Discussion So if God says something to you and it doesn't happen ...

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Thought, not addressing anyone in particular:

In the OT all the prophets cried out with one bottom line "Repent". John the Baptizer cried out, "Repent". Why aren't any of those who call themselves prophets not doing this? The OT and John weren't talking politics nor were they speaking to the heathen, they were speaking to the people of God telling them to repent. In this day that would be those who claim to know Him, but their activities say different. Just a curious question I think.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,399.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I don't believe the gift of prophesy currently extends beyond the level of individuals or congregations. I think that prophesies involving the entire Body of Christ or entire nations are already spoken in scripture, and anybody claiming such expansive prophesies is actually trying to add to scripture. The subtext I discern in 1 Corinthians 14 is that all those gifts are for the edification of that congregation, those people who are in one accord with each other.

I received a word concerning the war in Yugoslavia 6 months before it began. I passed this onto the Slavic Gospel Mission. They were alerted - it came to pass.

Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,399.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is true.

This conclusion does not account for God indicating opportunity which may or may not be taken...

A genuine word could indicate an open door - we can refuse to walk through it - the word is not invalidated by this...

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,481,429.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I received a word concerning the war in Yugoslavia 6 months before it began. I passed this onto the Slavic Gospel Mission. They were alerted - it came to pass.

Interestingly enough, I also knew there would be a war in Yugoslavia six months before it began.

I did have access to the US intelligence on what was going on in Yugoslavia, however. So it's not as thought that information wasn't out there to be divined without divine revelation.

I would point out, though, that you were given that information to do what you did: To warn that Slavic Gospel Mission. It was not a general prophesy for the nation of Yugoslavia nor for the entire Body of Christ.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,399.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thought, not addressing anyone in particular:

In the OT all the prophets cried out with one bottom line "Repent". John the Baptizer cried out, "Repent". Why aren't any of those who call themselves prophets not doing this? The OT and John weren't talking politics nor were they speaking to the heathen, they were speaking to the people of God telling them to repent. In this day that would be those who claim to know Him, but their activities say different. Just a curious question I think.

This is a good question...

Some do but they are few.

There will be a release of the Spirit of Elijah which we know is linked to JB who did not display signs and wonders, only repentance.

To me this is the greater gift - may the fire of His conviction manifest...

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,399.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly enough, I also knew there would be a war in Yugoslavia six months before it began.

I did have access to the US intelligence on what was going on in Yugoslavia, however. So it's not as thought that information wasn't out there to be divined without divine revelation.

I would point out, though, that you were given that information to do what you did: To warn that Slavic Gospel Mission. It was not a general prophesy for the nation of Yugoslavia nor for the entire Body of Christ.

Honestly I didn't have a clue who to tell...

I saw in a vision engineers coming in to Yugoslavia to release people from under grave stones.

In this respect it concerns me that the body of Christ is not well set up to manage such words. I really didn't have a clue what to do with it.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟801,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John Paul Jackson was told the Challenger was going to be destroyed? can't remember the exact wording - shortly after take off. He called them. Whomever he ended up speaking with thanked him for his call and assured him they had done all the necessary tests. Everything was fine the official said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
This conclusion does not account for God indicating opportunity which may or may not be taken...

A genuine word could indicate an open door - we can refuse to walk through it - the word is not invalidated by this...
Although Christians constantly say it, there's no evidence that a genuine word indicates an open door. The door is frequently closed and locked and barred.
That fact is demonstrated by Israel entering the promised land. That land was closed and barred and protected by giants. There is no way it was an open door.
The key to opening such doors is of course faithfully following the directions of the Lord.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟801,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Usually agree with you - just on this giant thing though

The promised land had obstacles. Since Biblical names have meanings and one study yielded
down trodden, greed, fear, spirit of immorality, pride and rebellion, and lie openly - spirit of humanism, etc

As Caleb said "Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it." Num 13 He knew what they had been promised and who would help them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,481,429.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so a couple of posts have evoked a question to me:

As I consider scriptural examples, when has God ever given someone a prophesy without telling the prophet precisely to whom the prophesy was to be delivered?

And what good would the prophesy be if the prophet does not know exactly who to deliver it to?

Are there any biblical prophesies addressed, "To whom it may concern?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,399.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Although Christians constantly say it, there's no evidence that a genuine word indicates an open door. The door is frequently closed and locked and barred.
That fact is demonstrated by Israel entering the promised land. That land was closed and barred and protected by giants. There is no way it was an open door.
The key to opening such doors is of course faithfully following the directions of the Lord.

Rev 3
7 To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: These are the words of the One who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What He opens no one can shut, and what He shuts no one can open. 8 I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door, which no one can shut. For you have only a little strength, yet you have kept My word and have not denied My name.

Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree.
However we still have a few days more to test the words we have received.

The prophetic word, "The Lord has his Trump card" was given to me 9 years in advance at a time I was praying for an earlier US election, and being a Brit, was completely meaningless.

It made no sense, until of course, Trump entered the fray.

I am absolutely confident in what I heard. If it fails, then I shall have to re examine my interpretation before they try to stone me.

Amen. The problem others who call themselves believers are always ready to lob stones

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,481,429.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen. The problem others who call themselves believers are always ready to lob stones

Actually the problem is that there aren't enough believers ready to lob stones. Too many "prophets" get away with being right less often than a coin toss.

Upvote 0

Lg2000

Dec 15, 2003
L.A.
✟27,613.00
Faith
Christian
Actually the problem is that there aren't enough believers ready to lob stones. Too many "prophets" get away with being right less often than a coin toss.
Deuteronomy 18:20
But the a prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

God doesn't take lightly those who claim to speak in his name when it didn't actually come from him but somehow everyone turns a blind eye and calls people who call them out " haters or scoffers".

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Rev 3
7 To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: These are the words of the One who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What He opens no one can shut, and what He shuts no one can open. 8 I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door, which no one can shut. For you have only a little strength, yet you have kept My word and have not denied My name.
Nice scripture.
But it still doesn't negate the fact that many times the saints have to break down very closed, locked and barred doors, in order to fulfill prophecy.
The idea that God's doors on earth are always wide open is thoroughly disproved by scripture and human history.
It is also a fact that Satan makes sure his doorways are always wide open for fool Christians who've been taught it's a sign from God.

Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,399.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nice scripture.
But it still doesn't negate the fact that many times the saints have to break down very closed, locked and barred doors, in order to fulfill prophecy.
The idea that God's doors on earth are always wide open is thoroughly disproved by scripture and human history.
It is also a fact that Satan makes sure his doorways are always wide open for fool Christians who've been taught it's a sign from God.

Of course - I was simply responding to your claim that prophesy will never indicate an open door - and I gave you an example contrary to your claim.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟246,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So if God says something to you, and it doesn't happen ...

How does this affect your faith?

and what is your reaction?

If God says something it will happen.

If I may suggest you are asking the wrong question. What you should be asking is why so many people in Charismatic/Pentecostal circles are prophesying and declaring the delusions of their own minds (Jeremiah 14:14) as if it was God speaking. And other questions- why is there an appetite for delusions within Charismatic circles? What fault was found in the Holy Spirit and God's Holy Word that people are unsatisfied and turn to delusions? Why can't many Charismatic Christians tell the difference between the truth and a lie? And why are people who share delusions never held to account?

Romans 12: 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

First be transformed by the renewing of your mind then you can test and approve what God's will is.

God Bless :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

A word of knowledge is different than a prophecy though.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If I may suggest you are asking the wrong question.
I asked an open ended question so there would be a discussion on the topic.

playing gotcha games with words isn't really my speed.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟246,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I asked an open ended question so there would be a discussion on the topic.

playing gotcha games with words isn't really my speed.

Hello Michael. I wasn't intending my reply to be a gotcha game it's just that the premise of your question doesn't exist: 'So if God says something to you, and it doesn't happen'

It's like asking why is the grass blue or the sky green.

If God says something to you then it will happen. God Bless :)

Upvote 0