✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi friends,

I am still fairly new to this forum trying to find my way around. Nice to meet you all. I found this thread interesting. I agree there does seem to be much hypocrisy between Catholicism (RCC) and Protestantism. One is the mother of the other yet today it seems the daughters are no different to their mother in that very few people turn to the scriptures alone to seek God for themselves but instead rely on the teachings and traditions of men over the Word of God and as someone has rightly pointed out what is the difference the mother and daughters are the same in this respect...

Before I went to any Church, I started off seeking to find God just reading His Word at home. At various times I came across different scriptures that seemed to say that in the last days there was going to be many false teachers and false Christ that would deceive if possible God's very elect (Matthew 24:24). I believed God showed me at the time saw this was referring to false teachings withing Christianity. Then I looked out on the world and could see so many Christian religions (500+ Christian faiths) all professing that they were the chosen of God........

I thought to myself, how am I ever going to find which one is God's Church? So I prayed and asked God and searched his Word. I believe God answered my prayers as I claimed his promises in His Word (John 14:26; 16:13; 7:17). Maybe it was not answered in the way you are thinking right now so that is why I am sharing.

What is my understanding of who God's true people are?

My understanding of who God's are today is as follows...............

God true Church ἐκκλησία; ekklēsia; ek-klay-see'-ah = an assembly of believers that have the Word of God and are sanctified by it. God's Church is organized but it is not an organization it is these believers that are gatherer together in His name...

Matthew 18:20

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

God has his people in all the Churches but is now calling them out of these false Churches into one fold to worship and follow him in Spirit and in truth......

John 10:16

Other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

John 4:23-24
23, But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Who are these people......

Revelations 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelations 14:12

Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Revelations 22:14-15

14, Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. 15, For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and harlot mongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loves and makes a lie

If we knowingly break anyone of God's commandments we are guilty before God of breaking all of them...

James 2:8-12
8, If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well: 9, But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors. 10, For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. 11, For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. 12, So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.
If we are following the traditions of man breaking God's commandments are we following god or man?

If we are following the teachings and traditions of man breaking the commandments of God we are not following God.....

Matthew 15:3-9

3, But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition? 4, For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. 5, But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; 6, And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition. 7, Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, 8, This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 9, But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Sunday worship is a tradition of man breaking God's commandments which was introduced into Christianity by the RCC. Who should we follow God or man?

In times of ignorance God winks at but now calls all man everywhere to repent and believe the Gospel. Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

God calls on all to seek him while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

I believe His coming is soon and he is calling all his people wherever they may be to come out of false teachings and follow him in Spirit and in truth according to his Word alone (sola scriptura) so they can be ready for his soon coming and not receive the judgements of God because of sin...

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Friends,

How can you have a relationship with Jesus if we do not know the Word for ourselves? Only through His Word alone can you find the one who loves us. You will seek me and find me when you shall search for me with all your heart. If you do not know the Word you do not know the author because they are one.

This is the parable, the seed is the Word of God....

By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth....

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.....

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him (the Word) was life; and the life was the light of men....

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth....

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God........

Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer....

Sanctify me through the truth thy Word is truth......

Thy Word have I hid in my heart that I may not sin against thee......

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God...

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which lives and abides for ever....

For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith. The mirror shows the way to those that walk by faith and not by sight. Speak the Word only....the blind now see, the deaf now hear, the lame walk and the dead rise...

May God bless you as you seek him who is the Word

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sure, but Jesus taught many things that are not recorded in Scripture. Scripture itself states as much.
Hi PB,
Nice to meet you. I believe there is many things we do not know and much to learn but it is God who must be our teacher (John 14:26; 16:13; 7:17) and it is in His Word alone that we find He who loves all. His Word is His power and everything that was created has come from the Word (John 1:1-14; Genesis 2:1-3). Jesus is the Word and without him we can do nothing because spiritual things are spiritually discerned. It is God's Word alone that is his power to save. Faith is the victory and we are to walk by it.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi PB,
Nice to meet you. I believe there is many things we do not know and much to learn but it is God who must be our teacher (John 14:26; 16:13; 7:17) and it is in His Word alone that we find He who loves all. His Word is His power and everything that was created has come from the Word (John 1:1-14; Genesis 2:1-3). Jesus is the Word and without him we can do nothing because spiritual things are spiritually discerned. It is God's Word alone that is his power to save. Faith is the victory and we are to walk by it.
Absolutely.

But we are trying to find a verse in Scripture that teaches Sola Scriptura. . .

God's Word is not limited to the Bible. At the very least, it would also include the things that Jesus said that are not recorded in Scripture.

• Winner
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely. But we are trying to find a verse in Scripture that teaches Sola Scriptura. . .God's Word is not limited to the Bible. At the very least, it would also include the things that Jesus said that are not recorded in Scripture.

Hi PB, I am not sure why you are asking for scriptures in God's Word that teaches Sola Scriptura when you have already been provided scripture? The meaning of sola scripura means scripture alone. Your question has already been answered with scripture in post # 505. So I am not sure of your point. Do you not believe that the bible is God's Word? I am sure you do I am just asking for my own clarification and understanding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi PB, I am not sure why you are asking for scriptures in God's Word that teaches Sola Scriptura when you have already been provided scripture? The meaning of sola scripura means scripture alone. Your question has already been answered with scripture in post # 505. So I am not sure of your point. Do you not believe that the bible is God's Word? I am sure you do I am just asking for my own clarification and understanding.
Well, I have been provided with Scripture but none of the Scripture you cited teaches that Christians should look to Scripture alone as a rule of faith. Specifically what verse is it that you believe teaches that? One will suffice.

To answer your question, the Bible is God's word, of course. So are the words spoken by our Lord Jesus that are not recorded in the Bible (not that we have a verbatim copy anywhere).

How do you know what the Bible is in the first place? As you know, different groups of Christians hold different sets of writings as comprising the Bible. How did you determine that the books that you believe are the Bible are in fact the whole Bible and nothing else?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How can you have a relationship with Jesus if we do not know the Word for ourselves?
That's a good question. But it raises even more questions.

How did the Church hold together during the centuries before the canon of scripture was recognized?

Also, how could Christians be faithful and obedient for the nearly two millennia before literacy became widespread? I mean, if they couldn't read (or afford!) Bibles themselves, it looks like your tradition would conclude that they're out of luck.

I realize Protestants enjoy virtue signaling about how only scripture can possibly be anybody's religious authority but track that out. It basically leaves people to be condemned to eternal punishment if they don't know how to read.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, I have been provided with Scripture but none of the Scripture you cited teaches that Christians should look to Scripture alone as a rule of faith. Specifically what verse is it that you believe teaches that? One will suffice. To answer your question, the Bible is God's word, of course. So are the words spoken by our Lord Jesus that are not recorded in the Bible (not that we have a verbatim copy anywhere). How do you know what the Bible is in the first place? As you know, different groups of Christians hold different sets of writings as comprising the Bible. How did you determine that the books that you believe are the Bible are in fact the whole Bible and nothing else?

On the contrary the scriptures provided do teach scripture alone. How are we to have life? God's Word says; "By every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God" (Mathew 4:4). Now this is only one verse that teaches scripture alone (Sola Scriptura).

There are many more that show us that we only have our life and salvation through the Word alone. Why? Because Jesus is the Word of God (John 1:1-3; John 1:14)

We are saved by God's Word and only God's Word is the truth....

John 17:17

Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Unless a man is Born again through God's Word he cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven....

John 3:3-6
3, Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again,1 he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4, Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5, Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6, That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

We are Born again by God's Word....

1 Peter 1:23

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which lives and abides for ever.

God's Salvation is only through faith in God's Word......

John 3:16-18
16, For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him <the Word> should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17, For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18, He that believes on him <the Word> is not condemned: but he that believes not <the Word> is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name <Savior the Word> of the only begotten Son of God. (Jesus is the Word; John 1:1-3; John 1:14)

God's Word gives us power over sin.........

Psalms 119:11
Thy word
have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Our faith comes by God's Word.....

Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

We are Born again by God's Word and the victory that overcomes the World is only by faith that also comes by God's Word.....

1 John 5:4
For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world
: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith. (see also 1 Peter 1:23).

We are only God's disciples if we continue by faith in God's Word.....

John 8:31-32; 34

31, Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32, And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.34, Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever commits sin is the servant of sin.

Lets put it all together.........

We are saved by God's Word alone and only God's Word is the truth Unless a man is Born again through God's Word he cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven and we are Born again by God's Word. Our faith comes by God's Word and God's Salvation is only through faith in God's Word. God's Word gives us power to overcome sin and the world without it we can do nothing. We are only God's disciples as we have faith and continue in His Word (Sola Scriptura)

May God bless you are you seek him through his Word....

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
On the contrary the scriptures provided do teach scripture alone. How are we to have life? God's Word says; "By every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God" (Mathew 4:4). Now this is only one verse that teaches scripture alone (Sola Scriptura).

There are many more that show us that we only have our life and salvation through the Word alone. Why? Because Jesus is the Word of God (John 1:1-3; John 1:14)

We are saved by God's Word and only God's Word is the truth....

John 17:17

Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Unless a man is Born again through God's Word he cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven....

John 3:3-6
3, Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again,1 he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4, Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5, Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6, That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

We are Born again by God's Word....

1 Peter 1:23

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which lives and abides for ever.

God's Salvation is only through faith in God's Word......

John 3:16-18
16, For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him <the Word> should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17, For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18, He that believes on him <the Word> is not condemned: but he that believes not <the Word> is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name <Savior the Word> of the only begotten Son of God. (Jesus is the Word; John 1:1-3; John 1:14)

God's Word gives us power over sin.........

Psalms 119:11
Thy word
have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Our faith comes by God's Word.....

Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

We are Born again by God's Word and the victory that overcomes the World is only by faith that also comes by God's Word.....

1 John 5:4
For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world
: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith. (see also 1 Peter 1:23).

We are only God's disciples if we continue by faith in God's Word.....

John 8:31-32; 34

31, Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32, And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.34, Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever commits sin is the servant of sin.

Lets put it all together.........

We are saved by God's Word alone and only God's Word is the truth Unless a man is Born again through God's Word he cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven and we are Born again by God's Word. Our faith comes by God's Word and God's Salvation is only through faith in God's Word. God's Word gives us power to overcome sin and the world without it we can do nothing. We are only God's disciples as we have faith and continue in His Word (Sola Scriptura)

May God bless you are you seek him through his Word....
Exactly what is your definition of Sola Scriptura?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
How do you know what the Bible is in the first place?

By Faith in God's Word. Our God is the creator of all things. This is by the power of His Word....

As you know, different groups of Christians hold different sets of writings as comprising the Bible. How did you determine that the books that you believe are the Bible are in fact the whole Bible and nothing else?

You do not need to worry about this. Our concern is having faith in the Words that God has provided. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. Nothing is impossible with God we walk by faith. The natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God neither can he know them because they are foolishness unto him. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? The wisdom of this world is foolishness to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sunday worship is a tradition of man breaking God's commandments which was introduced into Christianity by the RCC. Who should we follow God or man?
The bolded text is a claim often made yet history demonstrates that from the beginning, Christians gathered to worship God on the day of the week He rose from the dead. In fact they worshipped on every day of the week but primarily on the Sunday.

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The bolded text is a claim often made yet history demonstrates that from the beginning, Christians gathered to worship God on the day of the week He rose from the dead. In fact they worshipped on every day of the week but primarily on the Sunday.
Yes this was partly true both claims are correct... the early church was persecuted by pagan Rome as they were targeting Sabbath keepers. So they met on both days..

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Scripture alone... God's Word alone
No, that is a translation from Latin into English. What we are looking for here is a definition.

Let me give you an example:

The Spanish word "perro".
The English translation is "dog".
A definition is "A furry four legged animal that barks and is known to retrieve sticks."

Something along those lines would be helpful.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
By Faith in God's Word. Our God is the creator of all things. This is by the power of His Word....

You do not need to worry about this. Our concern is having faith in the Words that God has provided. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. Nothing is impossible with God we walk by faith. The natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God neither can he know them because they are foolishness unto him. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? The wisdom of this world is foolishness to God.
Actually, if we are going to put our faith in Scripture, it would be most logical to know what Scripture is. Otherwise you may as well put your faith in the Koran.

I could say that you do not accept the Catholic Bible because you are a natural man that does not receive the things of God, but that would not really get us anywhere now would it?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, that is a translation from Latin into English. What we are looking for here is a definition. Let me give you an example: The Spanish word "perro".
The English translation is "dog". A definition is "A furry four legged animal that barks and is known to retrieve sticks." Something along those lines would be helpful.

I believe that has already been answered in post #512 through the scriptures posted there

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.