Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because sometimes it's easier to throw money at a problem instead of getting to the root of the issue. The crippled man was begging for money, but his real need was healing, and that's what Peter offered him.
Or let me frame the question another way...when someone comes forward in your church wanting prayer for healing, do you simply hand this person a $20 and move on to the next person in line?

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love this story (I’ve used it several times):

One day, as he was showing Thomas Aquinas the glories and wealth of the Vatican, the Pope remarked, "We cannot say with Peter of old, silver and gold have I none"

To which Thomas replied, "Nor can we say, 'Such as I give to thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.'"

~Jim

“We were made not primarily that we may love God but that God may love us. ~C.S. Lewis

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't typically carry cash on me. So if a beggar came up to me on the street and looked at me expecting to receive something, I might well say, "Sorry, I don't have any money". I don't think anyone would think I was saying I didn't have any money, but would rightly conclude that I didn't have any money on me.

:cool:

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They were headed to The Temple !!!! :doh:
Do you honestly think they would have left their money at home?

Sure. I quite often go to church with no money. What's the big deal about that?

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'm with Pete... Peter didn't have any money with him at the time. No big deal. I rarely carry cash as well.

This is backed up by the Greek hyparcho which literally means to have to hand or to have ready. In Acts 3 the verse is in the simple present tense meaning right now, so an accurate translation would be:

At this exact moment, I do not have silver or gold to hand...

I once read Matthew Henry's commentary on this and I got really excited as he talked about the power of Jesus to heal cripples today. Then he ruined it by saying that Jesus can today only heal crippled souls!

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
They were headed to The Temple !!!! :doh:
Do you honestly think they would have left their money at home?

Yes I do. Why are you assuming he needed to have his money on this trip? Feel free to quote Mosaic law or even tradition on this one, I'm dying to hear it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No checkbook or credit card either?

[tongue planted firmly in cheek]
Yeah. I'd just ask the poor guy who needs money to pull out his credit card machine so he can accept a payment from me.
[/tongue planted firmly in cheek]

I don't even have a checkbook, and on the EXTREMELY rare cases when I need a check, I print them from my home computer. To be honest, I can't even remember the last time I used a check.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

One day, as he was showing Thomas Aquinas the glories and wealth of the Vatican, the Pope remarked, "We cannot say with Peter of old, silver and gold have I none"

To which Thomas replied, "Nor can we say, 'Such as I give to thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.'"

~Jim

“We were made not primarily that we may love God but that God may love us. ~C.S. Lewis

I love it too because it's good example against those who claim others aren't healed when prayed for over their own lack of faith in the matter. This man had no such faith and wasn't even looking to be healed.

But if the reply means that Peter was currently broke or just had nothing on him, it erally doesn't matter. God was (and continues to be) more glorified through the obedience of Peter in this matter, over any monetary support that might have been alternately provided.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Act 3:6 Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk."

I'm curious to hear opinions on this passage as to why Peter had no money.

I went to the mall the other day to pick up a shirt. I had no money.

I did have a money clip at home with 300.00. But I didn't have it with me. It doesn't mean I'm poor, it also doesn't mean Peter was penniless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since we're strolling down opinion blvd.

IF Peter and John were poor, why would a poor man beg alms from someone who did not look like they had money to give?

My guess is that the beggar did not pick and choose whom he would ask alms from. He asked alms from everyone, just like panhandlers do today. Apparently, Peter and John had nothing in a material way to give the beggar—silver and gold I do not have.

~Jim

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My guess....

Guesses abound in this thread.

Why did Peter have no money? Does that mean he didn't have any money at all, or does it mean that he had no money on him at the time? Why would someone beg alms from someone who looked as though they had no money?

My question is, what the heck difference does any of this make?

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Guesses abound in this thread.

Why did Peter have no money? Does that mean he didn't have any money at all, or does it mean that he had no money on him at the time? Why would someone beg alms from someone who looked as though they had no money?

My question is, what the heck difference does any of this make?

Yes guesses abound in this thread, and so do opinions and misinterpretations of scripture, but that is what this forum is for, to discuss these things.

But you are right, it makes no difference whether Peter and John went to the temple without their wallets or not. They could have had lots of money at home or they could have been destitute—the scripture does not tell us one way or another.

~Jim

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

~Jim

Love the story. May I use it!

It shows that even Thomas could completely miss it.

Upvote 0