✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone,

I'm engaged in an open Bible study which is solo at the moment. As I read, study, and research, I wonder if I'm practicing sola scriptura and if so, what is everyone's opinion on this?

When I read scripture, I read it in context to the best of my ability. I also intentionally distance myself from my own beliefs, desires, and assumptions, checking the validity of what I perceive in the text. If something doesn't make sense, I check translation, styds words, overall word usage, context, even history if needed. I also check translation variations, seeing if this will aid me. If I'm still confused, I check commentaries, and if I'm still not clear, I pray on the matter, seeking revelation.

During this process, I do consider my intuition. If something feels off, I investigate it. However, I don't dismiss something, just because of feelings. I can be in error but the Bible is not in error, ever.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone,

I'm engaged in an open Bible study which is solo at the moment. As I read, study, and research, I wonder if I'm practicing sola scriptura and if so, what is everyone's opinion on this?

When I read scripture, I read it in context to the best of my ability. I also intentionally distance myself from my own beliefs, desires, and assumptions, checking the validity of what I perceive in the text. If something doesn't make sense, I check translation, styds words, overall word usage, context, even history if needed. I also check translation variations, seeing if this will aid me. If I'm still confused, I check commentaries, and if I'm still not clear, I pray on the matter, seeking revelation.

During this process, I do consider my intuition. If something feels off, I investigate it. However, I don't dismiss something, just because of feelings. I can be in error but the Bible is not in error, ever.

I basically study the same way ... many times also use the strongs for the greek or hebrew meanings of word or phrases, many times adds clarity. I do not consult commentaries as to me, they are someones else's opinions and follow a line of theology one way or another. That is they are bias in areas according to the beliefs of the commentator.

I run many many topical and/or word and word related searches in order to get both OT and NT biblical overview on them.

I understand and accept that I am responsible for what I believe and do diligently seek the truth of His Word through His Word and will continue throughout my life time.

God Bless.

• Friendly
Reactions: Zetetica
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,

Why is the thread title Sola Scriptura?

You explained Bible study techniques.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Zetetica, @redleghunter is correct, what you've described in the OP are your attempts to rightly divide (or exegete) the word of God. This is a great thing to do .. e.g. 2 Timothy 2:15, but exegesis and Sola Scriptura are not the same thing.

Here are couple of short articles about Sola Scriptura that will hopefully prove useful to you.

--David
p.s. - Sola Scriptura is best understood in the context of the other 4 Solas of the Reformation.

Sola Fide
Sola Gratia
Sola Scriptura
Solus Christus
Soli Deo Gloria

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
<EL>I basically study the same way ... many times also use the strongs for the greek or hebrew meanings of word or phrases, many times adds clarity. I do not consult commentaries as to me, they are someones else's opinions and follow a line of theology one way or another. That is they are bias in areas according to the beliefs of the commentator.
I run many many topical and/or word and word related searches in order to get both OT and NT biblical overview on them.
I understand and accept that I am responsible for what I believe and do diligently seek the truth of His Word through His Word and will continue throughout my life time.
God Bless.<EL>
Strong's has been found to have about 15,000 errors or omissions. A better option older editions of Brown, Driver, Briggs [BDB] Hebrew lexicon and Bauer, Arndt, Gingrich, Danker [BAGD] Greek lexicon are available free at the below links. BDB can be downloaded, BAGD can be reviewed online but not DL.
BDB
Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew-English Lexicon to the Old Testament : Francis Brown : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
BAGD
A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, Gingrich & Danker

• Online Bible FAQ
Q:The Online Bible Strongs is not the same as my Exhaustive Strongs Concordance. Why is that?
A: We used the Strong's system but the actual Greek and Hebrew to implement the numbers. By doing this we corrected about 15000 errors in the Strong's concordance.
Frequently Asked Questions - Online Bible Then click “The Online Bible Strongs is not the same as my Exhaustive Strong’s concordance.”

• Rebuilding Strong’s time-honored concordance from the ground up, biblical research experts John Kohlenberger and James Swanson have achieved unprecedented accuracy and clarity. Longstanding errors have been corrected. Omissions filled in. Word studies simplified. Thoroughness and ease of use have been united and maximized.
http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/e...ervan.9780310233435&QueryStringSite=Zondervan

Strongest Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, The: 21st Century Edition

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone,

Gauging your own responses and reflections on what you read with historic commentaries is important, so it's good that you are. Sola Scriptura does not, and has never meant, "Reading the Bible by myself and ignoring everything else", Sola Scriptura as originally understood by the Reformers was always about the unique authority of Scripture as the guiding rule of faith--they assumed and understood that the Scriptures would be read within the context of the living, breathing, community of faith with academically trained exegetes and trained theologians; and thus would be read in keeping with the received historic faith--with an eye to the Creeds, the ancient ecumenical councils, and the writings of the fathers. Those who imagine that they are supposed to read and interpret the Bible for themselves, without the aid of community, without scholars, without academics, without trained theologians and exegetes, without the historic tradition of the Christian Church are not applying the principle of Sola Scriptura, but are instead electing themselves as their own personal Pope.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gauging your own responses and reflections on what you read with historic commentaries is important, so it's good that you are. Sola Scriptura does not, and has never meant, "Reading the Bible by myself and ignoring everything else", Sola Scriptura as originally understood by the Reformers was always about the unique authority of Scripture as the guiding rule of faith--they assumed and understood that the Scriptures would be read within the context of the living, breathing, community of faith with academically trained exegetes and trained theologians; and thus would be read in keeping with the received historic faith--with an eye to the Creeds, the ancient ecumenical councils, and the writings of the fathers. Those who imagine that they are supposed to read and interpret the Bible for themselves, without the aid of community, without scholars, without academics, without trained theologians and exegetes, without the historic tradition of the Christian Church are not applying the principle of Sola Scriptura, but are instead electing themselves as their own personal Pope.

-CryptoLutheran
I think such Bible study is an indication that fewer people, simply trust the experts. We question. For example, how honest are the authorities? Do they have an agenda which might compromise their claims? Furthermore, I don't think any of this skepticism of experts has been helped by the availability of information (internet) or the trend of "fake news". I think people, including myself are just not as trusting of authority figures these days.

Consider the experts of Christ's day? They had many things wrong and because corrupt. They needed correction. Today, time has elapsed and do you think corruption hasn't made its way into every denomination? Every church? Most? To think otherwise is to deny the tendency of man to give into corruption, flights of fancy, and doctrine which tickles the ears. No?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think such Bible study is an indication that fewer people, simply trust the experts. We question. For example, how honest are the authorities? Do they have an agenda which might compromise their claims?

It is never good to trust authority unquestioningly; but when such authority is time-tested and is trustworthy, simply "raging against the machine" isn't helpful. And that latter issue is a big problem we have with ourselves here in the West, we have a very high view of ourselves, a kind of excessive, radical individualism and an implicit disdain and distrust of any kind of authority. It's the same cultural artifact that ends up suggesting that centuries, and even thousands of years, of documented science and observation is all wrong--the earth is not round, but flat; vaccines are bad and cause autism; there is no global warming, etc. It is part of the root symptom of a society that disdains education and information.

Of course we shouldn't turn our brains off and just accept anything we are told because something or someone claims to be authoritative; but the pendulum swing in the other direction is fraught with madness and edges toward solipsistic attitudes. We can trust medical science, we can trust natural science, we can trust the observations, studies, research, and informed perspectives of the very many out of which we can see an educated and informed consensus; the same is true when it comes to our study of Scripture. We've had two thousand years of people reading these texts, and even further back when it comes to books of the Old Testament. Not every individual is going to be right about everything; but when we find a consistent and consensus position showing up time and again, not just from a handful, but from many, who have often been far more educated and are at times much closer to the original source material to begin with--it is probably wise to avail ourselves to those things. Not uncritically, but neither abhoring or scorning them either.

When we make ourselves the final arbiter of doctrine, we aren't putting into practice the principle of Sola Scriptura, but the principle of Sola Me--"Myself Alone".

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,

God bless you brother Sola Scruipura is the way to go. Only God's WORD is true and we should believe and follow it *ROMANS 3:4.

No one can find or understand the truth of God's WORD by trying to understand it through their own efforts outside of God's WORD. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. The wisdom of men is foolishness with God. As the heavens are higher then the earth so are God's ways from our ways. Having correct study technique is important but will only lead you so far.

Under the NEW COVENANT God promises to be our teacher and guide us into all truth. This is conditional on us asking him to be our teacher and continuing in his Word by BELIEVING and FOLLOWING what he teaches us *JOHN 14:26; JOHN 8:31-36. We have to trust and pray that God will teach us His Word and His truth because God's Word tells us in the last days there will be many false teachers (2 Peter 2:1; Matthew 24:24). The only way you can really know the truth of God's Word is that you need to turn away from man and study God's Word for yourself with a humble heart asking Jesus through His Word what His truth is.

Here are some wonderful promises in God's Word that we should prayerfully claim every time we open God's WORD..

John 14:26,
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 7:17,
If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

John 8:31-32,
Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

John 16:13,
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

This is also part of the NEW COVENANT promise in all those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD *HEBREWS 8:11.

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone,

Because you're doing this on your own, the end result is limited by your personal abilities. Indeed, remembering your first (anti-Trinitarian) post on CF, this process has led you in to heresy.

What you describe is not what Sola Scriptura means.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello everyone,

Hmm, let me see, looks good looks good...EXCEPT ONE THING.

Where is all of this that you are doing in Scripture?? ^_^^_^^_^

I kid, moving on.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is never good to trust authority unquestioningly; but when such authority is time-tested and is trustworthy, simply "raging against the machine" isn't helpful.

That's right. When it comes to "what does the Hebrew or Greek mean?", the opinions of those who actually know Hebrew or Greek carry more weight than some random individual.

And that latter issue is a big problem we have with ourselves here in the West, we have a very high view of ourselves, a kind of excessive, radical individualism and an implicit disdain and distrust of any kind of authority. It's the same cultural artifact that ends up suggesting that centuries, and even thousands of years, of documented science and observation is all wrong--the earth is not round, but flat

Actually, the OP is also a flat-earther.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone,

Let me encourage you to continue studying the Bible even if much of what you read doesn't appear to make good sense.

Iv'e heard people say it took them 40 or 50 years to finally understand certain texts or doctrines. Im sure most of us struggle with many doctrines, which seem unfair or cruel or some other thing that we never thought God would do.

Every time I came across a hard scripture, I eventually discovered that there was nothing wrong with the scripture but the problem was with my own perception. I have to remind myself that I'm learning about a Holy and perfect God as a fallen and sinful person.

I used to have a problem with the Bible doctrine of election and reprobation for many years and many other doctrines and Bible passages, like God being a jealous God. I have since learned that the Bible is Gods inerrant Word and it is 100% true and reliable from cover to cover.

We rob ourselves of Gods blessings when we don't exercise faith, God has promised to bless those who believe in Him yet we tend not to trust Him in all things and then we wonder why things get out of control.

I heard a great sermon about faith on Sunday at Church, you could write a book on that one word "faith". We could move mountains if we had enough faith, but most of us struggle to trust God with things like our money.

• Friendly
Reactions: Zetetica
Upvote 0