Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our gas giant planets have lots of moons, but I feel like we should say a body has to be big enough to be spherical to be classified as a moon; just call it a satellite otherwise, or dwarf moons. What is the size requirement now? How many moons would there be in the solar system if we chose this requirement?

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,593.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I like the idea that it's a moon if it has sufficient gravity to form a sphere, and the barycentre is within the boundary of its companion. But I'm no astronomer...
Phew, Luna just scrapes in then.

(I guess it'd be a pretty crummy definition of moon if "The Moon" didn't qualify.)

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Our gas giant planets have lots of moons, but I feel like we should say a body has to be big enough to be spherical to be classified as a moon; just call it a satellite otherwise, or dwarf moons.
A change like this would require benefits that outweighed the disadvantages. There are three constituencies in that regard: professional astronomers, interested bystanders, the general public. In reverse order:
  • The general public wouldn't care one way or the other. If they did notice it, half of them would put it down to pedantic footering with unimportant detail by ivory-towered losers; the other half would complain that this is how our tax money is wasted.
  • The interested bystanders might find the distinction sensible and therefore useful. They might also find it reminiscent of the excellent/spiteful, ill-conceived/brilliant decision to reclassify Pluto.
  • The professional astronomers, while applauding the logic, would see no particular benefit, but a definite risk for internecine debate of how it should be done.
In regard to naming the objects I suggest (not too seriously) the following:
  • Fully spherical bodies - moons - the sphericity emphasised by the double 'o'
  • Sub-speherical bodies - mons - the limited sphericity indicated by the single 'o'
  • Small, irregular bodies - mins - no spherical 'o' and small size
And, obviously, artificial satellites would be called - mans

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
... just call it a satellite otherwise, or dwarf moons.
First you have to figure out how we got our moon (there are some seven different theories as to how we got our moon; let alone all the others in our solar system). If you can't figure it out, then do second best and just arrive at a census.

Then you have to change the dictionary definition of "moon."

Then you have to rig a vote by waiting until the planetary astronomers are gone.

If you're successful, two things may happen:

1. The American Dialect Society might coin a new term.

2. All science textbooks will have to be updated to reflect the new changes, forcing college students to purchase the new, updated AV2021 King James McGraw-Hill science textbooks at the college bookstore for about $275.00 more added to their tuition.

Piece of cake.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Phew, Luna just scrapes in then.

(I guess it'd be a pretty crummy definition of moon if "The Moon" didn't qualify.)

There is a strong argument to be made for the earth-moon system to be a double planet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
There is a strong argument to be made for the earth-moon system to be a double planet.
I love that as an idea, but the moon has only 1.2% of the mass of the Earth. How can one justify calling that set up a double planet.

Upvote 0