Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Zacchaeus was not a Christian, he was a Jew I think.

The apostles were dirt poor fisherman. They weren't wealthy in any respect. The boats they used may not have even been theirs, they might have belonged to their masters.

Yeshua told his followers to abandon all. Even Peter said, "We have abandoned all - including our spouses- to follow you." Yeshua was pleased with this.
So you don't consider Zacchaeus a Christian?

And Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, since he also is a son of Abraham. For the Son of man came to seek and to save the lost.”

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and King David were made wealthy and did not die martyrs' deaths. Should we conclude that they were followers of mammon or that David was not a man after God's own heart?

I don't think so. What we're dealing with here is a pendulum swinging from one extreme to another, but what's wrong in both cases is always the same: pride and self-righteousness.

That being the case, I'll reiterate what I said earlier: if you want to be worthy of eternal life, then do exactly what Christ did, give up all that you have, die on a cross to give us the gift of yourself and save the world. Moreover, if your hand or eye causes you to sin, it would be better to dismember yourself than to burn in hell.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Should we sell everything to be saved?

Matthew 19:19, 21 NET
honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself .” Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be perfect, go sell your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
Does this verse say "sell" or "sell all/everything"?

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, the kingdom of God never figured before Christ:

Luke 11
20But if I drive out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you

Second, Zachaeus negotiated terms of peace with the king.

Third, Ananias was free to do what he wanted with the proceeds of the sale of his property : negotiate a lesser requirement or go the whole nine yards. According to the faith given to him.

Please study why Ananias lied to the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
That verse doesn't say to sell everything for everyone, but this one does:

Luke 12:33

Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.
I see "sell that ye have" not "sell all that ye have".

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Yeshua had nothing and calls is to follow him. Don't make excuses to justify your sin.
Sin is transgression of the Law. There is nothing in Torah that says "possessions = sin".

Yehoshua Messiah indeed had possessions, including His robes and tzitzit. Or, perhaps, did He walk around naked?

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I see "sell that ye have" not "sell all that ye have".
It also in no decent translation says "some'. But I'm not telling you YOU must sell all of your possessions.....That's definitely not my job. I note Christ did not require this of all He met. Just those who had made those possessions their gods. It's a heart thing. One must be willing to do just that when asked of God.

I remember long ago praying a silly prayer: "Lord I am willing to do whatever you would have me do. Just, please don't send me to some dark mosquito ridden place of poverty and sorrow."
Guess where I found happiness?

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
It also in no decent translation says "some'. But I'm not telling you YOU must sell all of your possessions.....That's definitely not my job. I note Christ did not require this of all He met. Just those who had made those possessions their gods. It's a heart thing. One must be willing to do just that when asked of God.

I remember long ago praying a silly prayer: "Lord I am willing to do whatever you would have me do. Just, please don't send me to some dark mosquito ridden place of poverty and sorrow."
Guess where I found happiness?
I agree that possessions can become a god.

Also, we are not owners, but stewards of whatever YHVH provides us with. It's when the steward falsely imagines himself to be an owner does he gets himself in trouble.

That's what I see Messiah preaching against to certain individuals.

We should always be prepared to give away what we have been entrusted with to those in need. It's not that possessions themselves are bad, it's the attitude and selfishness that comes with attachment to them that is bad.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
You are right. I am speaking as a Christian foremost, not as a Jew. In the Torah, financial prosperity is a blessing only. In the new covenant and under the teachings of Rabbi Yeshua, it is a curse and very hard for a rich man to enter heaven. Things changed when Yeshua came.

Yeshua had clothes on his back, but that was all he had.
Possessions can become a curse because it inclines men to become selfish and greedy, the opposite of love for others. Therefore, it is difficult for the rich to enter heaven - they are not usually loving (and generous) individuals.

Possessions themselves are neutral. What one makes of them makes it good or bad.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Not true. I have met many rich people who are very kind and extremely generous and many, many poor people who are exceptionally greedy, vulgar and unspiritual. That of course is besides my point though. We are all called to give it all away unto the LORD, from the poorest beggar to the richest fatcat.
I disagree. I believe we are called to give away our excess for YHVH's purposes (including widows, orphans, etc.) as a way to fulfill the greatest commandments, and only to keep absolutely what we need to live.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Should we sell everything to be saved?

Matthew 19:19, 21 NET
honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself .” Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be perfect, go sell your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

the passage is speaking about being perfected . this isn't speaking about being saved but about having treasure when you get there . if you're not going to that place .. then it doesn't matter how much you store up

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
What do you consider "excess"? Is owning a home excess? What about a vehicle? What is the dollar amount by which one can own a vehicle without it being classified as excessive? The same question for possessions.
I don't believe in clear lines drawn in the sand. Each individual's circumstances are between Him and YHVH.

The Pharisees also tried to draw clear-cut rules which were supposed to apply to everybody at all times, but I believe Messiah taught that it didn't work like that.

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree that possessions can become a god.

Also, we are not owners, but stewards of whatever YHVH provides us with. It's when the steward falsely imagines himself to be an owner does he gets himself in trouble.

That's what I see Messiah preaching against to certain individuals.

We should always be prepared to give away what we have been entrusted with to those in need. It's not that possessions themselves are bad, it's the attitude and selfishness that comes with attachment to them that is bad.

I find myself in agreement. Stewards not hoarders.

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What do you consider "excess"? Is owning a home excess? What about a vehicle? What is the dollar amount by which one can own a vehicle without it being classified as excessive? The same question for possessions.

So a Ferrari Testarossa might be a bit over the top?^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rev Randy

Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Public transportation is available so Christians do not need to own personal vehicles. Philip teleported to where he needed to be in Acts 8.

Well, come to my little town and set on those non-existent bus benches and wait on that bus that does not come here. We have no taxi service either. The Greyhound doesn't even stop here. But I suppose I could walk the 100 miles to Panama City and catch a bus.:doh:
I drive a 13 year old dodge. Give me a break dude. Should I also sell my Jazzy scooter and crawl to the mailbox?

Upvote 0
N

Nanopants

Public libraries and agencies have internet access people can use for jobs and personal use (with filters). No ownership required and no fees for using these public services.

So everything should be a public, government-owned resource? No free market? No free trade? How do you suppose that will work with keeping people healthy and happy?

Upvote 0

TheGMan

Follower of Jesus of Nazareth
Aug 25, 2005
London
✟9,761.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
My feeling is that the command of Jesus is probably addressed not just to the rich young man but to anyone who searches too hard for a reason why it isn't addressed to them.

And me as well. G-d have mercy on me, the sinner.

Upvote 0