Tpage

Professional
Nov 21, 2010
✟15,210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many say smoking and drinking is SIN. Is it? Lets take a look at a few things.

Deut 14:22-26

22Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
23And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
24And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
25Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose: 26And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

* Bestow that money for wine or strong drink.

John 2:1-3, 7-11

1And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:
2And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage. 3And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.
7Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim.

8And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it.
9When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom,
10And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now. 11This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.

* Jesus first miricle he made wine from water

Luke 7:33-34

33For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil. 34The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

* Jesus was called a winebibber. Its neither smoking nor drinking so what is it?

1 John 3:4 4Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

* Sin is the transgression of the LAW!

Yeisu

All my hope is in Christ
Nov 6, 2010
✟15,178.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sin is disobedience toward God. Idolatry is one of biggest in America today. Whenever something is on our mind more than God it has the chance of being elevated to idol status. Whatever consumes our mind the most is our "god". On your day off if you play and entertain yourself by going out to see a movie for hours and then spend only a few minutes with God in prayer and meditation on the Word of God, God wouldnt be happy with that.

My god used to be call of duty. Then it changed to cigarettes. Then it changed to weed. Then it changed to cocaine. Now my god is the one true God, and He is a consuming fire, consuming my thoughts more than anything else in Christ.

Now Ive gave up all carnal things and desires of the flesh. Bitterness, envy, strife, anger, hatred, lust of the eyes, flesh and the pride of life, idolatry, socery, adultery, unforgiveness, these things we must put to death by the Spirit.

If we let Christ consume us, we will prevail in sin in His strength and grace; He is mighty to save. But before we do that we must completely submit to the total will of God, for there is no partiality with God (Romans 2:11).

Where in the Bible is the drinking of wine forbidden?, but the Bible says 'do not be drunk with wine'? Being drunk is being totally out of control, if people know what self control is they can drink small portions and not be drunk...correct me if Im wrong about this whole concept?

Personally I dont drink or smoke cigarettes anymore because I fear God. I dare not defile the temple of the living God anymore, which are our bodies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ifightdwagons

the water, the Spirit and the blood; 1 John5:8
Nov 28, 2010
✟8,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Committing the sin of Jeroboam would be akin to committing blasphemy against the holy spirit. Worship of other Gods, idolatry basically. This can be done in a number of ways but I don't want to share these things :). Having said that:

Ecclesiastes 7:20
For there is not a just man on earth who does good And does not sin.

Even if I for instance can go without sinning for a long time, does it matter? You do know you sin with the thoughts of your heart? Everyone has done murder, theft, adultery, idolatry, blasphemy, homosexuality, evil eye, everything else that is written you shouldn't do. Now the bible says the Holy Spirit is likened to rivers of flowing water, that also your heart is circumcised, the law is written in your heart etc.

Where in the bible does it say drinking and smoking is bad? I don't do either, and never will, but where does it say that it's bad? Don't add things or take away from the word... much how like we're forgiven of sin through faith.. not by asking for forgiveness xP

Upvote 0

Tpage

Professional
Nov 21, 2010
✟15,210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sin is disobedience toward God. Idolatry is one of biggest in America today. Whenever something is on our mind more than God it has the chance of being elevated to idol status. Whatever consumes our mind the most is our "god". On your day off if you play and entertain yourself by going out to see a movie for hours and then spend only a few minutes with God in prayer and meditation on the Word of God, God wouldnt be happy with that.

My god used to be call of duty. Then it changed to cigarettes. Then it changed to weed. Then it changed to cocaine. Now my god is the one true God, and He is a consuming fire, consuming my thoughts more than anything else in Christ.

Now Ive gave up all carnal things and desires of the flesh. Bitterness, envy, strife, anger, hatred, lust of the eyes, flesh and the pride of life, idolatry, socery, adultery, unforgiveness, these things we must put to death by the Spirit.

If we let Christ consume us, we will prevail in sin in His strength and grace; He is mighty to save. But before we do that we must completely submit to the total will of God, for there is no partiality with God (Romans 2:11).

Where in the Bible is the drinking of wine forbidden?, but the Bible says 'do not be drunk with wine'? Being drunk is being totally out of control, if people know what self control is they can drink small portions and not be drunk...correct me if Im wrong about this whole concept?

Personally I dont drink or smoke cigarettes anymore because I fear God. I dare not defile the temple of the living God anymore, which are our bodies.

I never stated drinking and smoking was a sin. It was merly a rhetorical question. What I was trying to show is what the book says.

John 2 stated Jesus first mircle was turning water into wine. So sin can't be drinking.

Lets look at the wages of sin:
Romans 6:23 23For the wages of sin is death;

Romans 5:12
12Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin;

Upvote 0

Tpage

Professional
Nov 21, 2010
✟15,210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Committing the sin of Jeroboam would be akin to committing blasphemy against the holy spirit. Worship of other Gods, idolatry basically. This can be done in a number of ways but I don't want to share these things :). Having said that:

Ecclesiastes 7:20
For there is not a just man on earth who does good And does not sin.

Even if I for instance can go without sinning for a long time, does it matter? You do know you sin with the thoughts of your heart? Everyone has done murder, theft, adultery, idolatry, blasphemy, homosexuality, evil eye, everything else that is written you shouldn't do. Now the bible says the Holy Spirit is likened to rivers of flowing water, that also your heart is circumcised, the law is written in your heart etc.

Where in the bible does it say drinking and smoking is bad? I don't do either, and never will, but where does it say that it's bad? Don't add things or take away from the word... much how like we're forgiven of sin through faith.. not by asking for forgiveness xP

You miss understood my statement. It was rhetorical. Smoking and drinking can't be a sin if Jesus turned water into wine. Also they called Jesus a wine bibbler (Luke7)

Lets look at the wages of sin:
Romans 6:23 23For the wages of sin is death;

Romans 5:12
12Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin;

Upvote 0

Tpage

Professional
Nov 21, 2010
✟15,210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How can you defile something that's already defiled?

* Remember what the wages of sin is.

Romans 6:23
23For the wages of sin is death;

And remember what the book says:

Exodus 32: 30-33
30And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses said unto the people, Ye have sinned a great sin: and now I will go up unto the LORD; peradventure I shall make an atonement for your sin.

31And Moses returned unto the LORD, and said, Oh, this people have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold.
32Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written. 33And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.

So you can get blotted out of the book of life by your sinning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

Cassidy

what do you mean by this ?

I mean our temple is our body and our body is already defiled with sin. It's already dead, a corpse of you will. Never the less nothing whatsoever can purify and nothing can defile it anymore than it already is.

* Remember what the wages of sin is.

Romans 6:23
23For the wages of sin is death;

And remember what the book says:

Exodus 32: 30-33
30And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses said unto the people, Ye have sinned a great sin: and now I will go up unto the LORD; peradventure I shall make an atonement for your sin.

31And Moses returned unto the LORD, and said, Oh, this people have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold.
32Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written. 33And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.

So you can get blotted out of the book of life by your sinning.

Well actually not anymore. That was the case under the old covenant which is why they had to do sacrifice for the sin time and time again. Now however, in Christ we are covered by his blood and his sacrifice covers our sin once and for all. My name is written in his blood and will never ever be blotted out.

Upvote 0

Yeisu

All my hope is in Christ
Nov 6, 2010
✟15,178.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How can you defile something that's already defiled?

I think you took it the wrong way, or I said it the wrong way. I dont poison the temple of the living God anymore with unholy things or being unholy. "Be holy, for I am holy", those are God's words not mine. I use to smoke pot, cigarettes and snort cocaine almost everyday, I dont think thats holy at all according to the word of God. Just because were defiled dosent mean we should continue in defilence. What are you trying to accomplish with this question? I know Im a sinner deserving of death, thanks. You dont know anything about my sin and how unworthy I am, but I thank God for His grace.

Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

I think you took it the wrong way, or I said it the wrong way. I dont poison the temple of the living God anymore with unholy things or being unholy. "Be holy, for I am holy", those are God's words not mine. I use to smoke pot, cigarettes and snort cocaine almost everyday, I dont think thats holy at all according to the word of God. Just because were defiled dosent mean we should continue in defilence. What are you trying to accomplish with this question? I know Im a sinner deserving of death, thanks. You dont know anything about my sin and how unworthy I am, but I thank God for His grace.

I never claimed to know anything about your sin, I was simply asking a question.

Upvote 0

Yeisu

All my hope is in Christ
Nov 6, 2010
✟15,178.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I never claimed to know anything about your sin, I was simply asking a question.

I apologize if I made any assumptions, but can you show me the scripture that says our bodies are defiled after we are born again by the Holy Spirit? If you can show me I will repent.

Upvote 0

Tpage

Professional
Nov 21, 2010
✟15,210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I mean our temple is our body and our body is already defiled with sin. It's already dead, a corpse of you will. Never the less nothing whatsoever can purify and nothing can defile it anymore than it already is.

Well actually not anymore. That was the case under the old covenant which is why they had to do sacrifice for the sin time and time again. Now however, in Christ we are covered by his blood and his sacrifice covers our sin once and for all. My name is written in his blood and will never ever be blotted out.

Well if your name can't be blotted out then why does the sciptures tell you to endure til the end.

Matthews: 24:13
13But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
*you have to endure until the end to be saved.

Hebrews 6:15
15And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.
*Once again he obtain th promise after he endure until the end.

Hebrews 12:1-4

1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. 4Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

*Jesus had to walk in this flesh and endure the same temptations as we do until the end and then he set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

Cassidy

I apologize if I made any assumptions, but can you show me the scripture that says our bodies are defiled after we are born again by the Holy Spirit? If you can show me I will repent.

I don't need to show you a scripture. Everyone knows that our flesh has not yet been redeemed and is still dead in sin. Have a look in the mirror...see those wrinkles? Result of sin (don't worry I've got them too ;) ) We will stop rotting, once we have been made incorruptible, until that time we are corrupted by sin (bodies...not spirit)

Well if your name can't be blotted out then why does the sciptures tell you to endure til the end.

Matthews: 24:13
13But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
*you have to endure until the end to be saved.

Hebrews 6:15
15And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.
*Once again he obtain th promise after he endure until the end.

Hebrews 12:1-4

1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. 4Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

*Jesus had to walk in this flesh and endure the same temptations as we do until the end and then he set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Any good parent (as God is) warns their children of impending danger...and every good parent (as God is) teaches their children of danger so well that the child never departs from it. I believe that it's God that keeps us until the end and the 'warnings' are ONE of the ways in which he does it. And because we are God's sheep we hear his voice and follow him.

So no...my name is written by the blood of Christ and I have full faith in my saviour to know that it will not be blotted out! God will not fail!

Upvote 0
G

gideons300

Many say smoking and drinking is SIN. Is it? Lets take a look at a few things.

Deut 14:22-26

22Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
23And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
24And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
25Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose: 26And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

* Bestow that money for wine or strong drink.

John 2:1-3, 7-11

1And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:
2And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage. 3And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.
7Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim.

8And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it.
9When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom,
10And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now. 11This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.

* Jesus first miricle he made wine from water

Luke 7:33-34

33For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil. 34The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

* Jesus was called a winebibber. Its neither smoking nor drinking so what is it?

1 John 3:4 4Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

* Sin is the transgression of the LAW!

In my opinion, many issues have no clear answer in scriptures. Does that mean it is ok for us to partake? Not necessarily.

Paul tells us that eating meat offered to idols is one of those issues that faced early believers. Many said it was an abomination, others said all things were permitted.

In essence, the second group was more correct in that we are taught that all things are lawful unto me but all things are not expedient. The Holy Spirit inside each of us shows us what is sin for us, which may be totally acceptable for others.

How is this possible? Can drinking for one be a sin and for another totally acceptable, in moderation? Yes, it can. Why? Becasue the true new testament definition of sin to each of us is "Whatsoever is not of faith is sin." What does the spirit whisper in our ear? Obey it. Do not look to others to silence your conscience, for to do so is to violate the spirit's leading and thus, to fall into disobedience.

Now, if one has far reaching liberty in the things he allows in his life, fine, if he is truly seeking for God's will to be done in his life. But he must be careful that his liberty is not a stumblingblock for others. If a man has wine with dinner and a brother comes to eat who is not a drinker, leave the wine in the cabinet. Love must be the ultimate goal.

Blessings,

Bruce

Upvote 0