything but Psychology was required, I took Psychology to fulfill an LER requirement. From what I gather, LER's are courses that are not required by the major you're in but have to take to round out your view. No English or Math so far, I was suprised, but this schedule is for only the first semester. We will have to make a new one with our counselor sometime in September, within the first few weeks of starting college.

G-d bless,
sc

Upvote 0
P

Purity_over_Passion

in my personal humble opinion pursueing a life of being a preacher/singer and being in the medical field is a larger task than i think you realize. both of those are full-time plus several hours on top of that jobs.

two questions..
why do you feel you have to have a back up plan?
and why do you want a job that promotes the very materialism that is bringing out country down?

Upvote 0

apumic

Feb 27, 2006
✟15,310.00
Faith
Christian
I'm going to have to side with Purity on this one.
If God is calling you to music and ministry, then picking up medicine is probably (note that probably) not in His plan for you (unless He specifically said you should pick up a "backup" plan in case He fails you somewhere along the way...but that doesn't really sound like God now, does it?!)

I normally wouldn't push anyone toward pursuing music or ministry (they make no sense financially) but if God is leading you there, then you need to go there with all that you are and not get hung up on the monetary gains of becoming a physician -- oh, and did I mention that you won't be actually working as a fulltime physician until you're in your early to mid 30s? (And another $200k in debt)

Just something to chew on! Commit yourself wholly to one thing or the other, but riding fences won't do you any good!

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
I'm in Humanities, so I'm in a completely different field, but I don't take math or anything like that. I have pretty much free-reign besides whats required of my program.

Have you though about maybe volunteering or doing an internship before or while your in school? Even something like a hospital could give you an idea of what the medical field is actually like, even if you're not in the exact department that you hope to pursue a career in. Or get a part time job at an estheticians office as a receptionist/cashier. Even if you're not doing botox injections right away, observing can be a great tool as well.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with plastic surgery. So, if thats what you feel you want to do, go for it!

Upvote 0

Greyshade89

Senior Veteran
Aug 27, 2004
✟17,949.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
in my personal humble opinion pursueing a life of being a preacher/singer and being in the medical field is a larger task than i think you realize. both of those are full-time plus several hours on top of that jobs.

two questions..
and why do you want a job that promotes the very materialism that is bringing out country down?

i am a preacher and a singer in ministry as it is and i still have enough time to go to college and have a career. i am in ministry right now with those who have a career and have ministry. and for me to take a step and say "im gonna be a dermatologist and go to college" is a big thing. cause thats something that only God could have placed on my heart..cause i never desired that in life until now.

and IF its Gods will for me to do this..He will enable me to do so and if not..He has never failed to tell me i was or wasnt suppose to do something. So i have trust in Him at this point lol.

Upvote 0

Airicon

Jul 24, 2007
NY
✟8,034.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
two questions..
What are you new? There are a million people who want to be musicians, so you might want to have a backup plan just in case your album doesn't quite go double diamond.

I'd love to hear why being a doctor is a bad job.

Whisper, I applaud you for planning ahead. A "doctor that does like Botox injections and stuff" would be called a plastic surgeon. To become a doctor you need 1) an undergraduate degree, 2) a set of required courses to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), and 3) a good MCAT score :)

If that seems like its too much you can try nursing, physical therapy, a physicians assistant, athletic trainer, nutritionist, dermatologist etc. also.

Check out http://www.bestpremed.com/preMDreq.php for the requirements.

Upvote 0

Greyshade89

Senior Veteran
Aug 27, 2004
✟17,949.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
well i thank you very much airicon! you've been most informative! thats what i was wanting to know about cause im so new to college stuff i just dont really know what im doing. i plan on tryin my hardest to do this and make it ALL the way through. My mom doesnt have much faith in me but Im gonna walk into college with a favored mentality. That God is gonna bless me if I continue to seek Him and walk in His will.

Thanks a whole bunch!!

Upvote 0
P

Purity_over_Passion

this dude just went off and got all offensive like he thinks this girl is cute or something. first problem with this site.. ANYTIME a person doesn't 100% agree with thier subjective opinion they act like there was a personal offence.. and secone i never said that having a back up plan and planning for the future is wrong.. God most def rewards those who plan ahead.. but you have to be wise too..
Wisper... If God has called you to be a Musician, then run with it.. God will bless you for being faithful. He will not let you starve, or be homeless or any of that other stuff if you are doing what he has truely called you to do.. and i don't think you are for certian yet right? ok well then yes by all means go to school for pre Med if you feel that is what you should do.. but just don't be suprised if God changes how all that looks for you.. remember the bible says we choose our destination and God choses our steps

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums