✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We’re not saved yet … for salvation is a process
“with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12).

Warnings about losing eternal life
••• Mark 9:43 “If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell,
into the fire that shall never be quenched”
••• Luke 9:23-25 “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily,
and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it (eternal life), but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost (eternally)?”
••• John 12:25 “He who loves his life will lose it (eternal life), and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.”

Also see Matthew 16:25-26 and Mark 8:35-37

Warnings about gaining eternal death
••• Romans 6:16-23 “… you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether (slaves) of sin leading to (eternal) death, or (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness … For when you were slaves of sin … the end of those things is (eternal) death.
… For the wages of sin is (eternal) death …”
••• Romans 8:13-14
“For if you live according to the flesh you will die (spiritually); but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live (eternal life). For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.”
••• Galatians 6:7-8 “Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption (eternal death), but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.”
••• 1 Timothy 6:9-10
“But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into may foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil … Let them (rich Christians) do good, that they may be rich in good works … that they may lay hold on eternal life.”
••• Hebrews 10:36-39 “ ‘Now the just shall live by faith; but IF anyone draws back, My soul has no pleasure in him.’ But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.”
••• James 1:12-16 “Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of (eternal) life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him … But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin,
when it is full-grown, brings forth (eternal) death.
Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.”
••• Revelation 2:11 “He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.

Who is an overcomer? >> “To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.” (Revelation 3:21)
••• Revelation 21:7-8 “He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he will be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Jesus is talking about anyone who is a habitual (unrepentant) sinner!

Warnings about being shut out of heaven
Mark 9:47 with Matthew 25:34-46 prove
the kingdom of God is analogous to heaven.

••• 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 “Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators,
nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,
nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous,
nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners
will inherit the kingdom of God.”

Galatians 5:19-21 and Ephesians 5:3-6 are other
“sin lists” about keeping people out of heaven.

Warnings being shut out of the New Jerusalem
••• Revelation 22:14-15 “Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through
the gates of the city. But outside are the dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.”

Warnings in 3 of the many conditional “IF” verses
••• 1 Corinthians 15:1-2 “Moreover, brethren,
I declare to you the gospel … by which you are saved, IF you hold fast that word which I preached to you - unless you believed in vain.”
••• 2 Corinthians 13:5 “Examine yourself to see
IF you are in the faith unless you are disqualified.”
••• Hebrews 3:14 “For we have become partakers of Christ, IF we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end.”

Also see Hebrews 10:39 above.

Last edited:

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Those who belong to Jesus were drawn to Him
by Father God (John 6:44).
But, if they fail to remain in Jesus and produce fruit,
they will be destroyed!

••• John 15:1-10 “I am the true grapevine, and My Father is the gardener. He (Father God) cuts off every branch of Mine (Jesus) that doesn’t produce fruit … Remain in Me, and I will remain in you. … Anyone who does not remain in Me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. … Remain in My love. When you obey My commandments, you remain in My love, just as I obey My Father’s commandments and remain in His love.”

4 times in John 14, Jesus says, “Those who love Me will obey My commandments.”

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know I have eternal life if I live a holy life. But without a holy life, I don't know I'm saved. And the warning verses help prod me in the right direction to where I can sing "blessed assurance" with some soul behind it.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus "when He suffered, did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously" (in 1 Peter 2:23).

So, I see how God's word with warnings is not a threat. And Isaiah 55:11 guarantees that God's word "shall" do all which God means by His word. And His word is not intended to have His children fail and to go hell. Hebrews 12:4-11 shows how God's correction in us is guaranteed to succeed.

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Didn't we already have this discussion? None of the verses you post talk about losing salvation. You're reading into them what they don't say.

Take for example
••• Luke 9:23-25 “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it (eternal life), but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost (eternally)?”

You're translating "life" to refer to eternal life. OK let's try that out:

For whoever wants to save his eternal life will lose his eternal life, but whoever loses his eternal life for me will save his eternal life.

Really? That really makes sense to you? The more you post those kind of things the more you lose credibility when it comes to interpreting scripture.

As I've said many times, of which I'm sure you're aware, No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother.

If a person has been born of God such a person has lost the ability to continue to sin. And this is so inevitable, so true, that you can distinguish children of God from children of the devil based upon their characteristic behavior.

Thus the kind of verses you list as allegedly speak of losing salvation are simply verses which diagnose whether a person has been born of God. They're are not talking about losing one's salvation status.

Your argument is basically, since wicked people go to hell, that fact disproves Eternal Security. It simply doesn't.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So, I see how God's word with warnings is not a threat. And Isaiah 55:11 guarantees that God's word "shall" do all which God means by His word. And His word is not intended to have His children fail and to go hell. Hebrews 12:4-11 shows how God's correction in us is guaranteed to succeed.
So, God's warnings are meant to discipline us
when we fail while trying to "run with endurance
the race God has set before us" (12:1)
???

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
So, the verses in the OP are lies!
Great ... thanks!

No. Your applying them to the work-salvation lie doesn't make them lies at all. It just makes you wrong for twisting scripture to promote a false gospel.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, God's warnings are meant to discipline us
when we fail while trying to "run with endurance the race God has set before us" (12:1)?
This is what I understand. If I read something which says I could lost out, I take this as a warning to trust God to give me real correction so I don't. And I understand His real correction will make sure I don't.

The correction changes us so we do not keep on failing. So, in case I do fail, I am concerned about this, but not feeling threatened. But I trust God to be the Good Judge who decides what He wants to do with me.

And His correction is not only defensive to keep me from going to Hell. But He corrects us to become His way in His love > 1 John 4:17-18, more and more how Jesus is > Galatians 4:19.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
For whoever wants to save his eternal life will lose his eternal life, but whoever loses his eternal life for me will save his eternal life.
For whoever wants to save his life will lose his eternal life, but whoever loses his eternal life for me will save his life.

"Life" in red refers to his soul,
his soulish life in this world,
i.e. the pleasures of life, etc.
One's soul is that which goes into eternity.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If I read something which says I could lost out, I take this as a warning to trust God to give me real correction so I don't. And I understand His real correction will make sure I don't.
Yes, of course, God's dire warnings are meant
to keep BACs on the straight and narrow!

And God's dire warnings also tell what happens
to BACs who fail to heed the warnings!

So, let's call them God's dual-purpose dire warnings.

However, it is necessary for BACs to actually see
God's dual-purpose dire warnings in the NT.

And, of course, it is necessary for BACs to actually
act on (heed) God's dual-purpose dire warnings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For whoever wants to save his life will lose his eternal life, but whoever loses his eternal life for me will save his life.

Life in red refers to his soul.
One's soul is that which goes into eternity.
Jesus says,

"'Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.'" (Luke 17:33)

This comes right after Jesus says we need to deny ourselves and take up our cross daily and follow Jesus. So, in this context, my opinion, Jesus means that if a person wants to keep on living his or her selfish life, then this person will lose that life.

This loss of life can be in different ways. Eventually the person is going to die, in any case. Also, I think we all have discovered to some extent how we can mess up our own lives while we live selfishly. Also, "God resists the proud", we have in James 4:6 and also in 1 Peter 5:5 > God in His all control can work things to mess with how we live in our own egos.

And in Satan's kingdom things are going to go badly, and it will not be fair. People can suffer major tragedies, even, and losses which are much more and worse than their sinning deserves; but this is because they are operating in Satan's kingdom where things are not fair.

But if we are with God, yes things can be hard, but with God we can be creative with Him to use any trouble for His loving :) By denying self, we are voluntarily losing the selfish lives we have been living, and so we find . . . eternal love life . . . now . . . with God :idea:

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, of course, God's dire warnings are meant
to keep BACs on the straight and narrow!

And God's dire warnings also tell what happens
to BACs who fail to heed the warnings!
If a child of God were to fall totally away, this would mean God did not keep that child of God. And when we trust in Jesus we are trusting Him to keep us safe. Saved means safe.

If I can totally get away from God, then I am not safe.

And it would mean I still have the nature making me capable of totally turning away from God. So, this would mean God has not changed my nature so I am truly a child of His love curing my nature.

Hebrews 12:4-11 guarantees how our Heavenly Father corrects us who are His children. This correction keeps us from leaving Him, or else we have not been corrected. Consider verse 8, here, please.

My personal analogy is that you might take one of your children somewhere, and you tell the child, don't go near the edge of the cliff or you could fall off. But when the child tries to go to the edge, you keep a hold on your child's hand so he or she does not fall off.

Or, you have a young dog that you know will run out in the road and get hit by a car; so you tell the doggie, don't go out in the traffic, but also you keep your immature dog on a leash.

If our Father did not keep all of His immature children on a leash . . . how many would stay? And once you are mature, it is no longer your nature to run away from God, because of how Jesus in us has us His way.

So, the only ones who could lose their salvation, I consider, are ones so immature that they would. So, why haven't they? Possibly, all of us would have, if it were not for our Father taking care of us.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus says,
"'Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.'" (Luke 17:33
This comes right after Jesus says we need to deny ourselves and take up our cross daily and follow Jesus. So, in this context, my opinion, Jesus means that if a person wants to keep on living his or her selfish life, then this person will lose that life.
This loss of life can be in different ways.
The problem is with all of the other NT verses
which threaten the loss of eternal life.
Especially, when we consider the hefty weight
of all of the evidence, it is easy to conclude that
salvation is a process which is not determined
until the end of life.

Actually, my best proof of this is ...
try taking the mark of the beast
and see where you end up! ... It ain't pretty!
Revelation 13 and Revelation 14
are far more than dire warnings!

There are many reasons why countless BACs
all over the world will submit to taking
the dreaded mark of the beast.
It signifies allegiance to Satan.
Loss of salvation guaranteed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
No. Your applying them to the work-salvation lie doesn't make them lies at all. It just makes you wrong for twisting scripture to promote a false gospel.

Calvary Chapel does produce a lot of Calvinistic thinking. What you are supporting is Calvinism, not scripture.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Calvary Chapel does produce a lot of Calvinistic thinking. What you are supporting is Calvinism, not scripture.

If by that you mean I support that the work of Christ was sufficient for salvation and that when He said 'It is finished', then that's that He meant, then you would be accurate. Any of you trusting in yourselves to make it, won't be making it.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
If by that you mean I support that the work of Christ was sufficient for salvation and that when He said 'It is finished', then that's that He meant, then you would be accurate. Any of you trusting in yourselves to make it, won't be making it.

That is true. We can't be good enough on our own, but God in us can. That is the whole purpose of the baptism of the Holy Spirit - not just for gifts, but for freedom FROM sin - not freedom TO sin.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
That is true. We can't be good enough on our own, but God in us can. That is the whole purpose of the baptism of the Holy Spirit - not just for gifts, but for freedom FROM sin - not freedom TO sin.

Are you changing the subject now? Who said anything about freedom TO sin?

I'm talking about the claim there are things we have to do, or not do, to keep ourselves saved. I don't know if there's another lie out there sending as many people to hell as that one. Paul was right when he said people teaching a false gospel are cursed. I wouldn't trade places with any works-salvation person on judgment day. Jude talks about the end of such people, and it's horrible.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
IMO, He was saying His work on earth was finished.

Upvote 0