So that's why...

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That proves what I have long suspected:

We’re all animals.
I also said to myself, “As for humans, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals.
Surely the fate of human beings is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; humans have no advantage over animals. Everything is meaningless.
(Ecclesiastes 3:18-19)

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I also said to myself, “As for humans, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals.
Surely the fate of human beings is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; humans have no advantage over animals. Everything is meaningless.
Thanks for quoting that.
I never saw that before.
I haven’t read any Ecclesiastes

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Even in Jesus' time, many religious Jews assumed that there was no afterlife for man. Not surprising that Solomon would have thought so.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Even in Jesus' time, many religious Jews assumed that there was no afterlife for man. Not surprising that Solomon would have thought so.
This passage doesn't exactly say that however.

If you check the hebrew word for the soul put in beasts and in man in Genesis, it's the same word. Solomon would have been referring to that.

Other translations of this passage imply that it was a refutation of the concept that humans go up, and dogs go back into the ground.

Since both received breath from God, it would make sense that this breath would return to Him.

That's how I read it presently anyhow.

Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status