Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I had verses listed but as I was read something took me to act which I have been to before but when I looked and read it I knew this would help alot if you read chapter 2 of Acts it talks about the Holy Spirit comes at pentecost. I read this both in NIV and KJV I ususally go by KJV but the NIV is broken down more depends what I am read if you don't have a bible try google.com once you get therre type in something like online bible.:) God Bless you indeed:)

Upvote 0

wannaberichr

Nov 6, 2005
Eastern, NC
✟15,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jillymac has a lot of good references. I've had people try to push me down before also Jilly. I've stood behind people to try to keep the preacher from pushing them down. The funny thing is, he thought I was just praying for them too. Oh well.

Upvote 0

shaslove

On LOA until June 2nd
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2006
Portland, OR
✟30,453.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think as with anything....it can be God and it also can NOT be God.

I was pushed once...but I also have been so overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit that I was out on the floor for 2 hrs....it is amazing.

I think that most of the scriptures that have been said are the ones I would have mentioned.

Upvote 0

bakerdad32

Jul 24, 2005
✟174.00
Faith
Protestant
irenemcg said:
There is no pushing in my Pentecostal Church. Basically what is happening is people being overawed by God's prsence. You don't need hands laid on you to be slain,I have been slain in my own lounge, just spending time with the Lord.

2Ch 5:13 indeed it came to pass, when the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD, and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD, saying:
"For He is good,
For His mercy endures forever,"
that the house, the house of the LORD, was filled with a cloud,
2Ch 5:14 so that the priests could not continue ministering because of the cloud; for the glory of the LORD filled the house of God.

Mat 28:2 And behold, there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat on it.
Mat 28:3 His countenance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow.
Mat 28:4 And the guards shook for fear of him, and became like dead men.

Joh 18:6 Now when He said to them, "I am He," they drew back and fell to the ground.

Act 9:4 Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?"
Act 9:5 And he said, "Who are You, Lord?"
Then the Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads."
Act 9:6 So he, trembling and astonished, said, "Lord, what do You want me to do?"
Then the Lord said to him, "Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do."
Act 9:7 And the men who journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice but seeing no one.
Act 9:8 Then Saul arose from the ground, and when his eyes were opened he saw no one. But they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus.

Rev 1:17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, "Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last.

THat's totally right about heaviness coming over you, when you can no longer stand before an almighty God.
great sciptures took the words right out of my mouth iv'e been slain just praising him i think the reason you are slain is the flesh can not hold up to the spirt of god so it must yeild.:cool:

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I feel to go along with what I was saying earlier you have the real thing but for a real thing you always have a lookalike like there are true christians and virtual christian (don't really believe in it just not to go to hell but will find out it doesn't work b/c God knowes the heart). So I will say you have slain in the spirit which is just an outer apperance of what is going on in the inside of you first in natural than in the spirit. (Fake fallers(this fake fallers is a name I made up for it but virtual christians is a real name for it)

Upvote 0

Laurentius

Dec 26, 2005
✟15,127.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I'm new on the forum... and thought to answer this one.

I have fallen on the floor couple of times (I don't like the word "slain", too agressive). The first time was when I got filled with the Holy Spirit. It was an amazing experience. I had been praying for it for about three years, and I can say it was worth waiting for. In this experience I really understood that Jesus had died for ME. I have been raised in a Christian family, so I have always known it... but after I filled, I really could feel the love of Christ. That is what Holy Spirit does. Falling is never the point, the point is to glorify God.

I believe there is lots of "missuse" of this phenomena. No one should search for experiences, we are supposed to search God and we will get everything we need with it.

Sorry about my bad English. I'm not a native speaker.

Reactions: KleinerApfel
Upvote 0
W

woman.at.the.well

SLAIN means = past tense and past participle often slayed Slang. To overwhelm, as with laughter or love: ex: Those old jokes still slay me

so apparently it means to be overwhelmed by the spirit. So bakerdad32 probably put it most poignantly.

I see the scripture references that irenemcg put up do show someone being overwhelmed by the spirit. Especially Joh 18:6 Now when He said to them, "I am He," they drew back and fell to the ground

So it's possible, correct?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HollyHobbie

Nov 4, 2005
State of confusion
✟16,234.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
irenemcg said:
There is no pushing in my Pentecostal Church. Basically what is happening is people being overawed by God's prsence. You don't need hands laid on you to be slain,I have been slain in my own lounge, just spending time with the Lord.

2Ch 5:13 indeed it came to pass, when the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD, and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD, saying:
"For He is good,
For His mercy endures forever,"
that the house, the house of the LORD, was filled with a cloud,
2Ch 5:14 so that the priests could not continue ministering because of the cloud; for the glory of the LORD filled the house of God.

Mat 28:2 And behold, there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat on it.
Mat 28:3 His countenance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow.
Mat 28:4 And the guards shook for fear of him, and became like dead men.

Joh 18:6 Now when He said to them, "I am He," they drew back and fell to the ground.

Act 9:4 Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?"
Act 9:5 And he said, "Who are You, Lord?"
Then the Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads."
Act 9:6 So he, trembling and astonished, said, "Lord, what do You want me to do?"
Then the Lord said to him, "Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do."
Act 9:7 And the men who journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice but seeing no one.
Act 9:8 Then Saul arose from the ground, and when his eyes were opened he saw no one. But they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus.

Rev 1:17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, "Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last.

THat's totally right about heaviness coming over you, when you can no longer stand before an almighty God.

Irene thankyou for those verses.......when I was Penticostal (now am Southern Baptist long story..) I also had 3 experiences with being slain in the spirit...before I got filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke in tounges and then was later on slain in the Spirit I was very critical and skeptical, of it all. I thought it was something that people do to gain attention and to make themselves look more spiritual than others.

But God changed that last spring when I was at a ladies bible study at an old friends church (which is a Word Of Faith Church ).

It was during the worship time of the Bible study that the Holy Spirit got a hold of me and I felt the presence of the Lord around me ...it was so strong that I began to feel week and my arms went numb and legs went numb and I told my then bible study leader that If this is what being slain in the spirit was then it was happening to me the next thing I new she was behind me and my knees gave out and I was on the floor..

All I could do is cry and sing praises to the Lord the more I sang and cried the heavier I felt I could not move a muscle.....a sense of peace and joy washed over me very much like it did when I got saved .....and they said I laid there for about 40 minutes before I could move . When I got up I was week but yet filled with so much joy and peace the weekness lasted a couple hrs but the Joy and peace remained for nearly a week.

I now no longer think that Pentacostals are wacky though I still find myself wondering how many people are actually filled or slain in the spirit that claim to be .....sometimes it seems so fake., but I know my experiences weren't and thats what matters. So I try to stay focused on myself and God and not others.When I am in a Penticostal church and let God decide how sincere others are.

Its great to have those verse references I have been wanting to study deeper the Slain in the Spirit issues (not sure if thats the word I'm looking for) for a while and you just gave me the push I needed.

Oh even though I am Southeren Baptist now I still hold to some of the penticostal beliefs ......thats why I like to jokingly reffer to myself as a Bapticostal ^_^ .

Well best get going
Love In Christ
Holly Hobbie
Laura:clap:

Upvote 0

DeleseRose

DeleseRose
Jan 24, 2002
USA.
Visit site
✟5,548.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have been slain a couple of times, never counted. And i have to tell you, there were times i knew i was being clensed and times i was just overwhelmed in worship. There are times i'm sure you have felt pent up praise within your soul and you wished to GOD for release and it happens. I have been slain many times in community worship much more than someone laying hands on me. In worship one day i was speaking tongues and i bumped into a friend of mine and my spirit spoke to her spirit(i'm talking of the spirit of GOD) and she was slain in the spirit. The interesting thing about being slain in the spirit is mainly the folks that have experienced it, understands it.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,740.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PaladinDoodler said:
Can someone please tell me how this "slain in the spirit" thing is Biblical? :confused: Please support your statements with verses from the Bible.

:wave:

Falling down under the power/ presence of God?

God caused Adam and Abram to fall into a deep sleep while he worked.

+

1 Kings 7

10 When the priests withdrew from the Holy Place, the cloud filled the temple of the LORD. 11 And the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the LORD filled his temple.

Another version says the priests could not stand up to minister because the presence of the Lord had come.

God's power and presence flattens you. I have heard you teach that God's awesome power and presence comes in one of your services, communion or somethin, so you probably see this quite a lot?

+

Daniel 10:10 NIV
A hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees.

Heres a article with further discussion:

http://www.layhands.com/SlainInTheSpirit.htm

:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.