Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I notice I (and I'm sure most amatuer vocalists do) have a tendency to default to a higher vocal range when singing. My question is what tips or techniques do others use to help keep their vocals in a more natural range?

So earlier I was practicing a song I plan on singing, Key of B. On a keyboard I was able to match the tone and stay within myself, a very baritone range. But I will be playing guitar when performing so I got my 6 string and literally the first note without even thinking I shot right up to probably a full octave higher than what I practiced. Wasn't really able to bring the range any lower either.

So yeah, besides practice (which I am doing and will continue doing) can I do to help keep myself within my range? Any helpful advice is appreciated

• Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The most helpful advice I can give in singing / learning something is recording yourself. You can do fairly well with an entry level microphone and a user friendly computer program. That's how I actually learned how to stay in key. It can be rather daunting; especially if your not used to how you sound. But once you've figured out how you want to sing the song; from there it's just rehearsing it over and over again until it becomes second nature and you don't have to "think" about what your singing. There's no "trick" it's just repetition.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The most helpful advice I can give in singing / learning something is recording yourself. You can do fairly well with an entry level microphone and a user friendly computer program. That's how I actually learned how to stay in key. It can be rather daunting; especially if your not used to how you sound. But once you've figured out how you want to sing the song; from there it's just rehearsing it over and over again until it becomes second nature and you don't have to "think" about what your singing. There's no "trick" it's just repetition.

I figured as much. I have GarageBand on my iPad, and will probably utilize the keyboard on that whenever I get the free time to practice, maybe even the guitar feature as well.

Upvote 0