Michigan
✟16,831.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Right, well I've never attended Mass, and if you would have asked me a month ago if I ever thought I'd step foot in a Catholic church, I would've laughed you off the face of the earth. I had never even considered it. Well, that's changed. Even asked my friend to take me to Mass. So tomorrow, I'm going to my first one ever. I am a very well informed Christian, but my ignorance on the Catholic church is painfully astounding. Therefore, I'm a bit (read: very) nervous about going tomorrow. I have no idea what it's going to be like. Any advice or...well, anything really? I don't even know what I can and can't do.

Reactions: D'Ann

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Stand when everyone stands, sit when everyone sits, don't worry too much about the words yet. Don't go to communion, although in most US churches you can cross your arms over the chest and get a blessing from the priest instead.

All in all, just let it happen, and enjoy yourself!

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
there should be a book, it will have the bible readings for that day in it, you just have to find the day, there is also hymns in it
but yeah, what antigone said, just stand when everyone elses stands, do not worry about it too much about it, just let it sink in

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right, well I've never attended Mass, and if you would have asked me a month ago if I ever thought I'd step foot in a Catholic church, I would've laughed you off the face of the earth. I had never even considered it. Well, that's changed. Even asked my friend to take me to Mass. So tomorrow, I'm going to my first one ever. I am a very well informed Christian, but my ignorance on the Catholic church is painfully astounding. Therefore, I'm a bit (read: very) nervous about going tomorrow. I have no idea what it's going to be like. Any advice or...well, anything really? I don't even know what I can and can't do.
LOL! You sound just like I did. You are allowed to just sit & observe. If you want to join in with the stand, kneel part you can. Just don't forget the kneelers like I did! :o

Upvote 0

Winter

Jesus, let it be ok
Jan 18, 2009
New England
✟25,253.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you have access to EWTN on cable tv, you can view a Mass there. They repeat the daily Mass so you can get a sense of what its like.

Basically the Mass is all about the "Lord's Supper" (or, as we call it "the Eucharist" or "Holy Communion"). In fact the Mass is the Lord's Supper. Every part of the Mass leads up to Holy Communion.

Like Antigone said, just stand when everyone stands, and sit when everyone sits. We also kneel during the Eucharist - which basically is kneeling to Jesus and His sacrifice for us, but that is optional if you're not comfortable with that.

And don't worry about the prayers. At some point everyone will be reciting the same things together - don't worry about that. Noone is going to notice.

We often make the sign of the cross - don't worry about that either. Noone is going to notice.

You wouldn't be able to take communion at that point - but you can stay seated in the pews until the Mass resumes (you may see others sitting at their pews too). But aside from that, just follow what the crowd does, and you'll be fine. :)

There is nothing wrong you can do, so just relax, observe, and enjoy the Mass. :)

Upvote 0

Vendetta

Convert to the RCC
Nov 4, 2008
Michigan
✟16,831.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ahh, thank you all. I am aware that I cannot participate in the Eucharist. And certainly, the sacraments and saints are what initially attracted me. I'm sure it's not that difficult. After all, millions of people have done it. Still, it's certainly an awkward feeling to know that I won't know what's going on, since I'm the type of person that never speaks of things which I haven't researched and don't do things unless I know them like the back of my hand. Still, I'm looking forward to the experience, and my friend is a cradle Catholic, so I'm sure she'll be helping me out. Say a quick prayer for me, though, if it isn't too much to ask.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Don't go to communion, although in most US churches you can cross your arms over the chest and get a blessing from the priest instead.
Not all? And why would one not go a receive a blessing?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
there should be a book, it will have the bible readings for that day in it, you just have to find the day, there is also hymns in it
Just to note that the only book you'll find in the pews in our local Catholic parish church is a hymnal.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Our priest prefers non-communicants remain seated since everyone is blessed at the end of mass anyway.

That's the way Dutch churches prefer it too, but I heard that it's not uncommon in America. In any case, feel free to remain seated during communion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Musa80

Veteran
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
✟10,191.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Just to note that the only book you'll find in the pews in our local Catholic parish church is a hymnal.

That's been my experience too, and sometimes not even a hymnal but a printout of the hymns they happen to be using that day.

To the OP, relax and let the whole thing soak in. You can go along with the kneeling, sitting, and standing if it feels comfortable, or just sit and observe. I've been to a lot of Roman Catholic Masses and from my experience, everyone is too busy with their own participation to be concerned with what you are doing or not doing.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ahh! It was amazing. I nearly cried for joy during it, and I don't even know why. Couple awkward moments with stuff I've never seen before (and my knees are sore), but overall just awesome. Thank you all for your kindness.
what did you find awkward? i was raised catholic so all this stuff is normal for me,
brother, i am so glad that you had a good time, if there is anything else you want to know feel free to ask

Upvote 0