Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This weekend I went to visit my friend and his wife in their new home in SE Pennsylvania. They have a very nice home and one of its perks is that there is a Catholic Church right across the street! They are both very serious about joining the Church and so I am very happy that they moved this close to a church.

Anyway, I've always wanted to go to a Spanish Mass, and there was one at 4pm Sunday, so we went to that. It was really great. Except for what happened (or didn't happen) at Communion.

There were no ushers, first of all. Being an usher at my home parish, I always thought my job was sort of useless, but this weekend changed my mind. The people in the first few pews went up to receive, and I also noticed a few people standing in the back of the church went up (usually they go last), and a family in the row in front of me went up - I thought they were cutting in line or something. Anyway, before I knew it, the priest was back on the altar putting away the Hosts in the tabernacle. What happened? It seems like my turn to go up never came. Nor did it come for about 75% of the congregation????

Anyway, I was pretty, no... really disappointed. It took a lot of prayer to get un-angry about what happened. I had been blessed that weekend seeing my friends. The Lord has sent me lots of blessings and I just tried to concentrate on that. I also knew it was not my fault that I missed Communion, and most importantly I knew that God knows that too. I still don't know what happened... anyway, I still am a little disappointed and had to vent a little bit.

And if anyone has any clue as to what happened... fill me in~!

Reactions: Gaudete

Gaudete

Dec 26, 2005
Umea
✟8,367.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How strange... might be a tradition in the Spanish perish, I guess?
I understand your feeling (dissapointed and so on)... On the World Youth day (2005), my group had to leave during the concluding mass with the Pope (to cach a train...)!
I don't know the English term but I think it's something like "spiritual Communion/Eukarest" - the longing after the Holy Communion while one can't recieve it.

Upvote 0

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They have a very nice home and one of its perks is that there is a Catholic Church right across the street!
This has nothing to do with your post but I have a question.

Whenever I pass by a Church, I always bless myself because I am so close to Jesus, well, do you continually bless yourself if you live across the street?? LoL

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How strange... might be a tradition in the Spanish parish, I guess?
It is strange...
The Mass actually began late because the priest was hearing confessions before Mass.. I took this to be a sign of piety, of parishoners who may have needed absolution to receive Communion, and I did not mind waiting for that at all, especially as I have a feeling that so many people in a lot of American parishes receive Communion when they really shou'd be going to Confession first... but then most at this church did not receive? I am so puzzled.
I understand your feeling (dissapointed and so on)... On the World Youth day (2005), my group had to leave during the concluding mass with the Pope (to cach a train...)!
Aw, that is too bad. I was there and saw some groups leaving. I figured it was because it was either stay and be stranded in Germany, or go and catch the train. If it makes you feel any better, be happy you missed the gigantic human traffic jam that took place after it was over... it took us 6 hours to get back to our hotel... it was a disaster! (kind of fun though, as I look back on it :) )

Upvote 0

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upon_This_Rock said:
This has nothing to do with your post but I have a question.

Whenever I pass by a Church, I always bless myself because I am so close to Jesus, well, do you continually bless yourself if you live across the street?? LoL

I am continually blessed, because wherever I go Jesus goes with me... He is always with me.

Les

Upvote 0

eyesofmystery

Jan 3, 2006
Atlantic Canada
Visit site
✟8,237.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
^ Hehehe... the Marienfeld Mass Exodus! That was horrible, but we all have interesting stories to tell!

As for missing communion, I do know that in some countries, people don't go up to receive in order pew by pew. They go up whenever they feel ready, and it's not seen as butting in line. Also, in some places (I think it was like that in Dominican Republic), they don't want to receive communion if they haven't gone to confession recently, and I think that's a good thing to choose. In the parishes in my area, everyone goes up and if I feel I shouldn't go, sometimes I feel like everyone is looking at me when I just sit there. Then again, maybe it's God's way of telling me to go to confession more often! ;)

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
ps139 said:
It is strange...
The Mass actually began late because the priest was hearing confessions before Mass.. I took this to be a sign of piety, of parishoners who may have needed absolution to receive Communion, and I did not mind waiting for that at all, especially as I have a feeling that so many people in a lot of American parishes receive Communion when they really shou'd be going to Confession first... but then most at this church did not receive? I am so puzzled.

Well, now speaking as someone who has been to a few Spanish-language masses (by which I literally mean three), I've never seen that. I'll have to ask around...and go to the Spanish language Mass more often. :holy:

Upvote 0

ps139

Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
eyesofmystery said:
^ Hehehe... the Marienfeld Mass Exodus! That was horrible, but we all have interesting stories to tell!
LOL someday I should tell you my story - if I haven't already. Suffice it to say that it made "redemptive suffering" into a reality for me :)

As for missing communion, I do know that in some countries, people don't go up to receive in order pew by pew. They go up whenever they feel ready, and it's not seen as butting in line.
Hmm.... well that would make sense. I suppose this must be a cultural thing then.

. In the parishes in my area, everyone goes up and if I feel I shouldn't go, sometimes I feel like everyone is looking at me when I just sit there. Then again, maybe it's God's way of telling me to go to confession more often! ;)
I think you may be right with that last part... I know how you feel... :)

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Back before Vatican II and all, it was not simply assumed that a person was going to receive Communion (EACH time he would present himself at the Communion rail, he went to Confession first--at some parishes it was at Saturday Confession and in the smaller parishes where the priest was on some sort of "circuit", it was right before Mass). Anyway, people didn't file out row by row. In fact, it was rare that a person in a given row would stand to simply join the line of those leading to the altar rail. I guess the job of usher was simply finding someone a seat and counting who went up for Communion (besides counting the donations). Of course, those who felt that for some reason they were unable to join those at the Communion rail (perhaps because of the Eucharistic fast or the timing of Confession) would make a Spiritual Act of Communion. Perhaps the Spanish community by you is small enough and that sort of community tradition (small "t") is practiced.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
AMDG said:
Back before Vatican II and all, it was not simply assumed that a person was going to receive Communion (EACH time he would present himself at the Communion rail, he went to Confession first--at some parishes it was at Saturday Confession and in the smaller parishes where the priest was on some sort of "circuit", it was right before Mass). Anyway, people didn't file out row by row. In fact, it was rare that a person in a given row would stand to simply join the line of those leading to the altar rail. I guess the job of usher was simply finding someone a seat and counting who went up for Communion (besides counting the donations). Of course, those who felt that for some reason they were unable to join those at the Communion rail (perhaps because of the Eucharistic fast or the timing of Confession) would make a Spiritual Act of Communion. Perhaps the Spanish community by you is small enough and that sort of community tradition (small "t") is practiced.

I will note that whenever I have gone to Spanish language Mass, they've been huge -- hundreds and hundreds of people there. Given my location, though, that isn't surprising.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ps139

Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
AMDG, thanks for that post, that explains a lot.

Lel, I think I am going to go to more Masses in Spanish. If I had something to read along with, it would be better (like for the Creed and some other prayers, I recited them in English). But I understood most of the Scripture readings (being familiar with the passages also helped a lot!) and the priest, who was a non-native speaker, spoke slow Spanish with enough of an American accent that I understood almost all of the sermon. They have a Spanish Mass in a parish right near me.... I think it would be good to go. I will be going to Spain for 3 weeks this summer and want to know what's going on at Mass there! :)

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
ps139 said:
AMDG, thanks for that post, that explains a lot.

Lel, I think I am going to go to more Masses in Spanish. If I had something to read along with, it would be better (like for the Creed and some other prayers, I recited them in English). But I understood most of the Scripture readings (being familiar with the passages also helped a lot!) and the priest, who was a non-native speaker, spoke slow Spanish with enough of an American accent that I understood almost all of the sermon. They have a Spanish Mass in a parish right near me.... I think it would be good to go. I will be going to Spain for 3 weeks this summer and want to know what's going on at Mass there! :)

The parish I attended this week (which I liked) had bilingual missals in the pews, so I just followed along in Spanish. Had it been in English, I'd have done the same in English, but that's mostly because I'm not totally able to follow along yet. It threw me off a bit that the priest spoke Spanish a bit too slowly and clearly with a noticeable American accent (but with my thick accent who am I to say anything? :D ), but once I got used to it, it was nice.

One great thing about going to Mass in Spanish is that I have to pay attention! I remember the homily from this week much better because I had to pay attention. It means more when I have to pay attention to Mass to understand what's going on.

Enjoy attending Mass in Spanish! One thing to remember though is that Mass in Spain might be very different from Mass in Spanish in the US.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ps139

Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Enjoy attending Mass in Spanish! One thing to remember though is that Mass in Spain might be very different from Mass in Spanish in the US.
Good point. Where I live, Spaniards are a small, small minority of Spanish-speakers. The Mass I went to was 99.9% Mexican (the 0.01% being me ^_^)

One great thing about going to Mass in Spanish is that I have to pay attention! I remember the homily from this week much better because I had to pay attention.
You are so right!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.