Sign Language (Deaf) Ministry

Godisgood

A Whosoever
Aug 19, 2003
✟15,467.00
Faith
Christian
Yes. Every Sunday someone signs along with the chruch service. The book they have used to learn sign language is "The Joy of Signing" Two or three times per year, those who sign will sign to music/songs. They usually wear dark clothing and white gloves and the lights are down low. It is really a pretty form of worship. Our church also has some devices that are used to amplify the sound for those who need them.
I am surprised that no one has responded to your post.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As far as I know, there is only one member of our church who is deaf. His wife signs, as well as his mother in law...and also our preacher's wife. Not exactly a ministry, I guess but I think it's nice ALL can 'hear' the Word.

Love, Heather

Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
I'm currently in the process of learning American Sign Language, from a pair of friends who're professional interpreters. It's awesome :)

I also go with them once a month to help with Deaf Club at the state school for the deaf (sort of a youth group/VBS thing for the younger kids), where I find out just how inept I am and how fast little fingers can move :o

I wouldn't say I'm anywhere near "in deaf ministry", but I have a good seat close enough to watch... lol

Upvote 0

Godisgood

A Whosoever
Aug 19, 2003
✟15,467.00
Faith
Christian
Our deaf ministry started by having one person with severe hearing impairment and another woman who works in the public school system in special ed. As far as I know we only have one person in our congregation of over 1,000 who needs an interpreter, but it ministers to all of us. It has blessed me just knowing that that one lady is loved enough and valued enough to start a ministry so she can hear the word and participate in worship. Even more of a blessing because it has been a catalyst for her finding her place of service in the body of Christ.

When the people sign to music we call them "The singing Hands" It's fun to watch the interpreter sign quickly when there is a fast song.

Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
Godisgood said:
Our deaf ministry started by having one person with severe hearing impairment and another woman who works in the public school system in special ed. As far as I know we only have one person in our congregation of over 1,000 who needs an interpreter, but it ministers to all of us. It has blessed me just knowing that that one lady is loved enough and valued enough to start a ministry so she can hear the word and participate in worship. Even more of a blessing because it has been a catalyst for her finding her place of service in the body of Christ.
That's really great :) My friends had one of their deaf friends at church last night at as we were all talking, my Pastor asked what she felt the church could be doing, or what the deaf wanted out of the church.... she said 1: not to be a "group to be reached" but involved and a part of everything, and 2: deaf "role models" who were doing just that. It's cool that your church seems to have a start at that :)

Actually, especially cool because of other stuff I've heard about.... the aforementioned friend went to a large Baptist church for a while where she wasn't allowed to teach a sign language class because she gave a primer on Deaf Culture along with it. Also, their deaf ministry apparently was denied a room of their own because it "wasn't growing" sufficiently. Yeah, she wound up leaving..... anyway, all that to say, it's extremely cool that your church has such a positive attitude about it. :clap:

When the people sign to music we call them "The singing Hands" It's fun to watch the interpreter sign quickly when there is a fast song.
heehee :D you should see my friends interpret songs by Disciple .......

Upvote 0

Salsa_1960

Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I used to belong to a church that had a deaf ministry. I have since moved. I miss it. I used to sit up front and join in. I got to making friends with "Peter" and learned quite a bit of ASL. I can sign basic words and many songs but find it hard to join in on a normal deaf conversation. (It goes so quickly). I can "speak" in ASL much more easily than I can "read" or interpret it. I actually did fill in for the interpreter once or twice. I didn't do very well, but I tried. :)

At the church where I now attend, I sing with the praise worship team. I also sign (note the spelling) most of the songs that I sing. The praise choruses especially. (I can't handle the old fashioned hymns like "Rock of Ages" very well. (I mean, how in the world do you sign "cleft for me")? :scratch:

I wondered what the congregation thought of this. I wondered if they were getting anything out of it, but I've gotten comments from people that they really enjoy watching the signing during the songs. Also, maybe it will encourage someone to bring a person who is deaf or hard of hearing to our church some day.

~Sandy

PS I also have the book "The Joy of Signing."

Upvote 0

live3him

There goes the deaf girl
Apr 18, 2004
California
✟128.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I am deaf myself. My church has a deaf ministry.. it is pretty cool. We, both hearing and deaf, are a number of about 100 members. MSCC provides both a hearing and deaf pastor. We always have interpreters for each other, whenever the deaf pastor gives a message, we have a voice interpreter (someone who voices what the pastor is signing) and whenever the hearing pastor talks, we have a sign language interpreter. There are about 30-40 deaf members (all ages). It is a wonderful church because everybody comes together and the deaf members are always involved. We also provide sign language classes for 45 minutes before service. There is also an interpreter for youth group as well as bible study as well as wednesday night meetings. My church is wonderful at trying to make everything accessable for the deaf :) I love it very much.

Reactions: Cright
Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
sandinmyears said:
I can "speak" in ASL much more easily than I can "read" or interpret it.
I have the same problem... well, that and confidence. "Oooh... a deaf person! A chance to use an hone my skills! MUST RUN!!!" :p

(I can't handle the old fashioned hymns like "Rock of Ages" very well. (I mean, how in the world do you sign "cleft for me")? :scratch:
My friend who teaches ASL always works this problem into the last few classes, which cover religious signing. I mean, if you just interpret "I'll fly away" literally.... you end up more or less singing "I'll catch a plane, oh glory...." And what about "Are you washed in the blood of the lamb"? You get that with all music but old hymns have the combination of that sort of thing AND archaic language.... :p

Upvote 0

plum

my thoughts are free
Nov 30, 2003
✟48,380.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
At Hope College we have an English sign language ministry (they don't use ASL grammar). This group learns the signs to worship lyrics and Christian terms so that they can interperet songs at local churches. They also put on concerts during the year and sign along with the Hope Gospel Choir of which I am a member. This is a HUGELY beneficial ministry, even to a student body with very few hearing impaired. It is lovely, powerful, and brings us into a deeper sense of worship.
My sister is becoming an ASL interpereter and one day perhaps I will follow in her steps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

vtarrence

May 13, 2004
✟112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
live3him said:
I am deaf myself. My church has a deaf ministry.. it is pretty cool. We, both hearing and deaf, are a number of about 100 members. MSCC provides both a hearing and deaf pastor. We always have interpreters for each other, whenever the deaf pastor gives a message, we have a voice interpreter (someone who voices what the pastor is signing) and whenever the hearing pastor talks, we have a sign language interpreter. There are about 30-40 deaf members (all ages). It is a wonderful church because everybody comes together and the deaf members are always involved. We also provide sign language classes for 45 minutes before service. There is also an interpreter for youth group as well as bible study as well as wednesday night meetings. My church is wonderful at trying to make everything accessable for the deaf :) I love it very much.
I am excited about the Deaf ministry at your church. Most hearing churches have not figured out how to make their churches accessible to the d/Deaf community, much less provide both hearing and Deaf pastors. I like that idea.

What bothers me most is that when a hearing church decides to start a Deaf ministry it is basically an interpreting ministry to interpret the message and that is about all. I like the idea of have a church to accommadate both hearing, HOH, d/Deaf people. May God bless your church richley.

valarie

Upvote 0

SignsOfLife

Nov 9, 2004
✟112.00
Faith
Christian
Hello, my name is Laura. I'm 18 and in an ASL interpreter program working towards getting certified as an interpreter. I am looking for any praise and worship songs that people might have translated into ASL. I enjoy signing along with P & W songs for our college age group but i dont' yet know how to really translate some of the songs properly. If you have any insight I'd greatly apreciate it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums