Significance of saints or "Saints" in Lutheran church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroTX

Apr 11, 2004
Houston, TEXAS
✟540.00
Faith
Christian
Hi guys,

I have been learing about Lutheranism and though I grew up Baptist, there are parts of it that I do appreciate and admire. I'm not necessarily wanting to convert, but depending on what I read and if I find a church I like, ya never know.

In my reading, I haven't come across the significance of saints. I know Catholics have this process of "canonizing" a person as a "Saint"... But I wonder what the Lutherna perspective is. Aren't we all saints? What makes someone get the title "St. whatever" vs. just their name?

Thanks,

Michael

ZeroTX

Apr 11, 2004
Houston, TEXAS
✟540.00
Faith
Christian
Rechtgläubig said:
All believers are "saints", those on earth as well as those in the presence of the Holy Lamb. :D
This is my belief as well. I was just confirming that this is also true of the Lutheran faith. I notice many churches named after saints, in the Catholic-like tradition. The one's I've seen though are the very obvious ones, i.e. "St. Matthew" "St. Mark" etc. I haven't seen any of the more obscure Catholic Saints as a Lutheran church name. Many are not named for saints at all. The one I may try to attend is called "Trinity Lutheran Church" (LMCS). I attended another called "Fishers of Men Lutheran Church" (LMCS), which was okay, but wasn't near my house and was a relatively small congregation of mostly older people. I'm hoping to find someplace with a decent group of people my own age and situation (i.e. single or dating, but no family yet).

Thanks guys,

Michael

Upvote 0

Phoebe

TwoBrickShyOfAFullLoad
Aug 22, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
✟19,524.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Aome of our Festival days in the church are named for saints that have gone before us. I think it is just a way of honoring some of the more prominent saints in history. Some churches probably use a sints name because their mission statement reflects the acts of a particular saint. (they identify with a particular saint) My church is Mount Olivet. In the next town, it's St. Paul's Lutheran Church.

Upvote 0

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While it is true we are all saints, here is something from the Confessions about how we should honor other saints:

Apology of the AC XXI said:
Our confession approves giving hnor to the saints, This hnor is threefold. The first is thanksgiving: we ought to give thanks to God because he has given examples of his mercy, because he has shown that he wants to save humankind, and because he has given teachers and other gifts to the church. Since these are the greatest gifts, they ought to be extolled very highly, and we ought to praise the saints themselves for faithfully using these gifts just as Christ praises faithful managers[Matt. 25:21,23]. The second kind of veneration is the strengthening of our faith. When we see Peter forgiven after his denial, we, too, are encouraged to believe that grace truly superabounds much more over sin [Rom. 5:20]. The third honor is imitation: first of their faith, then of their other virtues, which people should imitate according to their callings.
-James

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.