• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Social Media Hurts

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Note 1: I am posting this in "General Struggles" since it can relate to multiple mental health issues.

Note 2: I am not saying that all social media is always harmful. Sometimes it can be very helpful.

Note 3: I don't know everything. I'm no expert on social media or mental health. This is all based on my own thoughts and experiences.

Sometimes social media can be very harmful, especially for those of us who struggle with mental health in any way. I learned that the hard way, and I want to tell you about these things so that maybe you won't have to. In my next few posts, I'll tell you what I experienced, what I did about it, and how you can avoid getting in the same situation, or get out of it if you're already there. I hope this thread will be helpful to you.

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree social media can be detrimental especially if it's used too much and decreases contact with people in person

not on FB, instagram, or any other social media beside a couple forums

have heard FB operates at a 7th grade level
many people post to brag about their lives so it appears to others EVERYONE is perfect

it can be depressing to compare oneself to seemingly perfect people

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I pray you will find help and encouragement here, Multifavs! We all have failures at times, but at least most of us want to encourage all to look to the Lord Jesus for eternal blessing and assurance. That counsel is not referring to 'religion', but to the Person of Jesus Christ --the ONLY way to the Father: our Creator-God. Please re-read John 14; John 3; Romans 8; and hear God speaking to you in His Holy "Word of truth". We need to take "all the counsel of God" as our Savior encourages us. Keep looking up!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
How I Got Out of a Bad Situation

Okay, so I was pretty foolish. It took me a long time to leave both CF and the secular site even after I knew I was having trouble. But eventually my eyes were finally opened!

When I took a break from CF it wasn't easy, but I finally realized just how bad being too involved was making me feel, so I tore myself away from that (though I still kept in touch with friends through PM).

I guess the reason I went back to the secular site was because I wouldn't have much to do online if I left all social media, and I didn't have anywhere else to go. I don't know what I was thinking at the time, I should have known what I was getting myself into. About four or five months later I was feeling unhappy and uncomfortable there but I was afraid to quit the only job I could get. So I was only active there for my work for a while until, after some more bad experiences and seeing the direction the place was going, I knew I had to quit. It was devastating and relieving at the same time, to be honest.

I came back to CF knowing that a Christian community is the best place to stay. I'm glad I made that choice.

Today, I'm trying to be careful on social media, avoiding places I know are harmful and only being somewhat active on CF, sticking to more friendly and fun threads. And how am I feeling now? I've still got some anxiety, but I can say that my depression has (so far, anyway) improved dramatically. I feel much happier now overall and my interest and inspiration for the things I enjoy has improved as well.

Yes, it still hurts when I think about the bad times I went through, but I try not to think about the past too much. Yes, I shouldn't have said hurtful things on CF when I did. I won't make any excuses. I did the wrong things and made mistakes and I'm truly sorry about that. The good thing is, I can try to learn from my mistakes and not repeat them.

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Note 1: I am posting this in "General Struggles" since it can relate to multiple mental health issues.

Note 2: I am not saying that all social media is always harmful. Sometimes it can be very helpful.

Note 3: I don't know everything. I'm no expert on social media or mental health. This is all based on my own thoughts and experiences.

Sometimes social media can be very harmful, especially for those of us who struggle with mental health in any way. I learned that the hard way, and I want to tell you about these things so that maybe you won't have to. In my next few posts, I'll tell you what I experienced, what I did about it, and how you can avoid getting in the same situation, or get out of it if you're already there. I hope this thread will be helpful to you.

I really dislike facebook. If it wasn't so useful for keeping in touch with people I would have deleted it long since.

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
What You Can Do

Here are some things you can do to avoid being hurt badly by social media:

-Before joining a new website, look over it very carefully. Make sure it's what you're looking for and check out the site rules. You don't want to join and regret it later.

-Stay away from areas that are sensitive for you. If you don't like debates, stay away from debate threads, for example.

-If you have a lot of trouble with a large community like CF, stick to communicating with people you trust and threads that you know are safe. Small groups may be better than larger ones for you.

-Think before you speak. If you're not sure if you should post something or not, it's probably better not to.

-Remember that you don't have to say everything that comes into your mind. You don't have to tell everyone everything about you. Sometimes you might feel that you just have to say a certain thing, but that feeling will pass.

-Don't fight with bullies and spammers. Report them instead.

-On places like Youtube try not to read the comments, whether you're a member or not. They're often troublesome.

If You're Already Having Trouble

-One problem with social media is that it's very addicting. Once you start, it can be hard to stop. Take small steps if you can. Or if a big eye-opener happens (like what happened to me) you might be able to take larger steps.

-Try to spend less time there and limit where you go.

-If you are on a website that has other things to do along with a forum or community, stick to the other things you can do if the community is bothersome to you. For example, I post stories on Fanfiction and stream on Twitch, but I don't take part in their communities.

-Find other things to do when you're online or just using the computer. Now that I don't have much social media to keep me busy I admit it does get sort of boring and lonely at times, but I spend a lot of my computer time making digital art or playing games instead.

-Talk to someone you trust about your trouble. They might be able to help you. Even just having someone to listen can help.

-You might have times when you think back on something and you think "What was wrong with me?" just like I did. It could even be something that happened recently! Try not to think too much about the bad times from the past. Focus on learning from your mistakes and improving in the future.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Great posts and a lot of good advice. I try to keep in mind that in most cases you're not going to change someone's opinion. So if stating something is likely to start a flame war then it probably isn't worth it. There are those who love debating but it's not usually my thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I try to keep in mind that in most cases you're not going to change someone's opinion.

I've been on 5 different forums including 2 adoption ones which are now gone

never, ever have I seen anyone be persuaded to change their mind...never!

Upvote 0