Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
[FONT=&quot]History[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Instigation

In Britain before 1967, the law gave substantial protection to unborn children. In the case of R. v. Bourne (1938) in which the defendant, the gynaecologist Aleck Bourne, had performed an abortion on a girl who had been raped, the jury upheld the judge's view that an abortion could lawfully be done to prevent the mother from becoming "a physical or mental wreck." On this view of the law, abortion was allowed on serious medical grounds, but abortion on demand was certainly unlawful.
In 1966, the founder members of SPUC recognised that the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Bill (which became the Abortion Act 1967) then before Parliament would drastically change the law, leading to abortion on demand. The society was formed to oppose the Bill. Aleck Bourne, the gynaecologist who had instigated the landmark court case of 1938, had become increasingly appalled that his case was being used to justify the new legislation, and became a founder member of SPUC.

Opposition to the proposed liberalisation of the abortion law was at that time supported by the British Medical Association and the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, bodies which only became dominated by a more permissive approach to abortion several years after the new law was implemented. As a pressure group formed specifically to lobby for the rights of the unborn child, SPUC was the first organisation to be established anywhere in the world in what is known as the pro-life movement.

Principle of action
SPUC was founded to uphold the principle of respect for human life, in particular the life of the unborn child. The society's constitution was, and remains, non-religious, endorsing the recognition by the world community in the 1959 United Nations Declaration of the Rights of the Child that the child "needs special safeguards and care, including appropriate legal protection, before as well as after birth." The society has a set of aims.

Development
Formed as a pressure group, SPUC has continued to operate as such, the main focus of its work being the parliamentary campaigns against abortion and embryo experimentation, as well as opposing the legalisation of euthanasia. In the passage of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990, parliament legalised destructive experimentation on human embryos in the laboratory up to 14 days after conception, and abortion up to birth in certain cases including disability in the unborn child. However, the voting patterns of MPs and the rejection of more easily available abortion clearly showed the great increase in strength of the pro-life lobby in parliament since 1967. The legislative setbacks of 1990 also gave a new impetus to SPUC's campaign, which enjoyed several political and legislative successes in the subsequent Parliament. The society has many other achievements.
The society's areas of activity have also expanded, with the development of extensive contacts in many spheres, nationally and internationally. SPUC has developed grass-roots support in Britain through its branches and the activity of members promoting the pro-life cause in political parties, trade unions, educational institutions and religious groupings (principally the Christian churches and the Muslim community).

Present status

A voluntary organisation
SPUC is a privately funded voluntary organisation. It is not a registered charity, remaining free to pursue its legislative objectives unimpeded by the constraints of charity law.

Funding
The society depends for its income (which is in the region of 1 million pounds annually) on donations and fundraising by members and supporters. Many of the organisations opposed to the rights of unborn children are in receipt of funds from government departments and grants from private foundations, such as the International Planned Parenthood Federation, which is funded by governments and non-governmental foundations worldwide and which receives millions of pounds every year.

Independence
SPUC enjoys a high degree of independence. As the society is not a body of any church or political party, and has limited affiliations, it is free to operate effectively across a wide denominational, political and social spectrum.
[FONT=&quot]http://www.spuc.org.uk/[/FONT]

Mar 18, 2011
United Kingdom
✟15,128.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
The problem with SPUC is that it's focused too much on support from individual churches and groups rather than organisations and non-Christians. Plus they do a poor job making the case for the pro-life argument and I don't understand what sex education has to do with them? Certainly sex education in this country can be improved but telling people "don't do it" and "if you do, have it" isn't going to work in reality.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Do people REALLY get abortions willy-nilly?:confused:
I'm pretty sure anyone who decides to have an abortions goes though a lot of deliberation and emotional distress before coming to the decision. :(

Why then make it so bloody hard to GET an abortion? To deter them? :scratch:
Personally, i think forcing someone to have an unwanted baby against their will is worse than letting them have the option to have an abortion.
No one should have the right to force a woman to have a baby in my opinion.

Yes it's a life after conception, it was before too, as two separate gametes.
All because something could become a developed human being, doesn't give it the rights of one.
The only time i would oppose an abortion is if the baby could survive outside the womb, and even then, it's still up to the woman, and there are still special situations where i'd make an exception, mainly if the child would have a terrible quality of life or that the birth posses a threat to the mother.(Directly, though complications and the like, or indirectly through very strict/dangerous parents/guardians finding out ETC)

Thats my veiws on this whole thing anyway.:blush:

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[Genersis]Do people REALLY get abortions willy-nilly?:confused:

In some instances, absoutely......

I'm pretty sure anyone who decides to have an abortions goes though a lot of deliberation and emotional distress before coming to the decision. :(

Not in every instance. I think you'll be surprised as to how convenient having an abortion has become. Women choosing abortion because the baby will have a minor disability throughout his/her life is also quite common.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ration

Certified Brony
Sep 26, 2011
Adelaide
✟15,335.00
Faith
Deist

Oh god, worst thing I've ever had to deal with. One of my best friends had a pregnancy scare a while back after she missed her period and got a false positive on a pregnancy kit. I copped the most of it (her deadbeat boyfriend was such a loser), and a woman in that state is just not something to be around.

Ended up taking her to the doctor to discuss options, he recommended another test and it came up negative. Though she had decided to go through with an abortion had she been properly pregnant.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
In some instances, absoutely......

Not in every instance. I think you'll be surprised as to how convenient having an abortion has become. Women choosing abortion because the baby will have a minor disability throughout his/her life is also quite common.

I find both your points a little hard to believe.
The former in particular.
Perhaps those are just your opinion which you assume as fact?:confused:

What qualifies as a "minor disability" to you?
Perhaps the families felt they couldn't provide for the child's special needs? Looking after someone with a disability can be quite expensive.

I guess there's adoption. But adoption agencies are already heavily bogged down with children. Those with special needs i'm assuming are especially hard to find a home for. As heartless as it sounds, maybe the world would be better off with one less (possible)child in the world? Espcially if that child's life could and likely would be filled with missery to some degree. :(

Regardless, I still feel the woman has a right to control her body. I don't feel a law that forces her to carry the baby against her will is justifiable. Even if a possible human life is in the balance.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Oh god, worst thing I've ever had to deal with. One of my best friends had a pregnancy scare a while back after she missed her period and got a false positive on a pregnancy kit. I copped the most of it (her deadbeat boyfriend was such a loser), and a woman in that state is just not something to be around.

Ended up taking her to the doctor to discuss options, he recommended another test and it came up negative. Though she had decided to go through with an abortion had she been properly pregnant.
Sorry to hear that Ration.
There must of been some intense emotions flying around.
I hope SOMETHING good came of it.:(
*Hugs*

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"minor disability" was a poor choice of words on my part :)

I guess what I am trying to say is that there are women who will opt for an abortion on finding out that the baby will have downs syndrome. That's just one example. I find that somewhat troubling..

In re to "abortion on tap" I would suggest that there is some truth to it. It may be an unpalatable truth, but some women do have abortions out of pure convenience. I'm not sharing my own agenda here, just stating what I consider to be fact...

Upvote 0

welshman

Mar 5, 2008
Wales
✟23,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
We had this discussion in our social work course last week. Really interesting hearing reasons why people have abortions. While I may not agree with everything this website has to offer (some of it is way out there in a lot of scriptural beliefs)...this particular page really did confirm what I believed. Abortion is murder...

Abortion is Murder!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ration

Certified Brony
Sep 26, 2011
Adelaide
✟15,335.00
Faith
Deist
Sorry to hear that Ration.
There must of been some intense emotions flying around.
I hope SOMETHING good came of it.:(
*Hugs*

If anything I learnt that a woman whos period is two weeks late is by far several orders of magnitude worse than one whos on it.

We had this discussion in our social work course last week. Really interesting hearing reasons why people have abortions. While I may not agree with everything this website has to offer (some of it is way out there in a lot of scriptural beliefs)...this particular page really did confirm what I believed. Abortion is murder...

Abortion is Murder!

While I disagree with abortion conducted after the the baby is able to survive outside the womb, I would hardly call sucking out for what for all intents and purposes is a giant tumour without a nervous system and no consiousness murder. Also that website hardly provides any arguments against abortion other than LOOK AT THESE HORRIBLE PICTURES. I've seen far worse in my time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

welshman

Mar 5, 2008
Wales
✟23,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
The argument about surviving outside the womb is nonsense. Name any baby able to survive on their own after being born. None. Every baby needs intervention from the mother and doctors. A 3yr old couldn't survive on their own.

As for "sucking out a tumor"...I bet you are thankful your mother didn't see you as such an inconvenience. :doh:

If anything I learnt that a woman whos period is two weeks late is by far several orders of magnitude worse than one whos on it.

While I disagree with abortion conducted after the the baby is able to survive outside the womb, I would hardly call sucking out for what for all intents and purposes is a giant tumour without a nervous system and no consiousness murder. Also that website hardly provides any arguments against abortion other than LOOK AT THESE HORRIBLE PICTURES. I've seen far worse in my time.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
The argument about surviving outside the womb is nonsense. Name any baby able to survive on their own after being born. None. Every baby needs intervention from the mother and doctors. A 3yr old couldn't survive on their own.

As for "sucking out a tumor"...I bet you are thankful your mother didn't see you as such an inconvenience. :doh:

But a baby doesn't parasitically live off of another humans body? Does it?
Are you saying the unborn has more rights to the mothers body than than the mother?
No?
Then why doesn't a women get to decide if she can have an abortion?

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
A baby is not a parasite. I mean...are you for real?! I want a bit of what you're on.

So maybe i worded that a bit iffy. Besides, i never said an unborn is a parasite, only that its relationship with its mother could be considered parasitical.
The relationship between most mammals and it's developing offspring can be considered parasitic.
With the zygote/foetus feeding off of the mothers nutrients.
Fraid I couldn't find a better word for it.:o

Last edited:
Upvote 0