Visit site
✟1,363.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
and saying "That's good." Then walking away. How many do this in life?

An example could be looking at someone with piercings over many parts of their faces, tattoos on their arms... and saying "Well what do you know, it's a communist" Then walking away without trying to confirm it. Despite the fact that if you asked, you might have found out that the tattoo was a Prayer in Hebrew.

A friend of mine has that tatoo just below her collarbone.

Nooj

Senior Veteran
Jan 9, 2005
Sydney
✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens

An example could be looking at someone with piercings over many parts of their faces, tattoos on their arms... and saying "Well what do you know, it's a communist" Then walking away without trying to confirm it. Despite the fact that if you asked, you might have found out that the tattoo was a Prayer in Hebrew.

I hate it when people get tattoos of languages that they don't even know. Prayers in Hebrew are particularly annoying, because tattoos are forbidden in Judaism (as well as body piercings and other modifications, aside from circumcision) and Hebrew is the liturgical language of Judaism so it is considered holy. Writing it on a human body would most definitely be considered profane. Not to mention the fact that most non-Jewish people wouldn't even know what the Hebrew means, and similarly with people who get Chinese or Latin words because they 'look cool'. If you don't know what they mean, it just makes you look like a fool.

/pet peeve over.

Upvote 0

PantsMcFist

Trying to get his head back under the clouds
Aug 16, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
✟16,177.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I used to dress to be unique and an individual. In the end I decided I would be as average as possible in appearance, and defy any sort of categorical explanation of me. Let them get to know me or not, but I will not fall willingly into a preconceived mold.

Upvote 0

Nooj

Senior Veteran
Jan 9, 2005
Sydney
✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens

Everyone makes some sort of judgement based on appearances. It's impossible not to. Some people even craft their appearances in order to present a certain image of themselves, the judger can't be blamed for coming to the wrong conclusion.

There may be a problem when we treat people differently because of their appearance, but even then it's useful sometimes, such as in safety e.g. 'that guy with knucklebusters looks scary, I think I'm going to sit at the other end of the carriage from him.'

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

How many of us do the reverse?

What do you imagine the people on the forum look like offline?

Upvote 0

cwolf20

Huggee Of haL
Nov 23, 2005
Tennessee
Visit site
✟1,363.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mysteries make for interesting discussions. Personally I find not having a face to talk to makes it easier. I'm nowhere near as talkative off the computer. Post-wise. The number of posts total since the day I started however, mean that I still talk less online than in real life. It all depends on how you look at it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.