Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can you not see how, at the very least, this rule is open to appalling exploitation by holding a slave's family hostage, and a very handy loophole for masters to avoid having to free their slaves?
Thank you. You have made yourself clear. And, yes, putting myself in someone else's place is good to do. It is . . . freeing :)

Yes, any rule . . . even a more obviously good one, can be misused. Look at how people have used democracy.

And the worst of things have been used for the best of good > for example, Jesus on the cross using it for loving.

But I get that having maybe an awl put through your ear could be more painful than people getting there ears pierced.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, but I do have difficulty understanding why you see your various attempts as debunking anything. Do you, perchance, provide funding for the welfare of up and coming muggers? Do your feelings about modern day slavery regularly prompt you to do anything about it? What then does your 'anti-slavery' consist of?
Please listen very, very carefully. It's a waste of time having to explain this more than once, and this is at least the fourth time I've done so. It will also be the last, if you insist on refusing to understand me.
In order to be anti-slavery, all you need to do is think that slavery is a bad thing. It doesn't make you a hero if you do so. It's the bare minimum. But it's also the very definition of being anti- anything: to be opposed to it.
I am not, in any sense, in favour of child slavery. The fact that it exists, the fact that I do little if anything about it, even the fact that my existence in some way supports it - these are all regrettable parts of living in an imperfect world. But they have nothing to do with the fact that I am anti-slavery, as I most assuredly am.
This is a difference between me and the writers of the Bible. We both live in worlds in which slavery exist. Maybe none of us can or could do anything about it. But I at least am happy to say that slavery is a bad thing, whereas they obviously considered, and often said, that it was a good thing.

It's getting late in my part of the world now, and I'm going to bed. I thank you for the brevity of your recent posts, and would encourage you to keep your posts short and to the point, if you have anything you wish to add.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Thank you. You have made yourself clear. And, yes, putting myself in someone else's place is good to do. It is . . . freeing :)

Yes, any rule . . . even a more obviously good one, can be misused. Look at how people have used democracy.

And the worst of things have been used for the best of good > for example, Jesus on the cross using it for loving.

But I get that having maybe an awl put through your ear could be more painful than people getting there ears pierced.
Good points!

• Friendly
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In order to be anti-slavery, all you need to do is think that slavery is a bad thing.

I can't see how this is anything but meaningless, particularly in light of the fact that people in the modern world can take anti-slavery actions. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's hard to, really, when you throw such a lot in. Why don't you try making your points more specific and relevant?

One thing you could do is to explain why you believe your ideas about this issue to be a better reflection of the reality of it than the ideas of Maimonides. You might prefer bitesize ideas, but that won't enable you to make any sort of reality-based argument. You could start by demonstrating on what basis you disagree with the conclusions of Maimonides, among others, that the Torah taken as a whole indicates that slavery could not be supported. This would require an examination of the relevant laws and regulations and Maimonides's commentary on them, or you can use an earlier Jewish thinker if you like. This might sound like a lot of work but it is something you could easily cover in a few hours. You can take the same material and explain why your ideas provide a more accurate explanation of it. Picking a few paragraphs and removing them from their context won't do, for obvious reasons, your argument will need to address the same breadth of issues included in regular commentaries and so on over the centuries, again while this might sound like a lot it would involve less time that you put into making points which aren't based on those realities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The fact that it exists, the fact that I do little if anything about it, even the fact that my existence in some way supports it - these are all regrettable parts of living in an imperfect world.

This rather defeats your idea that people in ancient Israel were 'morally inferior' to you for adopting some of the norms of life common to all cultures at the time. Since this is also what you do, what do you believe the actual distinction to be?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In order to be anti-slavery, all you need to do is think that slavery is a bad thing.

The only reason you think that is due to when and where you were born. It is simply factual that had you been born at an entirely different point in time when slavery was an everyday norm, you would have had different ideas about it. Based on observation, I assume you would have settled for whatever superficial bite sized arguments were common at that time, if there were any, as you settle for superficial arguments to form your opinions now. It takes deep thinkers like Maimonides to really question and get to the heart of an issue.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Umm, no, and emphatically not. Such values are certainly not "born" into "typical homo sapiens." No study of ancient or primitive people would support that thesis.
Without revealed absolute rules, I'm not sure where else morality would ultimately emerge from. I think it comes from people pursuing what makes for good living, and shunning what destroys good living.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Without revealed absolute rules, I'm not sure where else morality would ultimately emerge from. I think it comes from people pursuing what makes for good living, and shunning what destroys good living.

That is basically hedonism, which, if raised to a fairly sophisticated level, can produce a good neighborhood.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That is basically hedonism, which, if raised to a fairly sophisticated level, can produce a good neighborhood.
I dont think so. Hedonism has this flavor of seeking after mere sense pleasures. But I think natural human values are broader than that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont think so. Hedonism has this flavor of seeking after mere sense pleasures. But I think natural human values are broader than that.

That's the modern concept of hedonism you're thinking of. Sophisticated hedonism asserts that the human body is a finely tuned moral instrument, and if you do moral wrong it will cause you to feel bad about it. The more sophisticated your hedonism, the more finely you can determine the actions that cause the least woeful feelings, including those in the future.

A sophisticated hedonist understands concepts of delaying immediate gratification for greater later gratification. A sophisticated hedonist also understands the concept of enduring immediate unpleasantness to avoid greater later unpleasantness.

Thus, a sophisticated hedonist will go to war to prevent being enslaved and give to charity to prevent revolution.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You could start by demonstrating on what basis you disagree with the conclusions of Maimonides, among others, that the Torah taken as a whole indicates that slavery could not be supported. This would require an examination of the relevant laws and regulations and Maimonides's commentary on them, or you can use an earlier Jewish thinker if you like.
I would be happy to look through Maimonides' ideas. I found this link here. If you can suggest any more, then I shall read them and get back to you.
The Treatment of Non-Israelite Slaves: From Moses To Moses - TheTorah.com

This rather defeats your idea that people in ancient Israel were 'morally inferior' to you for adopting some of the norms of life common to all cultures at the time. Since this is also what you do, what do you believe the actual distinction to be?
The distinction is this: both of us live in cultures which embrace a kind of slavery (though I would argue that actually owning and punishing a human being is a completely different matter to the "slavery" you are referring to). However, leaving that aside for the moment, the difference is this: I have a moral stance which declares that slavery is bad, and the writers of the Bbile had a moral stance that declared that slavery was quite acceptable.
That is why I am quite happy in saying that I am morally superior to the people who wrote the Bible, just as I'd say I am morally superior towards a Viking a Nazi or a pirate. I consider holding slaves to be an immoral act, and the writers of the Bible did not.
There is no particular credit to me in this. Rather, it's a credit to the society I live in, in which our collective concept of morality has advanced beyond that held in Biblical times.
I hope I can make this plain and clear because it really is a simple concept: our ideas on morality have advanced since the times in which the Bible was written. They thought slavery was a good thing. We do not.
The only reason you think that is due to when and where you were born. It is simply factual that had you been born at an entirely different point in time when slavery was an everyday norm, you would have had different ideas about it. Based on observation, I assume you would have settled for whatever superficial bite sized arguments were common at that time, if there were any, as you settle for superficial arguments to form your opinions now. It takes deep thinkers like Maimonides to really question and get to the heart of an issue.
Goodness me. You're so close to realising the truth. Is it possible we may have a breakthrough here?
Yes. If I had been born in a different time or place I certainly would have had different views on everything. If I had been born in Biblical times, I very likely would have thought that slavery was a good thing. Just as the Bible writers did.

Are you now ready to accept that the Bible is pro-slavery? The Bible, written in these times that you say, if I had been born in them, I would have been happy to accept the existence of slavery?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would be happy to look through Maimonides' ideas. I found this link here. If you can suggest any more, then I shall read them and get back to you.

The distinction is this: both of us live in cultures which embrace a kind of slavery (though I would argue that actually owning and punishing a human being is a completely different matter to the "slavery" you are referring to). However, leaving that aside for the moment, the difference is this: I have a moral stance which declares that slavery is bad, and the writers of the Bbile had a moral stance that declared that slavery was quite acceptable.
That is why I am quite happy in saying that I am morally superior to the people who wrote the Bible, just as I'd say I am morally superior towards a Viking a Nazi or a pirate. I consider holding slaves to be an immoral act, and the writers of the Bible did not.
There is no particular credit to me in this. Rather, it's a credit to the society I live in, in which our collective concept of morality has advanced beyond that held in Biblical times.
I hope I can make this plain and clear because it really is a simple concept: our ideas on morality have advanced since the times in which the Bible was written. They thought slavery was a good thing. We do not.

Goodness me. You're so close to realising the truth. Is it possible we may have a breakthrough here?
Yes. If I had been born in a different time or place I certainly would have had different views on everything. If I had been born in Biblical times, I very likely would have thought that slavery was a good thing. Just as the Bible writers did.

Are you now ready to accept that the Bible is pro-slavery? The Bible, written in these times that you say, if I had been born in them, I would have been happy to accept the existence of slavery?

Lol you started off ok - but then, always with the superficial notions! What do you have against understanding something before snapping to a cool-sounding conclusion? Anyone would think you have an axe to grind rather than a desire to know and understand...that’s as maybe, but although Torah.com is great what you’ll find there are other people’s arguments, which are summaries of an enormous amount of material and perspective etc. How would it be possible to know whether those arguments are valid unless you have a reasonable grasp of the material yourself? The first thing you need to do is let go of your conclusions, not because they are wrong, or right, but because you don’t yet have any means of knowing if they are. Then you can sketch out your own schema of the bible - from a Hebrew perspective, how does it begin, what happens, what’s in the middle and how do the prophets start to reflect the beginning again? From a Christian perspective, how is the law seen and what is it’s fulfilment intended to lead to? Then you can summarise the beginnings and development of the Hebrew nation, how it coalesced and, over time, became distinct from contemporaneous cultures, what was fundamentally different about the principles underlying its beliefs and outlook and what did those lead to? What are the distinctions between the 10 words, the underlying principles that undergird that development and those differences - how is the imperative to pursue positive change fundamentally built into those Words (commands) and what is the significance of the other 593 laws in terms of how they reach for an expression of this imperative to grow and develop? Mapping this out will give you an idea of what it is you are dealing with, then you can start on how all of this was interpreted by Jewish thinkers. Maimonides’s work is a good starting point as it brings it all together, you can find references to other views in there, his writings are very comprehensive and refer back to earlier writings you can look at. I don’t need to tell you how to do research, you can start with the most relevant laws of the slaves and branch out from there, you’ll
find plenty of referenced material to look into. Once you’ve gone through it, you can put together your own argument based on what you know about it. Simply starting off with something you have a need to believe is true, then retrospectively cobbling something together to fill in the gaps won’t do. Maybe you are entirely right, but currently you have no way of knowing whether that is the case or not, as you lack the necessary familiarity with the relevant material to make that determination.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You can think of it as a story arc, if that helps. The initial, ideal state includes a number of fundamental ideas including:

Vegetarianism
Equality between the sexes
Non-violence
Responsible and peaceful stewardship of the earth
Close communion with God and with one another
Monogamy

And others. It’s all there, in the text. These are the only things the bible can safely said to be ‘pro’ about as these are what it sets up as forming the ideal state. Then, as in the most often repeated basic story plot, the status quo is shattered, and the characters then go through a series of trials and difficulties, growing and learning in the process until finally reestablishing an improved version of the original state. The appeal of this kind of story is built into our dna, it’s part of what it means to be human, and it’s also a handy way of organising and evaluating large texts that follow a narrative path. If you disagree with that, you can draw up your own story arc that shows some other progression.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is putting the idea more clearly - why do you think this is? Why, in specific terms, do we no longer practice slavery in the West?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Lol you started off ok - but then, always with the superficial notions! What do you have against understanding something before snapping to a cool-sounding conclusion?
Cool? Terribly kind of you to say so.
But seriously - some questions just don't have a complicated answer.
What were the causes of the First World War? A very complicated question!
But, on the other hand: "Did Britain fight against Germany?" Yes.
How did agriculture develop around the world? That will take some serious research and discussion.
Or, where did potatoes come from? The Americas.
I've said all along, the question of "Is the Bible pro-slavery is a simple one, based on simple evidence; and after pages of listening to you ignore the evidence, the answer seems clearer than ever. The Bible is pro-slavery, as I'll be happy to demonstrate again.
As to why you think it's a complicated question - well, if you took the position that Britain and Germany were allies in the First World War, or that potatoes come from Australia, you'd have to make the argument as complicated as possible, because the clear facts are against you.

although Torah.com is great what you’ll find there are other people’s arguments, which are summaries of an enormous amount of material and perspective etc.
That will do fine for the moment. Before I decide to invest months reading Maimonides, let's see if his arguments are worth investigating in the first place. You say Maimonedes shows that the Bible is antis-slavery (something you've been denying for pages now)? Alright. Let's have a look at it.

From The Treatment of Non-Israelite Slaves: From Moses To Moses - TheTorah.com
Non-Hebrew slaves were considered permanent acquisitions and never had to be freed. The stark contrast is seen best in the Holiness Collection, which, as stated above, denies that Hebrew can ever really be slaves:
Lev 25:42 For they are My servants, whom I freed from the land of Egypt; they may not give themselves over into servitude.—25:43 You shall not rule over him ruthlessly; you shall fear your God. 25:44 Such male and female slaves as you may have—it is from the nations round about you that you may acquire male and female slaves. 25:45 You may also buy them from among the children of aliens resident among you, or from their families that are among you, whom they begot in your land. These shall become your property: 25:46 you may keep them as a possession for your children after you, for them to inherit as property for all time. Such you may treat as slaves. But as for your Israelite kinsmen, no one shall rule ruthlessly over the other.
The rabbis make no attempt to soften this. In fact, at least some voices in rabbinic literature interpret v. 46 not as permission to keep slaves forever but as a commandment to do so (b. Berachot 47b).

…Rav Yehudah said: “Whoever frees his slave has violated a positive commandment, as it says, “You shall work them forever.”
Hmmm. Excellent point. Yes, the Bible does say that. Inhumane? Certainly. God's order? Also certainly. And who are you to question God?

"All Are Formed in the Womb: Job 31:13, 15
Have I ever shunned justice for my slave and maid-servant when they quarreled with me.... Did not He who made me in my mother’s belly make him? Did not One form us both in the womb?
While the previous verse called for supererogatory conduct, this verse demands abiding by the legal duties (משפט) a master owes his slave because, as Job says, both he and the slaves share the same humanity; [10] all are formed in the womb, and every individual emerges from the same physiological processes.[11]"

Yes. And? The same God who formed all people in the womb also determined that some of them were more favoured than others, His "Chosen People," and some of them should be their slaves.
A slave master could quite convincingly answer that he gave his slaves justice if they had a legitimate complaint, and that this did not impinge on his right to own them and to punish them as he saw fit.

"Imitatio Dei : Psalms 145:9 and Deuteronomy 13:18
YHWH is good to all, and His mercy is upon all His works.
And he will show you compassion, and in His compassion increase you as He promised your fathers on oath.
The last verses cited concentrate on the trait of “mercy,” which Maimonides uses to underline the moral of gravity of the benevolent treatment of slaves, regardless of their origins, by raising it to the level of imitatio dei."

Pah. Yahweh also promised His people that they could have slaves, and that they should be theirs to own, work and punish. If you want to imitate God, consider that He owns all people as slaves Himself (as Christians often say). Why, then, should people not own people too? That would really be an imitation of God, showing that He wishes His world to be a hierachy.

"According to Maimonides any differences between individual members of a species are accidental, attributable only to the fickle nature of matter, or their physical constituents, since “[T]here in no way exists a relation of superiority and inferiority between individuals conforming to the course of nature except that which follows necessarily from the differences in the disposition of the various kinds of matter…”[12]
For Maimonides, material success or physical prowess do not in any way indicate superiority over others since they are simply arbitrary consequences of the natural world that do not constitute an “increment in substance.”[13] He then cites, among other verses, the same verse he uses to end the halakha about non-Jewish slaves, Ps. 145:9, to substantiate the principle of divine “beneficence with regard to His creatures…in that He makes individuals of the same species equal at their creation.”[14]"

At their creation, perhaps. But in life, some are brought low and some are brought high. Who can tell why? Perhaps it's just the way God wants it.

Conclusion: Slavery Is Contra Deum

Ps. 145:9 then delivers the philosophical and theological coup de grace to slavery. If God’s “beneficence” is manifest in the equality inherent in human beings “at their creation,” then to exert mastery over another human being subverts God’s governance and constitutes an act contra deum rather than imitatio dei.‍

Coup de grace indeed! The idea that God never wanted people to be slaves, that slavery is contrary to God's wishes, is flatly contradicted by the fact that He Himself orders the enslavement of others.

Then you can sketch out your own schema of the bible - from a Hebrew perspective, how does it begin, what happens, what’s in the middle and how do the prophets start to reflect the beginning again? From a Christian perspective, how is the law seen and what is it’s fulfilment intended to lead to? Then you can summarise the beginnings and development of the Hebrew nation, how it coalesced and, over time, became distinct from contemporaneous cultures, what was fundamentally different about the principles underlying its beliefs and outlook and what did those lead to? What are the distinctions between the 10 words, the underlying principles that undergird that development and those differences - how is the imperative to pursue positive change fundamentally built into those Words (commands) and what is the significance of the other 593 laws in terms of how they reach for an expression of this imperative to grow and develop? Mapping this out will give you an idea of what it is you are dealing with, then you can start on how all of this was interpreted by Jewish thinkers. Maimonides’s work is a good starting point as it brings it all together, you can find references to other views in there, his writings are very comprehensive and refer back to earlier writings you can look at. I don’t need to tell you how to do research, you can start with the most relevant laws of the slaves and branch out from there, you’ll
find plenty of referenced material to look into. Once you’ve gone through it, you can put together your own argument based on what you know about it. Simply starting off with something you have a need to believe is true, then retrospectively cobbling something together to fill in the gaps won’t do.
Oh, thanks! That shouldn't take too long at all. A year or three, perhaps? Maybe, just to be on the safe side, I should learn Judeo-Arabic as well?
I'm sorry, but that's not how a debate works. I'm not going to do your research for you. You say that Maimonides makes a case against slavery in the Bible? Fine. Prove it. This forum exists "to give Christians the opportunity to rationally defend their beliefs." Let's see you make your case, with references. You can't just say "I'm right, you must need to learn more. If you actually understand Maimonides' ideas, then you should be able to argue his case yourself. If you can't or won't do that, I'll have to assume that either you don't understand his arguments yourself, or that his arguments are not sound.

These are the only things the bible can safely said to be ‘pro’ about as these are what it sets up as forming the ideal state.
Since we are not in the Garden of Eden any more, and according to Christian theology, will not be until the end of the world, this is irrelevant. We - and this really can't be mentioned too often - have God Himself in the Bible saying that slavery is fine, telling the Israelites they can take slaves from the lands around them; we have verses in the Bible telling masters how they can treat, take, keep and punish slaves; and we have Jesus' most important followers telling us that slavery is a good thing. It's really not a matter of debate. The Bible tells people to take, keep and punish slaves, and says that slavery is a good thing. Therefore, the Bible is in favour of slavery.
If you think otherwise, let's see you make your case, if you can.

This is putting the idea more clearly - why do you think this is? Why, in specific terms, do we no longer practice slavery in the West?
Now that is a complex question, and the answer is beyond the scope of this debate; ie, a red herring. Let's get back to the point: we have evolved to the point where we consider slavery to be a bad thing. Since you accept this, and you accept that the people who wrote the Bible thought slavery was a good thing, you are conceding - whether you realise it or not - that the Bible is in favour of slavery.

Last edited:
Reactions: cvanwey
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
@InterestedAtheist and @Clizby WampusCat I’m pretty surprised you weren’t able to find anything relevant, using search terms terms related to this thread immediately brings up a whole raft of places to start.
Your goading does not look favorably on you. You provided a name of a person that wrote many things. You needed to be more specific in your sources of what writing you are referencing. I bet you do not agree with everything this man wrote, you need to be specific about which ideas you do agree with.

Edited to add: Specifically, why do you agree with Maimonides on slavery but (I assume) you disagree with him on who Jesus was?

@InterestedAtheist for obvious reasons pro-slavery (or, sadly, many other) Christian groups are not going to use Jewish sources. If you’re not aware of this, the Hebrew Bible and the NT came out of the Hebrew culture, the latter has many Greek influences, but for the most part only via the influence of those on Judaic thought. The quotes you have used mainly refer to periods of Jewish history. One of the basic tenets of anti-semitism that has underpinned much Western thinking for centuries is the complete rejection of Jewish thought as relevant when studying Jewish writings and Jewish history.
Are you calling me an antisemite?

As looking some of this up appears to have defeated you
Why the continued goading? How about we agree to have a conversation without the goading and constant condescension. I will try to do the same.

It is not possible however to understand either the OT or the NT without developing at least some familiarity with the thinking of that culture. Fortunately, much of the relevant material was written down. As looking some of this up appears to have defeated you, here are some of the basic principles, from an ancient world Jewish perspective:

All ownership is custody - everything belongs to God.
Then the Bible is spectacularly misleading when it says:

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly. ~ Lev 25:44-46 NIV.

All people, Jews and Gentiles, men and women are made in God’s image - in the relevant piece of parallel poetry these last 2 together are the final expression of it.

A person ‘owning’ another puts that person in the position of God. This means on the one hand that the ownership is not real ownership (a person cannot be in the position of God - another underlying principle - but can only reflect this in certain relational juxtapositions) but a combination of rights and responsibilities- in brief, the right to have that person perform certain tasks, which can be onerous (non-Hebrew slave) or light (Hebrew slave), and responsibilities for their own actions towards the slave. On the other hand, and more influential on how slavery was actually practised in Hebrew society, is the principle that people are created equal and have obligations towards each other in a general, absolute sense, as in the Mishnah Torah -

‘There in no way exists a relation of superiority and inferiority between individuals conforming to the course of nature except that which follows necessarily from the differences in the disposition of the various kinds of matter...[God has] beneficence with regard to His creatures...in that he makes individuals of the same species equal at their creation...’

These principles led to further codifying and explanation of the law over a long period of time. The laws governing the use of non-Hebrew slaves are similar to earlier laws written down under Hammurabi, those relating to fellow Hebrews were new. The whole lot of laws and principles was codified later by Maimonides, taking these laws, regulations, practices and underlying principles and expressing them in specific and general terms. Some examples (from the Mishnah Torah):

‘As the eyes of slaves to their master’s hand, and like the eyes of a maid servant to her mistress’ hand, so are our eyes to YHWH our God awaiting his favour...we should not embarrass a slave verbally or physically, for the Torah only contemplated work for them not humiliation. Nor should one excessively scream at or exhibit anger with them. Instead, one should speak to them gently, and listen to their complaints. This is explicitly stated with regard to the positive paths of Job for which he was praised, Job 31:13, 15 “Have I ever shunned justice for my slave and maid-servant when they quarrelled with me...Did not He who made me in my mother’s belly make him? Did not One form both in the womb?”

Nb. Chronologically Job is probably the oldest book in the OT, so this last reflects some consistency between early and later views. A reasonable amount can be known about slavery, indentured servitude and so on in the ancient world, and apart from some aberrations (death pits of Ur?) it was until the Roman Empire at least not quite as grim as slavery practised in the US was. Although they are children’s books, “The Ox Boy of Ur” series actually reflects what is known about this period pretty well, and is a very accessible way to get a general overview of practices at that time. Hebrew culture took some of these practices and further codified and developed them over time.

This is getting long so I’ll continue it in more posts.
All well and good but why should I believe this is the correct interpretation when other Christians have a different interpretation?

Also, from all that I have read Maimonides was describing that they should have treated the slaves better than what the book says. He knows that treating the slaves as described in the Torah is immoral and he is trying to make it better.

Anyway since this thread is about if the bible allows slavery this has no bearing. If Maimonides is correct the bible does not agree with him. Maimonides says people cannot be owned by slaves the bible says they are to be your property. They are in contradiction. A long apologetic does not change the words or context of the bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Underlying this codification of laws and behaviours are general principles of the biblical worldview. Whatever 'the fall' represents, some key points for understanding what the bible puts forward as being 'good' or 'bad' are right there in the text. The fall introduces the patriarchy - the clash of wills and the ultimate dominance of the male as described in Genesis 3 describes things as they will be, in contrast to how they had been - relationships of limited ownership - Adam's naming of Eve is a declaration of ownership in the sense of having additional rights over the woman (as later elaborated on in Jewish law) - the list goes on; meat eating, death and so on. Jesus' discussion of divorce is a useful parallel to understanding the differences between the intended state of things and the post-fall, make do with what you have mentality:

'Some pharisees approached Jesus and, to set a trap for him, asked if was permitted for a husband to divorce his wife. Jesus replied:

"What did Moses command you?" (side note - as mentioned earlier in the thread, the Torah is only one part of Jewish law, this reference is not to the Torah. This is an important consideration if your intention is to understand any aspect of life in ancient Israel, such as slavery)

They said

"Moses permitted that the husband could give his wife a certificate of divorce and separate from her"

Jesus then said:

"Moses permitted this because your hearts were hard (other translations have: because you were incapable of understanding the plans of God); but God, when he created humans, he made them man and woman. For this reason, a man will leave his parents and unite with his wife, and the two of them will become one person. So they are no longer two persons, but one. Whatever God has united, let not man tear apart"

See the difference? The principle and the accommodation due to man's weakness. As Malachi has it, a man who divorces his wife 'covers her in violence' - the Hebrew teaching on divorce was that a man can divorce, but that he should not, and that he should be aware that in doing so he is acting in a way that is displeasing to God. Underlying this is yet another fundamental principle; God's interaction with man includes a great deal of leeway and promotes freedom, reflection, and understanding. This perhaps is a topic for another thread, as it would take up a lot of space, but for the most direct understanding of this I'd recommend Auberbach's comparison of the story of Abraham with the Odyssey and David Rosenberg's biography of Abraham.

Slavery, or indentured servitude as many Hebrew scholars have it (no knee-jerk responses please, there are many recorded lectures on this topic available free online, you can watch some and then specify what it is you disagree with and why, based on the relevant context) was likewise subject to both the application of principle and the codification of that into laws, regulations and guidelines. In relation to Hebrew slaves, the guidelines reflect the oft repeated principle that a Hebrew slave is a member of the family - (Kiddushin, 208 - bracketed notes from the original text):

'"Because he is with you" - he must be with (i.e. equal to) you in food and drink, that you should not eat white bread and he black bread, you drink old wine and he new wine, you sleep on a feather bed and he on straw. Hence it was said "whoever buys a Hebrew slave is like buying a master for himself'.

Then why does the bible say differently? The bible does not describe indentured servitude for the non-Hebrews slaves as I have shown.

Attitudes towards slaves bought or (earlier) captured in battle from other cultures were seen very differently, the application of similar principles to the treatment of slaves from nations Israel had been at war with was a longer and more complicated process, hence the practice of the buying and selling of Hebrew slaves was outlawed much earlier than that of buying and selling gentile slaves, which went on until the 12th C. Another principle your arguments seem to indicate you are unaware of, or don't think about, is that any change is gradual. Depending on how society develops over the next few centuries, people in developed societies a few hundred years from now may well be horrified that we tolerated the use of child slaves so we could have mobile phones, alternatively the whole mess may go in a different direction and they will think something else entirely. It is worth thinking about why change is gradual. Anyway, back to the point; regulations and guidelines to promote the humane treatment of gentile slaves did become part of Jewish law over time, both specifically as in regulations forbidding 'no defined limit to the amount or time period of work' and the assigning of 'useless work' to gentile slaves (Mishnah Torah, 'law of slaves' 1.6). This is accompanied by discussion of the need to allow a gentile slave 'a semblance of accomplishment that could salvage some sense of self-worth or empowerment as a human being' [later commentary summarising a large body of work on this issue, Rueven Yaron, Biblical Law] and more generally, as in (Mishnah Torah):

'Cruelty and arrogance are common only among idolaters. By contrast, the descendants of Abraham our patriach, i.e. Israel on whom the holy one, blessed be He, endowed the goodness of the Torah and commanded to observe "righteous statues and judgements" (Deut 4:8) are compassionate to all'

Nb. this principle of righteousness and what it means is illustrated in the description of Joseph and his reaction to finding his young bride to be pregnant - 'because he was a righteous man, he planned to divorce her quietly, so as not to expose her to public disgrace'; although Joseph was permitted by law to humiliate and punish his, as he initially believed, adulterous fiancé, he is described as being righteous for not doing these things. If you familiarise yourself with Jewish writings and practices you will become aware that this is no mere abstract notion but that it translates into an influential set of social obligations and expectations that distinguished Israel from other early nations.

'...and similarly, with regard to the attributes of the Holy One, blessed be He, which He commanded use to imitate, it is written Psalms 145:9: "His mercy is upon all of His works". And whoever shows mercy to others will have mercy shown to him, as implied by Deut 13:18: "He will show show you compassion, and in His compassion mercifully increase you'.

Anyway there are some references to get you started. If either of you has an interest in the OP topic, you can look into it further.
How is this apologetic any different that Christians that try to make the bible say that gay marriage is condoned by the bible?

It seems like you are claiming that the Hebrews did or should have treated slaves better than what the bible describes that they could treat them. Why is this the case?

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Conclusion: Slavery Is Contra Deum

Ps. 145:9 then delivers the philosophical and theological coup de grace to slavery. If God’s “beneficence” is manifest in the equality inherent in human beings “at their creation,” then to exert mastery over another human being subverts God’s governance and constitutes an act contra deum rather than imitatio dei.‍

Coup de grace indeed! The idea that God never wanted people to be slaves, that slavery is contrary to God's wishes, is flatly contradicted by the fact that He Himself orders the enslavement of others.
This is my thought as well, you just made it more clear than I did. If people were not to be considered property or were not to be treated badly by their masters, then why does the bible say that they are property and that they can treat certain slaves badly?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is my thought as well, you just made it more clear than I did. If people were not to be considered property or were not to be treated badly by their masters, then why does the bible say that they are property and that they can treat certain slaves badly?

... because from a God's Eye view, and in biblical terms, sinful human beings are property.......................... of the Devil.

Or of God. It all depending upon what a person decides is the truth about 'the Divine Nature,' of course.

Upvote 0