Sin or not? (moved)

theniceiceman

May 8, 2015
✟15,762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am sorry, but I suffer from binge eating disorder and have since the age of #, and I am #now, and have done and tried everything including #months at a #day a week outpatient eating disorder clinic to no avail.

Eating disorders, especially this serious and long standing are NOT gluttony and will not tolerate for a second anyone calling me that - it is bad enough to be called a fatso, a fat a**, a pig, etc, the last thing us sufferers of this miserable disease or psychological disorder is to be told in addition to being a pig we are sinners as well.

God looks at us and knows exactly why we do every single thing that we do. Binge-eating is more often than not due to psychological/emotional pain and is often (if not always) intermingled with other mental illnesses. These are real illnesses that have been proven to exist by science and medicine. I totally agree that it's not gluttony. We're not eating like we do because we're pigs and don't care about what God wants; we eat like we do because we're hurting so much, for whatever reason, and food is how we cope with it. God knows that. Good for you for standing up for yourself! I totally agree. I'm truly sorry that you've been suffering with this horrid disease for so long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

SHETALKSTOANGELS

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2016
NY
✟1,611.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
God looks at us and knows exactly why we do every single thing that we do. Binge-eating is more often than not due to psychological/emotional pain and is often (if not always) intermingled with other mental illnesses. These are real illnesses that have been proven to exist by science and medicine. I totally agree that it's not gluttony. We're not eating like we do because we're pigs and don't care about what God wants; we eat like we do because we're hurting so much, for whatever reason, and food is how we

cope with it. God knows that. Good for you for standing up for yourself! I totally agree. I'm truly sorry that you've been suffering with this horrid disease for so long.

You've truly lived up to your user name ! You are also correct. Not only do I have binge eating disorder I have OCD, depression, anxiety, insomnia and panic disorder. I take # anti depressants and #anti anxiety meds a day to try to hold it together. You are also right that for people such as myself who emotionally bleed to death daily, food is novacaine, even if for an hour.

Bless you.
:heartpulse:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread is being moved to Christian Advice from Eating Disorders as, per the Recovery Guidelines, discussion of ethical or moral issue is not allowed.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't know. Paul seems to be very clear.

Amygotgrace: Many people want to overlook what scripture says about things, nobody got to tell me that I have a problem with gluttony, because I do. Whether people say whatever, it don't take away that it comes down to being gluttonous and us who are over indulging in eating are lacking self control. The other thing I found out is that I wasn't just lacking self control in the area of eating, I was lacked in believing what the bible says, I was allowing what others say to have more influence over me than what the bible says.
It is good that you recognize that you lack self control...it could be there be other areas that you struggle also...evaluate yourself, ask the Lord to help with that.
Repentance isn't a dirty word, it's what we're to do when we err.

Many of us substitute one thing for another. I see this with people who have beaten smoking cigarettes but unfortunately they started consuming coffee like crazy... I know some who have been sexually abused and they "comforted" themselves with food, drink or drugs.

Take up the full armor of God....Ephesians 6:10-18. Study on the full armor here: http://www.christianarsenal.com/Christian_Arsenal/Full_Armor_of_God.html
It's a battle all christians face, the battle for the mind, the enemy come against you there because once your thoughts get skewered your walk with the Lord is deeply hindered or derailed. Recognize how the enemy/devil works, he can't have you but he will surely set about to derail your faith walk any way that he can. The enemy(the devil or a false teacher) comes to steal, kill and destroy(John 10:10)...and what the enemy is going after isn't just your happiness or your job, the enemy wants to steal the Word from you, kill the Word, and utterly destroy God's Word.
A believer(branch) who isn't abiding in the vine be powerless, a believer(branch) has to abide in the true Vine(the Lord)...John 15:5

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not going to feel like I have to be ashamed of calling sin what it is: sin.

gluttony is a sin in the Christian faith.

I am a sinner.

I repent every day and ask for forgiveness in the name of jesus, as well as guidance thru the holy spirit and the scriptures

Upvote 0