Six Flood Arguments Creationists Can't Answer!!!

Originally posted by npetreley
Some answers. See varves, for one.

http://www.trueorigin.org/walkergeo01.asp

ROTFL! That has got to be the lamest bunch of creationist hand-waving I've ever read. Thanks, Nick for the daily humor selection.

Here's a couple of howlers:

Much is often made of the Green River varves, in Wyoming, USA. But these bands cannot possibly be annual deposits because well-preserved fish and birds are found all through the sediments.

Apparently the author never heard that the deep waters of many lakes are anoxic, which inhibits decay.

Another argument used against the Bible time-line is that the pre-Flood world could not have produced enough vegetation to make all the coal...The pre-Flood land area was almost certainly greater before all the Floodwaters were released onto the surface of the earth

Apparently the author is not familiar with basic math. Even if there were no oceans, the total land area would only be four times what it is today.

Metamorphic reactions happen quickly when there is plenty of water, just as the Flood would provide.

This is a real doozy! Rock metamorphosis requires intense heat and pressure. Water has nothing to do with it.

Enough. My side hurts from laughing.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by LiveFreeOrDie

I honestly can not believe that fellow Christians would stoop to such depths of fudging scientific facts. I am continually shocked and amazed by the ignorance and/or outright deception set forth by some "creationists". This is not helping the reputation of the Christian community.

Upvote 0

WinAce

Just an old legend...
Jun 23, 2002
In perpetual bliss, so long as I'm with Jess.
Visit site
✟16,806.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah. Such ludicrous adherence to dogma in the face of all common sense and facts is is leading people to other religions and even *gasp* atheism! Be ashamed. Be very, very ashamed of your fellow Christians. :p

Upvote 0
I honestly can not believe that fellow Christians would stoop to such depths of fudging scientific facts. I am continually shocked and amazed by the ignorance and/or outright deception set forth by some "creationists". This is not helping the reputation of the Christian community.
Which makes me wonder at their motivations for continuing to do so. Are they trying to manipulate and control the faithful to keep them in line, or are they deliberately trying to dismantle Christianity? As far as I know, the Catholic Church officially accepts evolution as fact; why don't the others?

- Joe

Upvote 0
Originally posted by humblejoe

And remember, too, that this link was posted by npetreley -- a guy who continually bashes scientists for their supposed bias. The link obviously was not posted because of its scientific merit (it has none), so the only other reason I can think that Nick posted it is because it affirms HIS preconceived biases. Such a double standard seems rather hypocritical.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Joe V.

Which makes me wonder at their motivations for continuing to do so. Are they trying to manipulate and control the faithful to keep them in line, or are they deliberately trying to dismantle Christianity? As far as I know, the Catholic Church officially accepts evolution as fact; why don't the others?

- Joe

Oh, that's easy. The Catholic Church is the "harlot of Babylon". :rolleyes:

I'm a Calvinistic Christian, and I accept evolution as a valid possibility. Then again, mainstream Christians don't like Calvinists either. :D ;)

Upvote 0
Originally posted by npetreley
Some answers. See varves, for one.

http://www.trueorigin.org/walkergeo01.asp

LFOD: ROTFL! That has got to be the lamest bunch of creationist hand-waving I've ever read. Thanks, Nick for the daily humor selection.

Here's a couple of howlers:

Walker: Much is often made of the Green River varves, in Wyoming, USA. But these bands cannot possibly be annual deposits because well-preserved fish and birds are found all through the sediments.

LFOD: Apparently the author never heard that the deep waters of many lakes are anoxic, which inhibits decay.

Not only that, but there is not all that "much" made of the Green River varves. Walker gives no reference to support this statement. I have never seen anyone make a big deal about the Green River Formation varves. Furthermore, as far as I know the fossils and the varves are in different places (the Green River Basin is a very big place) and there is some question as to whether they are varves at all.

Walker: Metamorphic reactions happen quickly when there is plenty of water, just as the Flood would provide.

This is a real doozy! Rock metamorphosis requires intense heat and pressure. Water has nothing to do with it.

You are quite correct. In fact, the presence of water normally inhibits prograde metamorphic reactions.

Upvote 0

ZoneChaos

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2002
Kansas City, MO
Visit site
✟15,032.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
 That is, if you really care what science has to say about things. [/B]

What Does Science have to say about the supernatural power of God, and the affect it and God's will have on the physical universe? 

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sauron

Jun 14, 2002
Seattle
✟2,482.00
Originally posted by Lanakila
By definition the "supernatural" is not according to natural laws.

So you have no proof for it.

And when someone points that out to you, your response is "What did you expect? It's beyond natural law."

In which case, it can't be observed, can't be measured, can't be reliably reproduced, and you can't give us any proof for it. Remind me again: exactly *why* do you believe in something like that in the first place? How can you be sure it even happened? What's to differentiate it from hallucination, hysteria, or simply accidental self-deception?

Perhaps now you understand why belief is god is equated to belief in fairies, pixies, and elves - or to invisible talking unicorns. All such beliefs are:

* (allegedly) supernatural events;
* no such 'event' leaves behind any proof;
* the believers in such events continue to believe in spite of no supporting evidence;
* there is no way to disprove any such 'supernatural' event; and
* believers in such an 'event' insist stridently that they are correct, and are impervious to evidence to the contrary

Of course, this also means that all other such 'supernatural' events from non-christian religions are also true - and in order to be consistent, christians have to acknowledge that.

Or else, they have to provide the mechanism by which they accept one set of unprovable supernatural claims, while rejecting another set of unprovable supernatural claims. It's not an enviable position to be in; I don't mind telling you that I wouldn't want to have to justify that kind of position. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by ZoneChaos

What Does Science have to say about the supernatural power of God, and the affect it and God's will have on the physical universe? 

Well, we might expect to see evidence of things that could only happen if one suspended natural laws to get something done.

But we don't....

That tricky fundimentalists god was sneaky and hid all of his miracles like creation, the flood and babel and made it all look like it happened naturaly over long periods of time. But we all know he did them supernaturaly and only covered his tracks so he could trick more people into going to hell.

Upvote 0

Lanakila

Not responsible for the changes here.
Jun 12, 2002
Nestled in the Gorgeous Montana Mountains
Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There is evidence for miraculous things happening, eyewitness testimony for example. But, you reject that as possibly flawed. I was just defining supernatural, and saying asking for proof for the supernatural by natural means, i.e. the scientific method goes against the definition.

Upvote 0
1BAD350 wrote
and god created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind, and god saw that it was good.

dosent even the theory of evolution support this verse of the bible, life originated in the oceans, as well did birds. this was on gods fourth day, on the fith day , god made todays animals such as cows and horses and stuff, and on the sixth day he created man.

You should really read the text more carefully.
God made the Sun, Moon, and stars on the fourth day, the sea creatures on the fifth day, and the land animals on the sixth.
Adam was actually created on the third day before the plants. It was on the sixth day that God split Adam into Adam and Eve.

Upvote 0