So who's in a celebratory mood for this Independence Day?

Feeling celebratory this July 4?

• Celebratory

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Not so celebratory

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Not my country

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Usually I'm pretty happy to celebrate the founding of America, warts and all. The ideals, the people, and even the place itself usually gets even this west coast liberal elitist a little patriotic.

But this year is different. No I dont hate the USA. But its a real mess right now for number of intersecting reasons we all know about. I feel like we're undergoing a slow motion national lobotomy, and some other interest will be pushing us around in our wheelchair for the rest of our days.

So, feeling rather reflective, and not so celebratory at all.
I'm feeling more celebratory, as are the people around me, I found out. Being an avid jogger, I see a lot of my neighborhood. After the Floyd rioting started, and throughout all of June, I noticed a lot of homes flying the American flag out front, like lots more than the tiny handful that normally do even on holidays like the Fourth of July. I got the unspoken message. A neighbor lady gave me a small flag which I put out front, so for the first time ever I flew the flag myself.

I guess you could call the mood celebratory, or defiant.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Medical, lol.

My grammar is awful, I try my best.. lol.
Nothing wrong with the grammar, I'll just take any opening for a cheap joke. You probably know that by now. :)

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nothing wrong with the grammar, I'll just take any opening for a cheap joke. You probably know that by now. :)

Or really? I just assume it's my fault because of wording. I don't even know enough to tell if the grammar is good or not just safe to assume otherwise.

Your joke was funny though. I don't know if my father would think it was funny, but who cares about him right? Lol.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Or really? I just assume it's my fault because of wording. I don't even know enough to tell if the grammar is good or not just safe to assume otherwise.

Your joke was funny though. I don't know if my father would think it was funny, but who cares about him right? Lol.
Yes, really. I knew exactly what you meant, I'm sure anyone else does. It's common phrasing.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, really. I knew exactly what you meant, I'm sure anyone else does. It's common phrasing.

I know lol.

There are times I say something and the person doesn't say anything but responds with a disgusted look and walks away.. lol. Probably happens to everyone at some point, although my ratio is probably a little more extreme.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I know lol.

There are times I say something and the person doesn't say anything but responds with a disgusted look and walks away.. lol. Probably happens to everyone at some point, although my ratio is probably a little more extreme.
Are you talking about on the internet or in real life?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Both really, lol.
I think the same happens to everyone. It seems to happen more on the internet, because I so often get responses to something I said where I'm just like "Wut?! How did you get that out of what I said?" But I do notice it sometimes in real life, too.

(And it especially sucks when forum moderators read something into what you say that you didn't say. :))

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
July 4 should remind us that this country was founded in rebellion against political traditions and established authority. Our founders were radicals for their time. The Antifa of their day. Seems that now, many Americans—most notably our President— expect obedience to authority and unquestioning veneration of old historical figures and traditions. That’s not who we should be. Our national outlook should be cutting-edge and futuristic. Not time-worn and archaic.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
jayem was absolutely correct, the founding fathers were the liberals and radicals of their day.
They are absolutely nothing like Antifa. The founders were geniuses, perhaps the greatest collection of political philosophers in history. The collective IQ of Antifa is probably lower than my shoe size. The founders were men who actually risked something, including their lives, whereas Antifa will curse the police with vulgarities, and taunt people to fight, then when you give them a tap on the chin they run calling "Help! Help me Mr. Policeman! I've been assaulted!" The founders sought to create something positive, and did. Antifa doesn't even know what it seeks, other than to destroy.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
They are absolutely nothing like Antifa. The founders were geniuses, perhaps the greatest collection of political philosophers in history. The collective IQ of Antifa is probably lower than my shoe size. The founders were men who actually risked something, including their lives, whereas Antifa will curse the police with vulgarities, and taunt people to fight, then when you give them a tap on the chin they run calling "Help! Help me Mr. Policeman! I've been assaulted!" The founders sought to create something positive, and did. Antifa doesn't even know what it seeks, other than to destroy.

Reread my post please. Where did I mention Antifa?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Reread my post please. Where did I mention Antifa?
You should have read the portion of the post I quoted, which is what I was replying to. Anyway, you're still wrong. There's nothing liberal about Antifa.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I guess you would have been a Tory back in the today. What you say about Antifa is pretty much what the British thought about the Sons of Liberty. Check the link. They were a society of provocateurs supporting independence. They were the instigators of the Boston Tea party. They made threats, and engaged in acts of civil disobedience and sometimes violence against British rule. Paul Revere was a member. As were Sam Adams and John Hancock. Both signers of the Declaration of Independence. To the Brits, they were a lawless, terrorist rabble. To us, they're patriots.

You can think what you like. But radicalism is part of our history. It's in our blood. :oldthumbsup:

https://www.history.com/news/sons-of-liberty-members-causes

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I guess you would have been a Tory back in the today. What you say about Antifa is pretty much what the British thought about the Sons of Liberty. Check the link. They were a society of provocateurs supporting independence. They were the instigators of the Boston Tea party. They made threats, and engaged in acts of civil disobedience and sometimes violence against British rule. Paul Revere was a member. As were Sam Adams and John Hancock. Both signers of the Declaration of Independence. To the Brits, they were a lawless, terrorist rabble. To us, they're patriots.

You can think what you like. But radicalism is part of our history. It's in our blood. :oldthumbsup:

https://www.history.com/news/sons-of-liberty-members-causes
I didn't say they weren't radical. I don't need to read a link showing what the enemy government said about them, of course it's going to be bad. But many people in Britain were sympathetic to the colonists' cause.

Upvote 0