Show everyone how terrible capitalism is with these AOC-branded $60 shirts!

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Official AOC Shop

Why donate $58 to an organization actually dedicated to providing clean water, when you can spend that money on a "Clean Water For All" AOC branded sweatshirt?

Why on earth would you ever want to spend your money on paying down your voluntarily-acquired student loan when you could instead buy a wildly overpriced t-shirt to virtue signal to everyone else about how some evil rich guy should have to pay for your gender studies degree?

Now, all snark aside... with their common enemy (Trump) out of the way, I think we're primed to see a different type of "politics feud", and that is, a feud between far-left and center-left democrats.

Up until now, it's been sort of an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach, but if anyone thought things like petty twitter wars were or cheap shots are over because Donnie is leaving, think again.

With their common enemy out of the way, people like AOC and Joe Manchin (Senate Democrat) have been taking shots at each other on Twitter.

Democrats like Abigail Spanberger blamed the "woke-wing" of the democrats for why they lost seats (in districts where Biden handily beat Trump), and James Clyburn publicly equated "defund the police" with “burn, baby, burn,” the street chant that “destroyed our movement back in the ’60s.”

As Obama eloquently said, he felt that Democrats were running the risk of creating a "circular firing squad", in which everyone is aiming at the common enemy from different directions, and as soon as that target in the middle drops, they start shooting each other.

If the RNC is smart (and I have my doubts based on the conduct over the past 2 years but we'll see), they'll lay low for the next year, then encourage their moderate members of the house and senate to play nice with the moderate members of the Democrats in congress, and that'll further exacerbate that division and then run a moderate candidate of their own like Charlie Baker or maybe lean on someone like Bill Weld to be the "new face of the republicans"

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Official AOC Shop

Why donate $58 to an organization actually dedicated to providing clean water, when you can spend that money on a "Clean Water For All" AOC branded sweatshirt?

Is it just AOC campaign contributions you have a problem with, or all of them?

Gotta say, picking on the campaign contributions of 1 member of the house seems a bit petty.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it just AOC campaign contributions you have a problem with, or all of them?

Gotta say, picking on the campaign contributions of 1 member of the house seems a bit petty.

I personally don't have a problem with individual campaign contributions to anyone.

Where I see the disconnect is in the rhetoric vs. actions.

Demonizing rich people and capitalism, then selling $65 shirts (you know who pays $65 for a shirt?, people with money who shop at Saks...I have a decent income and you won't see me spending $65 on a hoodie)

...or the notion that "These student loans have me so raked over the coals, that I'm going to pay $50 for a shirt to let everyone know that" are counterintuitive.

It's basically like if I were a politician who ran on the idea that "we need to really crack down on the animal agriculture industry because it's unethical and damaging", and then propped up a website selling beef jerky to help financially support my campaign.

These AOC-branded garments are basically the left wing version of a MAGA hat.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I personally don't have a problem with individual campaign contributions to anyone.

Then your whole post is befuzzling.

Demonizing rich people and capitalism, then selling $65 shirts (you know who pays $65 for a shirt?, people with money who shop at Saks...I have a decent income and you won't see me spending $65 on a hoodie)

...or the notion that "These student loans have me so raked over the coals, that I'm going to pay $50 for a shirt to let everyone know that" are counterintuitive.

It's basically like if I were a politician who ran on the idea that "we need to really crack down on the animal agriculture industry because it's unethical and damaging", and then propped up a website selling beef jerky to help financially support my campaign.

They're campaign contributions. How can you start by saying you don't have a problem with campaign contributions and then go on about how you have a problem with campaign contributions? It makes no sense. Who cares what format the campaign contributions take?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,435.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Official AOC Shop

Why on earth would you ever want to spend your money on paying down your voluntarily-acquired student loan when you could instead buy a wildly overpriced t-shirt to virtue signal to everyone else about how some evil rich guy should have to pay for your gender studies degree?

Now, all snark aside... with their common enemy (Trump) out of the way, I think we're primed to see a different type of "politics feud", and that is, a feud between far-left and center-left democrats.

Up until now, it's been sort of an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach, but if anyone thought things like petty twitter wars were or cheap shots are over because Donnie is leaving, think again.

With their common enemy out of the way, people like AOC and Joe Manchin (Senate Democrat) have been taking shots at each other on Twitter.

Democrats like Abigail Spanberger blamed the "woke-wing" of the democrats for why they lost seats (in districts where Biden handily beat Trump), and James Clyburn publicly equated "defund the police" with “burn, baby, burn,” the street chant that “destroyed our movement back in the ’60s.”

As Obama eloquently said, he felt that Democrats were running the risk of creating a "circular firing squad", in which everyone is aiming at the common enemy from different directions, and as soon as that target in the middle drops, they start shooting each other.

If the RNC is smart (and I have my doubts based on the conduct over the past 2 years but we'll see), they'll lay low for the next year, then encourage their moderate members of the house and senate to play nice with the moderate members of the Democrats in congress, and that'll further exacerbate that division and then run a moderate candidate of their own like Charlie Baker or maybe lean on someone like Bill Weld to be the "new face of the republicans"

Likely much the same as will happen with the republicans. I recall there was predictions of this internal conflict and a shift in both parties as the demographics changed. I think we are going to start to see new alliances formed as the parties rethink their political positions.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree. But if Trump runs again, who knows what they will do.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
This falls in the “outrage de jour” files:
Campaign commercials and “fund raising” threads can be fun, and it’s actually nice to see one, as it gets us away from The Other Stuff...

That said,
everybody knows that they’re “overpriced” that’s how “donations” (and curiously) money-laundering, work!

At least she’s not raffling off firearms, (not that there’s anything “illegal” about that, on it’s face).

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟606,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Her Hoodies are $65.00 which is 10.00 more than Trump's. Her sweats shirts are $58.00

Her hats are $3-8 less and Tshirts $3.00 less than Trump's.

Keep America Great Hoodie - Navy

Official Make America Great Again 45th President Hat - Red

Official Make America Great Again 45th President Hat - Red

Black Voices for Trump Hat

BTW, all the anti lgbt actions Trump has taken, can you believe they have a Trump Pride shirt? lol...

Trump Pride 2020 Ringer Tee

His stuff now says made in the USA. I wonder if that has changed since he was ridiculed for hats made in China, or if the hats still come from China but are embroidered here where they count that as made in the USA.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

This isn’t “rich people and capitalism.” It’s American-made products marked up to fund her campaign. If the price seems high, it’s because you’ve been conditioned to low prices enabled by capitalists manufacturing their products in sweatshops.

Also, you apparently haven’t shopped for clothes in a while. Unless Dick’s Sporting Goods is the new Saks, there are plenty of everyday brands charging this much and more for hoodies. Personally, I have a couple of RVCA hooded t-shirts that run about $50 each.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f/hoodies-for-men

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Her Hoodies are $65.00 which is 10.00 more than Trump's. Her sweats shirts are $58.00
I would consider her shirts and hoodies more valuable than Trump's......

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This falls in the “outrage de jour” files:
Campaign commercials and “fund raising” threads can be fun, and it’s actually nice to see one, as it gets us away from The Other Stuff...

That said,
everybody knows that they’re “overpriced” that’s how “donations” (and curiously) money-laundering, work!

At least she’s not raffling off firearms, (not that there’s anything “illegal” about that, on it’s face).

...but were any of those firearm raffles being done by people who had taken a public "we need more gun control" stance?

That would be the key distinction.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Likely much the same as will happen with the republicans. I recall there was predictions of this internal conflict and a shift in both parties as the demographics changed. I think we are going to start to see new alliances formed as the parties rethink their political positions.

I would hope so...

Had republicans had anyone even remotely moderate, Biden wouldn't have had a slam dunk victory.

He basically campaigned very little and was able to coast to victory on account of how unpopular his opponent was.

During a time when a substantial portion of the left was reciting the mantra of "we need to stop having politics dominated by old white men" and "we need some fresh ideas on criminal justice reform", Biden (a fairly old white dude who authored the crime bill) would've had his hands full if the moderates in the country had another somewhat reasonable choice.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Then your whole post is befuzzling.

They're campaign contributions. How can you start by saying you don't have a problem with campaign contributions and then go on about how you have a problem with campaign contributions? It makes no sense. Who cares what format the campaign contributions take?

It's the hypocrisy/consumerism aspect that's problematic.

A) Consumerism is a critical aspect of capitalism
B) If you have enough money to buy a $65 virtue-signaling hoodie, you don't need to be asking for someone else to pay off your student loan.

So if she was a moderate democrat, who touted the benefits of capitalism and self-reliance, and she wanted to prop up a website selling merch which her ideas, no issues.

Like I mentioned before, if I was a candidate running on the principles that we need to push everyone toward veganism, and then set up a website selling Beef Jerky to raise campaign funds, it would be hypocritical.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

B) If you have enough money to buy a $65 virtue-signaling hoodie, you don't need to be asking for someone else to pay off your student loan.

The hoodie is a byproduct. What you actually are saying is if you have enough money to donate $65 to the AOC campaign, you don't need to be asking for someone else to pay off your student loan.

I'd disagree on that I think, assuming I could some how get it to make some kind of sense.

Your constant misdirection as to the nature of the website in question is, as I said, perplexing..

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The hoodie is a byproduct. What you actually are saying is if you have enough money to donate $65 to the AOC campaign, you don't need to be asking for someone else to pay off your student loan.

I'd disagree on that I think, assuming I could some how get it to make some kind of sense.

Your constant misdirection as to the nature of the website in question is, as I said, perplexing..

So if someone is behind on their student loan debt and can't afford to make the payments, you'd consider a $65 sweatshirt a smart buy? (when you can buy one that will keep you just as warm for $20 at Target?)

I understand the nature of the website...it's a 31 year old (who's demonstrated on more than one occasion that she doesn't understand economics and world history) using capitalism to her advantage to virtue signal about how bad capitalism is.

Is the next offering on her website going to be BDS-branded Yarmulkes?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,720.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am sure her t-shirts' profits are a tiny fraction of the outgoing president's merch sales, and no one complains about that.

I wouldn't buy either. AOC is too young to be my role model, although I'd vote for her in a NY minute.

And I would be embarrassed to wear a MAGA hat.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟606,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

So if she was a moderate democrat, who touted the benefits of capitalism and self-reliance, and she wanted to prop up a website selling merch which her ideas, no issues.

Like I mentioned before, if I was a candidate running on the principles that we need to push everyone toward veganism, and then set up a website selling Beef Jerky to raise campaign funds, it would be hypocritical.

Do you have data that shows the people buying her tshirts also have student loans?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So if someone is behind on their student loan debt and can't afford to make the payments, you'd consider a $65 sweatshirt a smart buy? (when you can buy one that will keep you just as warm for $20 at Target?)

I understand the nature of the website...it's a 31 year old (who's demonstrated on more than one occasion that she doesn't understand economics and world history) using capitalism to her advantage to virtue signal about how bad capitalism is.

Again, this isn't capitalism. It's fundraising.

And what makes you think her target audience is supporters who are behind on their student loan payments?

You're a smart guy, but this whole thread is a pretty dumb strawman.

Upvote 0