Should we Calvinists boycott the Soteriology Forum?

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The Soteriology forum has become overrun with anti-Calvinists, and seemingly with the Moderators' blessing. I have been asked by an anonymous source to consider calling for a boycott of that particular forum by Calvinists. I have posted almost exclusively there for several years, and lately, it has become a cesspool of semi-pelagian hogwash, and anti-Calvinist bigotry. there are several who believe their main mission in life is to defeat Calvinism at any and all costs. One in particular flames, baits, and insults, in order to report the responses and get the mods to do his dirty work. They seemingly have no problem with the slander, and outright lies he posts, and give him a pass on breaking the stated rules of the forum. However, Calvinists are held to the strictest interpretation of said rules.

Apparently, if one is a contributor to this site, one can get away with all sorts of devious and sinful behavior, with a wink and a nod from the mods. I refuse to contribute, until such time as I see truly godly handling of the problems this site has had over the last couple of years. That's probably why I am now being muzzled.

Should we Calvinists abandon the Soteriology Forum for a time, and let the quality of debate fall to the point where even the anti-Calvinists get disgusted?

What think ye?

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The Soteriology forum has become overrun with anti-Calvinists, and seemingly with the Moderators' blessing. I have been asked by an anonymous source to consider calling for a boycott of that particular forum by Calvinists. I have posted almost exclusively there for several years, and lately, it has become a cesspool of semi-pelagian hogwash, and anti-Calvinist bigotry. there are several who believe their main mission in life is to defeat Calvinism at any and all costs. One in particular flames, baits, and insults, in order to report the responses and get the mods to do his dirty work. They seemingly have no problem with the slander, and outright lies he posts, and give him a pass on breaking the stated rules of the forum. However, Calvinists are held to the strictest interpretation of said rules.

Apparently, if one is a contributor to this site, one can get away with all sorts of devious and sinful behavior, with a wink and a nod from the mods. I refuse to contribute, until such time as I see truly godly handling of the problems this site has had over the last couple of years. That's probably why I am now being muzzled.

Should we Calvinists abandon the Soteriology Forum for a time, and let the quality of debate fall to the point where even the anti-Calvinists get disgusted?

What think ye?

I've been boycotting the Soteriology Forum for over a year. Apparently, nobody's noticed. :D

Upvote 0

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Nobdysfool,

I salute you for having the temperament to regularly engage so many heretics in futile debate in that forum.

I don't have the patience or inclination to be exposed to large doses of false doctrine on a regular basis. I quickly found the whole GT forum experience so depressing I stopped viewing or commenting there entirely.

So I wouldn't be of help as I already boycott it.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Brother, I tried to become a moderator in the GT area when all this new change was brought about.

I have been moderating too long in the congregational area. My RT education, and the way things are handled here in the congregational area put me at odds with the entire staff of the theology team.

After one week, I asked to be removed from the theology moderating staff.

Its just that bad.

Oliver Prince Smith of the 1st Marine Division said during the onslaught of the Chineese soldiers in Korea:

Retreat hell, we're advancing in a different direction!

Its all in your perspective.

We might give a little ground here, but we'll gain it back in the end.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Reactions: desmalia
Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I also abanded that room a long time ago. I realized that those who oppose the truth of God will never be convinced by arguments no matter how well presented or Scriptural. They simply hate the God of Scripture and will not bow to Him. Let them have the room. Perhaps it will die or they will devour themselves. Either way neither God's truth or us are harmed.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I want to take this time to again apologize to one and all.

It seems that everything I do here lately, every report I work, every comment I make is coming under not only constant scrutiny, but even my team members are questioning my judgment on matters concerning Baptist beliefs and doctrine.

Every time I make a comment in here on stuff I observe in other areas, I'm quick to be jumped on, accused of setting myself as "perfect" as one member of the theology team called me, or just plain old told that tit, don't have anything to do with tat.

Unless I am specifically asked for my opinin, I shall refrain from posting in this area until further notice. I have also notified them that I will continue to do my duties in each area, I will offer my opinion on reports, but that will be the extent of it.

I have also PMed all of the moderators of the areas I work with, that I will no longer be posting there either. (i.e. Baptist, Fundamentalist, and here in the Semper Reformanda areas)

I am accused of harassment, being beligerant, and I've even had one member of the Baptist area question as to whether I'm a Christain or not.

I'm getting really sick and tired of it all, fast!

But before I go, let me say that I'm 100% in favor of boycotting the Soterilogy room. And I will stand in solidarity with my SR brothers and sisters in this!

May God bless you one and all.

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

What think ye?

Hi bro!

I can only speak for myself , once I used to post there every day putting up with much futility and hoping that bypassers could gain some understanding , until a day came when certain posters began getting personal looking through my home[page for anything that they could use against me , like Rock bands I listen to , and they did , so my realisation that dirty underhanded tactics were being used because "Calvinism" or "the doctrines of Grace" could not be overturned left me with a bitter taste and a feeling on total distrust about certain Christians in that forum....... and I quit

as you know I have not posted in there since , and see no reason to post there ever again.

My only advice to anyone posting there would be to give out as little personal information as you can about yourself , some Christians act like little dictators and will attempt to assassinate your character because they cannot win their arguement :(

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

What think ye?

While I believe that the true reading of the scriptures leads one to Calvinism, I think it is stupid to debate it to the extent that the anti-Calvinists take it. IMO, they should be out there confronting heresies and helping God to claim the lost instead of tearing down other believers.

Sheesh. :doh:

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I want to take this time to again apologize to one and all.

It seems that everything I do here lately, every report I work, every comment I make is coming under not only constant scrutiny, but even my team members are questioning my judgment on matters concerning Baptist beliefs and doctrine.

Every time I make a comment in here on stuff I observe in other areas, I'm quick to be jumped on, accused of setting myself as "perfect" as one member of the theology team called me, or just plain old told that tit, don't have anything to do with tat.

Unless I am specifically asked for my opinin, I shall refrain from posting in this area until further notice. I have also notified them that I will continue to do my duties in each area, I will offer my opinion on reports, but that will be the extent of it.

I have also PMed all of the moderators of the areas I work with, that I will no longer be posting there either. (i.e. Baptist, Fundamentalist, and here in the Semper Reformanda areas)

I am accused of harassment, being beligerant, and I've even had one member of the Baptist area question as to whether I'm a Christain or not.

I'm getting really sick and tired of it all, fast!

But before I go, let me say that I'm 100% in favor of boycotting the Soterilogy room. And I will stand in solidarity with my SR brothers and sisters in this!

May God bless you one and all.

Till all are one.

Deacon Dean, I was cautioned about carrying a Calvinist icon and posting in here when I was on staff because much of staff is so opposed to Calvinism that it would prejudice everyone against you without them even knowing your position on issues.

I'm sorry to see it is still happening.

God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seekingpurity047

Why am I not surprised
Apr 12, 2005
Brooklin
✟4,248.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hey... in my opinion, I think we should do more than simply boycott the GT threads (especially Soteriology). Personally, I think it's time to call for a little bit of... protest. Seriously, if this is going on in the moderation of the forums, you know full well that there is a flaw in the website itself. Freedoms are being violated, etc etc. It's just ridiculous... ahem PIA...

Reactions: xapis
Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seems like the key issue is the moderation of the forum.

Maybe asking a Reconciliation Team member to help that issue be addressed might be an avenue.

Also posting in the Complaint Box brings the issue to the attention of staff outside that forum.

If neither of these are given serious attention, then go to Mnphysicist and Constance with a copy to LeeD.

Beyond that I think it is futile.

As for me I gave up a few months back. And since I have lowered my expectations and become a Repaholic I don't regret it.

RepDaddy
(aka drstevej)

Reactions: xapis
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seekingpurity047

Why am I not surprised
Apr 12, 2005
Brooklin
✟4,248.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Seems like the key issue is the moderation of the forum.

Maybe asking a Reconciliation Team member to help that issue be addressed might be an avenue.

Also posting in the Complaint Box brings the issue to the attention of staff outside that forum.

If neither of these are given serious attention, then go to Mnphysicist and Constance with a copy to LeeD.

Beyond that I think it is futile.

As for me I gave up a few months back. And since I have lowered my expectations and become a Repaholic I don't regret it.

RepDaddy
(aka drstevej)

Hey! That's where you went! I was wondering what happened to you!

Reactions: drstevej
Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,712.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hey... in my opinion, I think we should do more than simply boycott the GT threads (especially Soteriology). Personally, I think it's time to call for a little bit of... protest. Seriously, if this is going on in the moderation of the forums, you know full well that there is a flaw in the website itself. Freedoms are being violated, etc etc. It's just ridiculous... ahem PIA...
YUP

I think we should have our own Soteriology thread , maybe a sticky..........
I was thinking that recently as well. People love to hack and slander Calvinists (and fundies) all over CF and a lot of the staff is fine with that. At least there is some degree of control over it here. If there is a Soteriology thread for debate within the SR fourm, maybe we'll see actual serious debaters and some interesting, respectful conversation, PROPERLY moderated for a change.

Upvote 0

bradfordl

Veteran
Mar 20, 2006
✟17,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I guess I'm too Calvinist. I don't think I've posted more than a couple of times there, and then only at the behest of others. What is the point? I learned a long time ago that there are simply those who refuse to read scripture with their minds instead of their heritage or emotions. I am incapable of convincing the blind to see, nor is it my calling.

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I come and go like the wind over on the sotoriology forums. I've been debating with Ben for over 12 years now! I can't believe it - yikes! We used to go toe-to-toe on some other message boards before Christian Forums was around.

Interesting thing about ole Ben - he is the one who turned this easy gracer OSAS proponent onto CF - where I was soon introduced to Calvinism and the doctrines of grace. The rest is history.

So despite my disagreements and continued debates there - this is why I plan on going back. I do believe some of our proponents have some good things to offer - and I feel it is good to be challenged on a regular basis. Let's face it - we just aren't going to get that in our Reformed churches where we are all of like minds.

Having said all that I am currently taking a break from the Sot forums. It's easy to get burned out over there and I highly recommend it NBF.

I have had issues with only two posters over there - whom are fairly new. I felt they were getting too insulting and just down right mean (particularly when they called Calvinism a cult and railed that we were all going to hell) - and since I've called them out by reporting them on a regular basis every time did they did that they have seemed to back off - at least with me.

And let's be honest - we all can get pretty heated over there. Nobody can claim perfection on this. I'm certainly not. When my attitude and motivation becomes one of revenge and "one-uping" the anti-calvinist posters over there - rather than sharpening my own understanding of scripture - that is when I bow out for a little while. Like I am currently doing.

Upvote 0

xapis

Soli Deo gloria!
Jul 1, 2004
Lambsburg, VA
Visit site
✟10,964.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

A peasant revolt?
Count me in. I'll bring the glass bottles.

Reactions: cygnusx1
Upvote 0