Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What are the most frequently encountered sins that you have to cope with? Not the worst sins, but the everyday type.

What helps in your effort to be a better person?

(NB. This is not meant to be a discussion on salvation.)
Do you mean habitual sin?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are the most frequently encountered sins that you have to cope with? Not the worst sins, but the everyday type.

To answer your question and to share in a common context, I will alter the question by changing the word "sins" to "temptations."

"What are the most frequently encountered temptations that you have to cope with?"

All the sin of the world originates in three areas.
  1. Lust of the flesh.
  2. Lust of the eyes.
  3. The pride of life.

1 John 2:16 KJV
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes,
and the pride of life
, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

An important factor in the discussion is that these are common to all men.
1 Corinthians 10:13 KJV
13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful,
who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also
make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Paul spoke to the Hebrews and stated there was a particular sin that "so easily beset them."
In their case it was unbelief.
Hebrews 12:1 KJV
1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses,
let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with
patience the race that is set before us,

In my case, as with many men, it is the "lust of the eyes." I must take great care to turn away and not let the temptation take hold. My old preacher friend used to say, "You cannot help when a bird flies over your head, but you do not have to let it build a nest in your hair." And this is true. As the world of entertainment and the arts become darker and more wicked, I find that more and more, I have to draw away completely. I trust what Paul said about the faithfulness of God to save us in this.

" but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape,"

Keep an eye out for that escape He is so faithfully making for you.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd say impatience. I want things done now. You don't feel like you have control. A lot of time spent waiting. Anxious. Sin b/c makes it hard to live in the moment.

Dwelling on the Word, only place you find rest & freedom from anxieties. Anything else just adds to it.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The word "sin" implies a religious transgression. In my case, it would have to be atheism. I believe in matter/energy and the fundamental forces of nature. I don't believe in any kind of supernatural supreme being. This also includes all the gods of all religions. Along with angels, devils, demons, spirits, ghosts, immortal souls, incubi, succubi, and anything else that's claimed to be beyond the realm of matter/energy. As I see it, these are all products of the human imagination.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The word "sin" implies a religious transgression. In my case, it would have to be atheism. I believe in matter/energy and the fundamental forces of nature. I don't believe in any kind of supernatural supreme being. This also includes all the gods of all religions. Along with angels, devils, demons, spirits, ghosts, immortal souls, incubi, succubi, and anything else that's claimed to be beyond the realm of matter/energy. As I see it, these are all products of the human imagination.
I just find it odd that people who do not believe in something identify themselves and proceed to spread a significant portion of their lives, crusading against the very thing they claim is someone else's imagination. If you do not believe in it, pull up and be on your way!
I do not believe in Santa, the tooth fairy, or cows that fly... but I do not spend a huge amount of my life and mental effort to discredit them. What is the point? Life is too short to assail something I do not believe in. Atheists are just odd in this way. Which is stranger? Believing is something that is invisible, or spending your life actively crusading against it and sailing those that do. Makes no sense.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I just find it odd that people who do not believe in something identify themselves and proceed to spread a significant portion of their lives, crusading against the very thing they claim is someone else's imagination. If you do not believe in it, pull up and be on your way!
I do not believe in Santa, the tooth fairy, or cows that fly... but I do not spend a huge amount of my life and mental effort to discredit them. What is the point? Life is too short to assail something I do not believe in. Atheists are just odd in this way. Which is stranger? Believing is something that is invisible, or spending your life actively crusading against it and sailing those that do. Makes no sense.
I'm not crusading against religious belief. Did I mention any specific religion or type of worship in my post? I was just stating my belief that supernatural entities are man-made. And that rejecting such entities would be considered sinful. Which is in keeping with the topic of this thread.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not crusading against religious belief. Did I mention any specific religion or type of worship in my post? I was just stating my belief that supernatural entities are man-made. And that rejecting such entities would be considered sinful. Which is in keeping with the topic of this thread.
You are right... you included all of them, which includes each individually.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
In the Lutheran tradition we are reminded that our sins are so many, that it would actually be impossible to try and recount all of them when we come and make Confession of them. Which is why we understand that our General Confession, "We have sinned against You in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done and what we have left undone" which we pray at every Divine Service is sufficient. And that specifying certain sins, such as before a private confessor, is not necessary, but can be beneficial for the sake of unburdening our guilt through the declaration of the forgiveness which is ours in Christ by His death and resurrection.

In that sense, it is impossible to really answer the question what our daily sins are; because chances are we are not even entirely aware of many or even most of our sins. They are myriad.

But each of us, almost certainly, can think of certain sins, certain things we did or failed to do; perhaps it was just that one particular lousy day, or perhaps it is something we regularly are struggling against.

Each person's particular struggle is different. But I imagine there are plenty of common struggles: pride, lust, anger, envy, intemperance. Someone cuts us off in traffic and we curse; we might still be holding a grudge against someone, or maybe a group of people, and when we think about that person or those people our heart becomes callous and hardened against them and we fail to forgive them yet again; and perhaps don't even acknowledge that we should be repenting of it. We might see and lust after another person and, perhaps even for just a moment (or perhaps we allow the thought to linger longer) we transform a living breathing person created in God's image to become a mere object of our sexual appetites in our mind--and also if we are married or in committed relationships therefore betray our spouse or significant other in our thoughts and desires. We might be late to getting our lunch that day, and become irritated and impatient with the people making our food that they are taking too long, or perhaps we are irritated that there are so many people there in front of us; prioritizing our wants for immediate gratification over the needs of others. And perhaps, even worse, we do not merely allow this impatience and irritation to fester in our minds and hearts, but we do not control the tongue and then speak poisoned words to others, mistreating them simply because we were impatient, or as though what we wanted was more important than what others need or want.

All of, or at least most of, these things I am guilty of. And I imagine most would acknowledge they are guilty of these too, at least some days.

But because circumstances can be so highly varied, and the many permutations of what can go through our mind, what can be felt in our heart, and the many possible ways these things can explode or enter out through our mouth or our actions into the world and toward others around us is so vast. And because we do not always even always recognize the wrong as wrong--perhaps we justify it to ourselves in the moment, and do not even consider to repent of it even later, or even forget all about it an hour, or a few days later, we just continue on as though we had done nothing wrong. New day, new trials, nevermind what I did yesterday.

But sin, in every form, in every way it permeates our mind, our heart, our words, our actions, and our general expression of ourselves in this world is so toxic and disastrous and destructive. It consumes us from within, it destroys others, it destroys ourselves, it kills us, it kills our relationships with other people. It is poison. Our minds, our bodies, our hearts, and our souls are corrupted by it, consumed by it, destroyed by it.

It is not always the obvious and "big" sins that often wreak the most destructive harm on us--but all the hidden and "little" sins that accumulate and fester and worm their way into our hearts to not just destroy us, but even would seize the opportunity to shipwreck our faith in Christ if given free reign that is truly a disaster.

When Scripture says, "Make sure your sins find you out", it speaks vast amounts of wisdom. Our sin must be exposed, either to the cleansing fire of repentance, or else it will be exposed to the fire of the Day of Judgment. But either way, everything will be exposed; but better to be burned by the healing grace found in repentance which purifies; than to be burned in the all consuming Judgment that awaits us all on the Last Day.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,450.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Having my marrow bones dug up and taken!!!! That makes me VERY ANGRY!!!

02375907da5f755ef64789d15ee2ebc3.jpg

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

To the first, lust, and being provoked to wrath and anger.

To the second, getting to know the truth, and fully following God.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

To persevere, till my time of fainting at the sight of soundness turns into experiencing a steadfast faith. WooHoo! :)

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0