L0NEW0LF

Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
Jul 20, 2012
✟8,018.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Did it take God 6,000 years to create the earth (by earthly standards, that is)?

I'm not sure how I feel about the creation account in Genesis. To be taken literally; or to be taken figuratively, given in a way that we humans can have some understanding?

Anyways, this would play into the "to be taken figuratively" theory.

wordsoflife

Sep 18, 2012
✟2,417.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Did it take God 6,000 years to create the earth (by earthly standards, that is)?

I'm not sure how I feel about the creation account in Genesis. To be taken literally; or to be taken figuratively, given in a way that we humans can have some understanding?

Genisis says in 6 days everything was created. I take that as a literal 6 days.

Upvote 0

barryrob

Mar 20, 2008
✟8,616.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Married

NO!

The days were symbolic days of long periods of time.

Example:-

Genesis 2:4
This is a history of the heavens and the earth in the time of their being created, IN THE DAY that Jehovah God made earth and heaven.

Thus showing the days are symbolic not literal. "In the day" = 6 plus days!

Also we are still in the 7th day which is now over 6,000 yrs long, as God did not say the 7th day had ended!!

The 1,000 yr day is a referance to the 1,000 yr long judgment day of Christ.

rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

How to interpret Genesis is a separate matter to when St. Peter speaks of a day like a thousand years to God. What St. Peter is talking about isn't how to decipher code; but rather to point out that time is irrelevant with God. Genesis 1 should be interpreted on its own merits.

To that end, I don't read Genesis 1 literally; but rather as a theological text expounding upon the purpose and importance of Creation.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
C

Carmella Prochaska

But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent. (2 Peter 3:8-9)

The first thing to note that the context has nothing to do with the days of creation. Also, it is not defining a day because it doesn’t say ‘a day is a thousand years’. The correct understanding is derived from the context—the Apostle Peter’s readers should not lose heart because God seems slow at fulfilling His promises because He is patient, and also because He is not bound by time as we are.

God said he created in 6 days & I believe what he said. I'm surprised he didn't do it all in just 1 second. We were made the same day as the land animals.

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All it means is that time means nothing to God. It is not the key to a code.

:thumbsup:

Also note that how the universe came into being is not the message of genesis 1. The message of genesis 1 is that God is the reason the universe came into being

Upvote 0

angelmom01

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2006
✟50,359.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe God uses the things that we can see (the sun, moon, stars, light, darkness, the heavens and the earth, etc) to teach us about things that we cannot see. I think that is what the creation accounts in Gen are about, rather than the creation of the physical universe itself.

Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This idea of trying to make application to "a day is like a 1000 years and a 1,000 years as a day", is a most dangerous idea of many Christians!

Peter is NOT trying to give a timetable here, or something to measure time by. All he's doing is telling us God is outside of time and therefore we cannot put him on a timetable.

We do better to lean on His grace and mercy, and be about His business! :thumbsup: :amen:

Upvote 0

Eloy

Light
Sep 16, 2012
✟656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There are two acceptable definitions in Genesis for "a day": one is a 24 hour period of time for man's measurement, and the other is one thousand years of time for God's measurement. And both of these measures the "1,000 to 1" ratio, where 1,000 years to man on earth is equal to 1 day to God in heaven, is clearly defined and referenced to Adam's death. Iesous said, in the day you eat of this tree Adam, you will surely die. He ate, and then died 930 years later. Why did Adam not live passed 1000 years? Because God said his day is equal to 1000 years on earth, and Adam ate of the fruit which God prophesied that when he does, on that day he will surely die.

So to answer your question, it took God 6 days to create his creation before he created Adam, and that equals 6000 years of creation to us before he created man upon the earth. Thus Iesous created the world on the night of April 1st 10190 B.C., and on the sixth day Iesous created Adam, the first man, on Friday afternoon on April 1st, 4190 B.C. Amen? Amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There are two acceptable definitions in Genesis for "a day": one is a 24 hour period of time for man's measurement, and the other is one thousand years of time for God's measurement. And both of these measures the "1,000 to 1" ratio, where 1,000 years to man on earth is equal to 1 day to God in heaven, is clearly defined and referenced to Adam's death. Iesous said, in the day you eat of this tree Adam, you will surely die. He ate, and then died 930 years later. Why did Adam not live passed 1000 years? Because God said his day is equal to 1000 years on earth, and Adam ate of the fruit which God prophesied that when he does, on that day he will surely die.

So to answer your question, it took God 6 days to create his creation before he created Adam, and that equals 6000 years of creation to us before he created man upon the earth. Thus Iesous created the world on the night of April 1st 10190 B.C., and on the sixth day Iesous created Adam, the first man, on Friday afternoon on April 1st, 4190 B.C. Amen? Amen.
No. Not at all!!!

What you are doing is something that GOD NEVER DOES. God gave time to man...NOT HIMSELF. To try and make application in this way is HUGE ERROR, because nothing in scripture makes that application.

Again...to take Peter's statement to be a way to apply time to creation, is to miss what Peter was saying altogether!

I'll share with you this link that shows why what you're doing is not right. Do with it as you wish...but it makes the point:

Apologetics Press - “With God One Day is a Thousand Years”?

This is not a way to apply time to God!

Upvote 0

Eloy

Light
Sep 16, 2012
✟656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. Not at all!!!

What you are doing is something that GOD NEVER DOES. God gave time to man...NOT HIMSELF. To try and make application in this way is HUGE ERROR, because nothing in scripture makes that application.

Again...to take Peter's statement to be a way to apply time to creation, is to miss what Peter was saying altogether!

I'll share with you this link that shows why what you're doing is not right. Do with it as you wish...but it makes the point:

Apologetics Press - “With God One Day is a Thousand Years”?

This is not a way to apply time to God!

You post falsehood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You post falsehood.

How so?

Time is a function of this created universe, inseparable from matter/space. In fact, elements of "time" behave according to the law of conservation of energy. Time is a created function of this created universe. God is not created. God is not limited by time just as He is not limited by space.

Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am. I love the Truth, I embrace it and I share it with others.
That's good to hear. So I would encourage you examine what you're embracing using 2 Peter 3:8 because in your post, you are using that to base your thoughts on creation...and if it's true that 2 Peter 3:8 is being wrongly implied, then your premise would be wrong.

It's certainly up to you what you do...but I studied that passage long ago in light of eschatological views I've seen and I had to conclude that 2 Peter 3:8 is not saying "a day IS a thousand years...it's far from saying that.

However like I said...study it for yourself and come to your conclusion.

Upvote 0

barryrob

Mar 20, 2008
✟8,616.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Married

Jesus walked the earth nearly 2,000 years ago, and we are still in the 7th creative day, which is now a lot more than 2,000 years old; so how can the other 6 creative days only be 1,000 years long?

What you say in not logical!

rob

Upvote 0