Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was kind of saddened today when I remembered that when most Holy Days fall on Mondays, the obligation to attend Mass is abrogated (with the exception of Christmas, and the Immaculate Conception in the US). Tomorrow is the Assumption of the BVM, and one of my favorite feasts. I kind of wish that the USCCB would expect more from Catholics...I mean, we only have 3 or four Holy Days outside of Sundays each year. Is it really that big of a sacrifice for people to go to Mass?

Reactions: plainswolf

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Exactly Carrye!
I'm going to make my best attempt to attend Mass tomorrow (I won't know the schedule till tonight), but I'm helping my mom collate a massive amount of papers, hopefully it won't be an issue (we have to leave at 8 AM, Daily Mass is at 8:30)

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Lorain, Ohio about 30 miles west of Cleveland on L
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
it interests me that i really look forward to Monday mass. Every week. It is cause it is such a cool little family that goes to daily mass. More go on Sat. and of course Sunday is big church but Mon-Fri is my close knit little family

We will celebrate the Assumption tommorrow and it will be good!!

Upvote 0
One difficult aspect of this for me is that my local parish always has an extra Mass on Holy Day's of obligation. One Mass in the morning and another Mass in the evening. Now I work day shift and I'm unable to attend the morning Mass, but I would at least be able to go to the evening Mass after work. But since the Feast of the Assumption is not a Holy day of obligation, they only have a morning Mass tomorrow... Were it not for the fact that I'm still on medical leave till Sept. 2nd, I wouldn't be able to go to Mass tomorrow to honor the Feast of my Queen.. :(

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pax

Veteran
Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Veritas_et_Puritas said:
My home parish is having a Mass tomorrow evening in honour of it.

That's cool. I wish more parishes did stuff like that. Just because there isn't an obligation doesn't mean the feast day is all of a sudden that much less important. Most churches in my area don't have any mass on Mondays. My parish bulletin said "August 15: Assumption (Not a Holy Day of Obligation this year) - No Mass." That was just sad for me. I'll probably end up going to the monastery tomorrow morning....

Upvote 0

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My parish has three Masses tomorrow: 7:15, noon, and 5:30, the last of which is the TLM, which we always have on Holy Days of Obligation.

The next one, by the way, is All Saints, on November 1. The Vigil is also traditionally a day of fasting and abstinence, although canon law no longer requires this (nor is the Vigil still on the calendar).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Irenaeus

Sub tuum praesidium confugimus!
May 16, 2004
USA
✟18,468.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My Parish Priest explained it as a dispensation for Priests who have large congregations and have to do many, many masses; Sunday is a big day and it's hard when there are so little Priests to do all those masses two days in a row.

The Day, as has been said, loses none of its solemnity. I am very anxious to go to Mass!

Upvote 0

Canadian75

Peace-loving Warrior of God
Dec 19, 2004
British Columbia
✟9,834.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you like having Holy Days of Obligation don't come to Canada. We only have two (Dec. 25th and Jan. 1st). Odd considering just under half of our population are Catholics.
Mind you many of the parishes in my city (especially the cathedral) have daily mass and they will be celebrating the mass of the Assumption tomorrow.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wish it were a holy day of obligation regardless of what day it fell on. What's going to hurt us to go to mass on a Monday in order to honor Our Lady? I plan on going tomorrow even though I am short on gas.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.